Start by marking “The Bookshop on the Shore” as Want to Read:
The Bookshop on the Shore

The Bookshop on the Shore

(Scottish Bookshop #2)

Escape to the Scottish Highlands where a tiny bookshop perches on the edge of a loch

Zoe is a single mother, sinking beneath the waves trying to cope by herself in London. Hari, her gorgeous little boy is perfect in every way - except for the fact that he just doesn't speak, at all. When her landlord raises the rent on her flat, Zoe doesn't know where to turn.

Then Hari's aun

Published June 13th 2019 by Sphere (first published June 4th 2019)

Karen Whittard
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny colgan books are always like a massive hug in book form. The kind of hug that you desperately need and when you get that hug everything is made that little bit better and that little bit more brighter. I absolutely loved this amazing book.
Erin
Goodreads giveaway win!

This book just wasn't for me. Jenny Colgan is a very popular author so if you love her books I'm sure you'll love this one too.
The Bookshop on the Shore did nothing for me. This book is over 400 pages and I could have gotten the same story in 130 pages. Nothing happens in this book, I'm sure if I really searched I could find the plot but I just don't care enough to look for it. All the characters were either boring or annoying. I didn't care about anything tha
Lisa
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bookstores
The title with the word bookshop drew me to this novel, but it is not about a bookshop. (A bookmobile plays a fairly minor role here) It turned out to be a decent comfort read.
Jessaka
I am a sucker for a book that says “The Bookshop... " After all, bookshops are were us readers love to spen our time, and I have been in quite a few in my life, loving the old used bookstores best. Forget Barnes & Noble and other modern stores; I like quaint.

Well, this book was supposed to be about a bookshop on the shore. Very little time is spent in the bookshop, and I have no idea what the shore has to do with this book.

The audio book was narrated by a British woma
Linden
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zoe’s a single mom with no money living in London. Her son’s father never seems to have money to help, so when she gets a job offer in Scotland as a nanny and a bookseller, she takes 4 year old Hari, who has never spoken, to the remote Scottish village. Much to her chagrin, she learns that the children have gone through at least 6 nannies in the recent past, and are determined to be rid of the 7th as soon as they can. Jenny Colgan is a great storyteller, and I enjoyed reading about Zoe’s adventu ...more
Darinda
Zoe is a single mother living in London. She is struggling to make ends meet, and wants a better life for her and her son, Hari. With some help from Surinder, Hari's father's sister, Zoe gets an opportunity in the Scottish Highlands. Zoe will work as a nanny for a single father of three and will run Nina's bookmobile while Nina is on bedrest during her pregnancy.

Some familiar faces from The Bookshop on the Corner - Nina, Surinder, and Lennox - are in this book, but this is very much Zoe's
Amy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Do you ever just completely forget to post a review? Because SAME. I read this over my vacation back in early July and thought it was adorable and I just now realized I never shared my thoughts 😳 This was charming, sweet and cozy with a fantastic setting and a cast of quirky supporting characters. My first Jenny Colgan book but definitely not my last, I can see myself turning to one of her books when I want something comforting and light.
Maureen
There was apparently a serious lack of proofreading before this book went to press. Starting in chapter 2 and continuing on steadily throughout there were extra words in sentences and other errors (even use of the wrong character’s name) that disrupted the flow of this lovely book. A book so heavily advertised should have at least had a read through! I have never seen so many errors in published writing.

That being said, I really enjoyed the characters and storyline of this book even
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For my full review, visit me here at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

When I saw this book approaching my hands, ready to be devoured, I was so excited. I have had many positive experiences reading a Jenny Colgan novel, and this was no exception. I loved this book on many levels and I could not put it down. In fact, I am a little sad that it is now finished!

