Start by marking “Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)

Spark City

(Spark City Cycle #1)

Erroh has a plan. A simple plan. It’ll never work.

Despite his family's warrior pedigree, he'd rather gamble and drink while living from one tavern to the next. But when his wanderings bring him upon a gruesome slaughter of innocents he is torn from carefree ways.

Spark City is on the horizon and with it the mysterious trials of The Cull. After a life spent rejecting his

Published by DePaor Press

To ask other readers questions about Spark City, please sign up.
Robert Power There's 4 books in the Spark City series, Book 2 March of Magnus will be released Spring 2019. Fantastic question on the maps- I agonized over putting…moreThere's 4 books in the Spark City series, Book 2 March of Magnus will be released Spring 2019. Fantastic question on the maps- I agonized over putting a few in, but as you discover in the book maps are incredibly rare in this world, especially reliable ones. So as much as I wanted to show readers the world I had created, I felt it adds more to give the reader the same amount of knowledge as the characters. (less)
Sea of Lost Souls by Emerald DodgeBlood and Shadow by Robin LythgoeThe Gates of Golorath by R.M. GarinoA Change of Rules by L.L. ThomsenThe God King's Legacy by Richard Nell
SPFBO 5
279 books — 129 voters
Kalanon's Rising by Darian SmithBeggar's Rebellion by Levi JacobsA Sea of Broken Glass by Sonya M. BlackThe Sword of Kaigen by M.L.  WangNever Die by Rob J. Hayes
SPFBO 5 Finalists
10 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)
kartik narayanan
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spark City is an engrossing tale that takes a little while to get going. But once it does, it does pull the reader in.

I was getting a lot of Sword of Truth vibes when reading Spark City especially Faith of the Fallen. There are shared story beats but I consider Spark City to be better written though.

Kaitlin
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spfbo-2019
* I read this as a judge for the #SPFBO as this is a 2019 finalist *

I have to say, the cover for this book was alluring, and the premise intrigued me, but when I started reading I quickly found a tone which was both elusive and naive and which never really clicked with me. We're following a main character called Erroh as he journeys to Spark City to undertake The Cull. The Cull is a ritual in his culture where females interview and test a male to see if he's worthy to become their mate, and
Lukasz
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

Spark City makes a good initial impression. Elegant cover and intriguing title coupled with generally positive reviews made me eager to read it. I liked the opening chapters as they efficiently set the tone and introduced Erroh - a snarky and superficially likable protagonist. Soon, though, my enthusiasm started to wane.

Plot & Structure

Spark City has a strange, unbalanced, structure. The first part, The Cull, is long (almost half of the book) and entertaining. The Cull is the process
Joan
Huge. Brutal. Bloody. Tragic. Terrifying. Gripping.

Its not often I read a book that really grabs my attention and won't let go until I am finished with it and at over 600 pages this was a real epic and kept me enthralled right to the end.

It started slowly, but the pace increased and I soon found myself immersed in Erroh's 'adventure'.
This is not one of those 'young boy discovers his magic ability/ancient past/secret family' sort of story. This was a story about a man who knows full well who and
Shirley Nelson
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Errol is so naive regarding women yet driven to prove himself worthy of his family. Can't wait for the next book!
Phillip
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Is this a love story, yes it is, but not like I have ever read before, when you get so frustrated with the book during the cull, don't stop, power through it just like the hero in the book, you won't regret it, book 2 where are you?
Bill Goodman
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in years.

Characters that seem human, a gripping story that draws you in and won't let go and protagonists who have flaws, just like the rest of us.

If you read one fiction book this summer, this should be it !
Peter.J.Wood
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant story

Once you get into this book, you can't stop turning the pages. Bring on the next chapter, I want to know what happens next .
Jan
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Spark City! Every character you meet is so strong and you just get sucked into their world. Beautifully written, I couldn’t put it down. I’ll definitely be buying the next installment in the series as soon as it’s out.
Keith Jorden
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I really enjoyed this book! Very well put together, I loved the character development can’t wait for the next one!
Greg Thomas
Intwro

I will be honest I expected more from a SPFBO 2019 finalist. This one for bogged down in a weird love story and only got good in the end
Jeremy
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I loathed the first few pages of this book, I stuck with it for a bit and after the first couple of chapters I had a hard time putting it down. The characters suck you in and force you to stay up well past your bed time. I can't wait for book two.
Jonathan Whittenton
A great read from what looks like a first time writer. A great beginning of a story with good world building. There are some rough transitions in the book. A few times it is difficult to know who is the main perspective in a chapter, so you may have to read a handful of paragraphs to get the transition.
Catherine Geaney
I found myself enthralled by Erroh, a young man faced with an oncoming chaos that everyone else wants to ignore. Great character, we really get to see what drives him the good and the bad! I can't wait to read the next in this series!
Esme
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
We are introduced to Erroh, one of our main characters, with the general impression that he’s going to be a young, and snarky coward. The opening scene is of him playing cards and getting caught cheating. He doesn’t feel bad about the cheating and seems to learn little from his blunder being caught. He’s on his way to The Cull, he doesn’t want to go, and he’s finding as many distractions as he can along the way. He’s very interested in the ladies but doesn’t have an abundance of skills. He tends ...more
Victoria Rogers
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read from a first time writer I cant recommend it enough.
Nancy Foster
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel quite torn about this book. For an SPFBO finalist, I am conflicted about the odd structure of this story and its worldbuilding. Since I never read the other semifinalists of that group, I cannot say much about whether any of them deserved the coveted spot.

