Start by marking “A Voice Named Aretha” as Want to Read:
A Voice Named Aretha

A Voice Named Aretha

From acclaimed author and illustrator pairing comes a beautiful picture book biography about the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin and how she fought for respect throughout her life.

Aretha Franklin is the Queen of Soul, a legend. But before she became a star, she was a shy little girl with a voice so powerful it made people jump up, sway, and hum along.

Raised in a house full
Published January 7th 2020 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Voice Named Aretha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Voice Named Aretha

Start your review of A Voice Named Aretha
Books on Stereo
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Informative and revelatory introduction to the queen of soul.
Shaunterria
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A beautifully illustrated look at the life of the world-renowned Queen of Soul, a Voice Named Aretha is a sensational introduction to the artist’s life and body of work for young readers. Starting with Franklin’s beginnings as a choir member and soloist at her father’s church in Detroit, Russell-Brown (Little Melba and Her Big Trombone, 2014) highlights how a religious upbringing and ties to the burgeoning American Civil Rights Movement influenced her trajectory as a singer and an icon. While ...more
Melissa Nikohl
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a kid, I could count on hearing Aretha Franklin almost every Saturday morning. That was a sign that it was time to get up and clean.

A Voice Named Aretha starts when the Queen of Soul was a child. The reader learns she always had a powerful voice, and even as a child her voice drew crowds.

When she was young, you could find tons of celebrities enjoying the company of her family. Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr were frequent visitors of the Franklin
Margie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Music permeates every aspect of our lives. Daily there is a cadence and chorus of sounds. The hum of a furnace, air conditioner, a clothes or hair dryer, or a refrigerator inside our homes blend with the whistle of wind, birdsong, the howl of coyotes or the ringing of wind chimes. Reading or hearing a single word can add an entirely new series of notes to this familiar symphony.

Anyone who grows up near the Motor City and spends their life in Michigan has sung and danced to the music made by the
Erin
A read-aloud-able, accessible introduction to the Queen of Soul. Doesn't ignore difficulties, but approaches them in a manageable way and sets up the reader for further conversation. Death of a parent, segregation, and marital difficulties are all touched on. Ample backmatter and author and illustrator notes round out the presentation of information.

The illustrations shine: bright and bold with ample and deliberate use of purple and gold to represent her as musical royalty. And of course, pairs
Jenn Adams
Love the endpapers (illustrations of Aretha Franklin vinyls) but the rest of the art wasn't really my thing.
This picture book biography strikes a good balance in terms of the amount of Aretha's story that we get. We hear about hard times she went through, and how she triumphed over them, but we aren't met with huge chunks of text on each page.
In the back, there is a more detailed biography for adults/older children, as well as a song list and some sources if you want to delver deeper into her
Christina Potter Bieloh
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting picture book biography. I would have loved the inclusion of more personal stories about her childhood, but I did learn quite a lot about her life.

The illustrations are my favorite part of the book. They are so beautiful. I love the illustration of her dressed in yellow and singing for her church as a child. I also love the illustration of her singing for President Obama. Overall, it's a beautiful book!
Mary Kate
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeously illustrated, well-researched book about an amazing person! It’s one I’d highly recommend for kids and adults. I love that it included a more detailed biography at the end, plus authors’ notes and references.
Amy
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to the "Queen of Soul", Aretha Franklin. Learning about her childhood and upbringing definitely brings a new layer of understanding and appreciation to her music. Very interesting story.
Musiclib
This new picture book biography on the legendary soul singer Aretha Franklin was a bit of a mixed bag. The book didn't have as much biographical fact as I had hoped, but the illustrations are beautiful. I would purchase for collections with no other biographies of Franklin.
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alana "Loni"
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the art, and I love Aretha, I just wanted a little more from the storytelling?
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I especially adore Freeman's use of royal colors, and an abundance of yellow, on Aretha in many spreads. One of the most gorgeous picture books I've looked at this year.
Lisa D
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a classic & beautiful biography! Loved it!
Lynn
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vibrant illustrations and a well done introduction to the great Aretha Franklin,
Kimberly Young

• Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Freedom Soup
  • Big Papa and the Time Machine
  • The Book Rescuer: How a Mensch from Massachusetts Saved Yiddish Literature for Generations to Come
  • Say Her Name