Start by marking “The Madness of Miss Grey (Harcastle Inheritance, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Madness of Miss Grey (Harcastle Inheritance, #1)

The Madness of Miss Grey

(Harcastle Inheritance #1)

All of society believes former actress Helen Grey to be mad, but after a decade imprisoned in a crumbling Yorkshire asylum, she's managed to cling to sanity. When a new doctor arrives, she finally sees an opportunity for freedom, and she'll do anything to not let it slip between her fingers.

Dr. William Carter knows Miss Grey is using him, but he can't blame her. She's no m
Published April 22nd 2019 by Entangled: Amara (first published April 17th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Madness of Miss Grey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Madness of Miss Grey

Start your review of The Madness of Miss Grey (Harcastle Inheritance, #1)
Blackjack
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: published-2019, arc
Julia Bennet's debut novel offers much to romance readers interested in historical authenticity, and even though I did my early graduate studies in 19th century lit, I still learned interesting information here on constructions of "madness" as well as what goes on behind the curtains at asylums. Probably needless to say, this is a darker book than most historical romances, which is by no means a criticism. Women were disproportionately targeted for medical intervention for all sorts of reasons t ...more
OLT
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) What I like about this HR is that the story line is one that's much less used by HR authors, possibly because it's a bit dark, dreary, and somewhat of a downer. It deals with possible madness and the inept, incompetent, ignorant and often cruel treatment of those in mental institutions. I have read a few HRs in my lifetime dealing with this issue. Maire Claremont (aka Eva Devon) had a dark Victorian series 6 years or so ago, beginning with THE DARK LADY. And more recently, Mimi Matth ...more
KimberlyRose
This is an outstanding historical romance debut. The characters were believable, complex, unique (‘ugly,’ big, low-born rough hero/curvy, clever, unapologetic, sexually experienced heroine) with compelling personalities. The plot was riveting and paced perfectly, and the development of the main couple’s relationship was filled with sizzling sexual tension that just built and built until paroxysm of the mind! Heh. No sappy love-making either—it was mostly RAWR! and desperate! and rough, with smal ...more
MrsMascara
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and a little different this historical romance has a dark undertone.

This book is not your average lighthearted regency romance, it is however, very well written, with a slightly unusual dark plot, compelling characters, and some nice touches which have stayed with me.

Helen Grey is 26, and has been locked up in an asylum in Yorkshire for 10 years. The illegitimate daughter of an actress and a mysterious aristocrat, she was abducted from London shortly after her mother died, and locked u
3.5 stars. It was pretty dark. Definitely not a typical historical.
Lori D
Yorkshire 1882 "If I go back, they'll never let me go again." That was the thought of Helen Grey as she met Dr William Carter as she tried to escape the asylum. This story pulled me in right from the first page and did not let go until the end. Helen had been in the asylum for ten years since she was almost sixteen . Put there by someone who did not want her known and with no way to escape. She wasn't crazy, although at times with the way she was treated, it was almost hard not to be.
Will was th
Petula
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr William Carter is a housekeeper's son who was lucky to have a sponsor who paid for his education. He has a new job in an asylum, and is shocked at the way the patients are treated. The doctor in charge has a good reputation and Will has always wanted to work with him, but finds the man is nothing like he expected.
Miss Helen Grey has been a patient/prisoner in the asylum since her mother died ten years ago. The doctor in charge and the so called nurse who control her are in the pay of someone
Brenda
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
All of society believes former actress Helen Grey to be mad, but after a decade imprisoned in a crumbling Yorkshire asylum, she’s managed to cling to sanity

Dr. William Carter knows Miss Grey is using him, but he can’t blame her. She’s no madder than he is yet she’s spent years in this place.

