Start by marking “Hurricanes: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Hurricanes: A Memoir

Hurricanes: A Memoir

“A gripping journey.”—People

The highly anticipated memoir from hip-hop icon Rick Ross chronicles his coming of age amid Miami’s crack epidemic, his star-studded controversies and his unstoppable rise to fame.

Rick Ross is an indomitable presence in the music industry, but few people know his full story. Now, for the first time, Ross offers a vivid, dramatic and unexpectedly
Published September 3rd 2019 by Hanover Square Press

Start your review of Hurricanes: A Memoir
Brandice
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Hurricanes: A Memoir is rapper Rick Ross’s story. I liked his music when I was in college and he was (in my opinion) at the height of his prime, though this was early on in his career. It took him a decade to truly “make it” in the music business - Now known as Rick Ross the Boss, The Teflon Don, Rozay, his songs synonymous with the “Maybach Music” intro sounds.

With the amount of memoirs I read, I feel it’s fair to say this wasn’t my favorite or the most interesting story about rising to the
Kiera
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you’re a hip hop fan or a Rick Ross fan, this book will grab your attention and pull you in. It’s a very real tale about someone who faced extremely difficult circumstances and found ways (both legal and illegal) to rise above the statistics. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a great look into Rick Ross and how he got his start.
Yesenia Juarez
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love memoirs, the narrator on this book was amazing and made this story so much better!
Monica T
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Page Turner!!!! It should be a screenplay for a movie!
It gave me so much insight. He told stories , that I had no idea!
It is a story of never giving up and wait your turn!
Tim O'Hearn
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's... really hard to like Rick Ross as a person. Forging a sinister and aloof persona used to come with the benefit of not having to spend much time working on public relations. Times, as you're aware, have changed.

To summarize why this guy needed 288 pages to set the record straight:

1. He was a correctional officer for 18 months and denied it when it was dug up.
2. He rapped about drugging a female's drink in 2013 when #MeToo was gaining steam.
3. During an interview, he made a comment that a
Camisha Maze
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoever wrote this book for him did an amazing job! This book was awesome from front to back and I wanted more! If you are a fan you will love it! I listened to the audiobook and the man that read this is definitely a fan! The way he read this kept me engaged from the beginning to end! I would love to see a movie of Rozays life!
Julia
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anxiously awaited the release of this memoir and I was not disappointed. The ease at which I read this book was refresh. It was like having a conversation with Rick Ross. He's charismatic, witty and very intelligent. This look at his life--the good, the bad, the sad, the triumphant--was a gift. Aided by the same co-author that penned Gucci Mane's story, Rick Ross gave a glimpse into the world of Rozay!
LeeTravelGoddess
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tops
The Biggest Boss that I’ve seen this far! . I love Ricky Rozay & I believe the rest of the world does as well because he has stood the test of time. I enjoyed the memoir although the beginning started a tad dark. There were in fact things that I had never known but there was never a moment when I thought Young Renzel was a fraud or fake. I’m mad 50 got more play in this AutoBio than he should have, but I get it... he sealed his own fate LMAO!!

I was also thrilled to learn things about other
Taneka
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not know that The Boss had a memoir out. That is how much I am out of the loop with pop culture. I barely even watch TV. I loved this memoir. I think that many of the music artists should put out a memoir/biography. Would have been nice if he had read for the audio, and even better if the actual performer knew Ross' music and gave the rap lyrics justice. But all in all it was a good read.
Nadine
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I am apathetic about Ross or his career, but the book isn’t long and the narrator was fine, so without many distractions, I finished this book handily. I now know a bit about the modern hip hop scene and some details about all those names Wendy Williams et al drop. I like memoirs and I do admire Ross’s ambition and success. I don’t admire his passion for gaudy display of wealth, but I suppose he can’t help being who he is. I will seek out his music and through that likely get to know the man or ...more
Adam
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, I learned Rick ross is hungry and has a big picture view of what he wants in his life. I read a lot of books on wealth building generation but none to strike a chord "pun intended" like Ross non apologetically hankering for boss status.

