Start by marking “The Measure of a Monster” as Want to Read:

(InCryptid #8.5)

InCryptid novella appearing at the end of That Ain't Witchcraft
Kindle Edition
Published March 5th 2019 by DAW books

To ask other readers questions about The Measure of a Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Measure of a Monster

Lisa Wolf
An InCryptid novella that's included in That Ain't Witchcraft (InCryptid #8). The focus shifts to Alex and Shelby, who are called upon to help rescue a group of kidnapped Gorgon children. It's a fun, engaging story, and it's nice to revisit these characters, since we haven't seen them in a while. And we even get a little bit of the mice, which is always a plus in this series.
Fiona
This novella appears at the end of That Ain’t Witchcraft, and provides a much needed update for some of the rest of the family, particular given who the series focus is moving on to next.
Loved it - Shelby and Alex and their Irwin-esque approach to cryptozoology are just the absolute best.
Debrac2014
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good short story with Alex, Shelby and Sarah!
Stacey
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I missed all the cryptids! The witchcraft aspects in Annie’s books was fun and all but I love the little short stories so much.
Julie S
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun little story about Alex and Shelby and we see the return of Megan the gorgon
Kathy Davie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A short story, 8.5 in the InCryptid urban fantasy series and found in the back of That Ain't Witchcraft , 8, revolving around members of the Price-Healy family of cryptozoologists. The couple focus is on Shelby and Alex Price and set in Columbus, Ohio, just after they've returned home from Australia.

If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the InCryptid books on my website.

My Take
It's a cozy start, even if Shelby is miserable in her allergies, but it quickly tenses up when Alex
Adjectiveplusnoun
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy this review, feel free to read a multitude of other posts and reviews on my blog https://adjectiveplusnoun.wordpress.com/

AHHH! One of the big questions raised by That Ain’t Witchcraft is answered in this book, and I’m very excited for it. The Price family structure is amazing, and I can’t wait to see the effect that events from this novella will have on it. Sorry for the vagueness, but it’d be a huge spoiler to be much more specific.
The character development was the teensiest bit
Stina
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short story told from Alex’s point of view with incoming support from Shelby, Sarah, Dee, Megan and the other Pliny’s Gorgons.

As with other short stories in the Incryptid world, you don’t have to read them but each really adds just that little more to the Incryptid world and makes them more than worth it. This one goes back to the Pliny’s Gorgon community where Alex, Shelby, and Sarah are needed to help Dee and her community.
Kelly Wagner
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novella was in the back of my paperback copy of _That Ain't Witchcraft_; it's not included in the official page count for the novel, so I guess I get to count it as a separate book. Anyway, it features Alex and Shelby, though it does touch on Annie peripherally - it's apparently contemporaneous with the events of the novel.
Stefanie
Yaaay! I do miss Alex and Shelby and am glad to get a glimpse of what they’re doing now. Also I love Alex and Sarah’s relationship. And the hint from Mary in TAWC confirmed who I thought it was about. This is a nice transition piece between the most recent novel and the next, since the next is about Sarah.
Jennifer Ashburn
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great novella following Alex and Shelby helping the gorgon population with another problem! Big info bombshell for such a small novella! I am so glad to see Sarah in another book, I love for Sarah updates!! Very happy to hear the next full length will be from Sarah’s standpoint
Kiwi Carlisle
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a nice hint of things to come, as well as a refreshing return to the monster hunts of yore. It may redefine your thoughts on what a “monster” actually is, if they haven’t already been redefined by her earlier work.
Anita
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a mystery involving kidnapped gorgon children, Sarah's psychic power recovery, and a very happy announcement that will keep Mary busy soon.
Wendy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice check-in with Alex and Shelby
C.G.
In which we meet Alex and Shelby again, have a brief glimpse of the Aeslin mice and Antimony's family learns a little bit more about her adventures.
Eric Desmarais
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yay for more Sarah! Good to see Alex again. Quick, fun, and shows what real monsters are.
Pam Bales
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I "love" the Incryptid series. I miss the mouse from this novella and the book of which it is a part. Other than that, it is a great addition to the series.
Shannon
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun short story that catches us up with Alex, Shelby, and Sarah (plus the Gorgens). Quick and while not fun per se, definitely quirky and amusing.
Neeuqdrazil
More Alex and Shelby - I'm wanting to go back and re-read the Alex book(s?) now.
unusualdemoness
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great follow up with Alex and Shelby! Alex is my favorite Incryptid narrator.

This is a self-contained short story featuring characters we’ve meet in several different books in the series and also serves a great introduction to our next narrator: Sarah.

The end scene was especially cute.
BESW
Apr 12, 2019
Marcy Montgomery
Apr 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (9 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)