Start by marking “A Castle in the Clouds” as Want to Read:
A Castle in the Clouds

A Castle in the Clouds

A Castle in the Clouds follows a girl as she navigates secrets, romance, and danger in an aging grand hotel.

Way up in the Swiss mountains, there's an old grand hotel steeped in tradition and faded splendor. Once a year, when the famous New Year's Eve Ball takes place and guests from all over the world arrive, excitement returns to the vast hallways.

Sophie, who works at the
Published January 28th 2020 by Henry Holt & Company (first published October 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Castle in the Clouds, please sign up.
Katie Apparently, the English version ("A Castle in the Clouds") is coming out in early 2020.
Katie Es wurde ganz eindeutig als Einzelband angekündigt, doch Gier wäre ja nicht die erste Autorin, die aufgrund guter Verkaufszahlen eine Reihe aus einem…moreEs wurde ganz eindeutig als Einzelband angekündigt, doch Gier wäre ja nicht die erste Autorin, die aufgrund guter Verkaufszahlen eine Reihe aus einem Standalone macht... Auf jeden Fall ist "Wolkenschloss" aber in sich abgeschlossen und bietet meiner Ansicht nach auch kein wirkliches Potenzial für ein Sequel.(less)

Start your review of A Castle in the Clouds
Lola
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
It has been a while since I last read a Kerstin Gier book. At least six years, really. But I do remember enjoying the magic in her Ruby Red Trilogy so I was hoping to be swept away by A Castle in the Clouds as well. Aside from having a really compelling title, it just seemed so mysterious.

It is not. Oh, it tries to be. It features a very large cast of characters, kind of like in the game Clue. There are secrets, illegal activity, suspects and our narrator who tries to make heads or tails out of
Toni
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, romance, thriller, 2020
This was a perfect winter read! The book is set in a beautiful hotel up in the Swiss Alps, while the main events take place between Christmas and New Year's Day, so I couldn't have asked for a more atmospheric YA book on this January morning.

Seventeen year old Sophie Spark is a high school dropout who is working as an intern in a luxury hotel. She is trying to find her own place in the world, however different it might be from her mother expectations and her friends' chosen lifepaths. Sophie is
Anna Luce
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy hotel-settings or Ben Guterson's Winterhouse series

“One thing was for sure: This Christmas was going to be anything but boring.”

A Castle in the Clouds is the book equivalent of cotton candy. Fluffy, sickly sweet, and somewhat insubstantial. Nevertheless, with its Clue meets Scooby Doo story this latest novel by Kerstin Gier makes for an entertaining if silly read.

A Castle in the Clouds follows the misadventures of Sophie Spark, a high-school drop out who is working as an intern at a grand hotel in the Swiss mountains. The hotel is
Candace Robinson
The Ruby Red Trilogy is one of my faves of all time, but this one didn’t have the same amount of pizazz for me. However, it still had fun and witty dialogue with an interesting plot!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is a book I requested in my flurry of trying to read as many holiday reads before the holidays as I could take. I didn't get to this one but since it's set up to New Year's Eve and a bit beyond it still works. Also this is translated YA, which I don't see all that often. (Apparently some know the author from a time travel historical romance series, this seems more contemporary.)

Overall a feel-good read set in a Swiss mountain luxury hotel, with balls and mystery cats and snowstorms and
linda ❃ (flourishreader)
I have read the authors ya series a couple of years ago and remember loving the Ruby Red series so I had to pick up her latest ya standalone sooner or later especially after seeing her at the book fair last year. This was such a quick and fun read - definitely how I expected a Kerstin Gier book to be. Now I have to admit that starting a book set in the middle of winter with snowy landscapes and the anticipation of christmas was probably not my best idea since it's June but I enjoyed it anyway! ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
A Castle in the Clouds was an impulse download on Edelweiss because I'd been experiencing SFF burnout, and I am so glad that I picked this book up. It's funny and smart with a dash of cute, and I adored my time reading it!
"Legend had it that the hotel was haunted, and I could well believe it."
This is a fast-paced and engaging read. Told in Sophie's perspective, we follow her life as a new intern at a secluded old hotel in the Swiss mountains. She's quit school and is embarking on her own,
Matthew Galloway
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, ya, thriller
This was an utter comfort style read. It reminded me of... I don’t know what they’re called... but like gentle thrillers of the 80s. Sophie could be a little dopey at times, but overall was pretty charming. She did feel younger to me than seventeen, though. Anyway, enjoyable cast of characters, lots of red herrings, a tiny bit of magic.
Marie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020-releases
An entertaining read overall, but the pacing was a little bit uneven at times and all the characters made me a tiny bit confused at first. Still, a fun read overall :)

Full review coming soon!

