Start by marking “Ali Cross” as Want to Read:
Ali Cross

Ali Cross

(Ali Cross #1)

Alex's son Ali is eager to follow in his father's footsteps as a detective, but when his best friend goes missing, what price will he have to pay to solve the mystery?

Ali Cross has always looked up to his father, former detective and FBI agent Alex Cross. While solving some of the nation's most challenging crimes, his father always kept his head and did the right thing. Ca
Published November 25th 2019 by jimmy patterson

To ask other readers questions about Ali Cross, please sign up.

Start your review of Ali Cross
Cristina Monica
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Ali Cross – Alex Cross’ young son – who wants to become a detective, just like his father, and work towards protecting his community. He thought he would have to wait much longer to follow on his father’s footsteps, but after one of his friends disappears, he decides to investigate the disappearance and won’t stop until he finds his friend.

I have yet to read an Alex Cross book, though there are many to choose from. But I quite enjoyed meeting him in this book, as well as his
Matt
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
James Patterson has a new treat for his young adult (read: teen) fans with this long-awaited debut featuring Ali Cross. Many longtime Patterson fans will know of Alex Cross and his youngest—yet also precocious—son, Ali, who sees things outside of the box. While the entire Cross clan is gathered for Christmas, Ali has other things on his mind. His friend, Gabe, is missing and no one seems to be doing much about it. Ali wants nothing more than to help find his close friend, but the case seems to b ...more
Chad
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Ali Cross is something of an Alex Cross book for kids. Ali is Alex Cross's youngest child. He's a whip smart and precocious middle schooler. When Ali's friend Gabe goes missing, Ali decides to conduct his own investigation into his disappearance. Meanwhile, Alex is on desk duty while awaiting trial for an accident that happened to a civilian while on the job.

While written with children in mind, the whole Cross family appears in the book. I do think it is something every Alex Cross fan will want
Scott A. Miller
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I might have liked this “kids” book a little too much. It was fun and light. It was also basically a Cross book. Patterson always includes the family in the Alex Cross novels and this was no different. Ali was a pretty good lead. It was a nice little change of pace, even if it was familiar. The mystery was simple and straight forward and that was just fine. I’ll read the next one, which knowing Patterson, is sure to come out sooner than later.
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved most of this but there were some real holes in the story. Ali, son of Alex Cross, is going to appeal to MG readers and perhaps provide some crossover to other mystery/thriller writers. His caring about his missing friend and determination to find him is appealing, but there's where the holes are: surely the police would have been a little more involved? Either a missing person's report was filed by the parents or it wasn't. If it was, wouldn't they have interviewed Ali? and if not, would ...more
Barbara Schultz
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.6
I have been a big Alex Cross fan for many years. I especially liked when the family was included in the story.
Recently read the latest Alex Cross Criss Cross and 10 year old Ali played a great role.
I was sure I was going to like a story that featured Ali.
I enjoyed when Harlan Coben did several novels featuring Mickey Bolitar (Myron Bolitar’s nephew.
JP didn’t disappoint ~ looking forward to Ali Cross Book #2
Laurene
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although Ali Cross has been identified as a "Jimmy" book. I am hoping this is the beginning of a new series. Ali Cross is a young novice investigator who admires his Dad, Alex Cross, a major character in a series of novels by James Patterson. Enjoyed the interchange between Ali and Alex Cross. Great insight into becoming a novice investigator.
Paula  Phillips
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to finally get to read this book as I have been waiting for ages for it to be released as months before I had read an article that spoke about how James Patterson was finally writing a book with Ali as the main character. Out of all the Cross family, I have always had a soft spot for Ali as he is a mini-Alex and always been a fun character. He has always been full of life and had some intelligent conversations and quips in the Alex Cross series. Ali Cross dreams of being a detec ...more
Lola
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
It was okay. It is probably for more of younger kids.
Kathy
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great middle grade mystery. The story itself did not represent an accurate description of what would have happened but the mystery was compelling for a middle grade read.
Mary
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Book!

I have read many books by James Patterson and this new one is a good one.

When I heard that the story was about Alex’s son, I thought it would be a Children’s story. How wrong I was!

It started out right away as a thriller. And kept my attention throughout the book.

I would recommed the book to everyone.
Jennifer Brown
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I haven't read any of the Alex Cross series. There was some backstory that was missing about him (since he is Ali's father) but I think the author did an ok job catching the reader up. I could definitely tell that this was written for the younger crowd. I think it was a good book (and maybe series?) for young adults who like mystery/thrillers!
Ellen Wolintz-Fields
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic ! Love Ali Cross - even more than his dad Alex. Cannot wait until next one !
Bennett
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am giving a book talk on this book!
Donna Hines
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Cross Family is at it again but in various directions making one wonder will they ever get their act together?
True, Alex Cross is facing his own legal problems having been charged with assault after a suspect is left in a coma.
Now, his son is facing his own dilemma in uncovering the truth about his friend GABE who appears to be stuck in a world that's well known to teen's - The video/gaming world!
Having three teens myself I know all about MineCraft and the like and this reminded me of that c
Billy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why is it that James Patterson's children and YA books are better written than his most recent adult thrillers? I don't know the answer to the question, I'm just asking to see if anyone knows the answer.

