Start by marking “Fen (McCabe Sisters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fen (McCabe Sisters, #2)

Fen

(McCabe Sisters #2)

Fen McCabe has only ever been in love with one man: a 19th-century sculptor called Julius Fetherstone. And as Fen starts a new job at Trust Art, dreaming of her hero and his missing masterpiece, her sisters harbour a secret hope that she might meet a living, breathing man instead.
Published November 5th 2002 by Arrow (first published May 30th 2001)

Start your review of Fen (McCabe Sisters, #2)
Eloisa
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Like a cuppa with cinnamon and honey on a cold cold cold day.
Soho_Black
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed
“How much do you know about art history?” This was not the response I was expecting when I complained to my wife that Freya North’s novel “Cat”, set in the world of the Tour de France, was annoying me by mixing fact and fiction unreliably and spoiling the reading experience for me. Fortunately, it would soon become clear that my wife was neither trying to avoid talking about the book nor being oblique.

“Fen” is the name Fenella McCabe, the middle of the three McCabe sisters, usually goes by. In “
Dark-Draco
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I really am not a fan of chick-lit, but when my sister wanted to get rid of a lot of books, I couldn't let them leave the house without being read! I was pleasently surprised by how much I liked it.

Fen McCabe is an art historian and has only ever loved one man in her life - a long dead sculpter. When she moves to London to help archive at the Tate, she hopes to find out more about him. Instead, she meets handsome, funny Matthew, just on the rebound from his latest girlfriend. And just when thing
Kirsty Darbyshire
Entertainingly frivolous. Freya North's characters are interchangable up to a point. After that point they're good but the interchangable bit could use some added variety. Maybe it's just because these aren't my usual style of book.

Sometimes I read books and think: perhaps I won't admit to this one on my website. I wonder if I could just put my thoughts onto the books page and bypass the weblog page. But there's a dishonesty in that. It'd be like sneaking the News of the World inside the Times.

Samantha
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Re-reading this I didn't enjoy it a much as I remembered. Freya North is the only chick-lit author I'll go within a mile of - and I rate her all the more highly for that as I wish I *did* enjoy more light-hearted, lightweight romance stuff. Yet Fen was one of her least satisfying - mostly because the plot and characters feel unresolved, like she didn't work them through enough. The whole threesome subplot is also just creepy! Not just because I'm a boring old prude but because none of the charac ...more
Keriann Davey
At the start of this book there was use of a word I hate & I thought that pretty much set my feelings towards the book, (please don't get me wrong I'm not a prude but I don't like those sort of words in books unless it's crime fiction) however explicit language aside, I did really enjoy this book, art is not something I am interested in but as a sub plot for this book it was really enjoyable, Fen makes some questionable decisions but this is what kept me hooked to this book, I just wanted to kno ...more
Sandy D.
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Very British chick lit/romance - I read a lot of British authors and this one (which I see was actually published in the UK, so not sold in the US - wonder how it came to the library book shop?) still had a ton of unfamiliar vocabulary. And a lot more casual sex not involving the central romance than is usual in the genre. I liked it a lot, but then got bored by the end because I just didn't care about the characters that much. Still, I'm interested in checking out other books by North.
Kay
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I got this book free from a magazine when I was around 14 or 15 but only read it when I was 16. I really enjoyed this book, as it takes you on a journey with the main character and is really insightful in to a real relationships. After reading this one I found I wanted to get more books by the same author.
Kirsty
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I did enjoy this book eventually - it took me a while to get into. I felt that the start of the book was too long winded - I like to be pulled into a book in the first chapter or so. Overall though the plot was good and the rest of the book was well written. Will probably check out the books about the other sisters.
Karen
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was pretty sure I'd read this before but thought there must be a reason why I'd kept it rather than consign to the charity shop. There wasn't. Unless, at the time, I had a predilection for non-stop gratuitous innuendo or cod art history. I must've got awfully old and boring in the interim......
Tasneem
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked Fen. North is a good writer and her characters come across as real people. I loved the three sisters, their uncle and their way of connecting and being. There's real affection in the writing for the characters and that comes across well. I loved Fen's inability to choose between her two lovers, the way she was dedicated to her calling and the final result with the stature.
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Freya North book I've read and I'm not sure yet whether I want to read any others. On the one hand, I wanted to continue reading to find out what happened, but on the other I found myself skimming quite a few pages and trying to rush to the end. I enjoyed it overall but felt it needed better editing.
Bethany
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
It started off well and I found it really entertaining and easy to read, but I felt the book dragged on a bit longer than it ought to and the ending was just neither here nor there. I expected a lot more to happen and when it didn't happen and nothing else either - it kind of disappointed. However it was a fun read and wasn't a chore in any way!
Nicole van der Elst
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
All in all an okay read. Didn't expect that the book would be that sexual explicit at times. The downside for me was that I found the plot quite surreal. And it annoyed me that the narrator is adressing the reader sometimes, not neccessary!
K.h.k
Jan 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it
I say that I 'read' this book but actually I got to the last chapter and just... couldn't... keep... reading. Why did I inflict this contrived drivel upon myself? Get thee behind me Satan! Will I never learn!?
Bev Taylor
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
one to just lose yourself in

also if u have read any of her books u will immediately fall in with cat and pip again. also everyone should have an uncle like theirs!

just found that the link between her 2 boyfriends - or buses - was a bit far fecthed

small point

bev
Claire
Nov 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I got this free with a magazine & was the first I had read by this author. I didn't know who Fen would end up with & was left guessing all the way through. ...more
Jirinka (sony08)
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This was ok...I didn't like the language and it made it quite hard to get into this book, but the story was nice and it was a light read.

6/10
Rachel
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing

A good read generally. Some nice scenes in the countryside and art world and a rounded ending.
✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love Fen & Matt!!!!!! Just adorable! ...more
Joanne Rawson
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A delightful story, light-hearted and most enjoyable. All characters are amusing in their own way.
Looking forward to my next Freya North book.
CLM
May 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Abysmal but I finished it so I could donate to the library tomorrow.
Arwen Fowler-jonsson
Another great summer read!!
Violet Gregory
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fen is my favourite of the three McCabe girls, and I especially liked the way this book dealt with the dilemma of loving two men at once ... shame the resolution ended up being so conventional.
Kelly Ibbotson
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favourite Freya North book the first one I read!
David Lindley
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Girly (the ending is happy) view of relationships, love and sex (bloke version would be sex, sex and sex?) grafted around an art based story.
Mariana
Good mindless read. Disappointed that there are no Featherstones. Half expected them to be real after reading Cat and Pip and learning more about the Tour and clowning.
Karen
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Could not get into this book at all, it was awful.
Stuck to my own rule where I never give up on a book until I have read 50 pages but unfortunately I couldn't go any further.
Nicole Turner
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, I couldn't predict the ending and it was amazing!
Laura White
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
From one of my favourite series, however, at times I found this one quite hard going and frustrating.

• Sepulchre (Languedoc, #2)
  • Citadel (Languedoc, #3)
  • Labyrinth (Languedoc, #1)
  • Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby
  • Never Look Back
  • No Place to Hide
  • Belle (Belle, #1)
  • Glamour
  • Johnny Be Good (Johnny Be Good, #1)
  • Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
  • Lies Lies Lies
Freya North is the author of many bestselling novels which have been translated into numerous languages. She was born in London but lives in rural Hertfordshire, where she writes from a stable in her back garden. A passionate reader since childhood, Freya was originally inspired by Mary Wesley, Rose Tremain and Barbara Trapido: fiction with strong and original characters. To hear about events, com ...more

McCabe Sisters (4 books)
  • Cat (McCabe Sisters, #1)
  • Pip (McCabe Sisters, #3)
  • Home Truths

News & Interviews

“Tell me that you refuse to allow me to be so stupid. Tell me that you will not tolerate this relationship being over just when it was on the verge of really taking off.” 28 likes