Start by marking “Reception” as Want to Read:
Reception

Reception

While her rehab counselor’s advice replays in her mind, Ansley Boone takes on the role of dutiful bridesmaid in her little sister’s wedding at an isolated resort in the middle of hill country, a place where cell reception is virtually nonexistent and everyone else there seems a stranger primed to spring. Tensions are already high between the Boones and their withdrawal suf ...more
Published March 15th 2019 by Death's Head Press (first published March 11th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Reception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reception

Start your review of Reception
James
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
FUN with a capital F!

RECEPTION is bloody, nightmarish satire -- a horror story that's hilarious and at the same time a comedic tale that's gruesome and damned scary! Recommended.
Sadie Hartmann
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: night-worms
Just last month I read RED STATION, Book 7 in the Splatter Western Series written by Kenzie Jennings and published by Death's Head Press. I was so blown away by her storytelling, I decided to host a read along on #bookstagram of her debut novel, RECEPTION.
The group read was scheduled to start on Valentine's Day, February 14th, 2021 but before I was even able to open a group chat for discussion, I had participants saying they had already binge-read the book and were finished!
An indication of good
Josh
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Reception requires a lot of patience, taking nearly half the book to get to the good (gory) bits. Whilst the prolonged set-up established the cast of characters, it detracted from the intense opening stanza and limited the impact once the cannibal carnival kicked off. As far as survival horror goes, this one is decent enough with plenty of 'ready for film' moments and suspense filled scenes. 3.5/5 stars. ...more
Mindi
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up to 5 for Goodreads. Even though this one takes a little bit to get going, I was laughing out loud throughout this one. The second half is pure gold. I'm just still trying to decide how I feel about the ending. ...more
Darrell Grizzle
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Reception” starts off like a literary novel about family drama and sibling rivalry. Ansley Boone is fresh out of rehab, trying to hold it together long enough to be bridesmaid at her sister’s wedding at a remote resort. Everything seems normal until a member of the groom’s family makes a wildly inappropriate remark to Ansley. That’s her first indication that something isn’t quite right. Then the wedding party turns into a violent cannabalistic feast. If you like gory horror mixed with sardonic ...more
Red Lace Reviews
(THAT ENDING. Review to come.)
Lisa Lee
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I purchased Reception from the author at Killercon 2019. I was not familiar with Kenzie at the time, but there she sat at one of the tables during the author signing with a single title before her and a deceptively sweet smile on her face.

Me: So, tell me what your book is about.

Her: Cannibals at a wedding reception!

Me: Sold!

That is, in fact, just how it happened.

And then, recently, I read it.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Yes, cannibals at a wedding reception, but so much more than that.

Reception by Kenzie Jennin
Tracy Robinson
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I scrub my hands until they are raw and burning. Bloody crust under my fingernails, rimming my cuticles…Shay is slumped against the wall in a fluffy heap of crinoline, satin, and gore-spattered brocade” (Jennings 7)

No worries, that isn’t a huge spoiler, that quote is from the first page of Jennings’ tale. Beginning in medias res, Reception sucked me in and gave me an inkling of what to expect later on in the novel. Jennings handles this perfectly. From this gore-splattered scene, we are then l
Chris Miller
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific characters and some smart twists send this gory family drama into the stratosphere.

RECEPTION is about Ansley, a woman who's been trying to ease herself off of Benzo after getting a prescription and getting hooked. She's estranged from her family, but her little sister Shay is getting married, and Ansley is determined she can be there on her sister's big day. The event is held at a remote resort, no cell signal, and Ansley isn't sure if her growing discomfort is from her withdrawals or i
Tracy Robinson
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Carmilla Voiez
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
About half way through this novella (or short novel) I was all set to write - "To those of you who claim indie authors are not worth your time, I give you "Reception" by Kenzie Jennings. This story is tightly written and full of powerful imagery, better than many traditionally published books in the genre. Words are never wasted and Jenning's descriptions are beautiful and evocative, guiding you through the first person narrative."

Unfortunately, the second half wobbles somewhat. The narrative ra
Paul Preston
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Crusted with blood, gristle stuck between your teeth, and giggles bubbling up your throat, this was the book I needed. Light hearted and fun, Reception starts off full gore and ends with no holds barred brutality.
Kenzie Jennings writes in such an entertaining way that every part of this book is enjoyable. Sisterly banter and dark foreshadowing keep the plot moving even when the blood isn’t flowing.
This is not for the faint of heart, but for more for those that like their books on the raw side.
Sea Caummisar
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.
This book had such a slow start. I almost dnf'ed it. The ending was so great, I'm glad that I did finish it. If the ending hadn't been so great I would have rated it even lower.
This book had such a slow start. I don't mind first person POV, but I did not like the main character. Someone told me this book was great. So I pushed through, not enjoying being stuck in the head of a character I didn't care for.
It was page after page after page of build up. Then the gore star
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
This one took a little bit to get going and get to good gory parts, but once it gets started it's a fun bloodbath!

