Start by marking “Chirp” as Want to Read:
Chirp

Chirp

From acclaimed author Kate Messner comes the powerful story of a young girl with the courage to make her voice heard, set against the backdrop of a summertime mystery.

When Mia moves to Vermont the summer after seventh grade, she's recovering from the broken arm she got falling off a balance beam. And packed away in the moving boxes under her clothes and gymnastics trophies
Published February 4th 2020 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Chirp, please sign up.
grace_green Unfortunately, Chirp doesn't have a Lexile because there isn't a test for it yet. It's too new (came out in 2020)…moreUnfortunately, Chirp doesn't have a Lexile because there isn't a test for it yet. It's too new (came out in 2020)(less)

Start your review of Chirp
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I am going SO hard for middle grade lately, y'all. This book was an absolute delight. It was equal parts light-hearted, scooby doo mystery and earnest/heartfelt life lessons and MY HEART IS VERY FULL.

TW: pedophilia, grooming, sexual harassment
L A i N E Y ~back in a bit~
It is never too early to teach feminism to a child. I know this but this book certainly effectively executes that idea so well that I think it will absolutely convince people who’s still in doubt with it.

Did you know that only male crickets make noise? Our protagonist Mia sure didn’t know that.

But it got her: “wondering about all those quiet females. Was it that they couldn’t chirp at all, no matter what? Or were the boy crickets so loud that they never got the chance?”

Isn’t that a profoun
Laurie Anderson
I love this book for its honesty, heart and tenderness. Keep your eye open for this one!
Mandy Stallard
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookposse
Mia has just moved back to Vermont from Boston. She and her parents want to be closer to her grandmother who suffered a stroke a few months ago. Mia is really excited to be able to help her grandmother with her cricket farm. Unfortunately, things seem to be going mysteriously wrong left and right at the farm. Mia's grandmother suspects that someone is trying to sabotage the farm so she will be forced to sell it, but so far, there is no way to prove her theory.

Per her mother, Mia has to pick two
MrsDogood
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The fact that male crickets chirp while female crickets are silent provides an intriguing basis for a book on the #MeToo movement. It’s disappointing, then, that this clever premise receives a one-note execution. I know I am daring to find fault with a book about #MeToo but before I’m drummed out librarianship, note that my comments are on a book, not a movement.

The writing is excellent; Mia’s voice rings true and her anguish is heartfelt and relateable enough to encourage young women to speak u
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of all ages
Got the munchies? Are you, and your taste buds, feeling adventurous? Then join Mia and Chloe in their “Chirp Challenge”, where you can enjoy samples of barbecue, sea-salt garlic, and maple-roasted...crickets! Yes, crickets, freshly harvested from Mia’s grandmothers’ sustainable cricket farm! At least, it was sustainable until somebody started trying to sabotage everything her grandma, an entomologist, has worked so hard to maintain...
This was an absolutely wonderful read! Mia is a lovable pre-te
Bonnie Grover
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Sometimes courage is quiet. Sometimes getting up in the morning and being you, is the bravest most defiant thing a woman can do.” I really wasn’t expecting this middle grade novel to be anything more than friends spending the summer having fun with a little bit of mystery mixed in. While it is friendship and family, it is much more. It is overcoming your own fears, getting back in the ring, and speaking up when things don’t feel quite right. I think this book is going to open up a lot of conver ...more
Nev
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, middle-grade
3.5 - The summer after 7th grade Mia and her family move to Vermont to help her grandmother take care of her cricket farm. Mia is determined to help the farm thrive and figure out who might be sabotaging it. Meanwhile she’s also dealing with the fact that something inappropriate happened with her gymnastics coach back in Boston that she hasn’t told anyone about yet.

The grooming behavior of her old coach and how that impacted her was tough to read about. There were a couple great conversations t
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Chirp by Kate Messner, 240 pages. Bloomsbury, 2020. $17.

Language: G (0 swears 0 'f'); Mature Content: PG (sexual harassment); Violence: PG (mild self harm).

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

12yo Mia has moved back to Vermont with her parents so they will be closer to her aging grandma. Mia has recently recovered from a broken arm and has spent the last several months watching television, so she is not thrilled that her parents are making her enroll in 2 different summer
Pam  Page
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate Messner has an uncanny sense of what kids need and how to reach them through books. When a book ends, and I'm sad to say goodbye to the characters, I know it was a good one! This is true with Chirp, a book that includes a cricket farm, an aging parent, and a girl carrying a serious secret. ...more
Rebecca Sofferman
I was a little biased toward this book because it takes place right near my hometown and also written by one of my favorite authors. But it lives up to the hype. Messner has a real knack for writing books that are really solidly middle school - not too mature/ya but not so elementary that middle schoolers who are ready for more complex themes and slightly more mature concepts are bored.

7th grader Mia moves back to Vermont with her family to be closer to her grandmother who recently had a stroke
Josephine Sorrell
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery-2021
Kirkus review says..

Sometime courage is quiet.”

