Start by marking “Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)” as Want to Read:
Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)

Wild Country

(The World of the Others #2)

17 hours, 58 minutes

In this powerful and exciting fantasy set in the world of the New York Times bestselling Others series, humans and the shape-shifting Others will see whether they can live side by side...without destroying one another.

There are ghost towns in the world—places where the humans were annihilated in retaliation for the slaughter of the shape-shifting
Audio CD, Unabridged
Published March 5th 2019 by Penguin Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about Wild Country, please sign up.
Dan Allnatt I would say you do really need to read the other books with Meg and Simon in first. There are events that cross over in this book and there is a lot…moreI would say you do really need to read the other books with Meg and Simon in first. There are events that cross over in this book and there is a lot of mentioning of people and events that happened in them.(less)

Start your review of Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
carol.
May 26, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Others
The short version: Wild Country is All The Books in The Others series chopped then tossed together in a fruit salad. In other words, there's nothing that's new, but presentation is everything; it feels a bit fresher, more streamlined, and better paced. I've been trying to figure out if I could recommend people just read this book and skip the rest. Maybe.

Given that this contains All The Details from prior books,* I'll note that it fixes many of the shortcomings, particularly those in plot. Since
Jilly
Believe it or not, Jilly has a few weaknesses that aren't chocolate.. I know, it's shocking. But true! One of these is forgetting names and another is being "directionally challenged". So, when you give me a book that is set two neighboring towns - but different from the others in the series - and then bring in some people that we should remember - and then have the timeline of it being before the last book written and during one of the books a few years back......
Jilly is confused.

But, what I
Corina
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting a new book by Anne Bishop is becoming one of my most highly anticipated things of the year. When I started reading her The Others series exactly two years ago, December of 2016, I had no idea how much this series is going to mean to me. I just recently binge read the first five books again, and loved them as much as the first time around.

Wild Country is a kind of continuation of the original five books. Because of that I wouldn’t recommend jumping into this book without reading the other
3.5 stars but I’m rounding up because I loved the rest of the series so much!

Wild Country is the book I was expecting when I first picked up Lake Silence so I was really excited that we were being given the chance to catch up with familiar faces from Prairie Gold and Bennett. Bennett's human population was wiped out in the war started by the Humans First and Last group, only the Intuit settlement at Prairie Gold survived but they're pretty cut off now that Bennett is a ghost town. Thanks to
Mimi
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, urban-fantasy
Initial reaction:

Not good and yet I'm looking forward to the next book. It's complicated... not this series, but the reason I'm drawn to it and keep on returning to it even though it just isn't good.

More on this later, when I sort it out.

* * * * *

Now that I've had a few days to sort it out, I've come to the conclusion that my attachment to these books is quite simple, really. I only like one thing and that one thing is karmic retribution, and this series has it in strides. By the end of each
Sheyla ✎

Now we are talking!

Wild Country was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! It was as good as reading a Meg and Simon's book! It had all the right elements to hook me from the very first chapter.

The timeline of Wild Country is around the time Crispin's brother shows up to the Lakeside Courtyard on Etched in Bone. We get to meet new characters and get to know more of the old ones too.

Jessie and Tobias Walker (mother and son) are Intuits. Jessie gets a "feel" for people while Tobias gets a "feel" for animals. They are
Kat
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2
Ah, a return to the world of the Others, where pack law rules and humans are no longer the dominant species. This tale takes place mainly in the town of Bennet, out in the wild country, and during the same time period as the last book in the Simon and Meg series. (Simon and Meg <3 <3 <3) Sorry, fangirl moment over. I loved getting an all new cast of characters, with some of the same issues as before, and watching the world shift and grow. Virgil, Barbara Allen, Talaya, Jana, Tobias… so ...more
♥Rachel♥
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Bennett is one of the towns where the humans were obliterated by the Elders (the scariest of Others) since the Humans First and Last Group slaughtered many Others, and humans alike. The Elders took out a bunch of towns, and so they sit deserted, but Bennett is a place that Others claimed, a town along an important train route. They feel they must claim the town, so other nefarious human groups won’t come in, take advantage and settle. Unfortunately, Bennett’s still an attractive prospect to a ...more
Beth
Bishop masterfully writes a twisting tale that utterly ensnared me. White knuckle, riveting reading at its finest! Pulling the reader through the gambit of emotions, Wild Country and The Others Series truly delivers what I strive to find in every book I read.