Anyhow, Ali Cross, which I'm guessing is the first installment in a brand-new series, doesn't waste a moment of time setting up the disappearance plot. Now if you have read any of the Alex Cross novels, then you would have already met Ali, who has made appearances in those novels. In this myster
Amy
So, overall impression of this book was one of being UNDERWHELMED. It really didn't live up to my hopes, and I think that is probably just because it is much younger than I anticipated. I was thinking this might fall into the likes of a Harlan Coben book, or something along the lines of the C.H.E.R.U.B series, but it is SOLIDLY middle grade. And more of the 4-6 end of the spectrum than the 6-8 end. Final verdict: I think it will be popular due to the author and the premise (kid detective, missin ...more
Deb
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 rounded up. This is a kid's book. The story line was very simplistic. I'm not sure that the book would even keep a child interested. Got a bit "preachy" at times.
Chava
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was ok but felt like a dumbing down of a Alex cross to make it ok for kids. Also too much religion for me
AYL 010 ✯ The Professional Complainer ✯
2.8

Until the middle of the book I had no absolute idea who the culprit was. That said, most of this book was very predictable and somewhat disappointing. The climax is about three pages long, and the author describes the culprit "wielding a knife" but he never seems to use it. Why? I dunno. Another character that seems to lose the "spirit" is Ali himself. In the first few chapters, he stands up for his father and made it clear that he would do anything to find his missing friend, Gabe. But as th
Sarah Morse
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ali Cross is a compelling mystery that allows young students to join Ali Cross and his dad, famous detective Alex Cross, on a journey to find out what happened to Ali’s classmate and friend Gabe Qualls. This story is told by both Ali and Alex Cross. Each perspective is presented in its own chapter allowing you to envision the various crimes from the individual’s point of view. Throughout the book, Ali takes charge of the investigation with the help of his friends since his father Alex Cross is o ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, disappearance of a friend.

I wanted to love this, because there are so few crime novels for the lower YA/upper MG end of the market, and this was exactly that.

However.

The writing was really not very good. I didn't love the changing perspectives between Ali and Alex Cross, because the intended readership likely have no experience of Alex Cross and so picking up on plot points (I assume) from the Alex Cross series here seemed...somewhat pointless. Frankly, I would hav
Ricky
After nearly thirty years writing mystery novels with Alex Cross, James Patterson now gives us a spinoff for the kids, centering on Alex's precocious son, Ali - already shaping up to be a great junior detective in his own right. And for his first case, it's naturally pretty personal - one of his best friends, Gabe Qualls, for whom Ali is one of his few friends both IRL and in the popular video game Outpost (a kind of mashup of Minecraft and Fortnite), has gone missing, and literally nobody is pu ...more
Brenda
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Reader - Middle School age focus - A new series by James Patterson

Ali Cross is the youngest son of Detective Alex Cross. Ali was the last person to see his classmate Gabe Qualls on their way home from middle school at the start of Christmas Break. Gabe's disappearance has Ali and his friends organizing a search.
During this time Ali's family are impacted by his Dad's trial. Alex has been accused of assaulting a man during an investigation.
Ali learns from his Dad as they work together to f
Val Wheeler
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and have read a few of the Alex Cross books, but will probably read them slowly from the start if I get time, or listen them on audiobook. However I look forward to reading the next in this series. I think it will appeal to adults and young adults/children of aged 10 years plus.
I was a little surprised that the Police weren't more involved but I guess they have to make it more excising for the children and get Ali more involved.

I think there was a crossover as believe I r
CYIReadBooks (Claire)
James Patterson expands the Alex Cross legacy in his new series, featuring Alex's son, Ali. This book is the first book in the series and it is such a welcome change. Ali is aspiring to be a detective like his dad, Alex Cross so you not only get the son's (Ali's) point of view, but the father's (Alex's) point of view as well.

A great introduction for YA and middle grade readers to the writings of James Patterson.

4 stars - I really like it.
Sherry Scheline
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I am not the biggest James Patterson fan, but I enjoyed this book. If you have a young adult reader in your home this is a great joint read. A parent / teen read together book. The audio would be perfect for a trip to Boise and back.
My dislikes: it was far to predictable. There was no imagination. I also thought character development was poor. I didn’t fall in love with any of the characters.
Lulu
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ali, the youngest of the Cross clan and the one who seems to be the exact image of his dad Alex Cross. He’s now is middle school, still as smart as ever and off solving his own mysteries. This one involves the disappearance of his friend Gabe.

We’ve seen Ali grow up in the other Alex across novels and now he’s coming into his own. This is aimed for teen readers, but if you’ve grown attached to the Cross family over the years (like I have) you will want to pick this up. An enjoyable story.
Koby Z. (KZ Reads)
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.8 Stars | Mysterious
Wowza-this is a great YA mystery! Action-packed and adventurous, I loved how this book made me never want to put it down and was always digging at the edge of my heels with mystery. I highly recommend this for readers of ages 9-14.
**Make sure to like this review, and of course, follow or friend me if you haven't yet.**
**My blog link is www.kzreads.blogspot.com. I would greatly appreciate it if you take a moment to look at it, and if you like it, subscribe!**
Hugh Woodson
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like father, like son. Ali wants to be like father, famous Alex Cross. He learned everything there was to be as a detective, unofficially. He is smart and quite a stubborn like Alex.

Story center around his missing friend. Ali pick up clues after clues to solve the case with or without police. He had his friends help him out from time to time.

I look forward to next adventure with Ali Cross
Final Round
5,120,025 Votes Cast

• Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • The Hunted (Amber Fang #1)
  • Major Impossible
  • The Impossible Fortress
  • Betty & Veronica: Senior Year
  • Iced in Paradise (Leilani Santiago Hawai'i Mystery, #1)
  • Eerie Volume 1
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • The Frangipani Tree Mystery (Crown Colony #1)
  • Dark Pattern (The Naturalist, #4)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Song for a Whale
  • White Bird
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • Rusty Brown
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo