Start by marking “Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)

Gravemaidens

(Gravemaidens #1)

The start of a fierce fantasy duology about three maidens who are chosen for their land's greatest honor...and one girl determined to save her sister from the grave.

In the walled city-state of Alu, Kammani wants nothing more than to become the accomplished healer her father used to be before her family was cast out of their privileged life in shame.

When Alu's ruler falls

Win a Copy of This Book

• Gravemaidens by Kelly Coon
    Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)

Release date: Oct 29, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of 25 hardcover copies of GRAVEMAIDENS by Kelly Coon, the first of a YA fantasy duology.

“A dark, delectable, and utterl

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 2454 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 26 - Nov 09, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Gravemaidens, please sign up.
    Kelly Coon We're at two for sure right now via contract, but....we cannot completely rule out more. It depends on interest!
    ~Reading Rambler~ Yes, there is a romantic relationship in this book. She doesn't really have time to dwell on her feelings too much though.
    There are mentions of pleas…more
    There are mentions of pleasure women, which doesn't go into detail at all.
    There is some innuendo from some of the creepy men from court.
    There is a scene, nearer to the end, after she gets captured where a man cuts off her robe and gropes her "whole body" and forces her to kiss him before someone finally stops him.

I hope thIs helps!(less)
    We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWicked Saints by Emily A. DuncanThe Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn HermanWicked Fox by Kat Cho
    YA Debuts 2019
    156 books — 997 voters
    The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
    YA Novels of 2019
    875 books — 3,006 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
    megs_bookrack
    Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs-read
    In the fantastical city of Alu, when the Ruler dies, three maidens are chosen to accompany him into the Underworld. This tradition is deeply ingrained within the society.

Essentially a death sentence for the young women, being chosen is nonetheless viewed as a great honor. When our story begins, the current Ruler lies on the brink of death.

Kammani's Father is a great healer. Although previously disgraced after a royal patient's death, he gets summoned to the kingdom to attend to the sickly Ruler.
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    Wow! There were some evil bastards in this book with some graphic violence! But all is well my peeps, you can skim over those little portions! I, myself would like to set fire to those evil beings but that is neither here nor there.

I love this freaking book and can we take a moment to love that cover?! I can't wait to have the finished copy in my hands! Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......

At times you do want to smack some people, including the main character, but that happens.

Kammani is the MC
    Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

So, at first I was like 😍, but then I was like 😏, and then I was like 😐, but then I was like 😶, with a little bit of 🙄, and when I went to write my review I was like 🙃. Basically, the evolution of my disappointment with GRAVEMAIDENS. It promised me something dark and dangerous, and ended up being just another book in the long litany of the Basic Girl Fantasy™ canon.

**contains very mild spoilers**

GRAVEMAIDENS is set in a world that seems
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5 rounded definitely up to four, are you all set to teleport yourself into a fairy tale meets fantasy meets historical romantic journey, if you nod passionately, stop staring with your mouth open and join this amazing j voyage because you feel hooked from the first pages and you don’t want to put it down stars!

Raise your hands to clap because there is a new author in the literature town and we should welcome Kelly Coon with open arms. Because we need good minds, creative genius brains and we
    Cristina Monica
    3.5 stars.

This is the kind of commercial fantasy that you read, enjoy and then completely forget about. But I guess in this particular case I’m not allowed to forget about it because there will be a second and final book that will wrap up the story and decide Kammani’s fate once and for all.

To be honest, this book made me hate the concept of duologies. In some cases—rare cases—they work well and actually help deliver a good story without making the reader feel as though the entire book was cut i
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: from-publisher
    All US and International pre-orders can submit proof of purchase HERE to receive a special package including enamel pin, bookmark, laptop sticker, signed bookplate, and exclusive deleted scene.

I think my 3 stars are more a case of "it's not the book, it's me". I've read SO many YA fantasies touting unique ideas that promise a different sort of heroine, and unfortunately I've just read too many of these stories with the same basic girl dropped into a new setting. I think there are so many readers
    Sarah Glenn Marsh
    Official comments: A dark and utterly enthralling journey to an ancient land, Gravemaidens grabs you by your beating heart and refuses to let go until the bitter, breathtaking end.

