Start by marking “Me” as Want to Read:
Me

Me

11 hours, 47 minutes

In his first and only official autobiography, music icon Elton John reveals the truth about his extraordinary life, which is also the subject of the upcoming film Rocketman. The result is Me - the joyously funny, honest and moving story of the most enduringly successful singer/songwriter of all time.

Christened Reginald Dwight, he was a shy boy with Buddy Holly
Hardcover, Main Market edition , 352 pages
Published October 15th 2019 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Me, please sign up.
Lee Watters Yes, I have read it and I CAN confirm that it was breathtaking. Sir Elton is such a kind and honest narrator and the book flows very well. If you…moreYes, I have read it and I CAN confirm that it was breathtaking. Sir Elton is such a kind and honest narrator and the book flows very well. If you haven’t already, pick it up immediately!
(less)

Start your review of Me
Chelsey
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the official autobiography: ✅
Watch ‘Rocketman’: ✅
See Elton John LIVE on his official farewell tour!: coming soon!

“When you reminisce about the good old days, you naturally see it all through rose-tinted spectacles. In my case in particular, I think that’s forgivable, because I probably was literally wearing rose-tinted spectacles at the time, with flashing lights and ostrich feathers attached to them. But if you end up convincing yourself that everything in the past
Shirin
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely give 5 stars to books, but in this case I kinda had to because it was just really damn good. I'm fond of autobiographies in general, even though you always have to be wary of the subject putting themselves in an exclusively good light. Fortunately, not something you really have to worry about with Elton John, as one of the strongest parts of the book was his self-aware humor. Very often he makes fun of himself and acknowledges when he acted horribly, which just makes the book feel more ...more
Holly
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that some of hits were recorded before I was even born, I love me some Elton John. I had to stop the book repeatedly to go listen to the songs he mentions, which made this autobiography also turn into an abbreviated discography :)

Elton John’s life has been quite the whirlwind, with high highs (figuratively and literally) and low lows. If references to drugs, sex, and eating disorders bothers you - then this book probably isn’t for you. But keep in mind this is also a good
britt_brooke
I once high-fived Elton John. Colorado Springs, 2009. True Story. Tiny hands. Anyway, this autobiography is super entertaining! There’s so much I didn’t know. With zero sugar-coating, and a lot of humor, Sir Elton takes us through his incredible life. Music, fashion, heartache, addiction, etc. Plenty of name-dropping, which I guiltily devoured. I’d love to have dinner with him.

My only complaint is with the audio narration. You can hear the intakes of breath and it’s annoying as shit.
Gary
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining biography that was an easy read filling in a few of the gaps in my memory while growing up during Elton John's life.
The book appears to be quite an honest account with mentions of his tantrums, drugs and other vices which makes interesting reading. I preferred the earlier insights, maybe because I couldn't remember too much about the stories rather than the more recent marriage, film and aids foundation anecdotes.
A good read.
Sara
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fabulous!!! A walk through an incredibwm history of rock and roll, his own career and all the facets of celebrity. Elton does not hold back and really creates a complete picture of a life without compare.
Ruth
My god, he's hilarious. And self-deprecating. And bitchy. 😂
F
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, famous-people, uk
LOVED
Cat
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shockingly self-aware and funny (often laugh out loud). More about personal and social affairs than any sort of in-depth look at his composition process, but there are already books/documentaries exploring that. It’s a standard celebrity memoir, overall, in form, but there’s a lot of self-deprecating charm, a lot of amusing namedropping, and a ton of description of the gay music milieu of the 70s/80s and drug use—he does not hold back from describing the average night at Studio 54, or getting bl ...more
Elias
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I have given it anything else?
Donna
I love Elton John as an entertainer and musician. The one thing that I love the most is that his songs are so completely original. Some musicians often have all their songs sounding the same but with different words. That isn't so with Elton John. He is a master at music. That talent of his shined in this autobiography. I enjoyed hearing about his coming of age in England and how he ended up in the music world.

In this book, Elton John is open and honest about his life....even with the things th
Onceinabluemoon
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my era of music, loved all the tidbits over the decades of other muscians. Most impressed with his 250 million raised for aids, listening about Ryan white had me in tears. I know I have read early books about him, but this was in depth and unputdownable. He has led many lives and still going strong.
Peter Mueller
Elton really has been open and upfront during the interviews he has given in his life because I've read or heard just about everything in his new book, which really says something! It is undoubtedly a fast read as he has made sure it is written with few music facts, but this is what I find very disappointing. This is the stuff that I as a long-time fan really wanted more than anything, and nearly 400 pages mostly about drugs and sex makes for a book that is a page turner in that sense but certai ...more
Susan
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved Elton John for more than 40 years and have already seen Rocketman twice, so I'm not exactly an objective reader. But I have read autobiographies by some of my favorite musicians that didn't do much for me, like Elvis Costello's Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, so I'm not a pushover.

Fortunately, it is easy to love Me. It's fast-paced, moving, hilarious, and pretty damn insightful. Elton is also probably kinder than he should be regarding some of the celebrities who he's crossed paths with.
Jennifer Thompson-Thalasinos
If you’re an Elton John fan this is a must read!!!! I loved every minute of it! What makes this book so interesting is that Elton John is completely real and raw. You’ll find yourself laughing, and then near tears as you read about his life from a young boy through today. He delves into his use of cocaine, the AIDS epidemic, and Princess Diana. You also learn why he believes he never contracted AIDS, and having nearly died (not from drugs either). He also talks about John Lennon, Gianni Versace, ...more
Kiley
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the best book I've read in 2019 and maybe ever. Elton has lived such an extraordinary life and the details will shock and amaze you. And if you are able, I highly recommend listening to the audio book. Taron Egerton does an incredible job that you forget that it isn't his story. He tells it as if it is his own life. 5 stars I recommend to everyone!
Shavawn Berry
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the unvarnished, shockingly honest, brutally true, and often hilarious story of Elton's incredible life. I couldn't put it down. I laughed until I was crying. Thank you, Elton, for all the magic you brought to my life. It's been an astounding ride.
Barb Kelownagurl
I loved this autobiography, but then I knew I would, and I’m terribly biased so my review isn’t worth much. Instead, I’ll tell you about the most important “Elton John” moment of my life.

