Start by marking “Little Weirds” as Want to Read:
Little Weirds

Little Weirds

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  12,423 ratings  ·  2,171 reviews
Hello and welcome to my book. Inside you will find:

× The smell of honeysuckle
× Heartbreak
× A French-kissing rabbit
× A haunted house
× Death
× A vagina singing sad old songs
× Young geraniums in an ancient castle
× Birth
× A dog who appears in dreams as a spiritual guide
× Divorce
× Electromagnetic energy fields
× Emotional horniness
× The ghost of a sea captain
× And more

I hope you
Published November 5th 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

·  12,423 ratings  ·  2,171 reviews

Start your review of Little Weirds
emma
i posted this full review / jenny slate lovefest on my blog!! link: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

----------------

I love Jenny Slate.

I love her so much that I knew if this book even made me think about her, I’d be a fan, but it did way more than that. I felt like I was in what appears to be the single most magical non-fictional place in all the world: inside Jenny Slate’s brain.

If you have so much as watched an interview of hers, it’s immediately clear that she sees the world in a way
Maxwell
When I picked up a copy of this book it came with a tiny acorn that I nestled behind my sternum. With each page I turned and each word I read, it watered the acorn which eventually started to grow. Little sprouts kicked out of each side of its hard, brown shell and wrapped their tender arms around my heart and gave my lungs a big hug. Eventually it grew limbs that spread down through the cavity of my chest, leaves pressing to fight their way out through my skin and reach the sun. I felt a branch ...more
Samantha
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful experience on audio, which the author reads. I had no prior experience with Jenny Slate before this, but she seems like a weird delight who GETS IT. I’d like to have brunch with her.
Mari
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Why you might not like this book: It's weird. It is strange and rambling and exudes a certain kind of earnest energy I can see rubbing some people the wrong way. It is part collection of essays and part memoir and part micro fiction all at once.

Why I loved this book: While reading this, I felt like I was having competing experiences: it was both surreal and heartbreakingly, achingly real. It was magical realism and non-fiction. It was at times so bright and hopeful and at times all of my saddes
Portia
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
LITTLE WEIRDS by Jenny Slate was a case of the book not living up to the beautiful cover.

I’m a fan of Jenny Slate’s so I was really excited when a galley of her new book came in. And then I was so disappointed by the content. This feels like a book that is trying way to hard to be literary and special. It is incredibly overwritten, filled mostly with confusing metaphors and I found myself getting to the end of each piece feeling empty. What she is trying to say gets so lost behind the language s
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
The case of 'little weird' being a tad too weird.
And that vagina was really singing. And dancing. Kidding.

We start at 5 stars:
-> (-1 star) The miraculous singing vagina.
Q:
I Died: The Sad Songs of My Vagina …
My vagina never sang the Andrews Sisters, like it could have. It didn’t even croon out any Perry Como. It was just Jo Stafford “Keep It a Secret” and sometimes it sang “Ghost Town” in a minor key, with a lot of snark. (c)

-> A very bad case of poor understanding of history (-1 star):
Q:
The Cod
Janday
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting, and was transformed. Yes, I had a transformative experience while in the middle seat of an American Airlines red-eye. This is nonfiction magical realism. Jenny is my witch godmother and this is her spellbook. Jenny’s magic is reaching into the multiverse of her heart, gripping an emotion and pulling it into reality. Emotion-magic is a croissant who makes a wish, a castle named Karen, a dog with flowers on his face. Weird and wonderful and full of discovery, this ...more
Scott
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
"At the premiere screening [of the film '2001: A Space Odyssey'], 241 people walked out of the theater, including [movie star] Rock Hudson, who said 'Will someone please tell me what the hell this is about?'" -- from the IMDb trivia page

The anecdote about Mr. Hudson's frustration popped into my head as I struggled to finish Little Weirds. Actress Jenny Slate's collection of essays seemed way too rambling and/or self-indulgent, and containing absolutely zero "unexpected laughs," although actress
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Looky looky – it’s the annual “Kelly Actually Posts a Review of a Book on #pubday” post!

