Start by marking “Every Bright and Broken Thing” as Want to Read:
Every Bright and Broken Thing

Every Bright and Broken Thing

Haunted by the last question their mother ever asked them before she passed away, the Greyson brothers struggle to cope with their grief and adjust to life after tragedy.

Semi-popular sixteen-year-old Liam spends his nights performing as the lead singer of his high school indie pop/rock band, Liam and the Landmarks. But something happened to Liam two years ago at his
Published 2019 by Wilder Ground Books

To ask other readers questions about Every Bright and Broken Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Bright and Broken Thing

The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
841 books — 2,811 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Angel Experiment by James Patterson
Best YA Books Ever
532 books — 653 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Every Bright and Broken Thing
Brian McBride
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book, so I might be biased. *shrugs*
Angela R. Watts
Every Bright and Broken Thing is one of the most heartbreaking yet healing novels I have ever read. I don’t say this lightly when I say it is one of my all time favorites. I could talk about it for hours but I’ll try to be coherent in this review. (FULL REVIEW on my blog: https://thepeculiarmessenger.wordpres...)

STORY

The story is well-paced, intriguing, and beautiful. It never glorifies evil. It never ends with the characters lacking hope. Hope and love shine through the dark, just like they
Hannah Rodriguez
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll write a longer review once it's published, but I wanted to say some words.

-it will rip your heart out (a roller coaster of hope, love, pain, brokenness, and more pain)
-it has best bro friendships (my favorite)
-if it was a film, i'd cry so hard my eyes would probably fall out or something (mhm)

Heidi
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine living like a ghost. Imagine dancing without pleasure, painting without color, or a song without emotion.. imagine the pain of a thousand bullets entering your brain from the inside out, only, they never do make it out because you're pain is hidden. Because no one can hear or see the screams you shout..

Every Bright and Broken Thing is a novel about very real, scary things and I admire Brian for touching on these heavy topics for 2 reasons.
1: he wrote a Christian Fiction without
Micaiah Saldaña
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY RATING: Three and a Half Astronaut Murals out of Five

Every Bright and Broken Thing by Brian McBride is a book that you won’t soon forget.

Full of beautiful prose, this book is sure to break your heart. The story will haunt you and leave you aching. Read on for more of my thoughts on Every Bright and Broken Thing.

WHAT I LOVED....

The friendships in this book are so good. All too often, friendships get snubbed in YA fiction and romance is put on center stage, but that’s not so here! Yes, there is
Kaitlyn S.
I can only recommend this book to those who are willing to face the brokenness of humanity.
To those who are ready to face the ugliness of our world and the dark places and the depression head-on.
To every person who is willing to take an epic journey to the depths of human depravity. To those ready to have their lives rethought and their convictions reformed at the hands of a book.

I can promise you: this book is no ordinary book. It is powerful and raw and real. So very real. And it will rip
Sunny Houk
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What to say about this book? It amazingly raw. Realistic. Intriguing. Phenomenal. A another book off the charts. Relatable in some ways. A story so Incredible, I don’t why you haven’t read it yet.
RebeccaCaraway
Shelves: my-faves
DISCLAIMER: I was given a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for a honest review.

This book surprised me. I wasn’t expecting such good writing with raw stories in a Christian novel. My favorite thing about this story is that it doesn’t hide away from REAL issues just because it’s a Christian fiction. (though you will still enjoy this if you aren’t religious) It handles and deals with the subject of sexual assault in a heartbreaking yet respectful way. I related to Liam in a way that
Merie Shen
Okay but I DID WRITE A REVIEW.

What happened to my review.

It wasn't even much really, just me being but COME ON GOODREADS.
Galaxy Adventurer
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Life isn’t one way or the other. It’s not all good and it’s not all bad. Life is every bright and broken thing, working together to create something beautiful – something that reminds us who we are and where we’re going." [Mama Gracie, Page 161]

Every Bright and Broken Thing is a beautiful story that shows grief and how it can hold onto you in a real and relatable way. It shows how it can drag you down, but it also shows how you can pull yourself out and find hope again.
It took me a little
Breny
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts:

I don’t have words to describe how I feel…

Every Bright and Broken Thing surpassed all my expectations. To be honest, I didn’t really know what to expect when I got this ARC from the author. I don’t have a good overall experience with Christian books. Why? Because many times Christian authors try to hard to convey a good Christian message in their books (something I really appreciate) that they leave aside another important, though not equal aspect, that is, the actual writing style
Lily
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Ever read a book which gets to you in such a way, that you just don’t think you could properly word a review to explain exactly what it means to you?

Well, the answer is a yes for me and this book is one of those books.

But, forgetting what I just said, I’m going to try my best to explain why I loved it.

It’s a book which before reading it I wasn’t even sure if it was my cup of tea, but after reading it, I’m so glad that I did! I never knew I needed to read something so much in my
Joshua Reid
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every Bright and Broken Thing by Brian McBride is truly an amazing piece of Contemporary literature and I don't mean that lightly. The way he weaves in themes of brokenness, family, grief, alcoholism, sexual abuse, and more is astounding and truly pulls at your heartstrings.

One of the main reasons I love this book is because it doesn't just focus on the brokenness between Ezra, Liam and their father; it also focuses on the brokenness of the their friends, which I don't really see often in
Kärt
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks again, Brian, for choosing me as one of your beta readers!

