Start by marking “The Miracles of the Namiya General Store” as Want to Read:
The Miracles of the Namiya General Store

The Miracles of the Namiya General Store

When three delinquents hole up in an abandoned general store after their most recent robbery, to their great surprise, a letter drops through the mail slot in the store's shutter. This seemingly simple request for advice sets the trio on a journey of discovery as, over the course of a single night, they step into the role of the kindhearted former shopkeeper who devoted ...more
Published September 24th 2019 by Yen On (first published March 28th 2012)

Start your review of The Miracles of the Namiya General Store
Narin Kim
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This magical story about a magical Store offers readers strange comfort. It is about 3 thieves looking for a place to hide on their way to escape from the police. They reach an old house that looks like an old General store and decides to make their way in, spend the night there, and make their way out in the morning. However, as they look around the house, they realize that there's something going on in this house. Something strange. They receive an envelope in the mailbox outside the store and ...more
Nattapan
4.5 stars. Very memorable!!

This quote might be good enough to give you an idea about this great book.

“The key to accepting responsibility for your life is to accept the fact that your choices, every one of them, are leading you inexorably to either success or failure, however you define those terms.” (Neal Boortz)
Cat
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Really good read! Loved the idea of helping through letters and them travelling in time! ...more
Jessica Lin
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a cute and sweet story. I smiled and laughed while I was reading this book. I did enjoy reading conversation among those 3 guys. It is a book that makes me relaxed and and feel warm. Enjoy reading it!
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
The Miracles of Namiya General Store is a book of interconnected short stories focusing on the lives of individuals who were helped or shaped by both the store and a nearby orphanage, called Marumitsuen. It follows a group of delinquents, an Olympic fencer, and a real estate tycoon amongst others. It’s a book about how everyone’s lives are connected to one another, how one small action can lead to much larger impacts spanning across generations.

This book comes full circle, showing how the past
The Arctic Sky (NgocTram)
Good!! I read this book just ONE day, ONE night. It's an intertwined story between reality and mystery around grocery store Namiya. I love all characters and their situation in this story but I'm most impressed is Katsuro - a brave and kind boy, I also like Namiya - grocery store owner and 3 cool thiefs.
I completely know problem of Kousuke, sometimes I have that idea, but My mother's love help me, and I know I love she too.
4.8 point because I want to know more about actions of the 3 thiefs
Colette
Excellent plots, good psychological analyses, well translated.

I finished reading this book really fast. Some parts are rather craftily designed, but too obvious; some sentences rather touching, but hardly any of them an epiphany. This book IS amazing though, I sensed its lacking of aftertaste.

However, it is somewhat worth reading.
Yuan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keigo Higashino is so good at whodunit. Once you start, you just cannot stop reading...!!! Once you finish, you just cannot stop thinking/rethinking all the details...!!!
Kitty Marie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who want to start reading Japanese fiction.
The Miracles of the Namiya General Store is a Japanese novel that I can heartily recommend to anyone and everyone. You don't need any sort of pre-existing cultural knowledge to grasp this one. The simple writing style is approachable for most ages (though this is adult fiction) and the story's focal points are wonderfully effective and meaningful on a universal level. Also recommendable as a first entry into the oft puzzling sub-genres of magical realism and time travel, as the realism aspect is ...more
Zhi Hui
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
在跨年时读了这本书,结尾给了我新年一剂的强心剂 老师以奇妙悬疑的文笔把看似一群陌生人的故事联系在一起。一个圆满的结局。

The timeline and interactions between characters in the story transit beautifully among different stories and characters. It’s a story of a small miracle but coupled with Keigo Higashino’s mystery writing style, the book gave the impression that this small magical moment might be happening at a corner of your local mundane neighborhood.
Winna
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
this book gives me all the feels. I took my time reading it, the same way I did with the movie, because there were so many twists and turns. everything is elaborately planned and written, with a great attention to detail as well as an apt observation of humanity. I loved every page of it, and got goosebumps many times over as I was devouring it. I think the book and its movie adaptation complete each other wonderfully.
Heather
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anjana
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for those who like a mild dose of magical realism in their reading. This supplements a twisted storyline with many branches, some keep coming back and connecting to another down the road to give us a whole new view at the point that it does.

The story begins with three boys who are fleeing a crime of some sort. They end up stumbling across an abandoned store and take shelter there. This move has them entangled in a lot more than they bargained for. It begins with one letter
Thomas
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I was very surprised by this book, Keigo Higashino I only know as a crime thriller writer and this book is a departure from that. A very poignant and moving book with lots of magical realism in it.

Some of the letters to and from the Store and the senders were very moving and it is a well written book with some lovely characters.