This is a debut work by this author. It is just OK and maybe the author shows promise but I'm not sure I would read another book by this author. I would have to check to see if the next one has a better prem
Tammy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Helen has managed to stay sane in the asylum for 10 years. Will is a new Dr. and know that Helen doesn’t belong there. Will he help her escape and who wants her to stay in the asylum? I liked this historical read, the story is fast-paced and entertaining and the characters have plenty of depth. A good read.
Moony (Lil' Christmas elf)  MeowPoff
I DNF'ed at 24%
I had a hard time connecting with the characters and could'nt seem to invest in the story or the progress of the love story, i just could'nt feel it.
SH
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Since her mother’s death, Helen Grey has been imprisoned in an asylum. It is there that she meets Dr William Carter, the housekeeper’s son, returning to work with a well-renowned psychiatrist. Helen sees his arrival as her means to escape, believing that despite her illegitimate birth, that her father, a man of the ton, holds her imprisoned there.
Whilst there is tremendous sadness and desperation in this book, the romance between William and Helen, provides some hope and brightness. The detail
Cait
Interesting concept, it just fell a little flat in my opinion.
Linda
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A housekeeper’s son, Will is “common” but is given the opportunity of education by a kindly benefactor (his mother’s employer) & comes full circle back to the very manor where he grew up, returning as a doctor. The manor is now an asylum run by the well known Dr Sterling whom Will hopes to gain permanent employment with. One of the patients that is assigned to Will is the lovely Helen, a young lady who has been at the asylum for 10 years (enough to make any sane person mad). Dr Sterling warns Wi ...more
wonderfullyweird88
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Helen Grey has been confined to an insane asylum since the death of her mother when she was fifteen years old. Her mother was an actress and Helen is the result of an affair with an unknown high born gentleman. Her father, wishing to hide Helen away, commits her to an exclusive asylum where she has suffered at the hands of her "Nurse" and the leading psychiatrist who believes Helen to be insane.

Dr William Carter has returned to his birthplace in the hopes of securing a permanent position at the
Bre Teschendorf
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book ... Honestly, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, because it was a completely new genre for me, not something I would normally ever pick-up. Mainly because, in my experience modern fiction is just SO badly written.
This was really the exception; the writing is excellent. One is carried along naturally, no adjectives are over used, there aren't a bunch of boring old over-used metaphores. The story is well thought out and doesn't feel flimsy .... (Except, you know, wh
PlotTrysts
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-novels
Here's the deal with The Madness of Miss Grey: Helen Grey has been institutionalized in an asylum for over ten years. She's willing to do practically anything to get out. Luckily her new doctor, Will, believes she's not mad, and he wants to help her escape, too.⁠

If you're going to write a romance where one member of the couple has total and complete power over the other (as Will does as Helen's doctor), you've got to do it right. We think Julia Bennet does, and if we had any issues with the boo
Maria Dariotis
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Madness of Miss Grey
by Julia Bennet

WOW!! This was an amazing debut from this author and I was captivated by her writing. This was a well written romance it had plenty of mystery and intrigue. I loved the mystery to this story it kept me guessing and turning the pages. Helen Grey a young woman has been imprisoned in an asylum from the young age of fifteen but the catch is she’s no where near being insane, someone just wanted her out of the picture but for what reasons?

Dr, William Carter is t
Sissy's Romance Book Review
The Madness of Miss Grey by Julia Bennet is the story of Helen Grey and Dr. William Carter.
Will start in life was the son of a housekeeper but after sponsorship was able to become a Dr. Now he is excited to be working with a Dr that he has admired at the Manor House Asylum. Helen is a illegitimate daughter of an actress and some aristocrat that she doesn't know. When her mother dies when she is around 15 years old, she is kidnapped and placed in the Manor Asylum. Now in their present day Helen i
Bookishly
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This book was so interesting. Not only because the majority of it takes place in an insane asylum, but because William takes the cases like a modern doctor.

Whereas Sterling, the head doctor in the asylum, was stuck in his ways where a woman, if they looked too long at something, was deemed unfit.

It really astonished me that that kind of thinking is still in place today. Helen didn’t let that stop her though. She knew her own mind and she wasn’t going to let anyone influence her. In fact, she was
Ella Persiste
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The setting for this historical romance is a 'madhouse' to which the heroine has been cruelly dispatched. All her efforts to escape have come to nothing when a new Doctor arrives who might offer hope of escape.

