Start by marking “Reception” as Want to Read:
Reception

Reception

While her rehab counselor’s advice replays in her mind, Ansley Boone takes on the role of dutiful bridesmaid in her little sister’s wedding at an isolated resort in the middle of hill country, a place where cell reception is virtually nonexistent and everyone else there seems a stranger primed to spring. Tensions are already high between the Boones and their withdrawal suf ...more
Published March 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Reception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reception

Start your review of Reception
James
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
FUN with a capital F!

RECEPTION is bloody, nightmarish satire -- a horror story that's hilarious and at the same time a comedic tale that's gruesome and damned scary! Recommended.
Josh
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Reception requires a lot of patience, taking nearly half the book to get to the good (gory) bits. Whilst the prolonged set-up established the cast of characters, it detracted from the intense opening stanza and limited the impact once the cannibal carnival kicked off. As far as survival horror goes, this one is decent enough with plenty of 'ready for film' moments and suspense filled scenes. 3.5/5 stars.
Darrell Grizzle
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Reception” starts off like a literary novel about family drama and sibling rivalry. Ansley Boone is fresh out of rehab, trying to hold it together long enough to be bridesmaid at her sister’s wedding at a remote resort. Everything seems normal until a member of the groom’s family makes a wildly inappropriate remark to Ansley. That’s her first indication that something isn’t quite right. Then the wedding party turns into a violent cannabalistic feast. If you like gory horror mixed with sardonic ...more
Chris Miller
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific characters and some smart twists send this gory family drama into the stratosphere.

RECEPTION is about Ansley, a woman who's been trying to ease herself off of Benzo after getting a prescription and getting hooked. She's estranged from her family, but her little sister Shay is getting married, and Ansley is determined she can be there on her sister's big day. The event is held at a remote resort, no cell signal, and Ansley isn't sure if her growing discomfort is from her with
Carmilla Voiez
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
About half way through this novella (or short novel) I was all set to write - "To those of you who claim indie authors are not worth your time, I give you "Reception" by Kenzie Jennings. This story is tightly written and full of powerful imagery, better than many traditionally published books in the genre. Words are never wasted and Jenning's descriptions are beautiful and evocative, guiding you through the first person narrative."

Unfortunately, the second half wobbles somewhat. The
Tarn Richardson
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've long been a fan of Kenzie Jennings' blog 'This On Purpose'. Take a look. It's worth it. She writes with a searing honestly, a daring flourish, a great wedge of tongue in cheek humour and, quite simply, beautifully. She's moved me to anger, tears, disbelief and uncontrollable laughter in what she's revealed with her bloggish ramblings. Naturally, I've longed and wished for her to be published, to see how she would tackle a full blown novel. So when she was, I was both delighted and concerned as ...more
Holly Odom
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating read

Purchased this book on a whim and as a departure from my usual genre. The plot was intriguing and surprising; it kept me guessing until the end. I may have found a new genre to explore and look forward to more from Ms Jennings.
Tina Valdes
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gory debut!

If you are in to the horror genre at all, you should give this new author a try. I really enjoyed this gruesome novel with a twist.
Sandra Deem
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, and bloody ride!

A good friend of the author recommended this book to me, so I bought it. Being a huge horror fan, I’m always up to feeding that need (pun intended) and this book more than meet my needs!
Doug Burris
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I love Kenzie’s writing style and also love the book. Not as gory as I expected. A must-read—well done, Kenzie.
Lucy Spencer
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you appreciate gruesome horror and well fleshed (teehee) characters, this is a fun read and an excellent debut for this author. Hope to read a lot more of her work.
Elaina
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exciting debut and a fun read!
Anna.K
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ending blew my mind. Great read.
Tristan Drue Rogers
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
M. Dixon
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Reading this novel reminded me of watching an A24 film. It starts out as a drama but evolves into cannibalistic mayhem.

Highly recommended!

MLD
Tracy Robinson
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-5 stars. Not quite sure yet. Was a hell of a ride. Review up soon.
George
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bomb story
Thesincouch
Nov 03, 2019 marked it as dnf
The writing was not as slick as I wanted it to be.
Jarod Barbee