Things my ear picked up on

What makes me a boss isn't the stories I tell, it's the ones I don't
What unspoken words are there between us?
Had the presence of mind to manage the situation
I want more out of more
If it's not a long term play then it's
Byron
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the more amusing as-told-to rap memoirs that I've read, which is saying something. It's worth a look just to see how he weasels his way out of discussing having once been a cop. I'd bump this up another star if there was more discussion of his love of seafood.
Nada
This is strictly for Rick's fans and I'm not so I was bored out of my mind and couldn't wait to get done with it.
Kelvin Mafuleka
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring read. I read it in one sitting because its such a great story about Rick Ross upbringing during the crack epidermic in Miami to becoming one of Hip Hops biggest moguls. I highly recommend it for everyone especially Hip Hop fans. Im happy he decided to write his life in a book because a movie wouldnt do his story much justice. But if theres one in production I would love to watch it.
Dustin Griffin
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music-bios, hip-hop
4.5 Stars.

"What makes me a boss is not the stories that I tell. It's the ones that I don't."

A fascinating and binge worthy account of a dark and successful life.
Jay Sellers
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fat Boys Crushin' was the first tape I remember buying with my own money. I was 10 when it came out in May of 1987 and the summer was about to open up to new sounds. Doug E. Fresh, LL Cool J, RunDMC, Public Enemy...somehow my parents tolerated the music blaring out of my room. They probably thought it was just a phase since the rest of my Case-Logic was full of classic rock tapes like Led Zeppelin and Molly Hatchet sandwiched in with the Beatles and Elvis. Kids these days don't really know what ...more
Colin Baumgartner
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This read much as expected. I did appreciate the sections on Ross’ childhood and his regret that he couldn’t express his love for his father before his father died. A light read that adds at least some background to the songs I enjoy by the guy.
Jeff Jaskolka
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The life of rapper Rick Ross was very well told in this book. I would of gave it 5 stars but I felt it was missing something after I finished it. Despite this, it's still a great story and gives you better perspective of this man as a person and not as the rapper he is. It also makes you completely forget that he worked as a C.O.
Jesse
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Bawse! Let me start by confessing to be a big fan of the music of Rick Ross. The Teflon Don album is one of my favorites of all time. His verses on “Here I am” and “Rockin’ That Thang” (“Fresh as a Black President, Air Force Ones in the Air Force One!”) make me smile every time. I’m not as big a fan of his more recent albums, but anyone that’s dropped a classic has earned love.

Also, any man that goes topless as much as he does in videos and out in public has the kind of confidence you have to
Brittany
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
When we see people on TV, it’s like looking at the tip of the iceberg. There’s so much more to people than what meets the eye, and to me, a good memoir will take you beneath the surface of person’s life and show us the depths of who they are by exploring where they come from and the private battles they faced behind the scenes while we were just viewing what made it on the screen. While I don’t think this memoir dove into super deep waters, it did provide a decent level of detail into Rick’s ...more
Carey Calvert
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Midnight or 1 in the morning, so many summers ago; hazy from the smoke and dark because you didn't really want to know where you were; I could see in her eyes a hint of recognition - this is how I remember the first time I heard Everyday I'm Hustlin', in a seedy club in a hood left behind ... but everyone ran to the dance floor.

At least on this night there weren't any gunshots.

In Hurricanes (because there are some storms you never see coming), Ricky Rozay came to spit that real gangsta.
Yochi
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Finishing this was brutal. As I listened to this book I jotted a few words down.

Immature. Bully. Full of himself. Childish. Arrogant.

This was a random suggestion from my library. I listened to a lot of hip hop in the 90s, but tapered off in the early 2000s as I felt it was too commercialized and manufactured. Rick Ross came into fame during that time and the glowing reviews of this audiobook intrigued me to learn a little bit about this artist.