I see a re-read of The Others series starting now!

I received this ARC copy of Wild Country from Berkley Publishing Group - Ace. This is my honest and voluntary review. Wild Country is set for publication March 5, 2019.

My Rating: 5 stars
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was another wonderful installment in a fantastic series. I have devoured each book in the series and eagerly look forward to each new installment. I had a digital review copy of this book but decided to go with the audiobook this time around and I think that it was a good choice. I was hooked by the story right away and had a hard time putting the book aside. I really enjoyed the experience of reading this book.

This book takes
Deborah Obida
Loved it. It wasn't as great as Simon and Meg's story but its cool. Am super glad its nothing like Lake Silence, that was a parody of Simon and Meg's story.

Wild country is different in a good kind of way. I love all the multiple characters with their different background. The book is written in third person multiple POVs so its easy to know what most of the characters are thinking, even the villians have a POV, which I didn't appreciate at first.

The world building is kind of dystopian with a
Douglas Meeks
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to "The Others" I find it next to impossible to stay unbiased since this is one of the most unique series being written today. The mix of characters and the way you are brought into the mindset of each of them draws you deep into these stories and you wish they would never end.

This book as with the previous one is in a new locality, Bennett is not 100% new since we have heard of it before in the original books. It is a bit less settled than any of the other books and while it is
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
There is almost nothing more than the dark almost creepy world that Bishop has created in The Others series.

With all the supernatural creatures we have all come to know, love and become fascinated with, but with a darker more sinister, no nonsense twist that is completely unique and one I completely adore.

Even though I miss Meg, Simon and all the gang from the original series so very much, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to know after the first book in the spin off, Lake
Celeste
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

“We are here. We are different but we stand united to protect our home. We are different but we protect our families by blood or by heart. We are different but not alone. Never alone.

We are here.”

Wild Country is a fun return to a world I came to love years ago, but from a side that felt fresh and new and even more dangerous than the original series. It was more vicious than preceding books, though it still maintained the simplicity that first
Robin (Bridge Four)
Lake Silence, World of the Others #1, was a story with completely different characters from the main Others series. It was a good departure from the main series and I completely enjoyed it. Wild Country, World of the Others #2 is really The Others 5.5ish. At first, I was completely thrown off because it was a huge shift and timeline wise it was prior to book 1. It took awhile to immerse myself back into the story as some things are happening concurrently to Etched in Bone book 5 of The Others ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/03/05/...

Wild Country by Anne Bishop is, bar none, my favorite book in the world of The Others to date. All my favorite elements have been brought back, while all the gripes have been either corrected or dealt with. Also, I am simply loving this spinoff format allowing the author limitless opportunities to explore the stories of other people, creatures, and places in this wondrous magical world of Thaisia.

Before I continue,
Betül
**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**

description

I absolutely love the amazing world Anne Bishop has created for The Others series. The paranormal beings aren't romanticized and shown in a heroic light. They are something to be afraid of because they will always protect their own first. They don't think or act like humans. They are and always will be predators. If you have read the previous books then some names will sound familiar but there are also a lot of new faces. Expect
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

Fans of The Others series may admit that not much has changed in the last 3 books or so, and generally that isn't an issue. The simple, day to day scenes of earnest humans living with their powerful neighbors are sweet and funny. These moments are the cream floating atop whatever greedy plot some other group of humans are building behind the Others' backs.

The key to this formula working, again and again, is not going to be the element of surprise.
☕️Kimberly
And now I have to wait for the next. *cries*
Narrated by Alexandra Harris, Bishop takes us to the town of Bennett, set at the base of the Elder Hills. Once a robust human occupied town along the railway, it is now almost abandoned after the Teeth and Claw annihilated the humans in retribution for the slaughter of shapeshifters. (mostly the Wolfguard) It is now being resettled as a mixed community for Others and Humans.

Jana Paniccia recently graduated from the police academy and is hoping to
Ian
That was great.
It overlaps with Etched in Bone but with the focus on the town of Bennett rather than Lakeside.

