Start by marking “The Controller (Lynch and Rose #1)” as Want to Read:
The Controller (Lynch and Rose #1)

The Controller

(Lynch and Rose #1)

From the bestselling author of the acclaimed DCI Lambert series comes The Controller, a gripping serial killer thriller introducing Sam Lynch and Special Agent Sandra Rose.

It is six years since special agent Samuel Lynch left the FBI following the disappearance of his son, Daniel. Lynch believes an underground organisation known as The Railroad is responsible and has neve
Published May 24th 2019 by Oblong Books

To ask other readers questions about The Controller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Controller

Dash fan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4☆ Action Packed Crime Fiction

This is my first book I have read by Matt Brolly and the first book in a new series.
Both going on my to watch out for list!

The Controller is an action packed, Twisty Crime Fiction with a dash of Mystery that will most definitely keep you on your toes.

I'm not going to go into too much detail with the plot as there is lots going on and I think the blurb sums it up nicely.

Special Agent Samuel Lynch and Special Agent Rose set out to find out who is behind 'The Railroad
"Avonna
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE CONTROLLER (A Lynch and Rose Thriller Book 1) by Matt Brolly is a fast-paced, high octane suspense/thriller that I could not put down until the explosive end. A former and current FBI agent work together to bring down an organization that is only spoken about as a legend.

Special Agent Samuel Lynch left the FBI. He was forced out as he spent every minute investigating an underground organization known as The Railroad who he believed kidnapped his son and hundreds of others. Each time he gets
Kat Dietrich

The Controller by Matt Brolly is the first in the Samuel Lynch and Sandra Rose series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Oblong Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
Six years ago, Daniel Lynch went missing. He was seven. His father was the head of the San Antonio FBI field office. Following up on his son’s case cost Samue
Zoé-lee O'farrell
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tf

Well hello there Mr Brolly, I think it is safe to say you have got a new number one fan in me! How have I not read anything by you before?! This needs to be rectified!

I was sucked in from the opening pages with the tidbits of information you are given at first to Lynch and his life and a hostage situation with Special Agent Rose. From the get-go, the action and suspense is ramped up to such a high velocity I felt tired from reading it! To me, Lynch is Jack Reacher in his heyday! This man kicks a
Erin
Genre: Thriller
Publisher: Oblong Books
Release Date: May 23, 2019

Summary of The Controller
Six years ago, former FBI agent Sam Lynch‘s young son Daniel disappeared. Lynch is convinced that a mysterious organization nicknamed The Railroad is responsible. Rumor has it that they kidnap people near railroads and that each member is branded with a railroad tattoo. Problem is, the FBI doesn’t believe the Railroad even exists. After leaving the Bureau, Lynch continues an un
Elaine Tomasso
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Oblong Books for an advance copy of The Controller, the first novel to feature former FBI Special Agent Samuel Lynch and current Special Agent Sandra Rose, set in Texas.

When a home invasion goes wrong Agent Rose is put in charge of the hostage negotiation but the invader has his own agenda and insists on talking to Lynch. Lynch was investigating the disappearance of hundreds of people at various times but with one commonality, they all disappeared near railroa
Samantha Gonsalves
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The Controller by Matt Brolly is a fast-paced, gritty and fantastic piece of pure thrilling content. It hooks you in right from the get-go and the tension keeps mounting with every subsequent chapter. I found this book very difficult to put down!
Following the disappearance of his only child, 6 years ago, Samuel Lynch an ex-FBI agent has had only one goal - to find his son, Daniel. He's never stopped looking; Samuel believes that an organization called "The Railroad" is responsible for the disapp
Alexia Capsomidis
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, what a gripping read! I have to admit that having read some of Matt Brolly’s DCI Lambert books previously I couldn’t wait to start reading this as it downloaded to my Kindle.

In The Controller we are introduced to Samuel Lynch, an ex-FBI agent whose son went missing six years ago and Lynch believes a violent crime organisation called The Railroad and their leader, The Controller are responsible. Following an incident at a house invasion gone wrong, Lynch is brought in by Special Agent Sand
Janet Newport
May 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you NetGalley and Oblong Books for this arc.

I'm not sure I read the same book as other reviewers.... Maybe it's just me.... I've read a string of some really good books lately, so this may just be part of "all good things come to an end" disappointment....

WHAT A RIDICULOUS WASTE OF MY TIME!!

Or was it some silly satire of a read presented as a serial killer/police procedural???

It was obviously written by a Brit... British spellings, British idioms, British colloquialisms, but it was about
Andres Kabel
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've rarely read a thriller that wastes as little time getting to the thrills, and The Controller keeps up the pace throughout. If you loved Ludlum, this might be for you.
Darren
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a arc e book for my i pad thru net galley. I enjoyed reading it. It had a good story to it. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Corinne
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edge of the seat plot. From the minute it began I was enthralled and wanted more. Unique an interesting storyline that involves FBI scandals an wondering who can be trusted. The main character I really liked he was very real but even for an ex FBI agent he had no one to turn to. The other main character was very relatable but in a strange kind of way. In the middle of the action it reverts back to her personal life so shows a deeper side to her.
Only negative would be that important information
Maria
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can you imagine that after 6 years since your son disappeared someone gives you the hope that he is still alive? Even if you have thought all this time that he has been dead, I am sure you stick to this hope till your last breath, bad news is always better than no news.
This is a really personal case for the special agent Samuel Lynch, he is not working for the FBI anymore, he is only on one case, finding who had kidnapped his son and finding him. So when in a house call, the police arrest a man
Cindy ~
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a crazy ride this book was. You had no idea of where it was going next and the thrills and chills and betrayals just kept you moving on the down the track to the next chapter.

