Start by marking “The Cheater's Guide to Love” as Want to Read:
The Cheater's Guide to Love

The Cheater's Guide to Love

Faber Stories, a landmark series of individual volumes, presents masters of the short story form at work in a range of genres and styles.

You try every trick in the book to keep her. You write her letters. You drive her to work. You quote Neruda ... You try it all, but one day she will simply sit up in bed and say, No more.

In Yunior, a Dominican-American writer and Harvard
Paperback, Faber Stories, 56 pages
Published October 17th 2019 by Faber & Faber (first published July 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Cheater's Guide to Love, please sign up.
Akshat Jha The book's name is "This is How You Lose Her" which, in turn, is the last sentence of the story "Alma". There is no story titled "This is How You Lose…moreThe book's name is "This is How You Lose Her" which, in turn, is the last sentence of the story "Alma". There is no story titled "This is How You Lose Her" in the book.(less)

Start your review of The Cheater's Guide to Love
karen
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

last year, i carved out my own short story advent calendar as my project for december, and it was so much fun i decided to do it again this year! so, each day during the month of december, i will be reading a short story and doing the barest minimum of a review because ain't no one got time for that and i'm already so far behind in all the things. however, i will be posting story links in case anyone wants to read the stories themselves and show off how maybe someone
Thomas
I have never been a fan of insensitive men. I recognize my personal bias: I have always been the super sensitive one, the one who cherishes conversations about feelings and the notion of putting other people first. Though I know my personality comes with setbacks, I find it even harder to stomach characters like Yunior, the protagonist of "The Cheater's Guide to Love," who cheats on his fiance with 50 other women and perpetuates a cycle of insensitive behavior.

Junot Diaz writes him well though.
Shawn Mooney (Shawn The Book Maniac)
I’m not sure what possessed me to read anything written by this absolute creep. But what a creepy asshole of a protagonist. Couldn’t finish. Couldn’t pay me to finish.
Nadine Jones
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short, fiction
I was idling away a few minutes one night when the link to this story in the New Yorker came up in my newsfeed. I clicked on it. I read a few sentences. I read more. And more and more. I had been avoiding Diaz for a few years now because I didn't think I wanted to read about a serial cheater. But. Cheating does NOT end well in this story! So cathartic!! This was SO MUCH better than I expected. I think I finally understand all the buzz around Junot Diaz.
Julissa
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
100% latino

I loved it!
I think it was perfection from beginning to end.
Me encantó all the Spanglish.

It was raw, funny and serious all at the same time.
And this is not a cheesy story... It's not the happy ending type... It's a real story, with a hopeful ending, and that was even better.
Jenni
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Junot Diaz's prose. I always think his character Yunior is kind of a dick, but I like him anyway. "The half life of love is forever," was an amazing line/climax.
Beti
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Dammmmmmmmn.

I pick up This is How You Lose Her on and off again because I'm no good with short story collections and I'm guessing that this is the genesis of that book or that this is one of the book's core messages boiled down into one impactful, heartbreaking story.

While The Brief & Wondrous Life and TIHYLH has gorgeous, clever prose ("Knocked the architecture right out of his legs" - I mean, COME ON) this feels more plain spoken. It also lacks the arrogance and energy that Diaz's Yunior usu
Natasha Primaditta
This story were pretty heart rendering actually. A guy cheated on his girlfriend then stumble upon the fallout and labeled as problematic man for he cheated with 50 other girls. But the story gets better as he tried to set his life again when he realised that he actually lost something precious. His path to somewhat atonement was full of trials, in a way the thing he found along the way then slipped along the way too.

I think this is a good story about finding yourself again after the storm.

Samira Gharaee
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the erratic pace and the rhythm of this story. And also the cruelty of narration toward its characters is eye-catching. Never giving a moment of rest to the them and their misery. This story has no therapeutic characteristic, it's just a stream of shit happening and no one is safe, except for the ending which is a start. And I like how it ends. But I wonder why this story is written? What sort of pain or itch has directed the writer towards this story? This, I don't get.
Judy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best short stories I have read since forever...maybe since "Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger. Is it raw, salacious, and liberally sprinkled with Spanish? Yes, and although some have criticized it for these things, they are part of what makes it great. It takes you on a journey through a troubled but ultimately lovable man's broken heart, and you will never forget it.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Junot Diaz knows how to create a compelling character. He's likable despite his flaws and despite the fact that, even in the end, he dislikes himself for what he's done. The story feels very human - as if this were your friend talking to you, rather than a story you were reading.
Nidhi Srivastava
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am charmed by this author's writing style. I can't remember the last time I read such effective 2nd person voice. And it's lyrical without being distracting. Fun to read it on the kindle.

Looking forward to reading his books. I'm sure I'll hate them.
Jessie
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was okay. Didn't really leave an impression and I feel like there are other books in the faber series that are much more memorable and impressive. Nevertheless, It was nicely written and an easy read and it was interesting enough to finish.
Kelsey Hennegen
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am such a fan of Diaz's distinctive voice. This story rendered all the more daring for it's second-person tense. It is bold and rich and ambitious. I read this story a few years ago, discovered via the New Yorker, but just re-discovered and revisited it as I am playing with a piece of my own writing in second person and could use some inspiration and guidance. And I was reminded anew of just how good it is.
Lauren Marie♡
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
This was a short story about a man who cheated on his partner, big time. It wasn't until the years that followed that he realised how much he had messed up and the hole she had left in his life.

