Start by marking “Saving Savannah” as Want to Read:
Saving Savannah

Saving Savannah

The story of an African-American girl becoming a woman on her own terms against the backdrop of widespread social change in the early 1900s America. As a daughter of an upper class African American family in Washington D.C., Savannah is lucky. Feeling suffocated by the structure of society, Savannah meets a working-class girl named Nell who introduces her to the ...more
Published January 14th 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about Saving Savannah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Savannah

Start your review of Saving Savannah
Kelly
The increase in the number of YA historical novels featuring teens of color at the center, and more specifically, girls of color at the center, is making me so happy to see. Bolden, who is a long-time writer for young people, brings readers to 1919 Washington DC in this story about an upper class black girl who wants nothing more than to make something interesting of her life.

Savannah knows she’s privileged in her wealth. But she’s worried she’ll never do something important or powerful in her
Jessica | Booked J
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can also be found here at Booked J.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Such a beautiful story. I'm in awe. Saving Savannah is one of those novels that reminds me why I've always adored a good piece of historical fiction. You can't go wrong with historically based novels when they are portrayed like Saving Savannah. It is simply breathtaking.
Sacha
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC! I’ll post a review in late December in advance of the January release.

Updated 1/14/20:

I rate this work at 3.5 stars.

It's great, short historical fiction, but the character reads so much younger than her age. While I see that this fact reflects her naivete, I also found it distracting throughout the novel and expect that YA readers would, too. The character only knows her own experience, and while she becomes - quickly - sympathetic to the
Savannah Porter
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Saving Savannah takes a close look at America in 1919, particularly with African American social changes. Savannah is a high-born African American struggling to find her place among her race and her high society. Tonya Bolden writes in a lyrical prose full of style and experimentation, which made it both fun to read and confusing at times.

The plot is slow in Saving Savannah. We follow Savannah closely through her thought processes and mini adventures (which are few). In fact, nothing much
Natasha Brown
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story of an African-American girl becoming a woman on her own terms against the backdrop of widespread social change in the early 1900s America. As a daughter of an upper-class African American family in Washington D.C., Savannah is lucky. Feeling suffocated by the structure of society, Savannah meets a working-class girl named Nell who introduces her to the suffragette and socialist movements, inspiring her to fight for change.

Saving Savannah is the portrayal of a young African-American
I wasn't sure that I was going to finish this title. The beginning of the story was a bit dull, and not until Savannah ventures out of her upscale neighborhood does it begin to pick up steam.

I enjoyed that this story gave voice to an affluent young black girl after the first world war, and was able to highlight a part of history that I hadn't yet encountered in YA fiction.

I am stuck on the fact that the MC's best friend is basically a mop that has been dressed up in human clothing - she has no
Sharon Lawler
Story revolves around a young woman from the upper class of the African American community in 1919, Washington DC. She has grown up with parents who urged her to help others to advance, but the racism of the times is a hindrance. The protective stance of her parents bores her, and she finds her own way. This is an excellent book to incorporate into history classes. It brings to light the forgotten abundance of professional successes earned by the African American community in all fields such as ...more
Andria Sedig
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I really enjoyed the first 1/2 - 2/3 of this book. Savannah's drive to do something, to find a purpose or calling in her life, was inspiring and enjoyable. I was curious to see her journey throughout the story and enjoyed the portrayal of an educated young lady of color in YA (as this isn't typical, especially in historical fiction). What I didn't personally enjoy was how heavily political the later third of this book was.

Overall an enjoyable read, but wouldn't recommend for people who are
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to @netgalley for the ARC of #savingsavannah by #tonyabolden. I spent a good portion of this snow day under an electric blanket glued to this powerful #historicalfiction ya title (pub date Jan 2020). It’s the end of WWI and Savannah is a well off young African American woman coming of age in DC. She must become the person she wants to while watching and participating in massive social change. Read the author’s note for sure. Very powerful.
Melissa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Saving Savannah is a very interesting book about an elite African American girl living in DC just before women get the right to vote. She struggles with her place in the world. Some parts of this book seem to jump around, but it is a great story that includes many parts of history that have not had their chance to be told. I think it's an important read, but I would recommend middle grades or higher.
Annarella
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This is well written, well researched book but the story was a bit too slow if it failed to keep my interest.
Not my cup of tea.
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Read In Colour
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
The beautiful cover is what initially drew me in, but the story line kept me. I loved that the author gave readers authentic DC along with authentic historical events of that time. It's rare to read a story with a black protagonist from an upper class background set in the early 1900s. Juxtaposing Savannah and her best friend reminds readers that Savannah had the option to bury her head in the sand and turn a blind eye to the sufferings of the lower and middle class, but chose to be an active ...more
Shenwei
Nohemi
Alexis Sims
Angela
Jun 15, 2019

• The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • The Words I Never Wrote
  • Dreamland
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Before She Was Harriet
  • Today We Go Home
  • Lali's Feather
  • This Light Between Us
  • Regretting You
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Reverie
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Light It Up
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Grobblechops
  • Strange Fruit
Author and publisher Tonya Wilyce Bolden was born on March 1, 1959, in New York City to Georgia Bolden, a homemaker, and Willie Bolden, a garment center shipping manager. Bolden grew up in Harlem in a musical family and loved to read; she attended Public M.E.S. 146, an elementary school in Manhattan, and then graduated from the Chapin School, a private secondary school, in Manhattan in 1976. ...more