Start by marking “The Secret Hours” as Want to Read:
The Secret Hours

The Secret Hours

(Deverill Chronicles #4)

‘Let the wind take me and the soft rain settle me into the Irish soil from where I came. And may my sins be forgiven.’

Arethusa Clayton has always been formidable, used to getting her own way. On her death, she leaves unexpected instructions.

Instead of being buried in America, on the wealthy East Coast where she and her late husband raised their two children, Arethusa h
Published July 11th 2019 by Simon and Schuster UK Fiction (first published April 2nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Hours

Alayne Emmett
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Ms Monefiore’s books and loved them all and this was no exception.
I was pleased to see that this was the 4th in the Deverill series and enjoyed it immensely.
I look forward to reading more in the future.
Annette
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a heartwarming family story set in two time periods.
The characters were beautifully drawn and I warmed to both the main protagonists, American Faye in 1961 and her mother,Tussy, who lived in Ireland at the turn of the twentieth century.
When Faye’s mother dies she leaves a will in which she asks her daughter to go to her homeland, Ireland and scatter her ashes. She also leaves a bequest that will only be revealed after this has been done. Both Faye and her brother Logan are astounded as
Karen Whittard
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The enchanting new novel from Sunday Times bestselling author, Santa Montefiore.

The perfect summer read for 2019!

An epically, well written, well researched book. Perfect for a holiday in the beach. Where you can get lost in the pages of the book without having to worry about household chores or adult life.

Instead of being buried in America, on the wealthy East Coast wher
Lynn (Ellesea Loves Reading)
Shelves: arc
Enthralling, I fell head-first into this captivating, standalone fourth book in the Deverill Chronicles.

Bostonian Faye Langton has spent her life living and doing as others expect her to do; firstly as a daughter and now as a wife and mother. When her mother Arethusa Clayton dies, the reading of the will acts as a catalyst for Faye to embark on a journey to her Mom's homeland, Ireland. Knowing she will come up against opposition, Faye manages to convince her husband to let her go to Ballinakell
Annarella
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First I fell in love with the cover, then I fell in love with this book.
It's an amazing book which is moving, engrossing, and entertaining.
I loved this women so frail and so strong at the same time, I was fascinated by the setting and the plot moved me and made me smile.
Even if it's part of series it can be read as a stand-alone as both the plot and the character development are well explained.
I loved the style of writing, the character development are amazing and I really liked them.
I look forw
Connie53
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Het afsluitende vierde deel van de Deveril serie (hoewel je dat nooit zeker kan weten, er is nog van alles mogelijk). En ik heb net met tranen in mijn ogen de laatste bladzijdes gelezen. Het verhaal van Arethusa Deverill, vertelt via haar dagboek aan haar dochter Faye, is pijnlijk en zou in deze tijd ook niet zo makkelijk meer voorkomen. Dat hoop ik tenminste. Het verhaal is een 9 waard, maar het wordt een 8 doordat ik me wel gestoord heb aan aantal herhalingen van bepaalde zinnen die regelmatig ...more
Jeanie
Jun 18, 2019 added it
Thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
Delighted to get this early copy as I have read all the other books in this series and it was excellent to have a conclusion which was again set in fabulous Ireland I can highly recommend this book and author.
Aimee Walker Editorial
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Santa Montefiore is one of my must-read authors so I was delighted to get this e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
I love the Castle Deverill series and if you do too you won't be disappointed. Kitty is back, but this time the story brings her a long-lost cousin from America and together they unravel the story of Arethusa Deverill who left for America as a girl and didn't return or tell her children of her past. Arethusa is one of my favourite characters in the saga so far, she's ahead of he
Ellen De Jaegher
wauw, ze heeft het weer gedaan. Wat iedereen dacht het einde van de trilogie was draait Santa helemaal om door toch nog een 4de boek uit haar pen te schudden.
Arethusa Deverill sterft en heeft voor haar dochter nog een dagboek en een opdracht in petto. Faye gaat deze uitdaging volledig aan en ontdekt dat er nog een ganse familie van haar is in Ierland. Stillaan ontdoet ze zich van haar bolster en ontplooit ze zich tot een echte deverill.
Marie Kane
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing read from Santa Montefiore.
Reading this book was like catching up with old friends and hearing all their recent news, I absolutely loved it.
I thought we’d heard the complete Deverill story last year, so was delighted to find out more about my favourite Ballinakelly family.
The Secret Hours tells the take of Faye as she sets out to fulfil her mother’s last wishes and finds she is part a whole new family she knew nothing about and then through her late Mothers diaries, her Mother’s
Sandra Pearson
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to have been sent a copy of The Secret Hours by Santa herself. I love her books, particularly The Deverill Trilogy so was delighted to find that we revisit Castle Deverill in this book. Several characters from the previous books are pivotal in this story but are not the lead characters, they are the wonderfully named Arethusa and her daughter Faye. I love the way characters evolve so that I feel I really know them. Male and female are equally well written.

I haven't written a p
Ray Akerboom
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Heerlijk boek over het avontuur van een wat stil en bedeesd huisvrouwtje uit het begin van de jaren zestig, dat dankzij het testament van haar moeder, zichzelf en de voorgeschiedenis van haarzelf en het gezin waaruit ze komt, ontdekt. Behalve een reis naar romantisch Ierland, is het ook een tijdsdocument over de relatie tussen man en vrouw binnen een huwelijk. Erg prettig geschreven en op een gegeven moment bemerk je dat je 'Oh Danny Boy'loopt te zingen... zo'n boek dus!
Jessica Dufromont
Zalig wegdromen! Wel noodzakelijk om eerst de triologie van deverill gelezen te hebben. Maar zo fijn lezen. Echt perfecte ontspannende lectuur! En iedere keer weer krijg je zin om naar Ierland te trekken en de landschappen daar te gaan ontdekken.
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing fourth part of a hauntingly beautiful series!
Hanneke
drie sterren, niet omdat het literair zo fantastisch is, of filosofisch, maar omdat deze boeken spannend en romantische zijn. En ik lees ze achter elkaar uit, tussen de 'moeilijke' boeken door.
Jenny H
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love and anguish for two generations of the Deverills

Santa Montefiore's books are always a treat and this is no exception. The Secret Hours is the third in the Deverill Chronicles, but works well as a stand-alone.

There are two interlocking narratives: aristocratic Arethusa Deverill of Deverill Castle (known as Tussy to her family) in early 20th c Ireland and her American daughter, Faye, in the 1960s.

Tussy is a lively girl with a social conscience, who often dispenses food and comfort to local vi
Maria Brennan
May 16, 2019
Ella Websdale
Jul 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in England in 1970 Santa Montefiore grew up on a farm in Hampshire and was educated at Sherborne School for Girls. She read Spanish and Italian at Exeter University and spent much of the 90s in Buenos Aires, where her mother grew up. She converted to Judaism in 1998 and married historian Simon Sebag Montefiore in the Liberal Jewish Synagogue in London. They live with their two children, Lily ...more

Deverill Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Girl in the Castle
  • The Daughters of Ireland
  • The Last Secret of the Deverills (Deverill Chronicles, #3)