And in a way, it is a shame the book didn't polish the world building and make it better because the final 15% was actually quite good.

A good part of problem falls on the protagonist Erroh who acts all macho alpha and women apparently
Fox
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jen King
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gladiator shacking up instead of avenging his wife

This books main character reminded me of General Maximus from Gladiator. Superhuman skill with a sword;a leader of men;devoted to friends and family and willing to go to any lengths to protect them. And like Maximus, this book beats the main character down in the process of building him up. There’s action in the book, but that’s not the focus. The focus is the main characters budding relationship with his new companion. It’s a romance of sorts,
roy  douglas lynch
Robuster

The hook was slow to set. The beginning drug on and on.There wasn’t enough back story. The protagonist , in the beginning was underdeveloped. It took a 150 pages to get interesting.
The Cull was the best part of this story. It by far was the most interesting aspect of this story. This should have been looked into more. This should have been the hook.
I didn’t care for the bickering of the two love interests.
Like all of these novels, the villain makes the story. Unfortunately , there were
Darren McGowan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining

Wow, this was good. This is a story of a lovable wanderer with a love of booze and cards,or is it? Let's just say part way through the story does a magnificent turn. Lots of witty banter and some really cool action scenes. What amazed me was the emotions,frustrations ( sometimes hatred) that just drop off the pages. There were times when I was uncomfortable just reading the dynamics of certain circumstances. A little less " my love" would of been nice, but if that's my biggest
John M Schulz
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall positive

I overall ended up like the book. The main complaint o have is that, at certain points, hints of the future plot are flatly stated. It felt like it was for narrative effect, but I found it simply frustrating. However the main character grew on me, and I found the plot engaging, especially when he shifted to two viewpoint characters and the reader was left with less frustration over understanding things through the lens of a main hero who was ignorant of many things for the first
Joshua Lax
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Book!

Finally its been awhile since I have found an author that holds up. I am incredibly grateful that for the length of the book and the narrative in general. He spends just the right amount of time in description with his own flair that sets him apart from many authors these days. The action is well told and the twists are great without being too crazy. Just the right amount of impossible.
Tusar Mia
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Brilliant!

Wow! The writing was top notch, the story a classic, the characters absolutely captivating. The interplay between Erroh and Lea was similar to that between Tiger and Del by Jennifer Roberson. That is rare, I have found. Bring on The March of Magnus. I simply cannot wait.
Mr P Hayes
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Gem of a Read.

Such a refreshing approach to the sword and fantasy genre. I enjoyed this novel enormously and the last sentence left me scurrying to find the next in the cycle. The author sustains interest and reader involvement throughout its considerable length and I want more! For fans of Joe Abercrombie and the like, I thoroughly recommend this read.
Joe Kampman
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful read

I read many books. Some keep my attention, some are difficult to get through, and some like this one grab hold and don't let go. If I could have I would have read this cover to cover without stopping. My duties to my family prevent this. When I wasn't reading it I was figuring out when I could return to it. A wonderful tale masterfully told.
Shad Pease
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

Wonderful. I hated the main character and was disgusted by his failings. Endearing. I continually chastised the decisions and clear lack of heroic resemblance. Wow. Darkly written and I could not stop reading. Simply well done!
Brad Lamorgese
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I think I found a new favorite author! This is great fantasy. Love the characters and Erroh is a really great protagonist. You have it all here: action, A love story, tragedy, and some interesting lore. It is well done and highly recommend it!
michael fultz
Great ride

This story grabbed you right away ,are cast of characters though not many came to life very quickly,this adventure was a fantastic journey,I just have to grab the next part,excellent story.
Alan Bradshaw
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding Book

This was an excellent job of writing. I must say I'm thoroughly impressed dwith this book, it does start out slow but once it gets moving it doesn't disappoint. I can't wait for the next book in this series.

• Gloomwalker (Saga of the Severed #1)
  • Secrets and Spellcraft (Art of the Adept, #2)
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles Book 1)
  • The Choice of Magic (Art of the Adept, #1)
  • Kalanon's Rising (Agents of Kalanon #1)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Dark Wolf's Awakening: Alpha Rising 1
  • Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire #1)
  • Heart's Darkness (The Magician's Brother, #5)
  • Beggar's Rebellion (Resonant #1)
  • The Last Swordsman
  • Steel (The Cartographer #2)
  • Hollow Core (School of Swords and Serpents Book 1)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • A Chance Beginning (Shadow's Fire Trilogy #1)
  • Eclipse Core (School of Swords and Serpents Book 2)
  • Shadowborn's Terror (The Magician's Brother, #4)
Robert J Power is a fantasy writer hailing from Wicklow, Ireland and the #1 Best Selling author of the Spark City Cycle and the Dellerin Tales

His writing career started out of idle necessity, when he began spending his nights writing by his father’s bedside as his carer.

When he isn’t writing Robert enjoys the romance of music and performs as the lead singer, guitarist, and premiere songwriter in
“Erroh has a plan. A simple plan. It'll never work.” 1 likes