Unofficial comments: FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! I loved the cast of Gravemaidens so much, I'm not even sure who I ship! PLEASE JUST READ IT SO YOU CAN FANGIRL WITH ME!
    Amanda
    Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Gravemaidens Bookstagram Photo.png

Gravemaidens went on my wish list the second that I saw its cover. I had my fingers crossed hoping that I could get an advanced review copy. When I did I had the hardest time waiting until closer to publication to actually read it. After many of my most anticipated releases of the second half of 2019 wound up disappointing me I was so pleased when Gravemaidens turned out to be an incredible read. I am so grateful to be on
    Renaissance Kate
    Within the first few hours of finishing this book, I probably changed my rating at least five times. While I got through Gravemaidens very quickly and truly did enjoy certain elements, there were other aspects I found incredibly frustrating that caused me to set down my Kindle and roll my eyes in desperation. My actual rating is probably closer to 2.75 stars, but I’m rounding up to 3 stars for Goodread’s sake.

(Light spoilers ahead. I’ve also included a content warning at the end of the review, a
    Candace Robinson
    This one was a bit of a slow read and sometimes that works but it made it hard for me to connect to the plot. I think my main frustration was how the MC was to the love interest. Like not sure if there just should have been no romance? Anyway, the cover is seriously beautiful and so is that title!
    Gita Trelease
    May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Like your historical fantasy thrilling and fast-paced? Set in a time period you’ve been dying to immerse yourself in? Full of compelling characters, including sinister villains and a strong heroine? If so, read on!

GRAVEMAIDENS tells the story of Kammani, a healer’s apprentice, who must use what skills and medicines she has to stop the king from dying—and taking her little sister into the grave with him. But when intrigue at the palace turns deadly, it will take all Kammani’s strength, smarts, a
    Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
    Apr 24, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy
    This cover is ugly....

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
    Vicky Again
    Jun 05, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I'M GOING TO START THIS SOON AND I AM SO READY AHH

pretty covers are my weakness
    so are powerful women
    anD MOTHS

exciement levels: through the roof

Thank you so much to Random House and Netgalley for the digital review copy in exchange for an honest review!
    Jypsy
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Thank you NetGalley for an advanced copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

Gravemaidens
    By: Kelly Coon

*REVIEW* 💖💖💖💖
    I started reading Gravemaidens on a whim and couldn't put it down. It's just one of those stories that captivated me with its premise and writing. The main character, I'll abbreviate K., is in a terrible situation. Save the ruler, save her sister, develop feelings for a good friend-all at once. It's a mystery wrapped with some romance, some violen
    Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
    This book was not for me.

It took me so long to reach page 200 and I never got around to sympathizing with the main character’s goal to save her sister (I did not like the sister to begin with) and she’s supposed to be great at healing but she ends up not being that great... this confused me.

Sigh, was so excited for this one but it disappointed me. :(
    ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
    O.W.L.s 2020 Readathon - Prompt: Charms

This didn't quite deliver what I was expecting it to. I did like it over all, but it wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped it would be. Still it gets a solid 3 stars and I'm eager to see where things go in the next book.

Originally I'd thought this looked like one of last year's most promising new releases and couldn't wait to read it. Some debuts just blow your mind and others, quite frankly, show their debut-ness. This one, unfortunately, fell into the latt
    The Nerd Daily
    Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

The book that I’m getting ready to talk about explores the bond of sisterhood, and how one young woman will do everything in her power to save her beloved sister from a tradition that is drenched in beauty and death. Readers will also be treated to the power struggle between genders, and the strength that women have to overcome their struggles in a heavily misogynistic society. There’s so much to love about this story, the feroc
    Michael Coon
    Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Gravemaidens is beautifully written with compelling characters and an ending that leaves you wanting to read more and more. Kelly Coon has artfully crafted one of the most exciting novels to hit the young adult market and you won’t regret the choice to join Kammani and her fight against injustice.
    Marie
    Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
    **A free copy was given to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. **

This is the kind of book that would have been amazing, if not for a few reasons.

1. The female lead was veeeery frustrating.

Kammani is one stressed character. She’s the kind that will try to lift the world on her shoulders... ALONE. Sometimes, that’s a good thing but in this case, it was not. All it did was lead her into stupid decisions. It’s one thing to be brave but it’s anothe
    Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
    Gravemaidens was such a pleasant surprise for me.  I loved the cover and knew it sounded good, but I still worried a bit.

I think what thrilled me the most about this book is that there was a big mystery.  The world building was easy to follow and I had no problems remembering the characters.

