Start by marking “A Castle in the Clouds” as Want to Read:
A Castle in the Clouds

A Castle in the Clouds

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  7,069 ratings  ·  1,030 reviews
A Castle in the Clouds follows a girl as she navigates secrets, romance, and danger in an aging grand hotel.

Way up in the Swiss mountains, there's an old grand hotel steeped in tradition and faded splendor. Once a year, when the famous New Year's Eve Ball takes place and guests from all over the world arrive, excitement returns to the vast hallways.

Sophie, who works at the
Published January 28th 2020 by Henry Holt & Company (first published October 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Castle in the Clouds, please sign up.
Katie Apparently, the English version ("A Castle in the Clouds") is coming out in early 2020.…moreApparently, the English version ("A Castle in the Clouds") is coming out in early 2020.(less)
Katie Es wurde ganz eindeutig als Einzelband angekündigt, doch Gier wäre ja nicht die erste Autorin, die aufgrund guter Verkaufszahlen eine Reihe aus einem …moreEs wurde ganz eindeutig als Einzelband angekündigt, doch Gier wäre ja nicht die erste Autorin, die aufgrund guter Verkaufszahlen eine Reihe aus einem Standalone macht... Auf jeden Fall ist "Wolkenschloss" aber in sich abgeschlossen und bietet meiner Ansicht nach auch kein wirkliches Potenzial für ein Sequel.(less)

·  7,069 ratings  ·  1,030 reviews

Start your review of A Castle in the Clouds
Toni
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a perfect winter read! The book is set in a beautiful hotel up in the Swiss Alps, while the main events take place between Christmas and New Year's Day, so I couldn't have asked for a more atmospheric YA book on this January morning.

Seventeen year old Sophie Spark is a high school dropout who is working as an intern in a luxury hotel. She is trying to find her own place in the world, however different it might be from her mother expectations and her friends' chosen lifepaths. Sophie is
Anna Luce
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy hotel-settings or Ben Guterson's Winterhouse series
★★★✰✰ 3.25 stars

“One thing was for sure: This Christmas was going to be anything but boring.”

A Castle in the Clouds is the book equivalent of cotton candy. Fluffy, sickly sweet, and somewhat insubstantial. Nevertheless, with its Clue meets Scooby Doo story this latest novel by Kerstin Gier makes for an entertaining, if silly, read.

A Castle in the Clouds follows the misadventures of Sophie Spark, a high-school drop out who is working as an intern at a grand hotel in the Swiss mountains. The hot
Katherine
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Let's be honest here..I bought this book because of the cover. The mint blue background (with a charming hotel the colors of Hansel and Gretels dream cottage) and a freakin adorable orange cat! I was sold. I didnt even read the description...🤫

If I had, I would have learned this is a story about a girl named Sophie Spark, who after dropping out of High School, goes to work as an intern at, Castle in the clouds. A hotel steeped in tradition and fantastical happenings.

The luxurious hotel located i
Andragel
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, ya
Ahhhhh. I just loved, loved, loved this book so much.

description

Maybe it's not the best book to read in spring, it's definitely more of a winter book, but even like that, I enjoyed it immensely.

I am a big fan of Kerstin Gier, her Ruby Red series was among my favourites so seeing she decided to publish that made me so happy! I had some mixed feelings about picking this up as I see it has a few contradictory reviews but I am glad I did.

As a full disclaimer for the people reading it for the mystery: don't. It
Candace Robinson
The Ruby Red Trilogy is one of my faves of all time, but this one didn’t have the same amount of pizazz for me. However, it still had fun and witty dialogue with an interesting plot!
linda (flourishreader)
I have read the authors ya series a couple of years ago and remember loving the Ruby Red series so I had to pick up her latest ya standalone sooner or later especially after seeing her at the book fair last year. This was such a quick and fun read - definitely how I expected a Kerstin Gier book to be. Now I have to admit that starting a book set in the middle of winter with snowy landscapes and the anticipation of christmas was probably not my best idea since it's June but I enjoyed it anyway! ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is a book I requested in my flurry of trying to read as many holiday reads before the holidays as I could take. I didn't get to this one but since it's set up to New Year's Eve and a bit beyond it still works. Also this is translated YA, which I don't see all that often. (Apparently some know the author from a time travel historical romance series, this seems more contemporary.)

