Start by marking “Living Dangerously” as Want to Read:
Living Dangerously

Living Dangerously

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  2,572 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Love will find a way. A wonderfully romantic novel from the No. 1 Sunday Times bestselling author of Recipe for Love, A French Affair and The Perfect Match.

Polly Cameron is happy being thirty-five and celibate, living in a small Gloucestershire town with a possessive cat for company and a Rayburn for comfort. After all, a relationship would only complicate things...

But Po
Published June 5th 2003 by Arrow (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Living Dangerously, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Dangerously

Amy (Turn the Page)
Dec 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not quite sure why I was so determined to finish this, other than it was undemanding and I was bored.

I've grown to hate Ffordes characters. The women always act like they're about 60, despite supposedly being quite young, but are always innocent, sweet, naive and old fashioned while the men are always much older, overly protective and patronising, inevitably calling them (or implying) 'you silly little thing' one way or another. The woman stubbornly holds on to her ideas of independence and ref
Aug 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wouldn-t-re-read
I always feel slightly mean giving a book 1 star but I have to say I didn't enjoy this book and I think the worst part of it was I felt like it COULD quite easily have been a book I enjoyed- if the characters communicated even slightly better throughout the majority of the book instead of perpetually arguing and yet insisting they were in love with the other in a way that just felt rather confusingly rushed. I'll be honest, though, the main thing that put me off and threw me out of the story wer ...more
Jan 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: anglophilia
Poorly edited and lacks the character development I've grown to expect of her, but I love this author and if you're a romantic at all, she's always a nice read.
Kate’s Book Spot
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found that this story took me a while to get into but once I did it was definitely addictive – I really wanted to find out what Polly would decide to do with her life.

Polly is a cautious character who is happy living the single and celibate life, she had some not so great experiences when she was younger and this has left her unwilling to jump into the dating scene. Her friends and mother all urge her to give men a chance and they keep trying to set her up, this has some funny consequences tha
May 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is another modern take of Pride and Prejudice, but in Fforde's deft hands, it truly shines. It's her first book and unlike most romance authors, her inexperience does not show. In fact, this and The Rose Revived are her best books. She's gotten too formularic as she has continued writing.

As in all of Fforde's books, you've got the artsy heroine (Polly) who's set in her ways (making pottery, living frugally and celibate) but has her whole world changed when she meets a rich, but aloof man (D
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I read it over and over again. It includes three of my favorite things--A strong sassy heroine, a village in England and a truly amazing romance. I love, love love this book!
Jill Robertson
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Pure fluff, but a quick, enjoyable summer read.
The best line? When someone tells our heroine that she should live life to the full and take chances, she says something like....
'I already live dangerously. I read library books in the bath'.
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-2014
Enjoyable. A typical chic-lit. When your brain wants a quick chocolatey sugary fix, this is for you. Though its cover illustrator obviously hasn't read the book. Polly's not that skinny as in the cover.
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
An easy relaxing read. Perfect for an exhausted, wet Monday night!
Awesome book, it went totally the unexpected way, but the good way :)
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Actually not really a good book, or a good story... BUT just too good to read! Very amusing, very romantic, I enjoyed it a lot.
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After going through a number of quite serious/complicated books, it was nice to fall back on light and funny chick-lit for my book club readings. All I expect from a good romance novel is that it is entertaining, and this one certainly was that. Would something like that happen in real life? No. Should you read it? Yes, if you want to enoy some sweeping off the feet and all that jazz.

The story centers on a 35-year old spinster that is trying to make it on her own, professionally and otherwise.
Karen Mace
Normally a big fan of all things Katie Fforde, but for some reason this book just didn't leave me with any happy, fluffy feelings! Found the story to be very slow and most of the characters a little dull and flat.
Oh, how I enjoyed the book! But not because it was such a good story. But having decided to (re)read all of Katie Fforde's books from first to last, I had to begin with this one.
I started off thinking I had already read the book. Such is the way of a chick-lit, which all follow the same structure/story, but about one quarter in, realized I had not. Of course I knew how the story was going to end, but not the events that would take it there.
Here characters, especially David, felt a bit flat. He
Helena Chiara
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Just like the slogan, love will definitely find its way...

The book starts off pretty slow and quiet confusing but its not short of funny musings from a 30-something woman. Polly is witty but her stubborn feminist self gets on my nerves. No wonder there's so much on feminists. Although i agree that women should independent on this day and age but i would've liked Polly more if she understands the time and place to show that side of her. For a 30 something she's quiet childish at some parts that i
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Although I took longer to read this novel than I usually do with Katie Fforde novels, I actually really liked this book. The composition of the heroine, Polly, is really well done and although she has her issues and quirks, like most romantic heroines do, Fforde has managed to write her in a way where she doesn't become too quirky or contrived as a character. Being able to stand reading the protagonist's POV without wanting to bang your head against a desk is always a nice surprise. As for the s ...more
Gillian Berry
OKAY SO this very easily could have been a 3 or even a 4 star read until it took a hard swerve into Problematicville, very much showing its age. I've had a mountain of my mom's old Katie Fforde books for ages, and I've been meaning to read them my whole life. Yesterday the urge gripped me after twenty or so years of seeing them around. I picked Living Dangerously at random and was instantly engaged.

