Start by marking “What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics” as Want to Read:

Recipient of Sports Illustrated's Inspiration of the Year Award and one of Time's 100 Most Influential People (2018)
"Who is going to tell these little girls that what was done to them matters? That they are seen and valued, that they are not alone and they are not unprotected?"

Rachael Denhollander's voice was heard around the world when she spoke out to end the most shocking scandal in US gymnastics hist/>"Who
Published September 10th 2019 by Tyndale Momentum

To ask other readers questions about What Is a Girl Worth?, please sign up.
Sarah It's certainly part of the story, but you don't have to be afraid that it's preachy in any way. Her faith was part of her healing process as much as…moreIt's certainly part of the story, but you don't have to be afraid that it's preachy in any way. Her faith was part of her healing process as much as it is part of her drive to fight for justice, so it is certainly mentioned because otherwise this would not be an authentic book. But it doesn't expect anything of the reader. It's simply statements of fact about her own experience wrestling with her faith and also dealing with how churches reacted to her story. There's really just one chapter where she is dealing with her personal faith in response to what was done to her. Otherwise, it's sort of peripheral. I think, for someone who doesn't share Rachael's faith, it might actually be an honest portrayal of a Christian's handling of this sort of heartbreak, and that perspective might be worth seeing. (less)

Kristen Mcknight
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is not for the faint of heart. The author is a strong, resilient and tenacious person who fights for girls (including herself) who have been sexually abused so that their voices are heard. The institutional coverups by Michigan State University, and US Olympic Committee and the US Gymnastics organization are appalling.
This book is an eye-opener and is recommended for every parent and adult who desires to be an advocate for children.
Darby Stouffer
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW: How Much Is A Girl Worth?

I have eagerly followed Rachael Denhollander since she first appeared “on the scene” when she bravely spoke with Christian love and wisdom at her abuser’s trial. I was so thrilled to learn she was writing a book, and so pleased to be able to get an advance copy to review for you, my friends.

I truly, truly cannot recommend this book enough. If you are an abuse survivor, you will feel seen, understood, ministered to, and pointed to Christ.

If you are m
Eric
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is a girl worth? More than just the title of the book, this is the theme and question that is woven into every fiber of the book. From the first page to the last, you are presented over and over again with the dichotomy of people and institutions who do things right against those who cannot seem to do anything but wrong. Or, in other words, those who recognize and extend value and those who don't.

Rachael's memoir is not for those who want to avoid the hard situations or wh
Ericka
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly well-written and compelling look at the story behind Rachael Denhollander's courageous battle to take down Larry Nassar. She gives you every detail on how she strategically planned to ensure the truth came out. Reading, however, you will learn that this was much more than just about Nassar. Rachael sends a powerful message about community protectionism, the power of Christ's love and JUSTICE. I couldn't put it down and was honored she would share her story in so much honest, beautiful ...more
Todd Starowitz
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a culture-changing book and a must read.
Calvinist Batman
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I read this book while also reading Not Forsaken: A Story of Life After Abuse by Jennifer Michelle Greenberg. As they are both about abuse, their respective reviews might bleed together somewhat. Reading both together, I saw many similarities between them and the differences I saw between the two books showed their unique strengths. I strongly recommend reading both books, though they are unrelated outside of topic.

I am in awe of this book.

I was torn apart by this book.

SUMMARY/>
Melissa
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Raw. Real. Heartbreaking beyond belief.
Immense thanks to Rachael Denhollander for being brave enough to share her story. My youngest daughter was a competitive gymnast for ten years, and we have been following this story closely since it broke. My heart is shattered for what these girls went through at the hands of this doctor, but also for the fact that it was next to impossible for the perpetrator to be tried and convicted. We must do better for victims of assault of any variety, but esp
Hannah Mwanthi
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"How Much is a Girl Worth?" is so much more than a memoir. It begins with a dedication "To every survivor.... it is not your fault. It is not Your shame. You are believed. May you know how much you are worth." It ends with, "So much work remains. So much evil to fight. So much healing to reach for. So many wounded to love. Consider this your invitation to join in that work. To do what is right, no matter the cost. To hold to the straight lines in the midst of the battle. To define your success b ...more
Jessi Irwin
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was worried about bringing this book as a vacation read, thinking the material would be too heavy and depressing. While some points were indeed heartbreaking/infuriating, it was also so full of courage and hope that I couldn't put it down. I had followed Rachael's story on social media and in the press but this memoir format really drew me in. I had also listened to the NPR podcast and I enjoyed hearing about the involved individuals from Rachael's perspective.