But...

What on earth happened to the characters in Lake Silence? Wasn't that supposed to be the beginning of a series?
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Anne Bishop has really outdone herself with this one. I adore her series, The Others. The first five books take place in Lakeside and are some amazing books. I was so sad when I heard that Simon and Meg's story were done, and then elated to hear that she was going to continue the series with books set in other locales around the world she'd built, with different casts of characters. I enjoyed
Dichotomy Girl
I really liked that this book was similar in tone to the original series. However, I wish that it had been a little more focused on one person, like the early books were mostly focused on Meg.
Treece
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating:4 1/2 stars

A compelling, sweeping novel in the universe of The Blood Prophet/Others. Dark and dazzling, I couldn't put it down until I finished. Anne Bishop always delivers.
Yodamom
This spin off from The Others places us in a recovering town. One the Elders are watching, and judging to see if there is any reason to cleanse their lands. This is dark side, after the great tearing, ripping and cleansing. There is distrust, dislike and hate, around every edge in this world, building a new community will be harder. They learned.
I think I have a thing for cranky werewolves. I loved Simon in The Others and now Virgil, both cranky, possessive, protective alpha males. While they
Brit Andrews
Let’s start off by saying that I love the original series with Meg and Simon... I did not like Lake Silence and this? I was excited for this one because I liked the characters familiar from before. Up until I wanna say 75% of the book I liked it was ready to give 4 stars... it couldn’t be 5 for me for various reasons but then... everything just went sooooo wrong.

This book takes place in Bennett one of the towns previously occupied by humans but due to the events in Marked in Flesh and the whole
Eva Melchor
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has, by far, been the most disappointing series of books that I have read. Anne Bishop has created a great world that she doesn't know how to write about or expand in an effective way. A great concept that's wasted on a mediocre writer. Like, what is the point of introducing the family headed by two males if you're not going to spend a decent amount of time on them? We never see the children learn anything from older Others of their kind. Isn't that the reason they moved to Bennet? The ...more
Wendy
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019, aug-19
Wild Country is the second "World Of The Others" novel and it didn't tie into the events of Lake Silence, the first book in the series.
I thoroughly enjoy the author's world building but with the many characters introduced in this novel, it became confusing.
I love the concept of the Others, of beings that take charge of the world and keep the humans in check. This was nicely done in her previous books but felt a bit lost with this one.
I didn't lose myself in this story as I normally do.

However,
Melissa
All right, I’ll start by saying I love Anne Bishop. She is an auto-buy author for me, and when Wild Country came up for an Advance Reader, I couldn’t pass up the chance to get a hold of it early.
Rather than continuing the timeline established by Lake Silence, her previous book, the timeline in Wild Country takes us back to the towns of Prairie Gold and Bennett. Transpiring over the events occurring at the end of Meg and Simon's story, but before the events in Lake Silence. I feel like this book
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Anne Bishop has done something a little different with this story. WILD COUNTRY is set in the world of the Others and if you’ve read the previous book, LAKE SILENCE, then I’m sure that you’ll recognize some of the events that happen in this book. The timeline coincide with one another and I personally really love it when authors do things like this because it shows off their talent as an author. It’s hard to keep timelines straight as it is but to have two books happening at the same time
OutlawPoet
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this book last night and I’m literally tempted to read it all over again right now.

In Wild Country, author Anne Bishop brings us back to the world of The Others – and it’s a world of pack dynamics and things with teeth and claws.

Now, I do recommend you read the first book in the series before this one, if only to truly understand the very tentative Human/Terra Indigene relationships here…and how very dangerous it is.

Our Others are wonderful, our humans funny (or horrible

• Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • In a Badger Way (Honey Badger Chronicles, #2)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • American Witch
  • Cast in Oblivion (The Chronicles of Elantra, #14)
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of over twenty novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. She has written a new series, the Others, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this

The World of the Others (2 books)
  • Lake Silence (The World of the Others, #1; The Others, #6)
“HE HAS TEETH. SHE HAS A GUN. THEY ARE THE LAW.” 2 likes
“It was equally clear, at least to her, that no one on the right side of sanity messed with Douglas Burke.” 1 likes