Start by marking “Hard Target (Cobra Elite, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hard Target (Cobra Elite, #1)

Hard Target

(Cobra Elite #1)

Published April 25th 2019 by Pamela Clare

To ask other readers questions about Hard Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Target

Mindy Lou's Book Review
What a fantastic read! 75% of Hard Target is set in Afghanistan where our heroine, Jenna is volunteering to work as a Midwife as well as training the women of Afghanistan. When her father finds out, he calls up our hero, Derek to bully him into bringing her back home where it's safe.

This read was a bit of an eye opener. I was pretty fascinated to read the struggles Jenna had to teach the women of Afghanistan about their bodies and how to help prevent needless deaths in pregnancy. She willingly t
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC received for review

Great new series from Ms. Clare.

Derek and Jenna are great together. I love her fire and passion for her job. I did want to smack Derek a couple times when he was moving too slow.

You may remember his business partner from Striking Distance which makes me wanna go back and read his partner's HEA again. (I did go reread Striking Distance, and am glad I don't remember Derek from it cause he was a great big jerk.)

Lots of hot guys in Cobra who I can't wait to learn more about
Jonetta
Derek Tower is the co-owner of Cobra International Security and was pressured into a new assignment by an influential US senator who can control his company’s destiny. The senator wants his daughter, Jenna Hamilton, removed from a women’s clinic in Afghanistan. Jenna is a nurse and midwife who is six months into a two-year volunteer assignment and she’s not leaving. Derek thought he could give it a week before he successfully extracted her or abandoned the assignment but things turned dangerous ...more
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Ugh. I think I might have liked a couple of this author's books before. I have a vague impression.

Not this one tho.

Soooo trite! Two should-be independent, intelligent, awesome characters turned out to be just meh at best, irritating at worst.

Firstly, I'm all for physical attraction, but can you, heroine, STOP going on about his gorgeous hard muscled body every other sentence??? How about his confidence, calm, ability to defuse difficult situations (the ones you created with your big fat, though
Saly
This one was pretty average and a typical read from the author. We have a do-gooder heroine, action-oriented hero and a lot of waxing poetic on personal appearance. The problem for me was the romance plot didn't work for me. I could agree they were in lust, it is the deeper feelings that didn't work for me. Plus this connected to an I-team book that was a dud for me. As someone who fell in love with the romantic suspense genre, today it no longer works for me, with Laura Griffin being the except ...more
Anita
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, romantic-supense

It's wonderful to have Pamela Clare writing Romantic-Suspense again. I've missed her unique blend of sweet, sexy romance and action. It was fun to "catch-up" with several I-Team couples. I enjoyed the way she has bridged the I-Team Series with this new Cobra Elite Series. I look forward to more books about these operatives.

Jenna Hamilton has had to fight her father, Senator Ha
Dali
Pamela Clare launches her Cobra Elite series with “Hard Target,” a thrilling, fast-paced romance between battle-hardened private black-ops company owner and a volunteer midwife.

Watching over a US senator’s daughter in Afghanistan isn’t Derek Tower’s normal job assignment, but Jenna Hamilton is no ordinary aid worker. She’s the younger sister of man who died while saving his life and now he’ll do anything to keep her safe.

Jenna knew the dangers of doing volunteer work in Afghanistan. She doesn’
Caz
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B- at AAR, so that' 3.5 stars rounded up.

Hard Target is the first book in a new series of romantic suspense novels from popular author Pamela Clare featuring the men (and maybe women?) who work for Cobra International Security, the high-end security firm owned and run by Derek Tower, who was a recurring character in the author’s earlier I-Team series.  I confess that I haven’t read any of those books yet, so I was pleased to be able to jump in on the ground floor with this ne
Iman
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can’tsay what happened, the book has everything it needs plus is well researched when it comes to the realities of midwifes in Afghanistan, but I could not get into the story.
Carla Bulian
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3,9. This wasn’t what I expected to read, but it was a great writing.
The author probably researched a lot! Congrats!
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Cobra Elite #1
Rating: DNF - stopped reading at @ 15% (2019)

This is purely on me and has nothing to do with the quality of Hard Target. I'm just not in the right mindset to be reading about women's rights and bodies being oppressed, especially considering the current political climate. I may come back to this in the future and try again when I'm in the right mood to read and review.

