Start by marking “Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)

Gravemaidens

(Gravemaidens #1)

The start of a fierce fantasy duology about three maidens who are chosen for their land's greatest honor...and one girl determined to save her sister from the grave.

In the walled city-state of Alu, Kammani wants nothing more than to become the accomplished healer her father used to be before her family was cast out of their privileged life in shame.

When Alu's ruler falls
Expected publication: October 29th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Gravemaidens, please sign up.
Kelly Coon We're at two for sure right now via contract, but....we cannot completely rule out more. It depends on interest!

Sarah Glenn Marsh
Official comments: A dark and utterly enthralling journey to an ancient land, Gravemaidens grabs you by your beating heart and refuses to let go until the bitter, breathtaking end.

Unofficial comments: FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! I loved the cast of Gravemaidens so much, I'm not even sure who I ship! PLEASE JUST READ IT SO YOU CAN FANGIRL WITH ME!
Michael Coon
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gravemaidens is beautifully written with compelling characters and an ending that leaves you wanting to read more and more. Kelly Coon has artfully crafted one of the most exciting novels to hit the young adult market and you won’t regret the choice to join Kammani and her fight against injustice.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
This cover is lovely <3
---
I feel like this sounds similar to mangas/manhwas I've read and that has me interested.
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

This is, I think, the earliest ARC I’ve ever read – it doesn’t come out for almost a whole year! This was a solid debut novel with writing that flowed well (though there were some flies in the ointment.)

I’ve been giving out a lot of 4-star ratings lately, which is not like me at all – I’m a fairly harsh reviewer! But I’m lucky to have read so many amazing books over the last month.

Sixteen-year-old Kammani is the daughter of the only H
Gita Trelease
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like your historical fantasy thrilling and fast-paced? Set in a time period you’ve been dying to immerse yourself in? Full of compelling characters, including sinister villains and a strong heroine? If so, read on!

GRAVEMAIDENS tells the story of Kammani, a healer’s apprentice, who must use what skills and medicines she has to stop the king from dying—and taking her little sister into the grave with him. But when intrigue at the palace turns deadly, it will take all Kammani’s strength, smarts, a
Rory Power
history! sensory detail! a healer main character who is Real Good at her job and takes no crap from anyone
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
This sounds like something I have never read before. *Adds to to-read shelf*
Lillian Clark
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beware the Boatman.

Whew! I've just finished an early copy of Kelly Coon's captivating debut, and I'm still reeling from the final chapters! GRAVEMAIDENS is filled with such sumptuous prose and atmospheric world-building that it sucked me in from the first few pages, then it gave me a rich cast of characters and twisty, suspenseful plot to keep me there. If you love heady, enthralling historical fantasy, you need to add Coon's debut to your tbr pile now. (Do it.)
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Excuse me, was this book written with my interests in mind?! This sounds like an interesting tale of love and sacrifice inspired by practices of Ancient Egypt, which I am here for. Excited to dive into this world!

I am so excited that Gravemaidens will be one of the Reader Voracious Novel19 Books! More information about this book and the rest of my Novel19 class will be posted on my blog in mid-January!

Blog | Twitter | Pinterest!
Tony Pullaro
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of reading a pre-release copy of this novel and I absolutely loved it! The story was written in a way that was so real to modern life, even though it's set long ago. Although Kammani is the compelling star of the book, I especially love her best friend Iltani who uses her free spirit and amazing comedic timing to support Kammani when she needs it most. I highly recommend this novel!
Kacy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to receive an advanced copy of this book, and I'm so glad I got to read it. The story concerns the fate of Lugal Marus, the ruler of the city-state, and the women chosen to be his Sacred Maidens if he dies. Sacred Maidens accompany dead rulers to the underworld; they must give up their lives to honor the life of their ruler. When Kammani the Healer's sister Nanaea is chosen for this "honor," Kammani feels compelled to save a sister that doesn't want to be rescued.

I enjoyed the b
Emily
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy guacamole. I had the honor of reading Gravemaidens early and WOW. I was hooked from the very first page and instantly fell in love with all of the characters-well maybe not alllll of them. It was a constant struggle with not wanting to put the book down, but wanting to read slower so it wasn't over! I was even reading at work, oops don't tell my boss. This is the first book I've read that took place so long ago and I was extremely impressed with how it was written. Highly recommended!!!!!
Luna✮MyOwnBookAdventures✮
Aw.. where did the cover go?
That cover 😻😻😻
Heather Christie
I had the good fortune to be an early reader of Kelly Coon's GRAVEMAIDENS. This novel created a flurry of interest in elite publishing circles before Delacourte/Penguin Random House secured the rights. After my first read, I understand why.

Coon creates a world lush with sensory details transporting the reader to another time and place. You can taste the savory food, smell the flowers in the royal gardens, and touch the fine linens and beautiful jewelry. The descriptions are lavish and skillfull
Sarah Ellis
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just had the pleasure of finishing Kelly Coon's debut book Gravemaidens. It is a story of strength, courage, and loyalty... but with a sprinkling of self exploration throughout the well crafted story. Kelly's book is captivating and has left me looking forward to more!
Jodie Lynn Zdrok
Inspired by ancient Sumer, Kelly Coon's GRAVEMAIDENS is an alluring invitation to a culture far removed from our own time and place, with compelling relationships, a dash of mystery, and much more than a dash of palace intrigue.

Coon's storytelling is seamless. Clean prose, spot-on pacing, and lush historical detail make for an immersive reading experience, and Coon's diligent research infuses the story throughout (one scene--you'll know it when you encounter it--is memorably jarring and gut-wre
Heather
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to read GRAVEMAIDENS in advance of publication, and Kelly Coon weaved an intriguing mystery, combining vibrant imagination with history. The setting was richly described, the characters were full of emotion and purpose, and the mystery built to an intense climax, with far-reaching consequences. (I cannot wait for book 2!)

The main character, Kammani knew what she wanted, determined and capable in her role as a Healer, and also in her role as a sister. But no matter her inner st
Gabrielle Byrne
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelly Coon’s GRAVEMAIDENS has strong characters and relationships that reminded me of the Hunger Games, but within the epic scope of the ancient world. Kammani is a savvy heroine who knows there’s more to the “honor” of being a gravemaiden than the aristocracy want to acknowledge. Strong-willed and versed in the medical training of her father, Kammani infiltrates the palace and risks her life to try and save her sister in this fast-paced and richly sensory story. GRAVEMAIDENS is full of danger a ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
"In a city-state where girls are selected to join fallen kings as Sacred Maidens in the Netherworld—a dark tradition that is seen as an honor but is, in actuality, a death sentence—a healer's apprentice is determined to save her sister from this fate."
Tiana
The pacing, setting, characterizations, romance, mystery — it was all spot on. I loved every second of it. Kammani was smart, loyal, and all that I could want in a main character. Dagan was my favorite and I hope we get to see a lot more of him in book two!
Neha Thakkar
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I fully started this expecting to DNF it. I woke up late on Monday because I could not put it down (and stayed up a bit too late). I finished it last night, and now want to read it again to see if I can see more clues to the ending. Great writing, enjoyed the voice of Kammani and the way each chapter starts where it almost seems like an out of body experience but then brings you back to the character. Loved this one!
✩⋆ Victoria ⋆✩
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as to-be-released  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, fantasy, ya, debut
UPDATE #1

2/2/19- OMG that cover is so beautiful *inserts heart eye emojis*
Lori Leverence
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love historical YA fiction, do not miss Kelly Coon’s debut novel, GRAVEMAIDENS!! The well-developed characters and ancient Sumerian setting created by Coon sucked me into a rollercoaster of highs and lows on a ride that didn’t stop twisting and turning until the very end. Find something sturdy to grip onto because the main character, Kammani, will have you biting your nails throughout her whole journey, as she desperately tries to save her sister from an untimely fate. Oh, and grab some t ...more
Michele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claire Bartlett
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a setting and story <3 GRAVEMAIDENS follows Kammani, a healer who's trying to keep her family together following the death of her mother and infant brother. But when death strikes again, this time in the royal palace, her world comes undone once more as her sister is chosen to be a Gravemaiden and follow their king into the afterlife.

I so feel for Kammani. And the Boatman - so creepy and perfectly utilized. You all DEFINITELY need to read this.
Calvin
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of reading this novel early, as did the other reviewers. It is a wonderful feeling to be the among the first to see something important - art that will move people. As a teacher of English and reading for 23 years, I have read a LOT of YA fiction, and Gravemaidens transcends many aspects of that genre.

It has a weight of history and scholarship that colors the narrative but is also gloriously sensitive to its young characters in a way that only an author who has spent time wi
Jodi Howell
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be able to read an advanced copy of Gravemaidens and, let me tell you, it was wonderful! From the beginning I was captivated by the characters and the way the story was told. Kelly wrote a book that keeps you reading from start to finish and wishing the book was longer. I am looking forward to re-reading this book when it comes out and am excited to know there is a sequel so our time with these characters is not yet over!
Sarah Carlson
Jul 31, 2018
Melissa Taylor
Apr 09, 2018
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl

YA author Kelly Coon (GRAVEMAIDENS, Oct. 29 2019 Delacorte Press) is an editor for Blue Ocean Brain, a member of the Washington Post Talent Network, a former high school English teacher, ACT test prep book author, and a wicked karaoke singer in training. She adores giving female characters the chance to flex their muscles and use their brains, and wishes every story got the happy ending she's livi

Gravemaidens (2 books)
  • Untitled (Gravemaidens, #2)