I'm going to start with the warnings because there are some heavy topics in this book.  I'm sorry if I miss any.  Death, murder, torture/abuse/beatings/whippings, mention of suicide, young girls being sac
    Celia McMahon
    Thanks to Netgalley for the chance to review this title.

Well, this was a big fat NOPE.

Ok so, the story was unique. Three girls are chosen as maidens for their ruler. In this case, the ruler is dying. Therefore, the three girls will die with him, which is a huge honor apparently. Healer Kammani's sister is chosen, and Nanaea is all gung ho about it. But sister is like, nah, you aren't dying today, sis, and takes her father's place as a healer to keep the ruler from dying, thus saving her sister.
    Cindy ✩☽♔
    This cover is lovely <3
    ---
    I feel like this sounds similar to mangas/manhwas I've read and that has me interested.
    Kal ★ Reader Voracious

Thank you, Delacorte Press, for sending my an ARC of Gravemaidens for review!
    🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋
    Holy hell, this book. THIS BOOK. What a beautiful story about love and sacrifice. I laughed, I cried. Sometimes at the same time. This was the best book to buddy read because it features such an iconic ride or die friendship, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this with Haley & Ruby. You can read some of our thoughts in this twitter thread as we read the book.
    "It was a tradition almost every
    Alaina
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Gravemaidens definitely started off with a bang..but like small one. It sucked me in and kind of reminded me of Hunger Games a bit. Mostly because of the whole saving her younger sister from being sacrificed. Again, this was definitely a page turner in my opinion because HG was a bit boring to me (the first 500 times I tried to read the first book).

In it, you will meet Kammani, Dagan, and Iltani. There are a bunch of other
    ♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
    This sounds like something I have never read before. *Adds to to-read shelf*
    Sentranced Jem
    Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arc-2019
    Look at that cover! Isn’t it pretty?
    Unfortunately for me, that was it for me..I’ve gone though a yoyo of emotions reading this book. Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t love Gravemaidens as much as I thought I would.
    Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
    Book – Gravemaidens
    Author – Kelly Coon
    Series – Gravemaidens
    Cliffhanger? - Yes
    Publication Date – October 29, 2019
    Genre – YA Fantasy
    Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

Well, let’s start with the characters – Kammani, Dagan, Nanaea, and Iltani – these are the major characters of the story and my feelings for each one differs GREATLY!

Iltani – I loved her – absolutely she is my favorite
    Jackie
    May 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019-reads, arcs, fantasy
    This is a book that is painfully slow and while it speaks to an interesting premise it offers nothing new to a story we’ve read before.

“Gravemaidens” follows a family cast out of their wealthy society who have suffered loss after loss when the ceremony for the Sacred Maidens, three young women who will accompany the Lugal in death, threatens to take the only sister Kammani has left. Determined to keep her sister alive, she heads off to the palace ready to heal the Lugal by any means necessary b
    Angela Staudt
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The first half of GraveMaidens is quite slow, so slow in fact that my hopes started to dwindle that this would be a good book. Not to mention the main character made me want to pull my hair out, and her sister made me want to scream with how selfish she was. So, not a good start. The second half completely blew me away. I learned more about Kammani’s family and their past, and the story really started to pick up. I really enjoyed
    Jonah ❤️LIBROCUBICULARIST❤️

Maidens fair
    I'll hide their souls within my lair

For the river is wide
    I take their souls to earn my keep

This is a great debut novel by the author! And the C O V E R... It's so enticing, beautiful and an open invitation on my book shelf!

After reading the first Chapter, I know I am i

• Nameless Queen
    • The Memory Thief
    • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
    • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
    • The Princess Will Save You (Kingdoms of Sand and Sky, #1)
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • A Treason of Thorns
    • The Crow Rider (The Storm Crow, #2)
    • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
    • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
    • Batman: Nightwalker
    • Seasons of the Storm (Seasons of the Storm, #1)
    • The Bone Garden
    • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
    • Reputation
    • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
    • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
    • Fable (Fable, #1)

YA author Kelly Coon (GRAVEMAIDENS, Oct. 29 2019 Delacorte Press, WARMAIDENS, Dec. 15, 2020) is an editor for Blue Ocean Brain, a member of the Washington Post Talent Network, a former high school English teacher, ACT test prep book author, and a wicked karaoke singer in training. She adores giving female characters the chance to flex their muscles and use their brains, and lives near Tampa with h

Gravemaidens (2 books)
    • Warmaidens (Gravemaidens, #2)