Start by marking “Citizen 865: The Hunt for Hitler's Hidden Soldiers in America” as Want to Read:
Citizen 865: The Hunt for Hitler's Hidden Soldiers in America

Citizen 865: The Hunt for Hitler's Hidden Soldiers in America

The gripping story of a team of Nazi hunters at the U.S. Department of Justice as they raced against time to expose members of a brutal SS killing force who disappeared in America after World War Two.
In 1990, in a drafty basement archive in Prague, two American historians made a startling discovery: a Nazi roster from 1945 that no Western investigator had ever seen. The
Published November 12th 2019 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Citizen 865, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Citizen 865

Start your review of Citizen 865: The Hunt for Hitler's Hidden Soldiers in America
Paige
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Written in third person narrative, this might not be everyone’s preferred nonfiction writing style. It extends beyond the facts that cling to the title to explain the weather that day, what the person looked like, and other details that some nonfiction readers might not find pertinent to the main content. Before the book begins, the author explains in the Author’s Note that most of the dialogue and wartime journeys have been “reconstructed” by her through documents and interviews; the ...more
Lauren
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I was a history major in college and have always been interested particularly in both American and WWII history. But I had never heard of the subject of this book: the Trawniki men, and the decades-later quest of the Department of Justice to deport Trawniki men living on U.S. soil. The Trawniki men were a (purposefully) little-known group of Eastern European prisoners of war who the Nazis identified as perfect candidates to be the "foot soldiers of the Final Solution." They were trained at a ...more
Sue Kelso
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself well read and knowledgeable about world events and government affairs. I never knew there was a branch of the government that their sole goal was to hunt down Nazi's that lied their way into the US.

After the war our Congress passed the Displaced Persons Act to allow in refugees from WW2. (Side note-can you imagine our current Senate having the guts to do this now?). Nazi's falsified their backgrounds to become US Citizens.
The OSI in their research found a training camp for
Daniel Sepúlveda
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Puntaje: 3.2 Estrellas.

Primero que todo, muchas gracias a Hachette por la copia digital de este libro!

Citizen 865 es un libro de no ficcion en el que la autora nos relata la historia de un grupo de investigadores estadounidenses que tienen como mision desenmascarar a antiguos miembros del movimiento Nazi que llegaron a Estados Unidos despues de la guerra con una nueva identidad para no pagar por los crimenes y las atrocidades que cometieron.

La verdad este libro me abrio los ojos a una realidad
Ionia
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely worth the time to read. Even if you are not a history buff or interested in WWII, this book will likely be interesting enough to hold your attention for the duration.

There have been many news stories in recent memory and even a few documentaries about Nazi participants being found in the US, but this was the first time that I really felt like I could understand how they were searched out and why, after so many years, they were still able to be confronted with the past and tried at
Abby
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would rate this book a solid 4-1/2 stars! Excellent read! I thought I was up on my Holocaust history, but this book definitely showed me that I was totally wrong! The author did an exceptional job in researching this book! She brought to light the daily struggles of the Jews during the 40's and the hardship they endured in the name of survival and freedom ... also, the three decades of dedication from the men and woman of the OSI who worked hard to bring these perpetrators to justice, so that ...more
Lyndi
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2019
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
More than thirty years after the end of WWII, a new criminal division was created in the Department of Justice to track, expose, and deport Nazi war criminals living secretly in America. Peter Black recruited to this Office of Special Investigations, and while researching he finds references to Trawniki, a center built to train new recruits in the deportation and extermination
Pamela Rubin
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The brutal reality and unspeakable atrocities of the Holocaust take on a new dimension in Citizen 865. Written with meticulous detail, Cenziper weaves a story of love and survival while revealing what a relentlessly dedicated group of historians unearthed in their search for justice. Shocking revelations remind us, especially now, how we must never be complacent about anyone, anywhere who does not honor our shared humanity. Truly couldn't put this book down.
Michael Rubin
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a WW II buff and have read countless books on the subject but this one is different. Cenziper's book is about people -- a couple that miraculously survives the war; the Nazi-hunters in the DoJ who persevered despite coming under attack themselves; and the Nazis who settled here in plain sight. It is an incredible story, wonderfully told and I can't wait for the movie.
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Citizen 865 by author Debbie Cenziper is a great crime/history novel with plenty of thrill! I loved reading this, it wasn’t complicated to read and was a great paced. Definitely recommend, history isn’t my usual genre but this book did not disappoint!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Paul Vogelzang
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know about any of this, the Trawniki men. Fascinating. Transparency: I interviewed investigative journalist, Debbie Cenziper for Smithsonian (Cenziper is a wonderful interview!), and the publisher shared the book with me. However, this is an important, excellent book.
Christina Miranda
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Citizen 865 was a fantastic read. The layout of the book was a tad bit difficult to follow at times but the overall story was wonderfully written. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.
Victoria (RedsCat)
Dec 08, 2019
Chris
Nov 21, 2019

• In the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Westering Women
  • Universal Love
  • Shatter the Nations: ISIS and the War for the Caliphate
  • Black Rock Bay
  • 999: The Extraordinary Young Women of the First Official Jewish Transport to Auschwitz
  • The German House
  • Midnight Chicken: & Other Recipes Worth Living For
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
  • Mr. Nobody
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • The God Game