Start by marking “In an Instant” as Want to Read:
In an Instant

In an Instant

A deeply moving story of carrying on even when it seems impossible.

Life is over in an instant for sixteen-year-old Finn Miller when a devastating car accident tumbles her and ten others over the side of a mountain. Suspended between worlds, she watches helplessly as those she loves struggle to survive.

Impossible choices are made, decisions that leave the survivors
Expected publication: March 1st 2020 by Lake Union Publishing

Availability: 100 copies available, 2243 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Feb 29, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about In an Instant, please sign up.
    Kristen Thanks, Lynda. The dog does not die.…moreThanks, Lynda. The dog does not die. (less)
    Leroy Erickson The point is that Finn's mother and Mrs. Kaminski were viewing things from totally opposite perspectives. Mrs. Kaminski was very sorry that she had…moreThe point is that Finn's mother and Mrs. Kaminski were viewing things from totally opposite perspectives. Mrs. Kaminski was very sorry that she had asked the attendants to destroy the clothes that her daughter Mo was wearing before she knew that they were actually Finn's clothes, not Mo's. She assumed that Finn's mother would want them back. Finn's mother, on the other hand, was going out of her way to get rid of everything that belonged to Finn. It hurt her to see anything that had belonged to her dead child.(less)

Start your review of In an Instant
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Moving, poignant, and ultimately redemptive, In an Instant is an unforgettable tale about grief, mortality, and what it means to be human. I really don't want to say too much about this story, because it would be a grave sin to ruin a perfectly wonderful reading experience for those wishing to pick up the book, but I'll say this: I cried, I sobbed, and I couldn't put this book down. Seriously, I read it in a single sitting. This is a book I won't soon forget, and as a daddy's girl myself, I most ...more
    Debra
    Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In an Instant....thank goodness I had tissues on hand.

In an Instant, lives are changed forever. Sixteen-year-old Finn is dead after a tragic car accident. Finn keeps vigil, watching as those she loves struggle to survive and move on with their lives.

Add me to the list of people who sat down and read this book in one day. Whew! I won’t tell you anything else about the book except that it is a moving, thought provoking look at what loss does to an individual and to a family. The choices and
    Paige
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A tight-nit family along with a few friends go on their annual trip to a secluded cabin that has been passed down for generations. Along the way, they swerve to miss hitting a deer. This instant changes their lives forever and their camper falls below the guardrails on the side of a mountain into the snow. Finn, a sixteen year old, is immediately dead, but does not pass through to her next world. She continues to watch her family through survival, rescue, guilt, and grief.

The chapters are short
    *TUDOR^QUEEN*
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I was invited to choose from several books offered via Amazon's February "First Reads" and downloaded this for free. Before doing so, I read my Goodreads friend Debra's raving review, which confirmed my choice. On the product page for the book in Amazon it cites that readers who enjoyed the book The Lovely Bones would like this. Therefore, it wouldn't be much of a spoiler for me to reveal that the narrator of this story is a teenager of 16 who dies early on in the book. This sudden death sets ...more
    Emer (A Little Haze)
    This was one of the most eerily compelling novels I have read in recent times. I could not put it down for a second and stayed reading it until 5.30am in the morning when I had to give in to sleep.

The novel follows the story of two families who are caught up in a serious, tragic accident high in snowy mountains and the lengths that each individual go to to survive. The book takes the ingenious idea of narrating the aftermath of the crash from sixteen year old Finn's PoV. It's ingenious because
    Selena
    Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh my goodness, my heart!

I received an e-copy of In an Instant by Suzanne Redfearn from NetGalley for my honest review.

A gripping and emotional story of the after-effects that a family and their friends suffer after a deadly accident. We get to learn and understand how each character reacts, how they feel and what they go through during and after the accident.

A story of loss and how each person reacts to the loss. A story that will make you think about how short life really is and to take,
    Pauline
    Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    A family skiing trip has tragic consequences when their camper van skids on the snow and tumbles over a cliff.
    Finn their teenage daughter is killed instantly, her father is very badly injured.
    This story is about the actions of the others in the group and the consequences of their actions during and after the event which leave the survivors changed for ever.
    This was a very powerful story and the first I have read by this author and I will be looking out for more of her work.
    Kristine
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    An incredible feat of such raw, human emotion. This book gave me a lump in my throat from start to finish and even tears at several points. Even more hard hitting is reading the Author's Note at the end where we find this story is written based upon an experience in her youth and revisiting the forgivenesses she gave when she was a child that look less deserved as an adult.