For my full review, visit me here at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Carla Johnson-Hicks
4.5 Stars. This book totally surprised me. I went into this one thinking it was a cute summer romance with a ditsy woman who loved books, boy was I wrong. Jenny Colgan has introduced us to a family in chaos. Zoe packs up and heads to Scotland with her four year old son Hari, from busy London to become a nanny for a family with three children. What she did not expect were the issues this family has and still is dealing with. She also works part-time driving the local bookmobile when the owner is ...more
Kate ☀️ Olson
(free review copy) Dare I say.....my new favorite Jenny Colgan? I have yet to meet a world of hers that hasn’t utterly enchanted me and this return to Loch Ness and the traveling book shop utterly enchanted me.
Kathryn
OMG I loved this book, I just was so annoyed when it ended, the best kind of annoyed though. I have read this every spare minute I had, I love this kind of book magic that draws me into a story. It often surprised a laugh out of me. It often had me worrying over the outcome for characters. There are some serious issues that are explored.

Zoe brings her own brand of book beliefs to the blue van while Nina is busy holed up in a hospital bed. She brings her own brand of being a nanny to
Her books can be a bit predictable, but when I'm looking for a damsel in distress rescued by a handsome prince, and a fun book to listen to that won't require a lot of concentration while I'm doing something else, these books are perfect. And the Scottish setting on the shore of Loch Ness was a nice bonus! This would make a great beach read too. Audiobook by Fiona Hardingham, also nicely done.
Abi
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Single mother Zoe is desperately struggling to make ends meet in London. Her 4-year-old son Hari is perfect, except for the fact he doesn’t speak – at all. When Zoe’s landlord raises the rent on her dismal studio flat, she realises she has nowhere to turn.

When an opportunity for not one but two jobs arises in Scotland, Zoe decides this could be the change she desperately needs.

Faced with her new boss Ramsay, and his 3 unruly children, Zoe begins to wonder if she’s made a
Kim
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 2019
I loved everything about this book. Zoe is in desperate need of somewhere to stay and a way of earning some money. Her friend finds her somewhere to stay where the children need an aupair and she gets to work on the fabulous touring book bus, whilst Nina has bed rest whilst expecting her new baby.

The children she looks after are a real handful- but it was fascinating to see how Zoe dealt with each problem and how quickly she drew them into her world. The small boy also helps her son
Sasha
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, anglophile
3.5 — I jumped into this new Jenny Colgan expecting my usual comfortable J.C. formula: quirky girl meets boy, quirkiness ensues, love prevails and wins, and all is happy in the end. But NO. Jenny surprised me a bit here. Because while, yes, the precious J.C. formula does shine through eventually, it's not quite as prevalent as usual. Instead of the usual hippy-happy rom-com, this one has a little more depth to it. A desperately poor, lonely single mum with a toddler who won't speak and a deadbea ...more
Peebee
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Colgan’s books always make me want to take over the characters’ lives, so now I’m going to move to Scotland and manage a mobile bookstore and be an au pair. Nice escapist reading: even if the plot is predictable and it’s a little too treacly sweet, it’s like comfort food in book form.
Cassidy (Cassidys.Bookshelf)
**3.5/5**
A sweet book with a gorgeous setting as always, but I don't think I'll remember a ton about it in the months to come.
Sally906
I really enjoyed Zoe’s story. This story takes up just after The Bookshop on the Corner finished. The MC of that one, Nina, is pregnant and on an enforced bed rest. Circumstances lead to Londoner, and single mum, Zoe travelling to Scotland to take over the travelling Bookshop and become an au pair for 3 very unruly and problematic children whose mother has left them and father is not coping.

I didn’t like Nina as much in this book, she was a minor character this time - Zoe had a different b
Sue
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-authors
Readers can always depend on Jenny Colgan to give them a story with a personal dilemma, a little mystery, a few laughs and a happily ever after ending. This book is Jenny at her best. She says in her introduction that this book isn't really a sequel to The Bookshop on the Corner but has a few of the same characters. After reading both, I think you need to read them in order to understand some of the nuances of the second book.

