Start by marking “Harry Houdini : Young Magician” as Want to Read:
Harry Houdini : Young Magician

Harry Houdini : Young Magician (Childhood of Famous Americans)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A biography of Harry Houdini concentrating on his earlier years and the training that made him a master magician and escape artist.
Published April 30th 1991 by Aladdin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Houdini , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry Houdini

Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who do you know who became one of the most famous people of all time by beginning his childhood only playing with pots and pans? You dont know? Well, I'm glad to tell you because I just recently read a book about someone like this. It is called Harry Houdini: Young Magician, by Kathryn Kilby Borland. As many probably know he was a magician and escape artist. He is not just any magician, he is probably the most famous one. The book is about him and his journey to greatness. He grows up in a small ...more
Laura Verret
Everybody and their dog knows the name of Harry Houdini. But very few know the real story of his life.

His Life.

The man we know of as Harry Houdini began his life with a very different name. Born into a Jewish family, Harry’s real name was Ehrich Weiss and he was the fifth of seven children. At an early age, Harry conceived a fascination with visual illusions; by the age of nine he had performed as a trapeze artist with a traveling circus, and at seventeen he embarked upon his lifelong career.

A m
Oct 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Read this with Cole. The book spent a good deal of time on Ehrich Weiss' childhood, which I think Cole found interesting. After all, the series is about famous people's childhoods. It wasn't a complete biography of Houdini, but I don't think it's meant to be.
Esther May
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
It was interesting to me to find out how much physical strength it takes to do the tricks that Houdini did. Interesting person to learn about.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-biographies
I liked this one. It covers a lot of good themes like hard work, practicing, overcoming obstacles, etc.
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I learned that his real name was Ehric Wiess.
WSL Library
Nov 18, 2013 added it
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Normally I don't like to read biographies but this was great! It told a good story and had a lot of information. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read.
Beth Kaminske
Dec 28, 2009
Aspen Scafa
Jan 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

Childhood of Famous Americans (1 - 10 of 221 books)
  • George Washington: Our First Leader
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Jackie Robinson: Young Sports Trailblazer
  • Robert E. Lee: Young Confederate (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Childhood of Famous Americans
  • Knute Rockne: Young Athlete
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.: Young Man with a Dream (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Crispus Attucks: Black Leader of Colonial Patriots (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • John Fitzgerald Kennedy: America's Youngest President (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Frederick Douglass: Abolitionist Hero (Childhood of Famous Americans)