Start by marking “Queen of the Conquered” as Want to Read:

Queen of the Conquered

An ambitious young woman with the power to control minds seeks vengeance against the royals who murdered her family, in a Caribbean-inspired fantasy world embattled by colonial oppression.

Sigourney Rose is the only surviving daughter of a noble lineage on the islands of Hans Lollik. When she was a child, her family was murdered by the islands’ colonizers, who have massac
Published November 12th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Queen of the Conquered, please sign up.
Aryn The way I understood it, after doing some digging on the same question myself is this: Their name is Kacen. Kheryn is their dead name, I believe.…moreThe way I understood it, after doing some digging on the same question myself is this: Their name is Kacen. Kheryn is their dead name, I believe. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)(less)

Start your review of Queen of the Conquered
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 13, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Shelves: from-publisher
I feel like this particular snake is making an appearance on all my highly anticipated SFF novels of 2019, and I'm not mad about it.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Angelica
Jun 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
At this point, I'm just gonna add every book with this snake on the cover. It's the exact same snake and all the books sound oh so good!
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
"Focus on yourself and your ambitions and soon you'll find that you care not what a single person thinks."
AJ
Apr 06, 2019 marked it as arc-to-read
Not only is this a gorgeous but this book is about the colonisation of the Caribbean????! I am here for any book where colonisers are the villains!
Kelsey
Apr 04, 2019 is currently reading it
ARC received!! Can't wait to get started on this one!!

description

[November expiry!]
Allison Thwaites
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Big thanks to Paola Crespo at Orbit Books for sending me a free ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Earlier this year I said wasn't going to read anymore slavery books because I am tired of the sufferation. Lies, all lies. I will read slavery books if they are written like this. The colonisers are the villains and I'm not being asked to feel sorry for them or try and understand them? Yes please.

This was such a compelling story, one where I was absorbed right
Janday
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cinematic as h*ck.

I read an early unedited manuscript that I obtained as an employee of Hachette Book Group. Full review closer to pub date.
Kacen Callender
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Thanks for visiting the GR page of QUEEN OF THE CONQUERED! I'm incredibly proud of this book for its unique look at a badass yet morally gray main character and for its "brutal yet beautiful" Caribbean-inspired setting. I love this book, but don't take just my word for it! QUEEN OF THE CONQUERED has two starred reviews, one from Kirkus and another from Library Journal, and it also has a plethora of amazing quotes from fellow authors:

"A brilliant analysis of power and privilege set ag
Megan
Wow. Where to begin?

On the off chance you've read Gideon the Ninth, you'll find this very similar, in that you get a group of nobles gathered in an isolated location who fight to the death to see who will inherit the crown. Just replace necromancers with psychics. Otherwise, picture Game of Thrones, but everyone's trapped on the Iron Islands and has limited armies.

Technically this book is fantasy, as it takes place in an imaginary country, and has magic. But really, this book v
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Apr 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019
oh HELLLLLLLL yas to that cover
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco

Stars: ⭐⭐

Disclaimer: The amazing humans at Hachette Book Group Canada were kind enough to send me an arc of Queen of the Conquered in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.

“Burning fields, charred houses, slaughtered people. This is my legacy.”

I am so sad. I wanted to love this book so much! But alas, I did not. I think the writing style was just not for me. It might be for you though!

Queen of the Conquered is about Sigourney Rose, a woman whose family was murdered when she was young and who is now seeking revenge on thethough!
Queenown.
Caroline 💞🐉
Oct 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, new-adult
DNF... the plot drags, the characters are bland and boring, and the world building is so intense i feel like it’s all we focus on.
Margaret
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a rich and interesting fantasy, unlike any I've ever read. It's a second world fantasy based on the colonization and enslavement of the Carribean islands and its peoples. It looks at how the mentality of the conquerers can become embedded into belief systems, and how difficult it is to fight against biases you're raised into. It's absolutely fascinating and incredibly dark. It sometimes got repetitive, but this is a must-read epic fantasy for 2019.
Leah Rachel von Essen
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Queen of the Conquered by Kacen Callender features a lush, cinematic, violent world. In their adult fantasy debut, Callender writes of a Caribbean-inspired land where kongeligs (nobles) war, feud, and kill for power, ruling over enslaved islanders and quelling rebellions. Sigourney Rose is a black islander, but she is also a kongelig. When she was young, the leaders of this place killed her entire family: she hopes to take the throne using her kraft of mind reading and control, and get revenge o ...more
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks. Thank you to Orbit for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Queen of the Conquered is a fearless new addition to the SFF world, tackling issues such as salvery, colonialism, and the structures that perpetuate bigotry from within. Kacen Callender, formerly known as and published under Kheryn Callender, doesn’t flinch and holds no punches as he discusses these issues in a gritty, hands-on manner. He does not sh
Lorraine (Reading With Lori)
Ok...the cover is GORGEOUS. I didn’t finish reading half of the first sentence and I’m SCREAMING. I NEED THIS.
Yanique Gillana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
So disappointing...

