Start by marking “Screechers: A Post-Apocalyptic Novella” as Want to Read:
Screechers: A Post-Apocalyptic Novella

Screechers: A Post-Apocalyptic Novella

In the apocalyptic fallout of the burned world, the screecher is a massive beast evolved to kill and built for survival. One screecher abandons its home among the crushed remnants of a city and moves to explore the wider world. Unbeknownst to it, one of its surviving nephews decides to tag along.

Far away, across the dusty sand dunes, three men flee the smoldering ashes of
Published March 6th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Screechers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screechers

Tracy Robinson
2-3 stars. Not sure yet. Review to come for Sci Fi and Scary

Went with three stars, there are a couple places that redeemed it somewhat for me. Here is the full review from Sf&S

I have LOVE for post-apocalyptic horror/sci-fi stories. It’s my thing, my bag, I dig it. I also enjoy the intersection of this with creatures – War of the Worlds, The Mist, and on and on. So deciding to pick up SCREECHERS was a no-brainer for me.

First – the world created by Bergling and Kennedy is fantastic. The fir
Esther
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I read everything I can get my hands on by Kevin J. Kennedy. I was very curious about this short story, because I usually read books that he puts together with short stories from other authors in it. This was a gory, creepy book and I loved all the different post-apocalyptic creatures.

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

Kevin J. Kenned has proven to me that he is able to write good books. I
Steve Stred
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
For many in the horror world the name Kevin J. Kennedy immediately springs forth visions of fantastic, top-level horror collections. His output is staggering and time and time again he collects some of the best names in the genre to fill the pages (hint, hint – Kevin my inbox is always open!).

He is also an incredible horror author and recently announced a new collaboration with fellow author Christina Bergling. That collaboration – Screechers, and what a well done outing it is.

The novella is a q
J.A. Sullivan
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a post-apocalyptic world, all beings are fighting for survival. Humans, deadly mutant wolves, gigantic hybrid crab-scorpions, and creatures with translucent skin and black eyes, known as screechers, are all hunters, but are also being hunted. When these species collide in an epic battle, all sides pay in blood for a chance at victory.

This fantastic novella takes the reader into the hearts and minds of both the humans and the screechers. Kennedy and Bergling alternate the chapters so that we e
Bruce Blanchard
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Friends Come in Many Shapes

It's the end of the world - face it. Not many of you left. The ones who are left are fighting and killing. Even fighting among yourselves and that's not nice. There are others out there unlike you and you are their next supply of meat and food. What would happen - just imagine - if you and another species crossed the same level of land and fought the same enemy in a battle to the death. In one hand we have the link and vulnerable humans with fire sticks and knives. You
Lisa Lee
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Screechers is a post-apocalypse sci-fi horror with the best elements of all three genres. This novella is fast paced yet doesn’t scrimp on intrigue, tension, and terror.

The characterization in Screechers is incredibly impressive. Kennedy and Bergling do an excellent job of giving insight and persona to surviving post-apocalyptic lifeforms other than humans along with the characterization of the human survivors. They do this skillfully, vividly, and without overwriting.

This is a powerful quick re
David
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
My review is here https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1Nu
Erica Robyn
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Screechers by Kevin J. Kennedy and Christina Bergling is an action-packed post-apocalyptic novella filled with terrifying creatures and bloodshed, but also a heartwarming friendship.

I could not put this one down. So be prepared if you pick this up; you may want to set aside a couple of hours because you may get totally sucked in like I did!

Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my rating in any way.

There is so m
Morgan K Tanner
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
You’ve gotta love a good old post-apocalyptic tale. And this certainly was a good one. The genre is saturated with stories where survivors turn on each other while trying to not die at the hands of whatever caused the apocalypse, or indeed the beasts that have taken over the world.

But what was great about Screechers was the story didn’t play out how I imagined it would, and this was very pleasing.

This world has changed, with mutant beasts and humans roaming the lands, trying their best to just l
Debjani Ghosh
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Blog

In a short span of seventy-six pages, this novella packs a punch with vividly descriptive action scenes, atmospheric and emotive writing. Not a single page is bereft of action – the characters are either walking, running, killing, or protecting themselves. One wrong step, one moment of carelessness is enough to kill you. This keeps the humans—and the screechers—on tenterhooks resulting in a nail-biting, suspenseful read.