Zoe is living a dismal life in London with her young son,
Alison
Single mum Zoe is struggling to bring up her son Hari in a tiny bedsit in Wembley so when an opportunity arises to relocate to Loch Ness, Scotland and act as au-pair to three children whilst also running a mobile bookshop she jumps at the opportunity, envisaging herself as a modern Mary Poppins reading books to rosy cheeked cherubs. The reality is somewhat different, the bookshop's customers rely heavily on the bookshop's owner Nina to know the books they want/need and Zoe is floundering. The ch ...more
Tiffany PSquared
A perfectly crafted story about a life reinvented and finding new joys in the midst of upheaval.

See my full review on That New Book Smell
Leona
It was an enjoyable read up until the ending. I felt like I was dropped off the side of a building.

There were many serious issues the author chose to handle which added tremendous depth to the story. However, they were dropped for a sweet pat finish that unfortunately ended up trivializing the plot and making the characters unlikable. From the father who basically ignored his children, to the single mother who let everyone walk all over her, I kept hoping these two would grow into characters wo
Marina
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprize!! I thought it would a very typical romance novel, it turned out not to be. I wanted to read it because.... well, the obvious, it’s about books. It is so good and to be honest, after the introduction from the author, it was clear, this was going to be a joy. Which it was! :)
Sheri
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new book by Jenny Colgan is always a treat - there’s just something so engaging about her characters and plots, despite the formulaic titles (as Jenny herself points out in an introduction, authors don’t necessarily get to pick the titles...) So although it may sound like yet another version of Cream Buns at the Little Teashop on the Corner Next to the Bookshop of Happy Dreams, The Bookshop on the Shore was a lovely read.

A sequel, of sorts, to The Little Shop of Happy Ever After (*
Jasmine
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one surprised me a bit. I thought it would be a quick little summer romance novel with no real plotline, but i was pleasenty surprised. This book will speak to anyone who loves books! I love how often they quote lines from other great books and Authors. The way Jenny is able to make you fall in love with Scotland, with all it's scenery , characters and local quirks shows how lovely a storyteller she is. Although it's a romance, I love how she touched on mental health issues in such a sensit ...more
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I have yet to read a Jenny Colgan book I haven’t adored, the woman is just magic. I always get addicted from the first page and have to drag myself away to go to bed ! This is my perfect theme as a book obsessed woman, set in a bookshop. This is heartwarming as always, well written, characters you fall in love with and want to be best friends with. A thoroughly entertaining read, perfect for anytime of the year that you want to feel good.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a fr
Kate Baxter
This book genuinely surprised me. What started as a story of an angsty whiny twenty-something single mom dealing with a mute four-year-old son and his deadbeat dad, quickly turned into one with greater depth and solid meat on its bones.

Zoe is stuck in a one-room London flat with her sweet yet mute son, Hari. She is at wits end as Hari's dad, Jaz, makes promises he won't keep and who does little to ease Zoe and Hari's meager existence. It's Jaz's sister, Surinder, who throws Zoe a lif
Whitney
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the follow-up novel set in the Scottish Higlands. In fact, I binge read this on an 8-hour trip back home after vacation. It's an easy read but still with enough substance to be intellectually engaging. There's a lot to process, with mental illness, single motherhood, and how abandonment affects children - as well as plenty of bookish conundrums, like whether bookshops should sell 'tourist tat' that pays the bills or stick with more literary endeavours.

Nina and company are her
Mary
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's something so comforting about Colgan's books. Like your favorite old sweater, or a pot of homemade soup. The Scottish setting was so picturesque, each character so well developed and charming. The story of Zoe and Ramsey, with his wild children and dark secrets, was captivating. Hari was a delight. We revisited some characters from an earlier book as well.... If life hadn't gotten in the way I would have curled up by the fire and read it in one sitting. It was that good... I just loved t ...more
Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams', which won the RNA Romantic ...more

Scottish Bookshop (2 books)
  • The Bookshop on the Corner
“once when this woman was going on and on about how she would never read on download, that there was nothing like a real book and – I promise I normally am never rude to people but she was being truly insufferable – I said, ‘Well, they’re really only for people who read a lot’ which was mean of me but quite satisfying also.” 5 likes
“It was a very odd concept - that you could become friends with someone simply by examining their bookshelves - but nevertheless, Zoe believed it fervently.” 3 likes