Thank you to MacMillan International for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
leonie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2020
uff .. i think even my 15 year old self wouldn’t have called this a good book. i don’t even want to talk about it ... just know that ben is amazing and i flew through this book but otherwise.. nope! it didn’t know what it wanted to be. a coming of age story? a mystery? a love story? the plot was all over the place
Toya
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Set in the dreamy winter wonderland of the Swiss Alps during the holiday season, A Castle in the Clouds is the perfect winter read. Don’t let the dreamy backdrop fool you, this book is full of mystery and intrigue with a character driven plot that is reminiscent of The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Sophie Sparks is a seventeen year old high school dropout lands an internship at a luxury hotel. While everyone else around her seems to have their lives figured out, Sophie is trying to still figure out what
Michelle
3.5/5 stars

A Castle in the Clouds by Kerstin Gier is a young adult mystery with a romance element. My favorite aspect of the book was the setting. A Castle in the Clouds takes place in an old hotel set in the Swiss Alps. It is the perfect read for the colder winter months. This book kind of reminded me of a game of clue but with high stakes secrets galore. The atmosphere of the was wonderful.

In A Castle in the Clouds, we meet our main character Sophie, who gets a job at the hotel as an intern.
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
As I finished this book I already started to miss Castle in the Clouds. This book was such a joy to read from start to finished. Castle in the Clouds is a cozy, slightly out of date, luxury hotel in the Swiss mountains where the uber rich have come to spend Christmas and New Years. The atmosphere was just perfect for a pre-Christmas or winter read, with the description of snow and cold. There is even a secret cat on the premise, which I absolutely loved!
_
Sophia Spark is a delightful character
Alina
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 STARS.

I was kind of disappointed with this... It was definitely not what I'd expected and very very character driven.
I still liked it because Kerstin Gier always creates very unique characters for her books but this was nothing compared to the Precious Stone trilogy...

More in-depths review coming soon.
Panna Fox
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like it :) maybe not us much as The Time Trylogy but i like Kerstin Gier's style ;)
Lisa Mandina
I have loved this author ever since her Ruby Red series. And I was also a big fan of her Silver Trilogy even if I haven’t quite finished it yet. So as soon as I heard of another book by her, I was psyched and wanted a copy of it as soon as possible. While I was able to get signed up through Netgalley, I really wanted a physical copy to keep on my shelf, and so I had to resort to the Books for Trade hashtag on Twitter for that.

I really did enjoy this one. It was a very easy and quick read. The
Rissi
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
THE STORY | Working as one of the new interns, Sophie Spark has her work cut out for her. This includes taking orders from entitled brats, which is not where she wants to end up, but for now, this is where Sophie’s life is at. She’s not exactly happy but working at the prestigious Castle in the Clouds hotel does have an undeniable magic.

As she works to find a rhythm, two cute boys enter her life, both with different agendas, and all just as a mysterious set of events plague the hotel!

Make a
Lisa (obsolete.fidelity)
First half was 4 to me, but the rest was 2 , so ended up in the middle.

I really liked the first half. I went in expecting the full YA thing, so I was prepared for it and it wasn't so bad.

I actually liked that there wasn't really any mystery at first, just the hotel in itself, which I absolutely loved. I loved the hotel setting, and all of that, with the different characters (though I didn't think any of them were really special, except for a certain, annoying, little, weird boy).

Then towards
Natalia
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.2 stars! This book was really magical, funny and just a great YA book!

Kierstin Gier is one of my favorite authors of YA books and I was happy to finally read her new novel! I think that this book is even more funny than her previous stories. Also, this story has only a bit of magic inside and in my opinion, it is great. But it wouldn’t be Kierstin Gier if she didn’t have a rather thrilling conclusion almost like from an action movie after a relatively quiet book full of Christmas idols!

