Start by marking “The Isle of Stone: A Novel of Ancient Sparta” as Want to Read:
The Isle of Stone: A Novel of Ancient Sparta

The Isle of Stone: A Novel of Ancient Sparta

With vivid prose and unswerving attention to historical detail, the author of Empire of Ashes spins a tale of two brothers who rise through Spartan society and meet their fate--surrounded by the Athenian navy on the barren island of Sphacteria. Original.
Published December 6th 2005 by Signet (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Isle of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Isle of Stone

Start your review of The Isle of Stone: A Novel of Ancient Sparta
Jane
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
On the whole, I enjoyed this novel, despite what I consider flaws. The last sentence is a zinger!

The story concerns two Spartan brothers, Antalcidas and Epitadas, their births and education in the Rearing [agoge] where the former earns the nickname "Stone", as he shows himself to be a past master at throwing them accurately. In the Peloponnesian War, the brothers serve together on the Island of Sphacteria, survive its blockade and siege, finally surrendering to the Athenians with their men.
Bibliovoracious
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the fierce mother right out of the violent gate, but she shows her limitations later.

Her two boys, with different fathers, natures, and opportunities, navigate Spartan life and politics from infancy to adulthood, both arriving as soldiers at the battle of Sphacteria.

This is perhaps the most detailed and vivid illustration of Sparta's layers of social and political structure I've read, clearly a result of exacting research. I definitely like to get educated in the form of a story.
Jim
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent historical novel set in the time of the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta in ancient Greece. The story focuses on two brothers who are part of a Spartan force which becomes trapped on the island of Sphacteria by the Athenian Navy. The story centers on the siege, as the Spartans prepare to make their last stand. Spartans would never surrender, would they??
Sharon
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Entertaining book about the siege of Sphacteria, which takes place approximately 50 years after Thermopylae.

The book focuses on two brothers, Epitadas and Antalcidas, who are rivals from childhood (in no small part due to their conniving mother's machinations). The two grow up in the way of Spartiate men, experiencing the difficulties of the agoge, war, etc., and eventually are in a garrison on the island of Sphacteria when the Athenians decide to lay siege.

The historical research in this book
kostas  vamvoukakis
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
ο εκπαιδευτικος χαρακτηρας του βιβλιου υπερισχυει του λογοτεχνικου κατι που για μενα το κανει βαρετο δυστηχως...δεν ειναι κακο αλλα μεχρι εκει
Reid
Dec 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Unfortunately I don't think Nicastro really presents us with anything new. If he does, it is in the interactions between Spartans and helots, which are largely undocumented and, where examples exist, bias casts a strong shadow. The affection bewteen Antalcidas and Doulos was nice, as well as the moral issues presented when the Messenians tried to liberate some of their fellow countrymen on the island, mistakenly killing them in the process. My real gripe with Nicastro is that he didn't show us ...more
Aidan Nancarrow
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Battle of Sphacteria serves as as the perfect counterpoint to the oft-mythologized battle of Thermopylae.

I appreciate Nicastro's even-handed take on the Spartans. He doesn't effusively gush about the glories of ancient Sparta à la Pressfield (Gates of Fire) but he is not entirely unsympathetic to them either.

Antalcidas, our main character, whose secret history as the son of a helot (a kind of slave), introduces a welcome measure of ambiguity to the story. He is secretly suspicious and
Mohikanos
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Σίγουρα ένα ενδιαφέρον βιβλίο, από τη στιγμή που αναφέρεται σε μια από τις πιο μαύρες σελίδες της ελληνικής ιστορίας, και περιγράφει ένα γεγονός όχι ιδιαίτερα γνωστό στο ευρύ κοινό. Ο συγγραφέας έχει κάνει έρευνα σε βάθος, και καταφέρνει να σκιαγραφήσει με μεγάλη αποτελεσματικότητα την ζωή των ανθρώπων εκείνης της εποχής, ειδικά δε την κοινωνία της Σπάρτης. Ωστόσο, η διήγησή του παρουσιάζει σε πολλά σημεία κοιλιά, ενώ και η ιστορία δεν εξελίσσεται τόσο ενδιαφέρουσα, και πολλές φορές η γραφή ...more
Juliew.
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of two brothers in ancient Sparta.One brother is more highly favored than the other and it was rather interesting to see how the spoiled brother would turn out.I loved the details in this such as the festivals and the young brothers going through the so called rearing.I also liked the twist in the end, just when you thought things might not turn out, Spartan honor saves the day or I guess I should say book.
sarah
Apr 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed _The 300_
Vaguely historical fiction about ancient Sparta. Set about 50 years after _The 300_, the events of which it references. Fascinating info about growing up/living in Sparta. No idea if it's historically accurate, but it sounds good...
John Warren
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
not bad book about 2 spartian brothers
Kirk Macleod
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Nicolas Nicastro's 2005 novel The Isle of Stone takes a look at Spartan Society nearly sixty years after the battle of Thermopylae, specifically during the battle of Sphacteria (325 BCE). The novel focuses on two Spartan warriors, Antalcidas and Epitadas, brothers who were raised in two very different, but traditional Spartan styes.