Overall a feel-good read set in a Swiss mountain luxury hotel, with balls and mystery cats and snowstorms and afte
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
A Castle in the Clouds was an impulse download on Edelweiss because I'd been experiencing SFF burnout, and I am so glad that I picked this book up. It's funny and smart with a dash of cute, and I adored my time reading it!
"Legend had it that the hotel was haunted, and I could well believe it."
This is a fast-paced and engaging read. Told in Sophie's perspective, we follow her life as a new intern at a secluded old hotel in the Swiss mountains. She's quit school and is embarking on he
Marie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases, arcs
Trigger warnings (TW): (view spoiler)
Diversity: a main character of Asian heritage (non specified), a deaf side-character.

Initial thoughts after reading: An entertaining read overall, but the pacing was a little bit uneven at times and all the characters made me a tiny bit confused at first. Still, a fun read overall :)

Read my review of A Castle in the Clouds

Apparently, Kerstin Gier’s Ruby Red series is very famo
Adwitiya
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my. This book was the perfect blend of whimsical coziness and thrilling adventures I needed right now. Sophie is an intern at an aging grand hotel high up in the Swiss Alps - a hotel also belovedly known as the 'castle in the clouds' to its staff. We follow her through the days surrounding Christmas all the way until New Year's Eve. The characters in here, including both the various guests and hotel personnel were very charming indeed, and I became genuinely interested in their whereabouts, n ...more
Amélie Boucher
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it

Such a lovely story! I absolutely loved the setting, the characters, and the shenanigans that happened at this hotel. The ending also had me on the edge of my seat, gasping at all its twists and turns.

This book completely charmed me and I couldn't recommend it enough!
Saniya (sunnysidereviews)
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
review to come on my blog! https://sunnysidereviews.wordpress.com/ ...more
Matthew Galloway
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, ya, audiobook
This was an utter comfort style read. It reminded me of... I don’t know what they’re called... but like gentle thrillers of the 80s. Sophie could be a little dopey at times, but overall was pretty charming. She did feel younger to me than seventeen, though. Anyway, enjoyable cast of characters, lots of red herrings, a tiny bit of magic.
leonie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
uff .. i think even my 15 year old self wouldn’t have called this a good book. i don’t even want to talk about it ... just know that ben is amazing and i flew through this book but otherwise.. nope! it didn’t know what it wanted to be. a coming of age story? a mystery? a love story? the plot was all over the place
Jackie
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Decent and fast pacing story. I normally 5 star books this author writes but this one fell a bit flat. Still cute but not as exciting and engaging as previous books
Emma Reads
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
review on blog: https://infinitelyreadingsite.wordpre...

oh my goodness this was so wonderful. full review will be up on my blog very soon!
Natalie
3.5 stars, rounded down

I really loved the setting of the hotel. This was a perfect post-Christmas, wintry read, perfect to curl up with under a blanket on a cold snowy day.

The story was interesting enough, but took a while to get going. There was also a love triangle (ugh) and the book was an odd mixture of ya contemporary and mystery with a tiny bit of magical realism thrown in.

I have to say, I predicted who was behind the mystery almost as soon as that character was introduced. It seemed ver
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
As I finished this book I already started to miss Castle in the Clouds.  This book was such a joy to read from start to finished.  Castle in the Clouds is a cozy, slightly out of date, luxury hotel in the Swiss mountains where the uber rich have come to spend Christmas and New Years.  The atmosphere was just perfect for a pre-Christmas or winter read, with the description of snow and cold. There is even a secret cat on the premise, which I absolutely loved!
_
Sophia Spark is a delightful character
Lisa Mandina
I have loved this author ever since her Ruby Red series. And I was also a big fan of her Silver Trilogy even if I haven’t quite finished it yet. So as soon as I heard of another book by her, I was psyched and wanted a copy of it as soon as possible. While I was able to get signed up through Netgalley, I really wanted a physical copy to keep on my shelf, and so I had to resort to the Books for Trade hashtag on Twitter for that.

I really did enjoy this one. It was a very easy and quick read. The st
Michelle
3.5/5 stars

A Castle in the Clouds by Kerstin Gier is a young adult mystery with a romance element. My favorite aspect of the book was the setting. A Castle in the Clouds takes place in an old hotel set in the Swiss Alps. It is the perfect read for the colder winter months. This book kind of reminded me of a game of clue but with high stakes secrets galore. The atmosphere of the was wonderful.

In A Castle in the Clouds, we meet our main character Sophie, who gets a job at the hotel as an intern.
Lola
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Admit it to the world: The reason I bought this book was because I liked the cover.