ARC provided by NetGalley for honest review
Zubee
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
H and h meet when he is hired to guard her while she serves in Afghanistan as a midwife ...
The local culture of Afghanistan and the trials of pregnant women is described well ... I believe the author took inspiration for this novel from some real life women who served in a war torn place as midwives so kudos to her for getting this part well described and documented ...
I liked both the h and H ... however for some reason I found myself getting disjointed from the book ... its like all e
Jewlsbookblog
Derek wasn’t my favorite coming in, but I admit to liking the guy by the end. He managed to win me over with his smarts, loyalty to his crew, and his mostly rational protectiveness towards Jenna, except for the times he let the wrong part of his body think. Now Jenna, she had me on the fence. I liked how passionate she was about her job as a midwife and her desire to educate others, however, when your told not to do something and you do it anyway...(face palm!) I got why Jenna did what she did, ...more
Lynsey A
So glad that Pamela is writing romantic suspense books again. I've missed her books. Glad we finally got Derek's book.

It really felt like a fast read but the story was good and I loved the bit of humor in the story. Many times I was laughing out loud at Jenna's thoughts.

Not too much of a review but I really liked the book and look forward to more in this series.

Quotes & Faves:

She’d never actually seen a man’s butt fill out a pair of pants like that before, his buttocks shifting with eac
Sunny
She’s baaaack! For the past few years, I’ve enjoyed Pamela Clare’s contemporary romances, but Hard Target reminds me that this author sets the gold standard for romantic suspense. Oh how I have missed this! Ms. Clare knows how to craft a very suspenseful story with the right amount of romance.

Hard Target is the first book in the Cobra Elite series following the adventures of the operatives working at Cobra International. We know and love Javier, Nick and Holly make an appearance, but
Dísir
'Hard Target' is classic Pamela Clare fare, full of action and hot scenes and while I do like her Colorado High Country books, I'm still glad she's decided to return to romantic suspense in this new series.

Derek Tower isn't a new character to grace Clare's canon of works; he's appeared in a few books as a peripheral figure and 'Hard Target' is his story of encountering the woman who also happens to be the sister of his dead comrade - and someone whom he'd never met before. First tasked to bring
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Cobra Elite series by Pamela Clare. Derek Tower is sent to Afghanistan to bring Jenna Hamilton home to her father. Jenna refuses to leave. She signed a contract to stay there as a midwife and to help train others. But when it appears she is targeted, she is forced to flee with Derek.

Pamela Clare is an awesome writer and I love her work. This was not my favorite of hers but it is still better than many books out there. I am looking forward to more in this series.
Anne OK
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Pamela Clare has once again given readers a pulse-racing new romantic suspense. The beginning of a new series that promises the kind of edgy plotting, seductive wit and scorching hot from start to finish that PC excels in writing. Always masterfully creative and well-researched, her books reflect inventiveness, intellectual collaboration with relationships that lead to a satisfying and unforgettable world of suspense and romance.

Great start with new characters, along with some familiar faces, a
Michele Jarvis
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Pamela Clare Winner!

Pamela Clare has once again proven herself as the queen of romantic suspense. Others will give you a detailed synopsis, I want you to know from one romance reader to another, you will love this book!
Christine
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I'm a Pamela Clare fan but this one just didn't do it for me. Derek and Jenna's story was missing the author's usual sexual chemistry, banter, and humor, leaving a fairly quick, dour, bare bones hook up between two people that say they loved each other after they barely met and spent a fwe days together trying to escape from an evil warlord. Hardly the formula for true lasting love.