I’d
Kaylee Gwyn (literarypengwyns)
3.5 Stars

Take a little bit of Harriet the Spy, mix it with equal parts Clue, toss in a heap full of The Grand Budapest Hotel and finish with a dash of Eloise (at the Plaza) and BOOM, you have this book.

Part romance, part mystery, part high stakes crime drama, A Castle in the Clouds is an all around unique YA made more interesting thanks to the setting...a Swiss Mountain resort.

Our main character is Sophie, a high school dropout who decides to take a job as a hotel intern at this resort. She does
Kat
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
* Thank you Fierce Reads for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.25 stars

This novel follows Sophie Spark, an intern at an old regal hotel in Europe. Between snooty guests, rambunctious children, and celebrities checking in, the upcoming holiday season is sure to be exciting. Not to mention, the cute co-workers who have caught her eye, and the guests who are not who they claim they are.

This was such a cute read! It started a bit slow, but turned out to be a fun and
Karen
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming and cozy, with touches of humor, romance, and mystery, perfect for winter holiday reading. Lucky to get an ARC, thanks to sponsoring a Teens’ Top Ten book group at my library. Releases January 28, 2020. Makes me wish I had a Forbidden Cat.
Sara
A slow start, but a really fun read! Review on the way!
Maike
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Way too unrealistic
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
4 stars

~ Pop Sugar 2019 Reading Challenge - Your Favourite Prompt From Past Pop Sugar Challenge - year 2017: A Book Set in a Hotel ~

I really like the Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier, so, after being disappointed by her Silver trilogy, I'm happy to say that I finally see the glimpse of her first series in this book. It's a really enjoyable, quick read. The characters are interesting, there's a lot of humour and the mystery, although not too complicated, kept me guessing. However, the best part
radioactivestardust
I don't read many german authors, but if Kerstin Gier publishes a new book it has become quite mandatory to read it. This book was awfully German (in comparsion to the ruby red and silver series). I mean it's about a fucking hotel in the suiss alps. It felt, at times, like watching a german TV soap opera (don't ever try that, they are awful). But it was funny as always, and had some fun twists in between and the story was well paced. The Characters were stylized and grew on you, and actually you ...more
Moon
I guess I will never get bored of reading Kerstin Gier's books. I love the way things get interesting at the end of her books (I really did not expect this!!) and I enjoyed this one a lot!
Eli
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-rereading
4.5 stars ...more
Matt
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I actually finished this book more than a week ago, and I didn't have the muse to write a review, but here we go.

Things I Liked:

* My overall reading experience. I listened to it on Spotify while walking to work or cleaning the house and it was really nice having some entertainment while doing all those things.
* The increase of diverse characters, compared to her other novels. There was a POC main character, a gay character, and a disabled character.
* How work in a hotel was depicted. (I guess
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sirpale
  • Save Me (Maxton Hall, #1)
  • Auf ewig dein (Time School, #1)
  • Die magische Gondel (Zeitenzauber, #1)
  • Save You (Maxton Hall, #2)
  • Animant Crumbs Staubchronik
  • Sydän kylmänä (Isadella, #1)
  • Save Us (Maxton Hall, #3)
  • Burning Bridges (Fletcher University #1)
  • Suomea lohikäärmeille
  • Auf Ewig Mein (Time School, #2)
  • Die goldene Brücke (Zeitenzauber, #2)
  • Berühre mich. Nicht. (Berühre mich. Nicht., #1)
  • Zimt und zurück (Zimt-Trilogie #2)
  • Suojaava kerros ilmaa
  • Someone New (Someone #1)
  • Hinter verzauberten Fenstern
  • Auf Ewig Uns (Time School, #3)
Kerstin Gier is the bestselling author of the Ruby Red trilogy, as well as several popular novels for adults.

“Sie sagten, dass einem niemand das Zuhause nehmen kann, wenn man in sich selbst zu Hause ist. Und dass man alles in sich trägt, was man braucht, um überall glücklich zu sein.” 6 likes
“Okay, dieser Typ war unglaublich hübsch. Und er roch gut. Und es war wirklich lustig, sich mit ihm zu unterhalten. Das war aber auch schon alles. Kein Grund, sich so merkwürdig zu benehmen.” 1 likes