Start by marking “How to Speak Boy” as Want to Read:
How to Speak Boy

How to Speak Boy

Quinn and Grayson have been fierce speech and debate rivals for years. They can't stand one another, either in competition or in real life.

But when their AP Government teacher returns their school assignments to the wrong cubbies, they begin exchanging anonymous notes without knowing who the other is.

Despite their differences, the two come together through their letters
Published January 7th 2020 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about How to Speak Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Speak Boy

Start your review of How to Speak Boy
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an excellent read! Right away I’m hooked on this story when I read on how competitive Quinn is and how her mouth “twisted in distaste” when she hears of her competitor’s name. I’m the same way as Quinn on study and homework. I take a lot of time and it’s definitely unfair when others just seems to study very little but still get A’s. I love books with witty banter characters and this book has it. Grayson seems like a cool guy!

This book is told in the first person point of view
Toni
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, romance, 2019
This unexpectedly sweet and delightful teen rom-com introduced me to apparently super competitive world of Speech and Debate Tournaments. I never realised how interesting this extra-curricular activity can be and how much preparation goes into being able to deliver one's arguments smoothly and effectively.
Quinn and Grayson, the protagonists of the book, are both successful debaters and even become co-captains of their school team, so they have to work together to help the others improve their
julianna ➹
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
don't u think it's pretty god level of me to finish 3 books in 3 days? idk i think it's pretty god level of me

also anonymous romance in ya? :) you know you love it
Yna the Mood Reader
"But if there was anything I knew about competition, it was that some things were worth fighting for."

How To Speak Boyis an enticing YA contemporary read about rivals-turned-lovers! The trope itself is an exciting one that would raise everyone’s interests. Competing leads with witty banter, mixed in a You’ve Got Mail type of set up. In fact, knowing that this was within students that are members of the speech and debate team reminded of me of Candy Jar, a movie that I watched on Netflix.

I was
kav (xreadingsolacex)
How to Speak Boy by Tiana Smith is a YA rom-com about Quinn, who is dedicated to winning speech and debate this year, but whose plans just might get a little difficult when her rival Grayson turns out to be a new crush. To make matters even worse, Quinn may also be crushing on her anonymous pen pal in AP Government.

This was such definitely a cute read. I found myself truly shipping the romance between Quinn and Grayson - enemies-to-friends-to-lovers??? the suspense of an anonymous pen pal??? we
Elaine
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel. This was a simply delightful YA contemporary romance. I enjoyed the relationship building between Quinn and Grayson. Their dialogue was real and witty. I appreciated that the author kept this book clean from sex and swearing. I will definitely recommend this book to others and can't wait to read more by this author!!!!
Jessica | Booked J
(4.5 stars!) Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can also be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

How to Speak Boy was such a wonderfully sweet surprise. The kind of surprise that I didn't know I needed in my reading life. The kind of surprise that will keep you up all night, smiling. The kind of book that sets you down a path of warm and fuzzies. The kind of
Kris (frantic4romantic)
Cute. Cute. Cute.

Enemies to lovers stories always draw me in. I love the highs and lows of it. I love the uncertainty of it all when both parties realize the new and different feelings they’ve been feeling. It’s a romance trope that just doesn’t disappoint.

Quinn and Grayson are your typical intellectual nemeses. They butt heads and are constantly in competition with one another. What this story did different, is the added factor of mystery that made it so much sweeter.

I did kind of feel like the
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.5 Stars

This was a lot of fun and Quinn and Grayson has a great and flirty enemies to lovers situation which is always enjoyable. This was such a quick and engaging read - super addicting and pure fun. My main complaint is the big time jumps that happen within the story, it makes it a bit harder to buy some of the development between the characters. And I could have done without Quinn's friend Carter, but other than that this was an enjoyable read that had a quintessential romcom feel.

I
Krysti
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely ADORABLE! Full review TK!
Mary H
Nov 28, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK SOUNDS SO CUTE I COULD DIE
Taylor
Thank you so much to Swoon Reads for providing an earc of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 out of 5 Stars

"...strange, how easy it was to talk to a perfect stranger. Like, by not knowing who he was, I could tell him anything...Anonymity made me bold."

Set in Boise, Idaho, How To Speak Boy , is a YA romance centered around a pair of feuding speech competitors throughout their senior year of high school.

Seventeen year old Quinn Edwards wants nothing more than to beat
Bethany
How to Speak Boy is a fun YA romance that reads like a retelling of You've Got Mail, except involving rivals on a high school speech and debate (forensics) team. Having done speech and debate myself back in the day, I really enjoyed that element of it. Also, it's hard to bomb the You've Got Mail setup with rivals falling for each other, while not realizing they are also writing anonymous letters to each other. It's generally a good time. In this case, I did feel like the later part of the book ...more
Nadja
Hmmm I find it quite difficult to rate this. I liked it in the beginning but wished in the end that
a. the whole speech and debate thing would have played a bigger role
b. the story wasn't as similar to our beloved 'You've Got Mail' inspiration (why can't for once the girl find out the secret first?)
c. the whole Carter situation would have been dealt differently! The resulation seemed lazy and an easy cop-out.
Overall yes it's a cute and fluffy young adult contemporary but the heart is missing.
Samantha Hastings
A charming YA rewrite of You’ve Got Mail that had me at Speech and Debate. Quinn is a determined heroine who isn’t perfect, doesn’t know everything, and isn’t a super model. She is refreshingly normal with plenty of spunk. Quinn makes her fair share of mistakes as she navigates her college applications, the state speech tournament, friendship, and her love life. But you can’t help but cheer her on.

This is a witty and wonderful romcom that will appeal to both teens and adults.