Ansley is taking a break from rehab to go to her little sister's wedding out in the boonies. At the wedding resort (which isn't much of a resort at all) everyone knows all about her and her benzo addiction and the groom's family is giving her creepy vibes. Turns out the groom's family is a bunch of cannibals and Ansley and her sister are on the menu.

I loved the sisterly bonding part
Elizabeth Gonzalez-Collazo IG - Shereadswithcoffee
Weddings and In-laws and Cannibals, OH MY!!

When I saw that Mother.Horror AKA Sadie Hartman was hosting a read along of Reception by Kenzie Jennings on IG I needed to jump on this bandwagon!

A few gore-loving bookstagrammers, partook in this read along and glad that I was part of it! First that prologue just grabs you; right out the gate, we get a glimpse of what is going on without really knowing what is going on!! We meet Ansley Boone, who was already estranged from her family due to some ill-
Richard Martin
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bridesmaids meets Devil’s Rejects

When Jeff Strand not only recommends a book but writes the forward for it, I tend to pay attention. If, like me, this means you go into Kenzie Jenning’s Reception expecting a Strand-like light comedy horror, then prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

Ansley Boone is set to be a bridesmaid at her younger sister’s wedding, taking place in an isolated but picturesque resort. Ansley has left rehab prematurely in order to be there for the bride, Shay, with whom she has m
Tarn Richardson
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've long been a fan of Kenzie Jennings' blog 'This On Purpose'. Take a look. It's worth it. She writes with a searing honestly, a daring flourish, a great wedge of tongue in cheek humour and, quite simply, beautifully. She's moved me to anger, tears, disbelief and uncontrollable laughter in what she's revealed with her bloggish ramblings. Naturally, I've longed and wished for her to be published, to see how she would tackle a full blown novel. So when she was, I was both delighted and concerned ...more
Holly Odom
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating read

Purchased this book on a whim and as a departure from my usual genre. The plot was intriguing and surprising; it kept me guessing until the end. I may have found a new genre to explore and look forward to more from Ms Jennings.
Sandra Deem
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, and bloody ride!

A good friend of the author recommended this book to me, so I bought it. Being a huge horror fan, I’m always up to feeding that need (pun intended) and this book more than meet my needs!
Tina Valdes
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gory debut!

If you are in to the horror genre at all, you should give this new author a try. I really enjoyed this gruesome novel with a twist.
Erin Talamantes
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ansley is the black sheep of the family. She’s currently in rehab and going through withdrawal, when her sister asks her to be a bridesmaid at her wedding.
Ansley decides to go, even though she knows it’s going to be a lot to handle with her current situation, but she loves her sister and wants to be a part of her big day.
The wedding is being held at a resort that is super isolated and has the worst cell service ever.
You can probably imagine how high the tensions are between both families, esp
Janine Pipe
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I shouldn't have to say this but for the sake of integrity, please read this review with the knowledge that Kenzie is a friend and someone I go to for advice. The fact that I have gotten to *know* her does not detract from the fact she is an amazing writer. Okay, now on with the show ...
I bought Reception the same time as Red Station as I had recently *met* Kenzie and was intrigued to read some more extreme writing from a woman. I bloody loved RS so I was very excited to read this. It took some
Matt Holder
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is hosted on my blog at https://uponyourmarrowbones.wordpress..., and I've copied it below.

I picked up Reception by Kenzie Jennings because of her short story “Peelings” in Grindhouse Press’s recent anthology, Worst Laid Plans. Apart from the story’s surreal ending, the piece stood out due to Jennings’s razor-sharp characterization, how she captured the nuance and subtle manipulations of an abusive relationship with such accuracy and affect. So I picked up her debut novel, published
Christina Eleanor
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ansley Boone is a young woman with issues. She has been in rehab to manage her detox and anger management. Her little sister, Shay, is getting married and is insisting Ansley be a part of the wedding. Ansley arrives at the “resort” where the wedding is to take place and begins to meet her soon to be in-laws that talk the talk and walk the walk of upper echelon sophistication. It is a wedding! It’s supposed to be a happy day! Jennings gives us a glimpse of what it’s like to be in the bridal party ...more
Justin
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
There is a strong contrast between the first and second halfs of Kenzie Jenning's RECEPTION. The first half is a slow burn that challenges you into thinking, "perhaps I'm reading quiet horror?" Unsure about the outcome, but engaged enough to see where it's leading you, the subtle build up leads to an EXPLOSIVE second half. Ripe, squishy, and bloody. No, this is not quiet horror...

THIS IS LOUD!

Jennings certainly has a flair for suspensful writing, as well as an almost natural sense for guiding h
Bob
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just WOW! An excellent horror thriller in the vein of Richard Laymon. A wedding reception gone horribly wrong seen through the eyes of a recovering over prescribed opioid addict. Well developed characters and situations. Very highly recommended.
Doug Burris
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I love Kenzie’s writing style and also love the book. Not as gory as I expected. A must-read—well done, Kenzie.
Lucy Spencer
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you appreciate gruesome horror and well fleshed (teehee) characters, this is a fun read and an excellent debut for this author. Hope to read a lot more of her work.
Elaina
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exciting debut and a fun read!
Anna.K
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ending blew my mind. Great read.

• The Thirteenth Koyote