Finn, 2 of her siblings, her parents, and a collection of 5 friends head up into the mountains for a ski holiday over
    Konny
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In an Instant by Suzanne Redfearn is a full length standalone romance novel that had me in twists and knots.
    In an Instant is told in a single pov, Finn, a young girl tells a gripping heart-wrenching story about family, love and loss, that had me in tears more than one time. I literally just finished the book and I'm sitting here and can't get the book out of my head. The characters and the storyline stubbornly stay with me. I will not spoiler here, only so much, what a ride!
    In an Instant is an
    Jayme
    If you are an Amazon Prime member, and you haven’t selected your book for FEB yet, because you weren’t sure which one to choose...let me help you out!

THIS book should be your choice!

It was CHILLING!

YES, it is reminiscent of “The Lovely Bones” as we have 16 year old, Finn, narrating from the omniscient view, as she is caught between this World and what comes next, but the similarities end there.

Swerving to avoid a deer on a cold, dark night, a camper careens off the road, plummeting over the
    Laurie Tell
    Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Holy cow! I just cried for 4 hours. Tears dropped down as I continued to read this book. I wanted to take a break but I couldn't. I had to keep reading.

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away. But I loved The writing, the story, the characters... First thing in my list is to see if this author wrote anything else.

This book was sad, it was sweet, it made you think. Oh, and in case you haven't figured it out yet, I loved it.

I want to thank the publisher and
    Kookie9200
    Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book.

I was hooked on this novel from the first words. Finn is a 16 year old girl who feels a little lost in her family. Her dad's constant companion is Oz, her 13 year old brother with learning difficulties. Her mother is lost in the wilds of her older sister Aubrey's wedding. Her other sister, Chloe, is close to her, but distracted by her boyfriend Vance. Then there's Mo. Her best friend since childhood, who loves and
    Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    The choices that we make in our lives are the choices that we alone have to live with. This book takes a terrible tragedy and tells the story of the aftermath. The beginning of the book is Finn's story as she and her family are off on a ski weekend. The rest of the story is still Finn's story, but she's a dead character watching her family deal with the terrible tragedy that they had been a part of. This is the kind of book that you read in one sitting because of the way the author tells the ...more
    Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I can easily say this is the best book I have read in a long time. It is filled with wonderful deep characters. Finn is the narrator and she is a beautiful, warm, intelligent and wondrous character. This book will warm your heart just after it has broken it. You my describe the first of the book as a bit of a suspense book but this is much deeper than that. It delves deeply into each persons true character showing us how differently we act when facing the same problems. I was left feeling at ...more
    Jen Juenke
    Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Sit down, get a steamy cup of hot cocoa and read this book. You will NOT want to go out into the cold for a long time after reading this harrowing story.
    In the vein of "The Lovely Bones", the main narrator is a ghost. Kind of weird to get used to but as the story progresses, you needed a spirit to infiltrate between all of the characters.
    two families go on vacation in an RV.
    The choices that they make will change them all forever.
    The first 20 pages were a bit too detailed for my liking. I thought
    Ashley Maxam
    Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Amazing book that forces the reader to think about how decisions are affected by tragedy, how people change when faced with their survival, and then how dealing with grief and regret can change the future. Told from the point of view of the ghost of Finn, the story is able to capture multiple viewpoints of each character, and it adds a depth to the story that makes it truly unique. Found myself rooting for the characters and not wanting to put it down until I finished and believing that although ...more
    Katie
    Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I loved this. It was the most compulsively readable book I’ve picked up all year. The story, told from Finns perspective offered such a wonderful observer feel to this already compelling premise. Trust this book to make you think, rethink and then think once more about the dynamics of a family and the dynamics of interactions with various people in your life. I could not recommend this book more.
    Heather Bennett
    Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In an Instant is a fantastic thriller that I could not down. The writing and and characters are well done. I hope to read more by this author.
    Janet
    Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Life is over in
    Cori
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I just reviewed In an Instant by Suzanne Redfearn. #InAnInstant #NetGalley this book was AMAZING. I binged it in just a few short hours. I love how we are getting the story from a "fly on the wall" type character. One minute you aren't sure where the story is going and the next you are gasping because no way did that just happen. In an Instant is a reminder that life is short. That people sometimes make drastic decisions. That maybe your friend isn't who you thought they were. I definitely ...more
    Corey
    Finn is dead.