It was an interesting read, to experience this story from the serial cheater's perspective. My own personal experiences drove me to read this, and although I can't say I was all that thrilled with the ending.. I like an ending I don't expect!
The Literacy Advocate
Heartbreakingly good, this short story employs the little-used second person point of view, making the reader feel each blow as if the feelings were his own. This story is part of the larger Diaz anthology, This Is How You Lose Her.
da-yong
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
i keep reading this entire piece over and over again. i can't stop. it's absolutely haunting, and it also terrifies me. it makes me wonder how people could be so cruel as to use their loved ones as gripholds as they fumble their self-absorbed ways to self-actualization.
Sayantan Ghosh
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Eat, cheat, love: A man's guide to cheating, getting caught, separating, repenting, trying to win back the lost love, and fucking everything up in between.
Ramona Cantaragiu
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is how you write a short story! This was my first encounter with Junot Diaz and it left me craving more. Loved the second-person narrative which made it feel so personal even though I am far removed from the male-cheater experience and the usage of Dominican slang that gave the characters an added flavor. The story has so many layers that it would be unfair for me to say that it's just about a Dominican man who can't keep it in his pants, loses his fiance, and then spends his years dreaming ...more
Chrissie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Loved this book. Excellent writing. Great character development. Found it challenging and engaging.
Best
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
It was a fine and at times entertaining read, not sure there was more. Also, I'm gonna leave this box largely blank before I say something offensive about men.
Thomas Marino
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I selected “The Cheater’s Guide to Love (Diaz, 2012)” because after
reading the first couple of lines, I was completely transported into the world of Diaz.
His prose was racy, sexy, rugged, and for lack of another word – juicy. I found
myself believing him and understanding his logic. I couldn’t pry myself from the story.
Personally, I could somewhat identify with the horrid feelings associated with the
aftermath of a breakup. I could almost feel for him, despite his cheating, and as his
story u
Eva Nieves
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this short story for purposes of my English class but let me tell you it's so fantastic!! I feel like a book hangover right now with a book that was made to read for my class. And is so beautiful it always made me cry. The story begins with a guy losing her fiancé because he slept with a few (more like a lot) women in his life so she dumps him and then he starts to feel what he has lost but like a strong Latina, she doesn't want to see him again and his life evolves on how to forget her a ...more
Marco
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What an incredible, moving, at times gut wrenching story, and what a great flawed character. This is the story of a Dominican-American, a professor, that lose his great love when found cheating. This is the story of the ordeal he has to go through, to try to come to term with the loss, year after year.
And for those of you that do not speak Spanish, you may want to use this cheat sheet to understand the Dominican Spanish words used in the story: Cheater's Dominican Cheat Sheet for Junot Diaz's th
Anays
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. Definitely some scathing Latino (especially Dominican) truths here. A short story, yes - but definitely a long history of where the points of this story come from. I wish reputations like that of Yunior weren't so but Junot Diaz kept it real. I was conflicted with feelings of offense *AND* my "mhmm, yeah that's right. de verdad!" attitude. Can't knock it when you know it, right? Anyway, I enjoyed the spanglish thrown into the writing, but I can understand how it can seem less than entertain ...more
Maggie
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this because I had a recent breakup with a liar and cheater who reminded me a lot of this main character- in the beginning of the story. My own personal biases are what made this story difficult to keep reading, in addition to the main characters victim mentality. When I put it down and came back to it, it's worth the read. In addition to touching on racism, classism, and being a good friend, he story offers some good insight for the healing process of breakups too.
I. Mahmood
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
What I found most interesting about this story is the fact that it was written in the second point of view - a writing style that I have not seen very often and was quite impressed by it. The story, however, sounded a lot like a few episodes from a CW soap opera.

"The half-life of love is forever." That was a good line.
Marcella Joyner
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite pieces out of "This is How You Lose Her". Although I can relate more to the fiancée who was being cheated on, it was interesting to get a male perspective on the situation. Although it only makes me feel slightly empathetic, it is a nice reminder of how everyone is human and no one is perfect.
Shreya Singh
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's absolutely miserable and I think that's the beauty of it. Junot Diaz embraces loneliness, heartbreak, and regret in a way that is simultaneously obsessive, unhealthy and incredibly human. The only resolutions are in the halfhearted acceptance of the linearity of time and the dedication to truth as opposed to willing deception.
Kim
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
"You ask everybody you know, How long does it usually take to get over it?

There are many formulas. One year for every year you dated. Two years for every year you dated. It’s just a matter of will power: the day you decide it’s over, it’s over. You never get over it."
Goodreads Librari...: no number of pages 2 13 Apr 29, 2020 08:37PM

• The Country Funeral
  • Fairy Tales
  • Homeland
  • Daughters of Passion
Junot Díaz was born in the Dominican Republic and raised in New Jersey. He is the author of the critically acclaimed Drown; The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which won the 2008 Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award; and This Is How You Lose Her, a New York Times bestseller and National Book Award finalist. He is the recipient of a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship, PEN/Malamud ...more