I don’t really know if Little Weirds will work for everyone, but boy oh boy did it work for me. To begin with, let’s take a gander at the cover . . . .

Oh, it’s just so perfect. And the insides pretty much match the outside. It’s just a jumble of truly “little weirds” conjured up by Jenny Slate’s oddball brain. (Spoiler alert: I had no clue she
Imane
Dec 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Too quirky and corny for my tastes. The authorial voice is grating and the run-on sentences were excruciating. From time to time, here and there, something meaningful popped up, but it was soon drowned under a tsunami of self-indulgent monologues toeing the line between fact and fantasy.
At the end of the day I can't blame the author for her idiosyncrasies but I'm not entirely convinced that I am pre-disposed genetically to ever appreciate this type of work.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Does anyone have a more distinct voice than Jenny Slate? This book of what I will call micro essays (micro memoir?) discuss a lot of topics from small observations, relationships and dating, silliness, feminism, and childhood. My absolute favorite is the one where she died listening.

Thanks to the publisher for giving me access through Edelweiss. It comes out November 5, 2019.
Billie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am I old or is Jenny Slate a lot? Or is it both? Maybe it's both. Whatever it was, this book fucking exhausted me.
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
Seriously, what did I just read??

This book was terrible. I went into it knowing it was just essays, but I still thought it was be really good because Jenny Slate is talented and hilarious. You could never have guessed that by reading this rambling nonsense.

Everything was a metaphor, she used a ton of imagery and this descriptive/flowery writing that bordered on poetry.

Her essay "I Died: Listening" was the only shining star in this whole book.
Jenny
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Jesus Christ, this is overwritten, overwrought trash. Take every stereotype you’ve ever heard about millennials, mix them all together, throw them at a wall, and you’ve got a book! Wahhhh, my boyfriend broke up with me, wahhhh my big house in Massachusetts, wahhhh my private tennis court.... Ugh. I’ve read more insightful word vomit on Thought Catalog. Could not make it past the first quarter of the book. Absolutely tone deaf and insipid. This is the worst thing I’ve ever read. I’m embarrassed f ...more
Claire Reads Books
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jenny Slate has such an earnest and pure and sometimes daffy worldview – read cynically, I can see this book setting off many an eye-roll, but if you take it in with an open heart, it is, for the most part, full of generosity and vulnerability, particularly regarding heartbreak, loneliness, wanting, love, and getting older.
Amber
2.5⭐️

Not really my cup of tea. It’s surreal and not what I expected. It’s not bad it just wasn’t really something I necessarily enjoyed or learned much from.

There were some really interesting lines and ideas in here, but also a lot of “nonsense.” In quotations because it was nonsense to me and may not be so for others.
Fatma
"Look! Look at this woman who is both the emergency and the relief. Let me be both (I have no choice.) Give in. Fall apart. Look at the pieces. Reassemble. This is the essential movement of my holy flux."

this book is the best friend that gives u a big, long hug and tells u that everything's gonna be okay but also tells u to get dressed, get out of ur house, and get ur shit together. i loved it.

It feels like Jenny Slate wrung her soul out into this book. And what a weird, beautiful li
Suzanne
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to be Jenny Slate’s best friend. Funny and entertaining read! Enjoyed reading this little book of essays so much. They were so amusing. The sandwich dream had me laughing. Just the thought of it! 🤣

This is a quick read and I highly recommend reading it.
Lauren Hopkins
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book you're either going to fall in love with, or absolutely hate. At first, I thought I'd side with hate. A few sentences in, I was like god this is so flowery and pretentious, just say what you're trying to say!!! But then I realized this isn't like books that are flowery in a pretentious way, and that flowery is okay if it's genuine and the author's real voice. Every word on every page screams "Jenny Slate wrote me" and this book is so undeniably HER that it CAN'T be pretentious, be ...more
Cindy Holland
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was so looking forward to this book but I guess in book form the narcissism gets super grating. Her prose can be lovely but really needs to vary the subject matter to anything other than herself. Sorry to be a hater....
Krista Regester
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jenny Slate's mind is like a dreamscape, one that we will never predict or need to.
Cortney
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Memoir? Poetry? Musings? Daydreams?
Maybe a little bit of everything. It was amusing and weird. I felt like I was watching a one woman stage play.
Courtney Toderash
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I already appreciated Jenny Slate. I had my ideal version of a night out seeing her perform a few years ago. I walked away from her stand up performance feeling light and airy and ready to act and honour myself, which doesn’t necessarily happen to me after a night of comedy. In the aftermath I saw the woman I am (and maybe I want to be?!) more clearly.