It turned out to be an amazing book! I loved it! A Castle in the Clouds follows Sophie, a 17-year-old girl who works as a maid at a fancy hotel in Switzerland. Coolest job ever! Sophie and her newfound friend, Ben (son of the grumpy hotel owner), are swept up into a mystery that involves a stolen jewel, a grand hotel kidnapping, and some highly suspicious hotel guests. Sophie meets Tristan, a handsome young man..
Toya (the reading chemist)
Set in the dreamy winter wonderland of the Swiss Alps during the holiday season, A Castle in the Clouds is the perfect winter read. Don’t let the dreamy backdrop fool you, this book is full of mystery and intrigue with a character driven plot that is reminiscent of The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Sophie Sparks is a seventeen year old high school dropout lands an internship at a luxury hotel. While everyone else around her seems to have their lives figured out, Sophie is trying to still figure out what
Rissi
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
THE STORY | Working as one of the new interns, Sophie Spark has her work cut out for her. This includes taking orders from entitled brats, which is not where she wants to end up, but for now, this is where Sophie’s life is at. She’s not exactly happy but working at the prestigious Castle in the Clouds hotel does have an undeniable magic.

As she works to find a rhythm, two cute boys enter her life, both with different agendas, and all just as a mysterious set of events plague the hotel!

Make a Rese
Panna Fox
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like it :) maybe not us much as The Time Trylogy but i like Kerstin Gier's style ;) ...more
Priss
3.5/5. The pacing was quite slow up till the last 30% I feel, but the story was very fun. I found it a bit sad to have read the prologue - somehow this spoiled the story for me a bit. I also felt like it was slightly predictable, but overall I had fun reading it. The atmosphere in the hotel is great, and Sophie is quite likeable and relatable. I'd expected the beginning to be slightly more fast-paced and the ending to be less rushed, so that the pacing was a bit more equally distributed. All in ...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Rosemary
Cover Story: Cartoon Cutesy
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 7
Talky Talk: Cozy Mystery
Bonus Factors: Europe, Hotels, Christmas
Relationship Status: Holiday Hook-up

Read the full book report here.
Victoria Ferreira
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!!!
Samantha
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and unexpected delight.

Castle in the Clouds is exactly the escapist, feel good read we all need right now. It’s cozy and light while still being sharp and compelling.

I loved the setting, and Gier does a wonderful job of evoking the majesty of the hotel’s dazzling location as well as the day-to-day of life inside the edifice.

The plot contains a few mysteries, some action, and some light humor that are all delightful. I could have done with less tension and melodrama surrounding the
Kat
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
* Thank you Fierce Reads for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.25 stars

This novel follows Sophie Spark, an intern at an old regal hotel in Europe. Between snooty guests, rambunctious children, and celebrities checking in, the upcoming holiday season is sure to be exciting. Not to mention, the cute co-workers who have caught her eye, and the guests who are not who they claim they are.

This was such a cute read! It started a bit slow, but turned out to be a fun and fest
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Die magische Gondel (Zeitenzauber, #1)
  • Zimt und weg (Zimt-Trilogie #1)
  • Die goldene Brücke (Zeitenzauber, #2)
  • What if we Drown (What If, #1)
  • Save Me (Maxton Hall, #1)
  • Palace of Glass: Die Wächterin (Palace-Saga, #1)
  • Save You (Maxton Hall, #2)
  • Fatimas Flucht (Time School, #0.2)
  • Prokletá krev
  • Die magische Pforte der Anderwelt (Pan-Trilogie, Spin-off, #1)
  • Der Insasse
  • Faye - Herz aus Licht und Lava
  • Das Geschenk
  • Flugangst 7A
  • Der letzte erste Blick (Firsts #1)
  • Staub & Flammen (Buch der Götter, #2)
  • Das erste Opfer (Monday Club, #1)
  • Tulpengold
Kerstin Gier is the bestselling author of the Ruby Red trilogy, as well as several popular novels for adults.

News & Interviews

“Sie sagten, dass einem niemand das Zuhause nehmen kann, wenn man in sich selbst zu Hause ist. Und dass man alles in sich trägt, was man braucht, um überall glücklich zu sein.” 6 likes
“Okay, dieser Typ war unglaublich hübsch. Und er roch gut. Und es war wirklich lustig, sich mit ihm zu unterhalten. Das war aber auch schon alles. Kein Grund, sich so merkwürdig zu benehmen.” 1 likes