Mia’s life turned upside down a year ago when she broke her arm during a gymnastics routine. After her grandmother suffered a mild stroke, the family moves back to Vermont, where she lives. Gram farms crickets as an alternative food source, and Mia is eager to help out during the summer. But strange things begin to occur at the farm. Gram is certain that someone is sabotaging her operation.
This is a family mystery combined with Mia’s fear and confu
Debbie Ohi
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-middle-grade
“Sometimes getting up in the morning and being you, no matter what’s happened to you and no matter what anybody says, is the bravest, most defiant thing a woman can do.” Loved this book so much. I had planned to read it over several evenings but ended up finishing it one sitting; I couldn't put it down! This book needs to be in every school library. I wish it had been in mine. (Also, I am now dying to try all the yummy-sounding cricket recipes mentioned in the book. Never thought I'd use "yummy" ...more
DaNae
A fun mystery with a bit social conscienceless thrown in. Messner is a master of presenting difficult material to middle-grade readers. Also, I'd try a garlic and sea-salt cricket.

(view spoiler)
Danielle
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"Did every woman she knew have some awful secret story?" p. 131

"Once you got in the habit of being small, it was hard to feel safe being your normal size anymore." p. 137

"Just because somebody acts friendly doesn't mean he's a good guy." p. 157

"Sometimes getting up in the morning and being you, no matter what's happened to you and no matter what anybody says, is the bravest, most defiant thing a woman can do." p. 178

Gillian
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is a must-read for everyone who’s ever had their voice quieted, everyone who’s gotten an icky feeling from someone, everyone who’s struggled to speak up. Thank you Kate Messner for CHIRP. It’s going to inspire so many conversations! 🦗💚
Melanie Dulaney
Due to a truly horrible digital ARC, I stopped trying to read this one. I think it will be a good middle grades choice for those that like a come back story with heart and a little mystery. With Kate Messner being the author, it’s a safe bet that it will be!
Cassie Thomas
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honest and courageous. Kate has written a story that is timely in its nature, and something I am so grateful is out in the middle grade world. What a profound story wrapped up in good hearted friendship and fun mystery as well. I can’t wait to share with students.
Michelle Simpson
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
This is an important book about finding the courage to speak up even when you feel scared and unsure about what is happening. Kate Messner takes an important topic and weaves it into an interesting story that is appropriate for middle grade children.
Donalyn
I read this months ago and loved it! Today’s Chirp’s release date.
Kate Welsh
This was SO GOOD - a perfect mix of fun mystery hijinks with serious important themes.
Shaye Miller
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Mia’s family is moving to Vermont at the end of her 7th grade year where she'll be closer to her aging grandmother who runs a cricket farm. Once an accomplished gymnast, Mia isn’t sure where her new interests lie now that she is healing from a balance beam injury (which required surgery on her arm). So she agrees to attend two summer camp opportunities in her new city — launch camp (a maker space for kids) and Warrior camp. At the maker space camp she makes a new set of friends and builds a team ...more
Darla
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This new middle grade novel by Kate Messner covers two relevant issues in one book and in such a comprehensive way. Mia begins the book as a girl who feels damaged and far from the brave, accomplished gymnast she was before her injury. As her past is revealed, the #me too movement is very much factor in her restoration. Part of that healing involves the ways Mia can help her grandmother market and improve the operation of her cricket farm. We learn many facts about raising/harvesting crickets an ...more
Abbie
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kate Messner's new book combines a solid mystery with information about entomophagy and entrepreneurship. This is a perfect pick for kids who like to learn something while they read. The secret of Mia's past and the inappropriate relationship her former coach forced on her blends seamlessly into the story, and it is handled perfectly. Mia's broken arm removes her from his efforts to groom her before things get more physical. It's helpful for Mia, and young readers, to know they aren't alone, and ...more
Kristine
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent, fun, and powerful story! I love how the author addressed a serious issue like Me Too in a way that kids can understand and relate to, but also made this book so much fun at the same time. This book feels like Harriet the Spy meets Shark Tank plus American Ninja Warrior with a cricket farm, and I can’t wait to read this with my kids!
Ms. B
Jan 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Who is sabotaging Gram's cricket farm? Mia and her new friends Clover and Ana set out to find the answers in this mystery which is also about the #metoo movement. As Helen Reddy would sing, "I am woman, hear me roar." ...more
Czechgirl
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
The book was good, but the story line did not propel me to really want to read the story.
jennyreadit
Thanks to Netgalley for an e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Mia's family is moving back to Vermont to help out her grandmother, a retired entomology professor, who has started a cricket farm. However, mysterious things begin happening such as the power suddenly going out, an abundance of fruit flies, and the sprinkler system suddenly coming, causing Mia and her grandmother to suspect someone is trying to sabotage the cricket farm. In addition, Mia has an internal conflict about an inapprop
Alex  Baugh
It's the beginning of summer and twelve-year-old Mia Barnes couldn't be happier about moving away from Boston with her family. Mia had been a talented gymnast until she fell off the balance beam, broke her arm, and lost interest in gymnastics. While on the mend, Mia had binged on American Warrior, a reality TV show to avoid thinking about gymnastics. Now, there would be her beloved Gram and her Green Mountain Cricket Farm, the dream business she had begun a few years ago as an alternative source ...more
Lynn Plourde

• Black Brother, Black Brother
  • Show Me a Sign
  • Wink
  • The Canyon's Edge
  • Ways to Make Sunshine (Ryan Hart, #1)
Kate Messner is an award-winning author, TED 2012 speaker, and former middle school English teacher. Her books for kids include THE BRILLIANT FALL OF GIANNA Z.,SUGAR AND ICE, and EYE OF THE STORM (Walker/Bloomsbury Dec. 2010) the MARTY MCGUIRE series (Scholastic), SEA MONSTER'S FIRST DAY, and OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW (Chronicle, Books). Kate also wrote SPITFIRE and CHAMPLAIN AND THE SILENT ONE, bot ...more

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...