Helen is a fascinating heroine, both captive and wronged and also constantly scheming and trying to figure out ways to turn people and situations to her advantage. She's also deliciously in touch with her own desires and unashamed in pursuing them. Watching her slowly realise that her feel
Tammy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this historical romance set in an asylum. It was a bit dark but not too much. Helen and Will had intelligent conversations that dealt with the treatments of the mentally ill during that time period. Will was an average man in looks and was lower class. He received an education in mental health courtesy of his mother's employer. Helen's relationship with her new found relative (shh no giving it away) was a favorite of mine due to their interactions. Overall this was a great book with just e ...more
Amy Alvis
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed William and Helen's story. I was definitely a different type of historical romance than I normally read, but still enjoyable. It didn't have all the positive things that you tend to get in a romance. Helen is locked up in an asylum when she shouldn't be, so much of the storyline is her life there and how horribly she has been mistreated. I would probably classify this as more of a historical fiction story with a little bit of romance thrown in.
Suzette
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unconventional love story. Will and Helen are doctor and patient when they first meet. The author gives a lot of detail on the care of psychiatry patients in the late 19th century. There is is also interesting conversations about the hypocrisy of the way moral thinking was used to curb women in society. There is a lot of fun banter with the dog Hector and his antics with Helen. Will and Helen overcome great odds to get the dream they both desired.
Liz
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Historical romance classic! The Madness of Miss Grey unfolds like a classic old movie. Julia Bennet's writing draws you into the story from the first few pages and holds you to the very end. Well written, the darkness of the plot is masterfully handled, balanced by a beautiful love story. Many historical romances seem to be created out of a cookie-cutter formula. This is definitely not one of them. A fresh, strong debut from a new author. Very much looking forward to reading more by her.
Oana
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this one after I finished the second book of the series. I read it in one stand. I find author's style refreshing.
The story is great, heroine is, for once, not ingenue, but manipulative and ready to do what needs to be done. The hero is a practical man, the heat is there, the ending satisfying.
I did not fall for the hero, his not my type, that's why I give just 4 stars.
Julia Bennet goes o my auto-buy list.
Tween 2 Teen Book Reviews
I was okay with this book. While I enjoyed the romance, there was definitely some weirdness with the mental health aspect. Like even though the guy knew she wasn't actually crazy, she was technically still his patient. The book addresses this a bit, though not as much as I would have liked. I also liked some of the reveals though.
kathy kemmerer
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the story!

This was a great story that held my interest to the end! Miss Grey in this story is put in a mental institution to keep her hidden from society and the new doctor comes to promote better care for patients! So he makes her life much better and love happens!💖. Great new author for me!
Anne in VA
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very impressive debut novel. Loved the main characters. Loved that Will wasn't the typical rich business man or aristocrat. Way to buck the trend Mrs. Bennet! I think a couple more pages dedicated to tie up some loose ends, give a little more realism to the practice in an asylum, and flesh out some relationships with secondary characters would have bumped this to a five star read.
Jill Long
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not your typical historical romance and I loved it! The story is very strong and pulls you in immediately. Helen Grey and Will Carter are the two main characters who both have so much to offer each other. I could.not put this book down.
Kerryn Reid
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No, the trope isn't new -- try Laura Kinsale's Flowers from the Storm, for one. But Ms. Bennet has done a beautiful job here. The protagonists are quite unusual and her writing took me deep into their minds and hearts. Loved every minute!
Reader's Advisory Request 1 2 May 15, 2020 03:27PM

• The Rakess (Society of Sirens, #1)
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast (Sins for All Seasons, #6)
  • The Lord I Left (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #3)
  • All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2)
  • A Dangerous Kind of Lady (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • Rogue Most Wanted (The Cavensham Heiresses #5)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Heiress for Hire (A Duke's Heiress, #1)
  • About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1)
  • The Earl Next Door (First Comes Love, #1)
  • The Earl I Ruined (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #2)
  • Night of the Scoundrel (The Devils of Dover, #3.5)
  • My Last Duchess (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #0.5)
  • An Heiress to Remember (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #3)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • The Duke I Tempted (Secrets of Charlotte Street, #1)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
Julia writes historical romance with passion, intrigue, dark humor and the occasional animal sidekick. A tea-sodden English woman, she’s the only girl in a house of boys and yearns for all things pink and fluffy. If she isn’t writing, she’s probably reading everything she can get her hands on, spending time with her boys or procrastinating on the internet.

Facebook: https://www.fa

Harcastle Inheritance (2 books)
  • The Ruin of Evangeline Jones (Harcastle Inheritance, #2)