Characters: 1
Setting: 1
World Building: 0
Plot: 2
Language: 2

I am grateful to Orbit for sending me an advanced copy of this book, because I specifically requested it with high hopes and confidence in their publishing selections. With that said, I was thoroughly shocked and disappointed. This is another one of those instances where I have to say that I believe a book is objectively bad. Even when I dislike a book, I can usually f/>1.2
Deedi (DeediReads) Brown
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
All my reviews live at https://deedispeaking.com/reads/.

Big thanks to Orbit, who provided ARCs of this book at BookCon this past June! It will be published on November 12.

First of all, give me alllllll the fantasy novels written by non-binary people of color about slaves revolting against colonizers using badass magic and decade-long revenge plots. YES MORE OF THIS PLEASE.

The main character is Sigourney Rose (although she ends up with several last names throughout the book), and she’s the last surviving me
Lydia Rogue
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating exploration of privilege and the nature of power. A heavy book that reminded me in many ways of An Unkindness of Ghosts. I loved the world and the magic system. It's one of those books I want to go back and reread eventually now that I know how it ends and see what I pick up on the second read-through that I missed the first time through.

ARC courtesy of the publisher.
Lucy
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
For those looking for fantasy in a diverse setting, Callender has created an alternative colonial Caribbean world with a unique brand of magic
Carly DaSilva
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super interesting and gripping right up until the very end—my sister called me while I was finishing the last few pages and I had to tell her to call me after I was done because I had to know exactly how it ended.

There were some moments in the writing that I found repetitive to the point where it pulled me out of the story, but I was also super impressed by all of the dream sequences in this book and the depictions of memories. Dreams can be difficult to portray in a way that’s belie
Melissa Anderson
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recieved an ARC of this novel from Hachette Book Group for an honest review.

So, I loved Queen of the Conquereìd. I have only given it 4 stars instead of 5 because it took me awhile to really connect with the story. The writing didn't flow for me, but only at first. Once the story picked up I really connected and devoured the book. Sigourney Rose is such a strong character. Her grief and need for vengence against the ruling elite, who killed her family, drive this story. The twists
Meghan
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I received this book as an ARC from Orbit Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I really did enjoy this book mostly because the main heroine's name was Sigourney and you don't hear that name often. The story line and characters were very captivating but at first I could not grasp the main idea and the direction the author was going until midway through the book and when it started to pick up, I could not stop
BeeWitchedShelves
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───Synopsis:
Sigourney Rose is the sole survivor of the massacre that killed her entire family when colonizers came to take over her islands. With the power of her noble family, and her status as the only free Islander Sigourney plots a plan to take down the other Islands’ Nobilities and take the crown for herself.Balancing between the hate of the colonizers and the hate from her people after being marked as a traitor she will have to use her powers to force her hand
Weekend Reader_
Really 3.5 stars. The ending made the difference.

Key words
Fjern white
Islanders black
Kongelig royal lineage Title Elskerinde

Main character
Sigourney Rose birth name
Lund took cousins sir name
Jannik married name

Hans Lollik becomes a closed circuit mystery where many of the kongelig vying for regency are ending up dead.

The story is centered on the othering of Sigourney because by blood she can be queen but she is also a descendant of slave
Lauren James  (storied.adventures)
Full review on my blog, Storied Adventures

*I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Likes: The world, the magic, the story itself, the ending.

Dislikes: The word 'Hate' is used every other page. I get it. They hate the MC the MC hates them. It was very repetitive. I did not like Sigourney at all. She acted like she was the good guy because she is an islander and she's a better slave master than the pale skinned Fjern and she feels guilty when she KILLS her
Hannah
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I appreciate the creative setting of this book even as it tied in the effects of colonization in a way that is clearly drawn from real history. I also loved the last 20 pages or so and thought that the characters/plots exposed in that should have been the main plot of the book. Queen of the Conquered unfortunately also really dragged for me. It took a couple weeks for me to read it even though it's fairly short, and I found myself eager to do just about anything else. I kept hoping that the pace would pi ...more
Tiffani Reads
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have not had a book be so difficult to read since I read Wuthering Heights and I disliked this book as much as I disliked that one as well.

It’s hard to root for a character who hates herself, constantly thinks about how much she hates herself, and does despicable things to the people she is supposedly trying to free.

I had the plot twist figured out for this book a third of the way into reading it and I just wanted it to be over but it was just so slow to read. I’m not normally a slow reader
Diana J
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very beautiful and intense book. There's a lot of pain and anger. I really loved the lush world. Sigourney Rose is one of the most dynamic and complicated characters I've ever seen. The plot was a slow burn that reminded me a lot of classic historical novels. I was surprised by how literary this was in fact. I was surprised by the twist at the end, but it also made the most sense. Absolutely think this is a must-read.
karen
Nov 06, 2019 is currently reading it

pause for now. fifty pages in and it's not grabbing me yet, or i'm not *getting* it yet, but the writing style is uneven and the too-many typos in the ARC are distracting and i have too much to read right now to handle a slow-pacer, so imma zoom through some less-demanding books and circle back, maybe continuing with a finished copy.

I WILL RETURN!!!