Start by marking “Polly” as Want to Read:
Polly

Polly

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  769 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Polly Fenton loves her teaching job in London, and she’s mad about Max Fyfield. But she’s leaving both behind to teach for a year in Vermont, and the minute Polly’s feet touch down Stateside, she’s swept off them altogether. Spanning three terms and two countries, this is a sassy story of New England and Old England, fidelity and flirtation – and making amends.
Published June 25th 2002 by Arrow (first published November 18th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Polly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polly

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierMacbeth by William ShakespeareHamlet by William ShakespeareDracula by Bram StokerEmma by Jane Austen
One Name as a Title
490 books — 154 voters
The Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisPollyanna by Eleanor H. PorterNewton & Polly by Jody HedlundLike a River by Kathy Cannon WiechmanPolly uit De Koperen Ketel by Miep van Duijsen-Stomps
"Polly"
61 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannie
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Polly vertrekt voor een jaar naar de VS vanwege een uitwisselingsproject. Dat jaar heeft een effect op haar relatie met Max, onder andere door een stomme fout die ze maakt. Hier wordt ze uiteindelijk voor gestraft. Hoewel het voor een groot deel toch haar eigen schuld is, bleef ik toch met haar meeleven en wilde ik dat het toch weer goed kwam. Het einde van het boek vind ik wat langdradig, vandaar dat ik het boek in zijn totaliteit maar twee sterren heb gegeven. Ik heb betere boeken van Freya No ...more
Ilse
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Ik las dit boek met niet al te hoge verwachtingen. freya North schreef voor mij al een paar toppertjes, maar ook een paar floppers.
Deze hoort voor mij ergens er tussenin.
Ik hield absoluut niet van de vertelwijze in dit boek. Het springt van het ene op het andere, zijn soms gedachten van Polly, soms van de verteller soms nog van iemand anders. verwarrend dus
Rosie Review
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-read
Taken from my blog: www.rosierevie.wordpress.com where you'll find other reviews

Polly is one of my favorite Freya North novels. It isn’t traditional chick lit and tells quite a different story to the usual boy meets girl. I wouldn’t mind to be a teacher, just so I could do a job swap with someone in another country – especially America! Polly is already in a relationship from the start of the book, which is unusual as normally the leading lady is single and the book is about how she finds her ma
Josephine Barly
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was one of Freya North's disappointments. But that's the problem when you get other great titles (like Pip or Fen).
Although I could understand Polly's problems, it was still hard to relate to her as she made certain decisions that I find morally wrong. It was hard for me to like her, and the problem is, what keeps you reading the book when you don't like the main character, the one you're supposed to root for, the one you're meant to want to be succesful by the end?
I thought the book was
Sandy Millin
I found the premise behind this book intriguing: a teacher doing a kind of exchange to America. Unfortunately, I found the reality to it pretty annoying, especially the constant 'discussions' between the narrator and Polly, and the references to how many chapters were left. I know it's fiction, but I wanted a bit of escapism, and instead I was constantly reminded I was reading a book, especially towards the end.
The teaching side of it also frustrated me: only a very irresponsible teacher or scho
Jo
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A frisky light read, which was just perfect for a mid-January peppered with illness, hospital visits and a minor op. It cheered me up no end and gave me hope for a future filled with possible travels and adventures never before dreamed of.

Freya North's easy writing style gallops along and is a joy to read. Her characters leap off the page and are a pleasure to spend time with. Max is every girl's perfect hero.
Dominique Schoon Krog
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Although I'm a big Freya North fan, this was my least favourite of her books. The narration confused and annoyed me a bit, and felt a bit neither here nor there. Agreeing with a previous reviewer, the fact that Polly is confused that a year apart from her boyfriend might rock the boat a bit, is too far fetched. Maybe if we knew more about them pre- America. Anyways, fine for a couple of hours holiday read, but don't expect more.
Dennis
May 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: frothy cheerful romance fans
Not really my cup of tea but entertaining in its fashion. Usually there aren't such heavy sex scenes in books of this sort (the frothy romance) but there was a hot one here in a swimming pool so it wasn't a complete waste of time! Can't really complain, though, it was what it was and it could have been a lot worse.
Colette Flaherty
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Easy enough read, but found I just couldn't be all that bothered about the characters.

Kinda wish they all got their comeuppance. Suppose they two main characters deserved each other. Don't know, maybe it's just that I don't like people cheating on each other, but just get into this book.
Kezza22
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads

It was an on read but not one of her best... Found the writing style odd and I did find it hard to get really into the characters... I also found the whole cheating in the one you love kinda difficult to read and maybe that's what put me off the book
Jo
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Usual chick lit but written in a different way with you being narrated to through some of it ... things like you only have 8 chapters left and they seem to be so far apart!

Enjoyed it and made me smile!
Sonia Jaidev
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I got myself Pip, Polly, Fen and Cat, and for no particular reason picked Polly first. From what I read, this is not one of her best. Was a quick read, but nothing that makes your toes curl.
Vivelavie
great plot, addictive writing style. will definitely read freya north again.
Claire
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
An OK chick lit with lots of heavy sex scenes which has it bordering in the erotica catergory. Much preferred Fen by Freya North.
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Put a different perspective on relationships. I definately couldn't live with an affair. Enjoyed the New England setting.
Kate
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute quirky love story.

Deeper than it seems on the surface. This is a story of what happens when we take our partners for granted. I liked it.
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brilliant book only took me 3 days to read
Claudia
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very poor
Robin Hall
Jul 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
rubbish rubbish rubbish. one of those books that makes me wish I didn't have a compilation to finish everything I start reading....
Amanda
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: buy-on-kindle
Not her best. Polly was distinctly unlikeable for me, which made it incredibly hard to root for her.
Wilson2801
Oct 20, 2012
  • Folly
  • Wives V. Girlfriends
  • Summer of Secrets
  • Four Play (Lodes Chronicles, #3)
  • Tell Me Something
  • Bloodstone (Rebel Angels, #2)
  • Lashings of Sauce
  • Just Like In the Movies
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Croissants and Jam
  • Bomber's Moon (Under the Hill #1)
  • Stroke to His Cox
  • Tangled Web
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • Orchard Valley
  • Transgressions
Freya North is the author of many bestselling novels which have been translated into numerous languages. She was born in London but lives in rural Hertfordshire, where she writes from a stable in her back garden. A passionate reader since childhood, Freya was originally inspired by Mary Wesley, Rose Tremain and Barbara Trapido: fiction with strong and original characters. To hear about events, com ...more
More about Freya North

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Whisper Beach
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In Love & Trouble: Stories of Black Women
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel