Start by marking “Hush Puppy” as Want to Read:
Hush Puppy

Hush Puppy

(Melanie Travis #6)

Melanie Travis loves her teaching job at Connecticut's elite Howard Academy, where plans are underway for a Spring Pageant to honor the school's fiftieth anniversary. Immersed in the preparations, Melanie is hurrying to retrieve a painting of one of the illustrious co-founders when she comes upon a disturbing scene: Eugene Krebbs, the Academy's elderly caretaker is arguing ...more
Expected publication: November 26th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hush Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush Puppy

caty
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a thing for the Melanie Travis series. Nothing amuses me more than mysteries with an animal theme. If you knew how many Dick Francis novels graced my bookshelves (and how many I long to have there!). This was refreshing though since the mystery revolved around Melanie's real job as a teacher (instead of the usual dog-related crime). I figured out the baddy pretty quick, but I still enjoyed finding out the motive. Berenson has enough plot twists to keep you reading and Melanie's a quirky a ...more
Kristin
I might have read one of Berenson's books in the past, but I don't recall the characters, so perhaps not. This is one is in the middle of a series featuring Melanie Travis, a teacher and poodle owner who tends to stumble upon trouble. In this book, Travis has accepted a new job as a prestigious private school and is put on the team to help plan the school's first annual spring pageant. In order to do so, the drama teacher who leads the team puts her in charge of researching the history of the sc ...more
Pat
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all the books in the series. Good characters and good mysteries. Set in the dog show world.
Julie
An engaged guy just happens to have never told his fiancee that he was married before, then he tries to act like she's crazy for being bothered by that? Bad fiance. No biscuit!
Dyana
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book moves away from dog show competitions and all that involves to concentrate on Melanie's work place. Melanie Travis is a single mom of one little rambunctious six year old boy named Davey and is a special needs tutor at a prestigious private school named Howard Academy. Russell Hanover, the headmaster, wants to put on a lavish drama production to commemorate the lives of the founding family and the school's 50th anniversary. Melanie and the new drama coach, Michael Durant, are on an ad ...more
Lauretta Farrell
Not the best of Berenson’s work. The main story got a bit of a short shrift due to the unnecessary introduction of a former love interest. The side story could have been further developed into a stand alone novel; perhaps it was, and I just haven’t gotten to it. I would skip this one.
Kelly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solving crimes alongside a reluctant Melani Travis the ever loyal Faith is always fun. If you like cozy mysteries with an animal companion, this book is for you.
Lena H.
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I love this series! This might be my favorite so far.
Shawnee
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Aunt Peg. And Jane.
Eileen
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of her best, I did not suspect this person at all. Great book
Heidi Burkhart
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery in this volume kept me guessing, but I would have liked more story about the dogs and dog shows.
Jen
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Melanie Travis has enough on her plate as a poodle exhibitor, single mother, and special needs tutor at the prestigious Howard Academy without adding amateur sleuthing to the mix. When school care-taker Mr. Krebbs is discovered stabbed to death with a pitchfork in his tool shed, Melanie is drawn into another mystery. As part of the school pageant committee, Melanie is tasked with searching the academies basement for useful material to recreate the school’s founding for the 50th Anniversary celeb ...more
DAISY DISNEY
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
What an adorable read this was!! I think I found a new cozy favorite series! I loved the dog element the story has. I really LOVED the dog treat recipe provided at the end of the book. I can't wait to try this on Pumba soon! :)

There was a lot going on in this book so there was never a dull moment. Melanie is teaching at a school where the school's groundskepper is found murdered. Suspicion quickly falls to the person that reported seeing his dead body. But there is more behind the murder and the
Emily Cullen
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Travis teaches at an elite private school and when the school's caretaker is found stabbed to death, Melanie finds herself drawn to investigate. She also wants to find out who the little girl is who is hanging around the school. The closer Melanie gets to the truth the more danger she faces. I love the Melanie Travis cozy mystery series. Melanie also shows her Standard poodle, so there is some dog show activities going on in every book. Melanie is likable and so are the supporting charac ...more
Nola Arganbright
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
A very good cozy mystery. A Melanie Travis Mystery. Melanie is a teacher at a prestigious private school. She is also a single mom and has a standard poodle named Faith that she shows.
Tis is a great book. There are so many different avenues that the story covers. There is mystery, history, dog show information, ghosts, danger and murder. I was quite engrossed in the story all the way through. I would put it down and find myself picking it back up a few minutes later.
I really enjoyed the moveme
Sarahanne
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series, in general. This book was one of my favorites. I love how much life & energy all the characters have - even the incidental bystanders. It makes the whole idea of Melanie solving these mysteries quite plausible. Because the books contain such details, Melanie is able to pay attention to the details.

I have the audio companion to this book & enjoy the narrator. I'm not distracted by the different voices, but I enjoy Aunt Peg & Davy - she captures their character wel
Sharon
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book so far in the series. While I like hearing about the dog shows, I prefer a few details over many. This book focused more on the mystery, as well as Melanie's personal life. I hope, going forward, the other books will be similar to this one, and not get bogged down in dog breeding details.
Stephanie
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Melanie Travis books. Not only is the mystery good in each, I have learned the ins and outs of dog show. This particular book did not have as much on the dog show, but the action is great.
Kathy
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its like watching a tv series that you really enjoy. The next murder to solve and the relationships keep moving forward. Always, a quick read and just nice stories. What I like to refer to as good hammock reading.
Cindy
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a bit slow for me but all the dog info was really interesting. It was the first book by this author I have read and I amy try a couple more, just to make sure I'm not missing something.
Nonie
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging story about dog show folks involved in a mystery…but the dialogue was sometimes in-genuine and the characters seemed very one sided to me. However, I must admit I kept turning pages to find out 'who done it.'
Darinda
The 6th book in the Melanie Travis mystery series by Laurien Berenson. Melanie is amateur sleuth to a murder mystery involving the school where she teaches. Along the way, she's juggling her dog showing hobby and family life. A light cozy mystery.
Cathy
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
B; still fun even though I'm somewhat hopping around the series. Easy to follow even if you miss a few.
GIZMO
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just a quick note to say that the description shown here is totally incorrect...must be for one of the other books in the series
Michaelbatte
This book was just ok - it doesn't keep you guessing - rather predictable - quick easy read
Ceanne
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. Just what I like for before sleep reading--lite mysteries that don't keep me awake.

I'll read others in this series.
Jeanette
A good mysteryand funny too.
Breanna
I am glad this book went outside of the dog show world and focused on other apects of the character's life. I like when things are mixed up a bit. The characters are very likable.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
decent plot, funny sub plots

• Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-two Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, RUFF JUSTICE.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction fr

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)