Fforde's writing is HILARIOUS, witty, and nimble. Her books are cozily, clunkily, old-fashionedly
The protagonist got on my nerves more often than not (okay, I get it, you're unhappy and you're fat and poor, Jesus, I felt sorry for you at first but there's only so much self-pity I can take), and her relationship (if I can call it that) with her love interest developed entirely inexplicably, with absolutely no chemistry.
Her (lack of a) sexual past was only ever discussed with her friends and inside her head, and I thought maybe the guy she's knockin' boots with should be told about it as well
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Polly Cameron is happy being single, independent and living her life the way she wants to with her cat Selina even though her well meaning friends and mother are desperate to see her married and settled down.
When she accepts a dinner invitation from her friend Melissa and meets David Rocking Hill her ideas on her life are turned upside down due to the sparkling mutual attraction between them.
Offset against a variety of Polly's escapades including her penchant for pottery, her save the buildings
I'm torn between giving this three and four stars. I did enjoy reading this book, but for me, there probably wasn't enough of the hero on the page. And when he was on the page, albeit it was from Polly's POV, I was never sure if he was "attractive" enough - he did have his moments when he was though.

I suppose this book didn't grab me like some others have, and I'm thinking about the characters even when I'm not reading it. However, it delivers the HEA ending we all want in a romance, and I did
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally a heroine I can relate to. She's a hardcore feminist, buys her clothes in charity shops, doesn't live in New York or London, has a messy house, fulfilling work, likes kids without being desperate for her own, she's comfortable with herself and won't be anything other than who she is for anyone and most important of all SHE DOESN'T NEED A MAN TO BE HAPPY. The story lags in the latter half and the ending is a bit anticlimactic but it's well worth the read for a protagonist who isn't obsess ...more
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I just loved Polly's character. She seems a very real person, with a life that many of us can relate to: working at a 'job' so she's able to afford doing what she loves.

The humor is very British, but that doesn't detract from the story, since we all know people who are just like the people in Polly's life.

The romance is warm and friendly, although David's attraction seems rather sudden. However, the supporting characters are well-drawn and likeable, and you're cheering for Polly the whole way t
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
One of Fforde's earlier books. It was a good read but the main character was another one of those annoying women who are courted by a considerate, handsome, wealthy, and very much in love man, and make trouble for themselves because they have these dumb scruples about being seen as marrying for the money, or losing their independence when it's quite clear the man has no interest in their becoming dependent on them, and of course the woman is madly in love back but... yada, yada, yada.
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
May 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
compared to erica james, this book has a more realistic take on life. the heroine of the novel is a character im sure many people can relate to. it was however a lot more raunchier than erica james. but it is a book you can curl up in bed or on the sofa with, and thats what i look for in books. it was lovely, light and really good for the first time i ahd read katie fforde. on the whole though, i would say i prefer erica james.
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Fairly typical chic-lit. Had to keep reminding me the heroine was supposed to be mid-thirties, she acted/thought more like she was in her fifties. The ending was a bit abrupt and too unrealistic. One of those stories where the author had to blatantly write what was happening because it didn't come across in the action or dialogue. Having said that, it was an enjoyable enough read, and I'm pretty sure Helen Fielding read this book before writing 'Bridget Jones'.
Feb 03, 2013 rated it did not like it

I normally love Fforde's books but this one fell flat.

The main character was boring, it lacked passion and I have to admit I got halfway through and wanted to just stop reading. The ending wasn't worth it. Honestly there are MUCH better Fforde books out there, I suggest reading one of those unless you suffer from insomnia and need a sleep aid.
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Not my favourite Katie Fforde, but this wasn't bad by any means. The characters did feel a little one-dimensional, but I was able to look passed it. One thing that did slightly annoy me was Fforde's constant reference of feminism as a trait of Poppy's which normally would be a great thing, but here it did feel like a label with no real belief behind it.

Print Teach
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, easy summer read. A traditional boy-meets-girl-they-hate-each-other-she-doesn't-realise-how-attractive-she-is-they-live-happily-ever novel. It's well written and fun: you're not going to learn anything from it, and it's not ground breaking literature - but it is a really pleasant way to spend a few hours.

** Free copy received through Goodreads giveaway **
  • Fen
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • Open House
  • Heaven Sent
  • A Spring Affair
  • Must Be Love (Talyton St George, #2)
  • All You Need is Love
  • Walking Back to Happiness
  • Lizzy Harrison Loses Control
  • Rescuing Rose
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte ...more
More about Katie Fforde...

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“No, I pay the newsagent. And for someone so pernickety about whose business is whose, you’re asking a lot of very personal questions.” 0 likes