Elton John is the musician who had the greatest impact on my life and his music was certainly the soundtrack to my teen years. I bought many of his albums in the mid to late 70’s but didn’t have an opportunity to go see him until I was in my early 40’s when he came to Kelowna in 2002.

The concert sold out immed
Phillip Oliver
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was headed out on a cross-country flight when I saw this book in the airport bookstore. I did not know that it was out yet and was excited to see it on the shelf. Let me say that if you want a 6 hour flight to go by fast, take this book with you! This is a page-turner and the writing is flawless (I know he had to have had a ghost writer but whoever it is, he/she is not credited.

Elton recounts his early years growing up under two difficult parents, his early gift for music (he could hear a son
Nicole D.
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, celebrity, audio
I'm not a celebrity biography/autobiography person, but when it came to Chrissie Hynde and Elton John, I felt I should make an exception (plus, I'd seen Rocketman and wanted to know what was real, and what wasn't.)

I don't like drugs, I don't like drug culture, I'm not interesting in hearing about the use of drugs, so note to self --- no more celebrity bios.

I think this gave a good overview of Elton John's life, and his songwriting process was truly amazing. Imagine just being handed
Andrea Stitak
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ely
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having loved Rocketman, I knew I would have to pick this up. It's a phenomenal book, so I'm glad that I did. It's definitely worth the read if you enjoyed the movie—it goes into so much more of his life than the movie ever could. Also this made me cry like ten times, so there's that.
William Borysewicz
Amazing

Elton’s story has been well known to just about everybody, but hearing the intimate details and thoughts of the man who traveled that journey... Amazing.
Diane Bree
I love Bios and I am a Elton John fan. I rate it 5 stars. I have never read any of the other books that have been written about him because you don't know how much of it is true. I know this is true.
Kathie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listen to this book on Audible. Taron Egerton narrates. I learned a ton about Elton John I didn’t know. I laughed a lot and cried some too.
Laurie Hanan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touched me like few ever have. I’ve been a fan of Elton John’s music since my middle school days in the 70’s. While I had heard about his famous temper, well-described in the book, my son worked as his body guard a few years ago and had a different story to tell. Elton John treated my son with the utmost respect, as an equal, thanking him and shaking his hand often. Elton could not have known that my son has just endured a devastating personal tragedy. My son’s spirits were lifted by E ...more
Sabrina
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, I cried, I couldn't put the book down. Elton has a beautiful sense of irony and sarcasm in this book, and it made reading about all the shenanigans more poignant and more hilarious at the same time.
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how clear, honest, introspective, and personable Elton John is throughout his book. The book purely focuses on his life, rather than getting into a deeper look into the music, which has given me a deeper respect for this artist. I appreciate everything about it, and I really like that he included recent events, such as the biopic of his life and his thoughts on it.
Tina
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not one to read biographies of any type. Elton John is not one one of my favorite artists either. I like a lot of his songs, but they are never my top choice. Yet, something about his book compelled me. I wanted to read it. I put it ahead of my usual go-to books to read it.

“Me” is infused with the talent and creativity that is Elton John. As I writer, I drew inspiration on nearly every single page. He talks about his childhood. How he got his start playing piano in a pub full of
Terri
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The worst part of this fabulous autobiography is that it isn’t twice as long! I LOVED it!

I must begin by admitting that I am a HUGE fan ...my own attendance at his Farewell Tour in Buffalo New York last fall was an important step in my own healing process following my husband’s death. That concert took me back to my own roots, to a ‘life review’ in his music,and the realization that there was hope for my future. Both Elton and myself were aging, less resilient than we used to be, but
Play Book Tag: Me - Elton John 3/5 7 24 Oct 30, 2019 05:47PM
2,767,217 Votes Cast

• The Republic
  • Traitor Born (Secondborn, #2)
  • Carl Jung: Wounded Healer of the Soul: An Illustrated Biography
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • Rebel Born (Secondborn, #3)
  • Secondborn (Secondborn #1)
  • We Were Liars
  • Paper Towns
  • Inside Out
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Jekel Loves Hyde
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
  • Dear Mr. Henshaw (Leigh Botts, #1)
  • The Whipping Boy
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Sir Elton Hercules John CBE (born Reginald Kenneth Dwight) is an English pop/rock singer, composer and pianist.

In his four-decade career, John has been one of the dominant forces in rock and popular music, especially during the 1970s. He has sold more than 300 million albums and over one hundred million singles, making him one of the most successful artists of all time. He has won five
“At first I stayed in a hotel – the Inn On The Park, the location for the famous story about me ringing the Rocket office and demanding they do something about the wind outside that was keeping me awake. This is obviously the ideal moment to state once and for all that this story is a complete urban myth, that I was never crazy enough to ask my record company to do something about the weather; that I was simply disturbed by the wind and wanted to change rooms to somewhere quieter. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you that, because the story is completely true.” 2 likes
“Having obviously forgiven me for the incident on the Starship, Stevie Wonder turned up one day and took out a snowmobile, insisting on driving it himself. To pre-empt your question: no, I have absolutely no idea how Stevie Wonder successfully piloted a snowmobile through the Rocky Mountains of Colorado without killing himself, or indeed anyone else, in the process, but he did.” 1 likes