Her book is a continuation of that feeling. Reading something that doesn’t shy away from naked talk of love (even going as far as expressing the
Laudan
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
Jenny Slate > Little Weirds.
First I'd like to say that I really like Jenny Slate and her work as an actress and comedian. She's funny, weird and embraces her odd-ballness and that's great. This book, however- is just TOO WEIRD to really get into. I love essays and creativity and symbolism and metaphors and all that fun stuff but this book takes all of those to a whole other level that is just TOO, TOO MUCH to enjoy. I wanted to like this book, I purchased it right away without reading even a sin
Samantha
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A quirky, dreamy take on the memoir genre.

Slate brings her signature oddball humor together with a meandering but articulate written voice that reads like a floaty fever dream.

Though I wish the narrative had skewed more toward self-deprecating than self-indulgent, Slate writes well enough to (mostly) get away with what is essentially a vanity project.

Some of the little weirds are better than others, but on the whole it’s an entertaining little piece of frippery, long enough to establish the me
Alanna Schwartz
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow! Little Weirds has not only served as a source for some of the best writing prompts, but also reminded me that good art can be joyful and silly. Jenny Slate is one of my favourite comedians, but this is far from a comedy biography. This book is such a cathartic examination of the beauty of life even in the face of heart ache or death fear. I started listening to the audiobook and then ordered the hardcover version halfway through because I needed to hold these words in my hands!
Abby Dollarhide
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this bc I thought the initial reviews were impressive and the cover cute, but honestly I hated it lol. Originally I gave it 3 stars bc I was like well I don’t like it, but it is an interesting concept. A little distance and now I’m like damn it was so hard to read... like ugh say something of substance without doing a quirky thing!
Lib
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Gibberish. Absolute waste of time.
miriam
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
“I have always known that I would die for love. I think I am dying while or because of waiting for it. I cannot bear how it feels like a surging throng of beats and yells and gasps inside of my small form.”
Stacie
2.5 stars?

Little Weirds is my first introduction to Slate's work, I've not watched any shows/specials she's been in, so I wasn't really sure what type of humor I was getting myself into. For me, this collection was a disappointment. Some essays were sorta funny, some were introspective, and some gave a new age-y vibe that I wasn't really clicking with.

At the end of the day, the writing style didn't speak to me. I wasn't able to connect to the overall tone of the book. I think this is geared tow

• Wow, No Thank You.
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • The Book of X
  • Girl
  • When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good
  • Doxology
  • The Twenty-Ninth Year
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • In the Dream House
  • The Okay Witch
  • Generation Friends: An Inside Look at the Show That Defined a Television Era
  • Haben: The Deafblind Woman Who Conquered Harvard Law
  • Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl: A Memoir
Jenny Sarah Slate is an American actress, stand-up comedian, and author best known as the creator of the Marcel the Shell With Shoes On short films, which was also spun off into a children's book. She is also known for her season as a cast member on Saturday Night Live from 2009 to 2010, as well as for her recurring roles on House of Lies, Parks and Recreation, Bob's Burgers, and Kroll Show. She m ...more

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the week. To create our...
“I am supposed to be touched. I can’t wait to find the person who will come into the kitchen just to smell my neck and get behind me and hug me and breathe me in and make me turn around and make me kiss his face and put my hands in his hair even with my soapy dishwater drips. I am a lovely woman. Who will come into my kitchen and be hungry for me?” 64 likes
“I am tired of sinking down to a lower place to be with men. I am tired of throwing a tarp over some of my personality so that the shape of my identity suits some gross man a little better for whatever shitty things he needs to do in order to keep his boring identity erect and supreme.” 63 likes