As someone who has participated
Jesse Doogan
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, 2019
This is truly an incredible book. Denhollander tells her story with so much courage. It was an honor to get to read.
Ryan Akers
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"People have no idea what it costs survivors to stop an abuser." @R_Denhollander #WhatIsAGirlWorth

This book is something every parent ought to read. Every teacher. Every coach. Every law enforcement member. Every pastor. Every adult who loves children.

The cost of doing the right things always goes up the more removed the need is from it's cause. Rachael illustrates this in no uncertain terms. So much heartache, so many wounds, so many damage done could have been avoided h
Persis
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up later than I intended last night and finished "What is a Girl Worth?". I had followed the Nassar case after connecting with Jacob Denhollander on Twitter. He shared his wife’s story in the Indy Star article – a victim/survivor who had come forward to stop an evil man who had been abusing children for decades. As I read the articles and watched the news coverage, Rachael came across as so brave, strong, and capable. Her training as an attorney was evident in the clarity and power of h ...more
Neville Longbottom
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
If I were basing my rating solely on Rachael’s determination and bravery in coming forward to bring Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics to justice then I’d give this book a 5 star rating. However, the writing, the structure, and emphasis on some topics held me back from that being my actual rating. I’m aware this is an unfair comparison, but reading this right after finishing All the President's Men really showed off the difference in the quality of writing between the two books.

This is definitely an
Winslow
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really triggering for me, so it took me weeks to finish reading it. But damn, was it worth the read.

Now I just have to think of a subtle way to send a bunch of copies to the Christians in my life who shrugged, stayed silent, or openly dismissed abuse disclosures... I'm leaning towards "I really enjoyed this book and it made me think of you! Especially the highlighted portions where the author's church ignores her when she stands up to her rapist. XOXO, Winslow." #NailedIt
Flynn Evans
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a decidedly incisive and sobering account of what it means to be a survivor without ever losing hope in one’s true dignity in the eyes of God. Denhollander shows us how to use the power of love in the pursuit of truth so that those who are voiceless might finally find the words to speak.
Abby Alam
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachael shares her harrowing story of her journey as a young girl into the world of gymnastics and the sexual abuse she was exposed to that was running rampant for hundreds of other little girls as well. As an adult, she saw an opportunity to expose her abuser and bravely stood up for herself and all the other young women who experienced abuse at the hands of Dr. Larry Nassar.

This book was honest, engaging, and hard to put down. I followed Rachael’s story in the news and the whole trial as it h
Paul
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a pleasant read, but a needed one. Dads and pastors need to read this book. Rachael Denhollander shares a first-person account of her life, from victim to woman of strength - a real-life narrative of light and darkness, courage and wickedness, hope and pain. As she did when she spoke in the courtroom, she roots her convictions in the justice of God and in the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's a powerful story, but it's also an apologetic for the Christian faith. Without a just Creator above and o ...more
E.
Shelves: biography
An incredible read. Denhollander uses her story to shed light on the dynamics of sexual abuse and what victims face in attempting to expose it. Hopefully, people who might not pick up a manual on how to respond to sexual abuse will be more interested in reading a book like this, which confronts many common myths about abuse in the context of Denhollander's own experiences, both in gymnastics and in the church. It's not often that I read a nonfiction work in two days, but it was difficult to put ...more
Donna Hines
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want a book that illustrates the power of one voice to create change coupled with the force of many voices in showcasing the horror of cover ups and abuse than this is your book.
Nobody wants to be a target, to put themselves in harm's way, yet we know to save others we must.
Rachael Denhollander is a hero to so many for being the first to speak out against the abuse suffered by Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics. She is the force behind the justice for all.
This should be req
Amy Morgan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You may choose to look the other way but you can never again say that you did not know.” This quote from William Wilberforce, which shows up toward the end of “What is a Girl Worth?” aptly describes the danger of reading this book. And that danger is exactly what makes the book mandatory reading—because abuse is everywhere and no one is untouched by it.

“What is a Girl Worth?” is an uncomfortable view into abuse that was typical in many ways—grooming of not only the victim but the co
Joelle
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is a girl worth? Everything.