Talk about manufactured!!! I couldn't believe the
Joe Cosentino
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG-outrageous, rip-roariously funny, and ice-cold, this is a great read for fans of Ricky Rozay. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical going in, but I had so much fun reading this. There are passages in this memoir that are so clearly and classically Rick Ross that no one else in the world could've written them, so either the co-author is a wunderkind or The Boss had his paws all over this one.

My upbringing is admittedly very far removed from the streets of Carol City so it is hard for me to
Davion Rosser
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rick Ross memoir was captivating and engaging. It really allowed me to peak into the mind of Rick Ross and his Boss mindset. It takes you down the highs and the lows and really shows you why for him everything will be Deeper Than Rap. I appreciate the amount of transparency and vulnerability that Ross was able to give us with this book. I can tell that he told us everything that he could without Crossing The Line. I enjoyed reading this book and while reading the lyrics in the book I ...more
George
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Without being a huge Rick Ross fan, this book didn't have a lot to offer me. I've enjoyed autobiographies/memoirs by musicians whose music wasn't my favorite (Marilyn Manson) but this lacked the structure and stories to make it a good read.

The beginning was interesting as it detailed his early life and Miami during the crack era of the 80s. However, once he got to the point in the book where he was successful in the music industry every chapter was a rundown of a different album he made followed
Bella
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rick Ross was born named William Leonard Roberts. He starts writing about his childhood, his parents and their transition to Miami. Ross met a lot of people on the way to his musical career. But, it took 10 years for him to catch his break. Along the way of his musical career he went through a lot of issues with the law, got caught up with guns and drugs, and of course hung around the wrong type of people. I mean the music industry in itself can be a pretty shady business just like anything out ...more
Jim Mueller
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very very entertaining. A must read

I love rap music. But, for some reason I didn't know who Rick Ross was. Lol. I told my two boys that they needed to read this book by Rick Ross, it's amazing. You ever heard of him, I asked. They both looked at me like I was a mental patient. Dad, "for real, of course we've heard of Rick Ross " . I love the boo's honesty, I love the fact that he a grinder, an entrepreneur, and down deep, reading between the lines, he has a heart full of good. Definitely a MUST
Arrington (agirlandher_books) Moore
Going into this I did not know much about Rick Ross' personal life. I knew I had grown up listening & loving his music. Songs like Hustlin', The Boss, Blowin' Money Fast...just to touch on a few. So, when I saw Hurricanes I knew I had to pick it up & I am so glad that I did.

I loved reading about how he rose through the ranks as well as other rap stars. I enjoyed learning about his life growing up in Florida to the making of all his hit albums as well as some of his run ins with the law.
Jonathan Johnson
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book
I have yet to read an autobiography of someone who has lasted long in the rap game who was a bum growing up
Rick Ross is the same
His mother was a manager of nurses and his father was a college professor
Rick Ross was not a fan of school but he put his work in the places he wanted to see returns
It’s crazy how many long term plays he was making from a young age when most people in his situation who were in his situation and hanging around the streets were looking for quick money
Keys to
Jordan
Renzel Ravioli's endearing and fairly raw account of finding persistence to meet challenges through adversity, and yielding success through resiliency. Fear also proved a key motivator, after his first hit single Hustlin in 2006 he was so afraid of being a one-hit wonder, he spent something like 8 months perfecting Port of Miami which proved to be a critical hit.

Interestingly, his dad was at one time a software developer for IBM in NYC. Also pretty cool to find one of Ross's songs with Eric
« previous 1 3 next »

• Diamond Doris: The True Story of the World's Most Notorious Jewel Thief
  • On Time: A Princely Life in Funk
  • Tinaca Jones
  • IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD
“Success comes from saying “Fuck it. I ain’t through just yet” and then giving it another go. Resiliency is what breeds success.” 1 likes