After reading a review and then a sample of the first couple of chapters I knew I had to read this book. The author is male and from the UK yet the book is set and takes place totally in Texas. He nailed the Texas part. My tiny little critique is no one that was born and raised in the USA calls their Mom/Mommy, Mum or
Grace J Reviewerlady
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different kind of thriller, but no less enjoyable for that. Definitely a series to keep tabs on.

Samuel Lynch was an FBI agent until his son disappeared and, understandably, that took over his life; fully believing that an unknown organisation was involved, he has never given up on finding his boy. Sandra Rose is the Special Agent who arrests a perpetrator of heinous crimes who demands to speak to Lynch, intimating that he knows the whereabouts of his son. With agency bosses refusing to believe
Alison
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really gripping read. I was pleased to find this new novel by Matt Brolly. It is a departure on his early work, which was about the British police. This book is more of a thriller, with non-stop action, set in Texas. I liked the edge this new setting gave the book, and I couldn't put it down.
Urszula
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intense, chilling and gruesome, The Controller kept me up wondering about the next move in the plot. Emotional (yes, some tears were shed) and engaging, it was a great read. What a ride!
Paul Bailey
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley. Fantastic, action packed read. Never lets up pace and I really hope the author has more planned for this series. Thanks to Netgalley and Oblong Books for the copy.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Review to follow in May!
Jeanette
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time that i have read any books by Matt Brolly and am now eager to read more. 'The Controller' was an excellent read and had me hooked from virtually the first page. I do prefer thrillers when they are fast paced which this book certainly was. Recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy.
Kate
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This, unfortunately, was one of my less favorite books of late. While it did have some bright spots, overall, it was a miss for me.

I liked the overall premise of a secret organization disappearing people around train tracks. I found it plausible and scary and original. I enjoyed the character Samuel Lynch. I wanted him to win. His motivations and actions were realistic and he became a full-fledged person for me.

I did not like the torture scenes, the Rose character, the British slang coming out
Lel Budge
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: damppebbles
The Controller had promised to call him and Lynch had promised to himself he would end the man’s life.”

This is #1 in the Lynch and Rose series by Matt Brolly.

Special Agent Sandra Rose is called to the aftermath of an hostage situation. Razinski had the Gunn family trapped in their home but tortured and murdered them all. After his arrest he is demanding to speak to ex-FBI Agent Samuel Lynch..

Razinski has killed all the family and a police officer and has been taken into custody while Lynch is fo
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
Wow! What a book! This was action packed from start to finish, and literally had me hanging on every word!

We meet ex FBI agent Samuel Lynch after he’d been requested by a criminal at a murder/hostage situation…..but why? And why is he an ex-agent?

Special Agent Sandra Rose meets Lynch and things start to go wrong….is The Railroad, a mythical organisation that she’s heard, of real? How is Lynch involved? And who is The Controller?

I’m not saying any more than that! Honestly, this has twists and tur
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Wow!  Thank you Emma for introducing me to a brand new author.  I knew I was in for something exciting when Zoe from http://zooloosbookdiary.co.uk/ told me how good it was but I still wasn't expecting what I got.

The controller reads like a high octane action movie and it's packed with tension and suspense form the word go!  This book goes way beyond any crime novel I've read before and is completely character focused rather than on the procedural aspect of crime solving.

The combination of Lync
Kaye
May 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
As I read The Controller, a theory developed about why the book disappointed me so: The author is clearly British, the prose is riddled with British usages and spellings, yet the characters, the setting, and the law enforcement agencies are all American. Perhaps this disconnect is what created the feeling of implausiblity and inauthenticity?

It seemed as if there was some such small, clashing detail that snagged my attention and made me lose my reader's focus on every. single. page. I haven't rea
Feed The Crime
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up to 5
This is the definition of a thriller! It made me shout at the book.. Does the Railroad even exist? Who is The Controller and what did he do with Lynch’s son all them years ago!
Believe me when I say that you are in for a while ride!
You can read the rest of my review here: https://feedthecrime.wordpress.com/20...
darlene stroud
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gripping

Couldn’t stop reading. Guess I can get some sleep now. Never read this author but will definitely be following in the future.
Margaret Lind
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked this story until the plot started to become too far from reality. I dont like conspiracy theories.
Catherine
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good

Really enjoyed this book. A bit frightening and violent but a good story holds everything together. Interested to read the next book.

Following his law degree where he developed an interest in criminal law, Matt Brolly completed his Masters in Creative Writing at Glasgow University.

He is the bestselling author of the DCI Lambert crime novels, Dead Eyed, Dead Lucky and Dead Embers. The fourth in the series, Dead Time, was released by Canelo in May 2018. In addition he is the author of the acclaimed near future crime novel, Zer