Although nothing is explained about the events that caused the apoca
Leigha
*This was kindly provided by the author for an honest review. Thank you for the chance to read your story!*

Imagine you were the last of your kind and how you would feel. The authors describe this feeling very well, painting a vivid picture, with beauty and sadness. There is no dialogue when we are in the “Screechers” point of view because they do not talk like we do. The descriptions of the creatures are enough. Normally, I get bored and lose focus on description heavy passages, but these are ac
P.J. Blakey-Novis
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As with a number of readers whose work I have enjoyed, I first came across their stories in anthologies. The same is true for both Kevin J. Kennedy and Christina Bergling. I did not even bother to find out what this book was about, confident that it would be worth reading, and it did not disappoint. At novella length, Screechers is a quick read, but manages to convey a reasonably detailed story. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, a group of human travellers’ face creatures they had not known exist ...more
Rebecca
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is a post apocalyptic world where three men leave their community in search of a new world to survive in. A Screecher is a huge beast that has adapted to survive in the world. Amongst them are Apoc-Wolves and giant Crab like Scorpions all fighting for survival. The story moves between the Screechers battle with the Wolves and Crabs, and the battle the men have among themselves and the creatures, to what happens when all of them come to meet.

This is a quick read, and quite easy to get into an
Jim Glover
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing,,,,

I’m not one who is usually into post apocalyptic stories but I am a huge Kevin Kennedy fan and had to check it out. I loved it. Very fast read and highly enjoyable. I love the description of the creatures and how you grow to like them. The humans characters are very believable and you either love them or hate them. Great plot and I think it would be cool if they did a back story to answer some questions that I have. Two thumbs way up!
Joan
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strange Friendship Grows!

In the aftermath of nuclear destruction and the loss of their families and community , twins Austin, Denver and fellow survivor Brooklyn head out to find out if there is still anything left. Along the way they encounter a young Screecher. To find out more,you should really read this enjoyable tale. For fans of the supernatural genre.
Ann Keeran
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, a little scary and you won't be able to put Screechers down. A Screecher is very large, very loud and oh so terrifying! In this book two Screechers and three humans are exploring what is left in a post-apocalyptic world. Can they survive together in the new world? A short novella that will leave you hungry for more!
Jim Coniglio
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I went into SCREECHERS expecting another post-apocalyptic creature feature. And while it is that genre, it offers surprisingly more.

The world has been ravaged by an unstated apocalyptic event, and beasts have mutated to the new surroundings. One of these creatures is the Screecher. An intelligent killing machine that believes it is the last of its kind. It sets off from its home in a destroyed city to explore the world around it, not knowing that the is one more, younger, Sc
Aaron W. Fadeley
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fast read

This is a totally fun novella to read. It's got people in danger, crab-scorpion hybrids, huge apps wolves, and if course Screechers. Good characters, plot, and monsters. Definitely add this to your library!
Nichola
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
full review to come.
Joann Pine
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ready for a sequal

A great, fun read, or scary, depending on you outlook. Regardless, I recommend you read it. 4 more words required
kurt boylstein boylstein
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Great novella.I really enjoyed the story.this was definitely worth my time.if you want a quick read this is it!thank you.
Kirsty Mills
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A slightly different take on post apocalyptic story. A quick read making it easy to pick up and devour in one sitting. Felt like a combination of a few different books/films, slightly mythical, think Clash of the Titans and Sinbad films. If it had been longer I'd liked to have seen some more character development. 3 stars feels about right.
Deidre
Steve Collins
Mar 13, 2019
Timmy Stanford
Mar 12, 2019
Kevin J Kennedy is a horror author & editor from Scotland. He is the co-author of You Only Get One Shot & Screechers, and the publisher of several best selling anthology series; Collected Horror Shorts, 100 Word Horrors & The Horror Collection as well as the stand alone anthology Carnival of Horror. His stories have been featured in many other notable books in the horror genre. He is a ...more