After the sudden split-second decision to miss a deer while driving to dinner, Finn's Dad sends their vehicle careening down a mountainside leaving Finn dead. While her spirit remains behind she is forced to watch helplessly as everyone makes choices - both good and bad - when fighting to survive. Once the survivors make it back to the land of the living, she stays on and observes the aftermath and the lies that are told to hide the dark truth of what happened during the blizzard.

DeAnn
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020
    5 thought-provoking stars

I kept seeing 5-star reviews for this one, so I had high hopes it would work for me. It did!! If you’ve read the blurb, you already know that the premise is a 16-year-old who has died but some spirit of her remains to watch her family and friends. If you are a fan of “Lovely Bones” I would recommend this one to you.

This one is thought-provoking because it made me consider what I would do in this situation. Would I protect my own family above others? How quickly does the
    Shanna
    Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    No words for how much I LOVED this book. A Beautiful story that is unlike anything else I've read. It will have you engaged from the first page and heartbroken through parts, but a beautifully told story. Highly recommend.
    Thank you to NetGalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
    Ludwig
    Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    "As I watch, I consider for a moment that perhaps this is hell, an invisible and silent existence where you have no ability to help those you love, forced to watch them struggle and suffer."

As I had cried my way through books like If I Stay and movies such as The Lovely Bones and Before I Fall, I thought I was mentally prepared for In An Instant. I wasn't.

Finn Miller is no longer a part of her body. She's stuck in the in-between. A brutal accident during a snowstorm has taken her life and
    Judy Collins
    Check out my upcoming in-depth Q&A interview with Suzanne Redfearn “An Elevator Ride with the Author” (March 1, 2020) and get the “behind the scenes” exclusives of IN AN INSTANT, and more about this talented author.

“Heartrending and ultimately redemptive, IN AN INSTANT is a story about the power of love, the meaning of family, and carrying on…even when it seems impossible.”

In the event of a tragedy, survivors must live with the aftermath and decisions that are made “in an instant,” which
    Kookie9200
    Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book.

Dee Arr
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: literary-fiction
    Author Suzanne Redfearn has certainly chosen a different and seldom used way to tell a story, and it works. Finn relates the action, filling us in on all the details as only a teenaged girl can do.

There are many elements at play here, and the author mixes them together well. Even before the accident there are fractures in Finn’s family, rips that threaten to tear the family apart. When the unexpected happens, everyday life immediately changed from normal to survival mode in a blink of an eye.
    Katie
    Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Jill Anderson
    Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I don't know where to start in this review because I have so many wonderful things to say about this book! In an Instant is going to be one of those books I recommend to everyone to read.
    How do we act when nobody is looking? Are we truly "good" people (or bad) all the time? What lies under our self that we show to the world? How would we act toward others if we thought our life, or those we love, was on the line? Would we be an every-man-for-himself person?
    There are a hundred layers of
    Kristin
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In the wake of a tragic car accident, the survivors are forced to make unimaginable choices in desperation to survive, spiraling into a heart-wrenching journey to live with those same choices afterwards, forever haunting the ones they love and perceptions of self. Told through the perspective of a teenage girl whose life is cut short, her desperation to be alive and connected to her family is a reminder of how fragile the things we take for granted truly are. Suzanne Redfearn's IN AN INSTANT ...more

• When I Was You
    • Last Day
    • Date Night
    • Because You're Mine
    • Thief River Falls
    • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
    • Mother Knows Best
    • Saint X
    • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
    • I Wanted You To Know
    • Moral Compass
    • The Second Chance Supper Club
    • The Whispers of War
    • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
    • Finding Tomorrow
    • The Light in the Hallway
    • The Guilty Mother
    Suzanne Redfearn is the award-winning author of three novels: Hush Little Baby, No Ordinary Life, and In an Instant. In addition to being an author, she’s also an architect specializing in residential and commercial design. She lives in Laguna Beach, California, where she and her husband own two restaurants: Lumberyard and Slice Pizza and Beer. You can find her at her website, ...more
    “regret is the most difficult emotion to live with, but in order to have regret, you need to have a conscience: an interesting paradox that allows the worst of us to suffer the least in the aftermath of wrongdoing.” 1 likes
    “I realize how awful people are to each other, how a pervasive cynicism exists in most of us that stops us from seeing the best parts of one another.” 1 likes