Much like John Gardiner's The Wreckage of Agathon, The Isle of Stone looks at the Spartan Empire with a jaundiced eye. The empire is portrayed as brutal, and neither
Charles Franklin
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was actually a good book that showed more of what life was like in Sparta during the Peloponnesian war. It was gritty, very detailed from historical point of view, and had an ending that I did not expect but felt like the end of a epic movie. I like the fact that Nicastro is able to weave the classic tale of two brothers trying to do the right thing for their country within the confines of Spartan culture.

Highly recommended if you like reading about Sparta. I learned a little bit more
Joshua Pawloski
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual read

I truly enjoyed this book and its mastery of making history come alive. I normally don't read books of this nature but will now seek them out after reading this novel.
Matt Hasquin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mundane. Uninteresting in long stretches. Difficult to like the characters. Harmless and easily forgotten.
Daniel Kelly
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
great view of ancient sparta
PaleHorsemen
Too many myths about Sparta including the babies being thrown into the pit. And too few likeable characters
Monique Mihalitsianos
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book up until the ending, which was gut-wrenching. I just can't accept the injustice that Antálcidas--a hero and the most noble Spartan of all--went through at the end, and the subsequent loss of love he suffered from his family and everybody else. It just seemed so sad and unfair.

This book is well-researched and well-written and arguably conveys the Spartan essence very well, but the hero of the story deserved a better treatment than this.

I'm sad about it. Even cried a bit.
T J
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was one my book challenge and it had great potential to be a good read. Book on the wars of Spartans and Greeks but it fell flat, so flat I could even finish it.
Charlie
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
More interesting in the first half than the second- about the structure of Spartan life, the phases and rituals of growing from childhood to full male maturity.The build up to the climactic battle is rather boring as is the battle itself.However the strict, harsh life of men is detailed vividly.Expectations of women's roles are visited but less thoroughly. Much emphasis on a class society with helots, slaves, at the bottom rung used as sport for hunting, sexual exploitation, fair game.An ...more
Fred
Not the best book that I have ever read but it was passingly good. It takes place during an important battle of the Peloponnesian War in 425 B.C. in which the Athenian Navy had succeeded in isolating several hundred Spartan Warriors on the Island of Sphacteria and they were starving them out while the Spartan Army desperately sought to resupply them or rescue them. How did it turn out? The book is pretty historically accurate, so start reading and find out.
BDT
Jan 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Historical fiction with frequent asides to the modern day - the writing often gets sidetracked on this vein.
Garrett
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Ok when compared to Gates of Fire. Read it if you're bored.
Shawn
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book on life in Ancient Sparta.
Jan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story of two half brothers who grow up on Sparta. Life of a warrior. They grow up hating each other, go to war, they die!
Rohan Monteiro
Matthew Berkshire
rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2011
Evonne
rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2016

• Sayings of the Spartans
  • The Holy Bible: Gospel of Matthew (ASV Red Letter Edition)
  • How to Know Higher Worlds
  • Leonidas of Sparta: A Peerless Peer (Leonidas of Sparta Trilogy, #2)
  • Leonidas of Sparta: A Boy of the Agoge (Leonidas of Sparta Trilogy, #1)
  • Le Mystère Henri Pick
  • Ávalon (Britannia, #4)
  • Gates of Fire
  • Lords of the Sea: The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy & the Birth of Democracy
  • Pylos and Sphacteria 425 BC: Sparta's island of disaster
  • Ancient Greek Warship: 500–322 BC
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories
  • Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners,  Quitters, and Procrastinators)
  • Horus Rising (Horus Heresy #1)
  • Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health
  • Ireland
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Brace For the Wolves (Challenger's Call Book 2)
Nicholas Nicastro was born in Astoria, New York in 1963. His education includes a B.A. in English from Cornell University (1985), an M.F.A. in filmmaking from New York University (1991), an M.A. in archaeology and a Ph.D in psychology from Cornell (1996 and 2003). He has also worked as a film critic, a hospital orderly, a newspaper reporter, a library archivist, a college lecturer in anthropology ...more