For the first two-thirds of the book, Derek and Jenna are hiding out from the warlord, in precarious violent situat
Jacks
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So here’s a confession: I did not like Derek Tower in STRIKING DISTANCE (I know, I know, I wasn’t supposed to, but still) and I couldn’t see him as the first hero of this new series. Fortunately I have read enough Pamela Clare to know that I should just trust her and take the leap, no matter what my initial thoughts are. And I am SO GLAD I did.

(Is it just me or do a lot of my Pamela Clare reviews start this way??????)

This is truly a beautiful story. Derek is still Derek but somehow getting into
Big Joe  Rossi
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New series by Pamela Clare. COBRA ELITE!!!!

Derek Tower started as a kid of foster care but now is a rich, private military black ops co-owned of Cobra International Security. He is being tasked with going to Afghanistan and bringing home Senator Hamilton's daughter. A mid wife who doesn't have any plans of returning home.

Jenna Hamilton isn't leaving. She came here on a mission and isn't leaving till she can finish it. With a death rate of 1 in 8 she is steadfast in help teach the women how to b
Pat
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New and familiar characters, LOTS of action, suspense and danger, and of course hot romance! Another great one from Ms. Clare.........
Full review to follow.
Sandy S
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date April 25, 2019

Derek Tower has spent his life at war, first as a Green Beret and then as the owner of a private black-ops company, Cobra International Security. When a high-ranking US senator asks Cobra to protect his daughter, a midwife volunteering in Afghanistan, Derek’s gut tells him to turn the senator down. The last thing he wants to do is babysit an aid worker. But Jenna isn’t just another assignment. She’s also the younger sister of his best friend
Tigmode Sandvigen
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pamela Clare is very likely the author I recommend the most. Her background as an award winning journalist means her books are well researched, often timely relative to world events and social topics, and ALWAYS an amazing read.

Hard Target is her latest and the first in the new Cobra Elite series. This book hits the ground running and doesn't stop until the final words of the epilogue. I read it in a sitting because I could NOT STOP READING.

Derek Tower's career in Spec Ops and private security i
Cindy ~
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Action packed start to a new series that blends familiar characters from the I-Team series along with new characters who work for Cobra International.

Javier Corbray and Derek Tower run Cobra, a black ops group funded by the government. Nick and Holly Andris are also part of Cobra. Those are the familiar characters from the other series but we are introduced to the rest of the men and women who work for Cobra.

First up is Derek Tower's story. He is asked to go and get the sister of a man who die
Laz the Sailor
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
PC is one of my few auto-buy authors. This is the start of a spin-off series from her I-Team series, which I really enjoyed.

This team is more hardened and lethal than the other teams. They get into deeper trouble, and fight harder to save the good guys. There is a lot of steam, but not much sizzle, as is expected from this author. This adventure follows directly from an earlier I-Team story, with a strong-willed woman trying to save a small corner of the world. Everything is quite realistic and
Kathy Holt
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great beginning to a new series. As always Pamelas attention to detail makes her books realistic. We've already met Derek in the ITeam series. This book does not disappoint, action, suspense, sex, and a bit of humor. Another great read!!
JPerceval
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a reason Pamela Clare is the Queen of Romantic Suspense. This book has it all: danger, excitement, true & believable love between two amazing, sympathetic characters with off-the-charts chemistry. I read it in less than 2 days, and I know I'll read it again, a lot.
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I've enjoyed everything I've ever read from Pamela Clare. She's a knowledgeable author who writes amazing romantic suspense.  Hard Target is the first in a related series to the I-team .   It looks like the new Cobra Elite series will be about former special forces operatives who now work private security and government o
« previous 1 3 4 next »
USA Today best-selling author Pamela Clare began her writing career as a columnist and investigative reporter and eventually became the first woman editor-in-chief of two different newspapers. Along the way, she and her team won numerous state and national honors, including the First Amendment Award and the National Journalism Award for Public Service. In 2011, she was honored by the Colorado Pro ...more