She is worth everything.

I sobbed my way through this book. I was crying so hard at the end I was afraid my son was going to get scared. How Rachael did this, literally only God knows. He was the One who gave her the courage, the wisdom, and the incredible helpmeet of Jacob to be able to stand up and say, "No. This must stop. We are worth it."

I cannot fathom how she endured telling her story so. many. times. The introvert in me was cringing in a fet
Destynie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the most powerful memoir I've ever read and one of the few books that have truly changed my life and way of thinking.

As an avid gymnastics fan, I followed the Nassar trial in horror and disbelief, wondering how a travesty of this scale could possibly happen under the noses of people entrusted to protect children and how it continued for decades. I had so many questions and this book answered all of them. This is what happens when money and reputation are prioritized by powerf
Andrew
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars.

Unfortunately, as much as it pains me to say it...this wasn't all that well-written. There were so many moments, so many pieces of dialogue, that were just so incredibly cringe-worthy.

The worst part is, many of these instances came during an incredibly powerful and/or heartbreaking moment of the book. So I would be so incredibly invested, in tears or nearing there, and then there'd be a line of dialogue or a cliche-sounding sentence, and it would bring me right back out.
Olivia Huggins
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a difficult story but a beautiful read. Rachael puts so much heart in to this book. I finished this book and still am processing all the feelings of injustice that were set up ahead of her. My biggest takeaway is her attention to explaining why she waited for the timing that she did and seeing how her life has changed because of her decision to be public. This boldness has cost her greatly even when the outcome put an end to one person's abuse. The outcome has still not changed ...more
Dalen
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
A powerful and moving book. The author is articulate and clear, telling her story and inviting the reader in. The book is unflinching in its portrayal of the Nassar case without communicating a tone of bitterness towards those who perpetrated, allowed, and intensified the evil that was committed. What struck me most was how she seemed so unlikely to be abused, a homeschooled child with a loving family, parents who really cared about protecting their children, and yet she was still abused. I thin ...more
Susannah
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Eye-opening and love-of-Christ motivated look into the impact of sexual abuse and the impact of people who look the other way instead of protecting and listening. Very worthwhile, despite tough content.
Stephanie
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a slower read than what I expected. It’s by no means because it is bad or poorly written or anything like that. It is because I wasn’t expecting to find such a relatable experience. I was not expecting to look in a mirror and be faced with the damage that was done that I have not addressed. I was not expecting to find a sister survivor that can make me feel like I’m not alone one moment and then challenge and convict me the next moment.

Rachael Denhollander has written a book that i
Chris
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an extraordinarily well written book that deserves a very wide audience. The author has endured unspeakable trauma. Her response is a complete focus on others well-being and not her own.

Please read this book to not only learn about what Rachael endured at the hands of Larry Nasser, but also read this book to learn about how we should handle all of the situations we encounter on a daily basis. Our world would be a much different place if we followed Rachel‘s humble example.
Ivan
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phew. What a story. Lord, have mercy.
Jim Savastio
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book by a brilliant author. A very emotional read on numerous levels--anger, sorrow, frustration, as well as joy. Rachael tells not only her own story in a thoroughly readable and compelling way, but stands a voice for the millions of nameless victims and often get no earthly justice. Rachael's story is ultimately a testimony to the power of love.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Calvinist Batman ...: Chapters 16 + 17 2 9 Oct 01, 2019 10:16AM
Calvinist Batman ...: Chapters 14 + 15 1 3 Sep 27, 2019 11:57AM
Calvinist Batman ...: Chapters 10 + 11 3 5 Sep 26, 2019 03:56PM
Calvinist Batman ...: Chapters 12 + 13 2 4 Sep 26, 2019 03:14PM
Calvinist Batman ...: Chapters 8 + 9 1 7 Sep 23, 2019 10:22AM
Calvinist Batman ...: Chapters 6 + 7 2 6 Sep 20, 2019 01:19PM
Calvinist Batman ...: Chapters 4 + 5 1 5 Sep 18, 2019 08:20AM
Rachael Denhollander is an attorney, advocate, and educator who became known internationally as the first woman to file a police report and speak publicly against USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar, one of the most prolific sexual abusers in recorded history. As a result of her activism, over 250 women came forward as survivors of Nassar’s abuse, leading to his life imprisonment. Additionally ...more