I was looking forward to reading this and I am glad that I did, it was superb and lived up to my expectations.
Jane
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A charming story totally unlike Higashino's Detective Galileo series. Three thieves hiding out in an abandoned store experience an awakening as they deal with a mysterious series of letters dropping through the front door slot.
Nadiia
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional and fascinating book!
Vignesh Venkat
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent non linear fantasy story with many story lines intertwined. Keigo's ability to tie story lines is of the highest quality!
Lindsay Tebeck
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Soft & entrancing! This book was oddly all too enjoyable regardless of its YA style (In fact, it reads like a Manga script - which was my guilty pleasure!) A great read to unwind with; gentle with a well interlaced story line. <3
Doug
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a wonderful story. Now I want to go back and reread to better follow the details!
In it's own way - it's a gem. Complex, but readable, interesting yet not overwhelming. I think it's worth your time.
Shaun Zhang
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is a book about self-redemption. The author tells four warm stories. Three thieves escape and hide in an obsolete store. Accidentally, they enter a mysterious room in which the time is connected to thirty years ago. They kept receiving letters asking for help and answering them patiently. Eventually, they help a helpless woman who was actually stolen by them. This, instead, inspires their kindness in their inner heart.
Thanh Pham
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an interesting and heart-warming book of Keigo! As magical as the title says.
I have finished it in one go and even managed to read it again right after that.
Had a great time following the unexpected journey of 3 amateur thieves and all the people who had - in one way or another - crossed each other's life without knowing. All starts... from a mail box of a little shop.
Astraycat
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: death, creative-story
Great read. Differs from most of his defective fiction, but still so good that you wanted to finish it in one day. Morover, you wouldn't know the whole situation until you finish it.

Recommend to those who enjoy Higashino Keigo's stories, or those who want to read sth new.
Anh Hoài
A book with a heck of plot that can twist your head.
A fun book to read after all :)
Alicia Zhang
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to pick up this book after a bunch of family members recommended it to me. At first I was reluctant to read it because I would only be able to read the Chinese version (I don't think there's an English version right now) and I've never been able to ever complete a novel written in/translated to Chinese. But after reading the first few pages, I was completely drawn in.

I don't really know what counts as a spoiler and I've tried to put the spoiler tag on things I would see as a spoiler.
Nguyen Manh tung
To begin with, this novel is a phenomenal. What I have heard about Higashino-sensei (I'm calling his surname because I really don't know him much) is that he originally wrote mystery and detective genres.This is his first attempt with slice of life, fantasy genres. Overall, due to his main genres were mystery and detective novels, this work of him was no exception and it inherited some of the most unique way of telling stories from those genres. The story was mainly about a general store named ...more
Alex
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by Keigo Higashino, a Japanese mystery author who's still ill famed in the western hemisphere. This is a book of self-redemption.Shortly before closing down his business, the elderly owner of the store, Yūji Namiya, gained some fame for providing free but carefully considered advice to anonymous customers. 40 years later, three young burglars head for an abandoned building that they’ve had their eye on to lie low. As the three hide out there waiting for time to pass, ...more
Yan Li
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are multiple timelines throughout the stories and what makes this book so fascinating is how it intertwines different times, same characters and their changed mindset.
It’s a page turner, cause the plot is unpredictable: you never know how the next character is connected with the rest in the stories, but you know they are somehow connected and want to find out how exactly.
I adore this book also for the wisdom shared throughout the book. Everyone has that moment in life, when facing tough
Karen
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for originality alone.

"Compare the people who write to me as lost, astray. In most cases, they have a map but just won't look at it, or don't know how to find their own location."

What a delightful story. I have no idea how to review this story. Basically, three bandits find a run down convenience store as a hideaway. When a letter comes through the mail slot asking for advice, they realize this store's owner used to give advice in the past when it was still running. So they decide to
Isabel Ye
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
ClarkW_E1
To clarify, this book is called Grief Grocery Store in english.

This realistic fiction novel written by the famous Japanese author Keigo Higashino portrays three thieves hiding in a deserted hut in the alleyway in the year 2012. The three young adults soon realized that this hut acts like a time machine; there will be letters, written by anonymous people from approximately 30 years ago, coming in, asking for life advice.

What I really like about this book is how there are different stories with
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Những Giấc Mơ Ở Hiệu Sách Morisaki
  • เมื่อสวรรค์ให้รางวัลผม (Colorful)
  • Khi Tách Cà Phê Còn Chưa Nguội
  • พรุ่งนี้ผมจะเดตกับเธอคนเมื่อวาน
  • Nếu biết trăm năm là hữu hạn
  • 마당이 있는 집
  • 5 Centimeters Per Second
  • Để Yên Cho Bác Sĩ "Hiền"
  • Bạn đắt giá bao nhiêu?
  • 為了N
  • Cảm Ơn Người Lớn
  • Khu Vườn Ngôn Từ
  • Be With You 今会いにゆきます
Keigo Higashino (東野 圭吾) is one of the most popular and biggest selling fiction authors in Japan—as well known as James Patterson, Dean Koontz or Tom Clancy are in the USA.

Born in Osaka, he started writing novels while still working as an engineer at Nippon Denso Co.(presently DENSO). He won the Edogawa Rampo Prize, which is awarded annually to the finest mystery work, in 1985 for the novel Hōkago