I think whatever I have to say about this will not do it justice. Having never felt grief myself, my heart hurt for Ezra, Liam, and their dad.

There was one particular bit that stayed with me and describes the premise of the book rather perfectly:

In seasons of sorrow, you are faced with a choice to either walk the path of pain or walk the path of joy. Because joy is a weapon strong enough to conquer heaviness.

Brian has such an
Amanda-Victoria Sumrall
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is very emotional and raw. It’s about two brothers who are going through a rough time after the death of their mother six years ago. Everyone grieves differently. I love how it’s Faith/Christian related. He has beautiful words that flows onto pages. He’s like another John Green.

He grips his readers and reels them into his story. He talks about Christianity while talking about today’s issues. He has you guessing until the end. EBABT is definitely not a teen cliche novel. It’s a novel
Ruth Morse
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every Bright and Broken Thing is a beautifully written, heartfelt story full of raw emotions and uncompromising descriptions. While reading it, I couldn’t get over the feeling that it was a dialog, a discussion between the reader and the author in which one can count on being heard.
Olivia J
Shelves: 2019-reads, favorites
Had the privilege of beta reading this amazing book. Can’t wait to put on my favorites shelf.
Annie Twitchell
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Currently unable to talk about this book for emotional reasons. It was good. I will need a copy to hug and soak with tears.
Kayla Jones
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of being able to beta read EBABT and I have to say it was absolutely amazing.

Every Bright And Broken Thing is a gripping story about grief and healing and learning to find yourself amongst the broken pieces.

The one thing I appreciate about McBride’s stories is not only the fact that he doesn’t shy away from the tough things that we experience throughout life, but how he creates such complex characters that you find yourself crying with and wanting to fight for.

I also love
Claire
An exceptionally written book that skillfully incorporates big, heavy themes like grief, family, religion, and trauma. This book will crush your heart into a million pieces and then glue them back together.

Full review to come when the book is published!
Emily Reilly
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I have to say is this book hit my heart HARD. Brian McBride, you’ve outdone yourself. Love love love this story!
Janice Verhoog
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More review when it comes out, but DAWG! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

Wow, this book is so amazing!! The messages spun throughout this book are so good. Full of hope and healing. Following the brothers as they deal with their mom’s death (amongst other issues), seeing the friends they met and made, you could see how God was bringing them to an end of themselves so that they would come back to Him.
If you’re going through a tough spot, this may be the book for you.
Nina Martineck
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every Bright and Broken Thing by Brian McBride is one of those books that stays with you. I’ve read this book twice now, and both times, I was left staring at the last page in complete awe of what I’d just encountered. It’s the kind of book that grips you by the heartstrings the second you open it and doesn’t let you go until long after you’ve closed it.

Warning: Mild spoilers ahead!

Perhaps my favorite thing about this book are the characters. Ezra and Liam are so dynamic and realistic that I
Rose
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a book to recommend to you today and I’m so excited to share it with you all. I had heard some great things about Every Bright and Broken Thing but didn’t know much about it. I am so thankful that I read it because it is so heartbreaking and inspiring and perfect....
This book just tore me apart! It has jumped to one of my favorites. This novel was just so raw and powerful; a story of hope in the hardest times.
Seriously, this book is AMAZING. I have already reread it. (Yes, it was that
Emmerita
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Unexpected things are bound to happen to us. It’s inevitable. Sometimes they change us for the better; sometimes for the worse. But I think the most dangerous outcome would be if they didn’t change us at all."

In this raw and heartbreaking story of two brothers navigating through their grief, Every Bright and Broken Thing is one of those books that'll leave you with a hole in your heart. Told from the point of view of two brothers, Ezra and Liam, the story unfolds around the loss their family
Gabriella Slade
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-4-2019
Wow. I don't cry after reading very often, but EBABT moved me. (In the words of Larry the Cucumber: "I cried. I laughed. It moved me, Bob.)
My favorite thing about Brian's books is that he's not scared to tackle the harder subjects. Too often with Christian Fiction these days, I feel like they end up fluffy and avoid talking about the darker parts of life because then it may not be considered a 'clean read' anymore. Luckily, that was not the case with this book.
This book is for those people who
Julie Mozart
Jul 07, 2019

• Fifty Days
  • A Cactus in the Valley
  • Lydia Green Of Mulberry Glen
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • The Integer (Whitewashed #2)
  • 100 Days of Sunlight
  • The Trace (Whitewashed #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Benefaction (Project Anamnesis #4)
  • Brightly (Project Anamnesis #5)
  • Seven (Project Anamnesis #3)
  • The Anamnesis (Whitewashed #3)
  • Hijo (Project Anamnesis, #2)
  • Shield (Project Anamnesis #6)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Mele Kalikimaka (Tradewinds, #2.5)
  • Right Number (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6.5)
  • The Sixth Christmas
Born and raised in Oregon, Brian moved to California at sixteen, where he has lived ever since. He's been writing since he was thirteen-years-old and has been reading for longer. Now 22, Brian is pursuing a degree in Social Work, which he hopes to use to help rescue children and families from bad situations. A fourth generation pastor, he is heavily involved in his local church in the San ...more