Start by marking “Legacy of Ash” as Want to Read:
Legacy of Ash

Legacy of Ash

(Legacy Trilogy #1)

In this action-packed epic fantasy debut, three heroes scarred by old hatreds must find a way to overcome their pasts if they are to have any chance of saving their crumbling Republic from complete destruction. Perfect for fans of George R. R. Martin, Brent Weeks, and Brandon Sanderson.

A shadow has fallen over the Tressian Republic.

While the armies of the Hadari Empire
Published November 5th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Legacy of Ash, please sign up.
Matthew Ward A little of both. While Legacy of Ash is part of a trilogy (with threads and characters that will be explored later down the line), it's written…moreA little of both. While Legacy of Ash is part of a trilogy (with threads and characters that will be explored later down the line), it's written primarily as a self-contained story with a satisfying beginning, middle and end.

You'll want to read the next one because you enjoyed this one, not because you feel you have to get the full story. (less)

Start your review of Legacy of Ash
Petrik
Achievement unlocked: This is the 100th ARC/Review Copy I’ve read and reviewed!

Review Copy provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

Legacy of Ash is an epic fantasy debut aptly designed for well-seasoned epic fantasy readers, and I wouldn’t recommend newcomers to the genre starting to start their epic fantasy adventure here.

We all know how it goes; if it’s an epic fantasy debut, the particular book will immediately be advertised as A Song of Ice and Fire or Game of
James Islington
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this! LEGACY OF ASH is another debut coming out this year that’s certainly worth a look if you’re into slightly more historical-feeling epic fantasy. It’s an interesting mix – it was pitched to me as A GAME OF THRONES meets Bernard Cromwell, and I don’t think that’s too far off the mark. It has great worldbuilding, and a big cast that allows the story to stay detail-oriented while maintaining quite a wide scope. There’s plenty of politics and backstabbing and generally terrible people ...more
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘[[Much can change in time,]] said Anastacia. [[Truth becomes hope, and hope becomes legend. What was wild becomes settled, and fear lives on as prejudice. People remember where history forgets.]]’
~
Legacy of Ash is the first instalment in the aptly titled Legacy Trilogy by Matthew Ward. This book is a tome to say the least, rounding up at 764 pages, this is one hell of an ambitious epic fantasy and one that completely enchanted me.

To give a brief outline of what the book is about is somewhat of
Hiu Gregg
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It feels like a long time since I’ve last read a big, chunky epic fantasy book set in a pseudo-European medieval setting. Which is wild, when you think about it, seeing as these types of books are still so often the most recommended.

But reading Legacy of Ash managed to stir up a little bit of nostalgia in me. It was a similar sort of feeling to that of eating a really good meal that reminds me of your parent’s cooking. The restaurant might use fresher ingredients than you would have found at
FanFiAddict
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Hachette Audio, Libro.fm, the author, and the narrator for an advance listening copy of Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy #1) in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this ALC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

George R. R. Who? A sprawling epic filled with multi-dimensional characters, political intrigue, intense magic, and large-scale battles, Legacy of Ash is sure to be at the top of many “Best of” lists in 2020. A perfect blend of Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire
Liviu
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the writing in this one and some of the characters were interesting, but the world-building felt constricted and there was way too much magic or maybe better put, magical, all-powerful beings for my taste. Still, a strong narrative kept me turning the pages somewhat to my surprise and I definitely plan to keep an eye for the next book if only to see where it goes as the ending is quite interesting.
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Jul 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Well this is quite an epic cover! Looking forward to it being released in November.
Vigasia
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this book deserves a lot more attention. It is a huge volume, true, but while I had a great year in books, this one definitely gets in top ten.

Legacy of Ash is a story with a well-constructed worldbuilding and a large cast of characters. I know that this may discourage many people to read this book but I tell you, it's worth it. First of all, unlike many so big books, when there are many PoV's - here characters are so clear that it's hard to get lost in who is who. There aren't difficult
Unseen Library
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
In this week’s Waiting on Wednesday, I look at an intriguing new upcoming fantasy book that sounds like it has a lot of potential, Legacy of Ash by Matthew Ward.

Here at The Unseen Library, I try to keep an eye out for upcoming books from authors I am unfamiliar with that look interesting and have a cool plot premise that I can really sink my teeth into. Legacy of Ash, which is coming out in November this year, fits all of these categories and more. Not only is it the first book in an exciting
Mark
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now some of you know that my love affair with Epic Fantasy has taken a knock over the last couple of years. I’ve started too many books with high expectations only to find that unoriginal and repetitive plots, silly names, major coincidences just for the sake of plot and just bad characterisations and worse dialogue have killed them dead for me. Usually by the halfway point, I’ve reluctantly given up. It still pains me to type that I’ve abandoned way more than I’ve finished, much as I hate to do ...more
Molly Herbert
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
In short, I enjoyed the book. Nothing particularly novel or noteworthy, but worth reading.

This book uses a lot of familiar fantasty tropes - a noble family being punished for the actions of their deceased mother, a princess determined to prove herself as valuable as a son, users of evil magic are burned, there's a noble laying schemes to get more power and killing off others, etc. It's also set in a land that's indistinguishable from medieval Europe. But reading something familiar is often
Sarah (A French Girl)
I added this one. I hope I won't be disappointed. I've seen a reader mention a warrior princess and I'm a bit wary. There isn't a single trope that is more boring to me than that one. No, a girl doesn't need to want to be the son her father always wanted to be cool. But oh well, we will see.
Simon Tombides
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ronnie Morriss
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could barely put this one down.

Loved the twists.

Loved the characters, and hated some too.

Highly recommend
Maisie Dickson(SleepyWiredStudios)
This felt like a second book in a series not a starter.

extra star for the smexy cover.
Simon Ellberger
Dec 04, 2019
Matthew Murphy
Dec 03, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Book to My Profile 3 19 Mar 25, 2019 06:31AM

• The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • Smoke and Stone (City of Sacrifice, #1)
  • The Pursuit of William Abbey
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Ghoster
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Bound (Book of the Ancestor, #2.5)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark, #2)
  • The Last Conversation
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Lord of Secrets (The Empty Gods, #1)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
Matthew Ward is a writer, cat-servant and owner of more musical instruments than he can actually play (and considerably more than he can play well). He’s afflicted with an obsession for old places – castles, historic cities and the London Underground chief amongst them – and should probably cultivate more interests to help expand out his author biography.

After a decade serving as a principal

Legacy Trilogy (2 books)
  • Legacy of Steel (The Legacy Trilogy)