And #Netflix ...
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Received an arc from raincoast book. Full review to come but this one was a MESS. Not to mention the synopsis is a huge spoiler.
elisabeth
this book sounds like a blessing to my rivals to lovers shipping heart
T.H. Hernandez
Quinn is serious, hardworking, and in desperate need of a little fun, but she’s vying for President of the Speech and Debate Club against her arch nemesis, the utterly swoon-worthy Grayson, so fun isn’t on the agenda. She’s as competitive as she is smart, but unfortunately, nothing comes easy to Quinn. She has to work twice as hard as Grayson to be successful, or so she believes. That makes it hard for her to let her guard down around him. Even though he’s adorably perfect. Quinn’s two closest ...more
Katherine Paschal
**Review can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Quinn has goals that she plans to meet this year, starting with being named Team Captain of her debate team. But when she is named co-captain with her arch enemy, it seems like everything starts to unravel. When her History assignment gets returned to the wrong person, she ends up getting into a note exchanging relationship with a stranger that keeps her going. But the question is, does she really want to learn the identity of her
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Enemies to Lovers with more in between. More like enemies to sort of friends, to sort of lovers, back to sort of enemies, then sort of friends, and then lovers. It took a long time to get there.

This was a super cute book that I think a lot of teens will relate to. It's so focused on the feelings of falling in love for the first time, along with all the insecurities and worries that go along with it. I think it's perfect for young teens, but older teens will relate, too. First love is so
Janet
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I should have known to pass on this one based on it’s silly title which does nothing to sell the story. This book promises a love/hate type romance, set against the backdrop of speech and debate. However, it’s super clear really early on that despite the minor setbacks and trappings that occur, the two main characters will wind up together. That’s not spoiling anything, it’s just plain fact.
diana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
I don't not like it. But to tell you honestly, this wasn't very memorable. The romance was okay. I have a love-hate relationship with Quinn. And Grayson was... well, I was expecting more.

I received an e-arc from the pubisher via Edelweiss+ to read and review.

Kaitlyn Hutmacher
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out a little slow, I’m not going to lie! However after the tenth or so chapter, I couldn’t put it down! I got so invested in the characters, and I found myself wanting to see what was going to happen, the entire time! Highly recommend picking it up!
Thamy
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A not so typical story about rivals who fall in love and need to deal with this change.

3.5, but not enough to round up.

Quinn and Grayson compete in the debate club, and Quinn knows Grayson has once made a girl fall for him only to break her heart and win in the school's election, so this won't be a story of hate becoming love. Or will it? While she exchanges messages with an anonymous boy getting the tips she needs to improve in AP Government and in her speeches, her feelings toward Grayson
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
*ARC Kindly provided by Macmillan Children's Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review*

How To Speak Boy is one of the titles I’m excited for this month. The blurb and the first few pages honestly remind me of Candy Jar a movie on Netflix which also features teens in a debate competition. The teenage speech and debate rivalry and secret admirer teasers really got me hooked with this book.

While I did get to read a fluffy contemporary story, it was more of a “MEH” read for me. I know, I’
Jenn
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
Quinn has been competing with Grayson in Speech and Debate the entire time they've been in high school. They loathe each other. But this is senior year. Quinn is determined to not only be their team captain, but to also crush Grayson like a bug in their competition. But Quinn gets a bit distracted when she ends up with an anonymous pen pal due to a misfiled test. And she's flunking AP Gov. And one of her best friends just won't take her gentle, but obvious, hints that she's just not into him.

I
Amanda
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
In reading the description of this book, it should be everything I love: YA, speech and debate, Boise, enemies to lovers, secret pen pals. But, in the end, he writing was blah (more much more telling than showing), there was no chemistry between the main characters, and there were so many annoying plot details I just couldn't get over. I appreciate the effort, but it just wasn't for me. I'm just going to spoiler cut everything below.

(view spoiler)
Samantha (WLABB)
After reading this book and Smith's debut, Match Me If You Can, I can state, with certainty that she writes my kind of books - super cute, filled with great characters, and adorable, swoony romance.

Quinn and Grayson seemed to always be in direct competition with each other, and when it came time to select the newest debate team captain, they were forced to share the role. It meant more time working together, and that meant lots of fun banter for me to read. I felt like Quinn saw Grayson as the
Mari Johnston
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

I will read anything Tiana Smith writes.

Three words: enemies to lovers. Smith wrote this classic trope so perfectly and it kept me on the edge of my seat. Having to wait patiently for Quinn and Grayson to give in to their attraction for each other was agonizing in the best way possible.

If you’re looking for a book with characters that practically jump off the page then this is the one. All of them are so vivid, it’s hard
Rachel
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Quinn and Grayson are competitive rivals. But, when they are forced to spend more time together as co-captains of the speech and debate team, their banter easily turns into friendship, and possibly more. There’s Carter, Quinn’s friend for many years, who obviously has a crush on her and tries to steer her away from Grayson. And then, wait for it, a mystery pen pal that Quinn stumbles upon after a test mix-up, and she starts to like him, too. Call it a love square, instead of a triangle, but
« previous 1 3 next »

• Every Other Weekend
  • Lucky Caller
  • Tweet Cute
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • Finding Mr. Better-Than-You
  • Echoes Between Us
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • More Than Maybe
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Rogue Princess
  • Just Breathe
Tiana Smith is a copywriter turned novelist who grew up in the Rocky Mountains. When she isn’t writing, she’s chasing after her ninja boy, reading, or binging the Disney Channel. She’d love to be fluent in sign language, but for now she gets by with awkward hand gestures and even more awkward French. She has double degrees in Honors and English from Westminster College but wants to go back to ...more