Start by marking “The Gravity of Us” as Want to Read:

The Gravity of Us

As a successful social media journalist with half a million followers, seventeen-year-old Cal is used to sharing his life online. But when his pilot father is selected for a highly publicized NASA mission to Mars, Cal and his family relocate from Brooklyn to Houston and are thrust into a media circus.

Amidst the chaos, Cal meets sensitive and mysterious Leon, another “
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 04, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 5 ARCs of THE GRAVITY OF US, Phil Stamper's highly anticipated debut novel!

"I'm so starry-eyed for this wise, romantic

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 4491 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 18 - Feb 03, 2020

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Gravity of Us, please sign up.
    Phil Stamper Thank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human…moreThank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human mission to mars. Two sons of astronauts fall in love while their parents vie for the same spot on the mission. <3(less)

Start your review of The Gravity of Us
    Chaima ✨ شيماء
    Ah yes, a book about all my favorite things: space and gay stuff
    Phil Stamper
    Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    me: it's a little weird when authors 5-star their own books right?

also me:

--UPDATE--
    Anyone want to see a little teaser?

THE GRAVITY OF US
    Shaun Hutchinson
    Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    You guys!!! YOU GUYS!!!!! This book is AMAZING!!!!

Larry H
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    This was so beautiful and thought-provoking!!

Cal is a successful social media journalist with over half a million followers. But he doesn’t just make wry or cynical observations, or talk about the latest trends or restaurants in his Brooklyn neighborhood or in NYC. He really uses social media to make a difference, and played a huge part in getting younger people interested in the last presidential election. And people noticed—he landed an internship with BuzzFeed he can’t wait for.

But his whole
    Kai
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: queer, owned
    One small step for man, one giant leap for the gay agenda and their mission to conquer the universe.

The Gravity of Us was one of many upcoming queer releases that I was really looking forward to. It is an OwnVoices novel, it's queer, it has a beautiful cover - it ticks all the boxes. The main character is Cal, a teenage boy about to finish his last year of high school with ambitious plans: he wants to become a journalist. Already he has half a million followers on a platform where he regularly
    Tucker
    Sep 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    i was mistaken. i misread the maybe bordering on a possibly as a yes... (i don't know HOW i misread that but here we are)
    sadness
    but i will certainly try to get an audio file from penguin I'M READING THIS BOOK EARLY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
    ****************
    i have just gotten word that i will in fact be getting an ARC

****************
    Science + gays = perfection

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
    anna (½ of readsrainbow)
    we always knew the space was gay
    ellie
    sounds gay, i'm in
    ♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
    UPDATE:

That moment when the author comments on your post about their book. Like didn’t think that would happen!

———————————————————————————

Science Fiction isn’t my genre of choice BUT I’ll give this a shot.
    ;3
    Jun 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Dahlia
    In five words: lovely and bighearted space nerdery <3

I can't decide if this makes for a great pairing with THE WEIGHT OF THE STARS by K. Ancrum or if I just wanna see a conversation between the authors in which they talk about writing space-nerd queer YA but either way I like that they exist in the same universe that is my bookshelf.
    Jackie
    Jun 16, 2018 marked it as 2020-wtf
    SPACE MISSION DRAMA. BOYS FALLING IN LOVE. MARS. NASA. A NERDY LOVE STORY ABOUT SONS OF ASTRONAUTS.

SIGN ME UP
    Adam Sass
    Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    This is far too long of a wait to see this in print, but it will be worth it. Stamper slings together two young men falling in love against the backdrop of a space race to Mars with the warm, light touch of the best romantic comedy films of the 90s. I'm ecstatic this is going to meet the world soon!
    E.
    The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper // Or, You Can’t Fix It All And It’s Okay
    | An exploration of human relationships, chasing your dreams and existing is public and private spaces

“I’m leaving. On Monday. Dad’s a fucking astronaut.”

SUMMARY

m/m
    f&m friendship
    social media
    family
    NASA

Cal had it all planned out. A Buzzfeed internship. Covering the best stories for his FlashFeed channel. Moving in with his best and only friend. A careful patch to the perfect career in journalism.

But now
    Hollis
    I wish I could say this was everything sweet and lovely and as interesting that I hoped it would be.. but it wasn't.

This is a story about a space mission, social media, and first love. But the space mission never really felt real until near the end, there was so much streaming or reality tv that I felt like shaking my fist and yelling at kids to get off my non-existent lawn, and the first love was hella insta-love-y and took off at the speed of light.

But maybe this isn't as bad as it seemed to
    Emma
    Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
    The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5 Stars

A more detailed review will be posted when we're closer to the release date.

The Gravity of Us tells such a contemporary story that you really cannot help but feel like it's something that could totally happen in a not-so-distant future.

I always appreciate it when authors manage to include in their books the use of social media in a good and positive way, since it's such a big and
    desmond ❄️
    Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019, netgalley-earc
    [4]
    description
    This was a really cute story, that I enjoyed a lot. I liked Cal as the main character, and enjoyed his relationship with Leon, although it did seem a little fast. I liked how a lot of the story revolved around the fact that his family was not perfect, and how he realizes that the Astronauts and their families are also not as perfect as they appear on TV.
    I did feel like the story felt rushed in some places, and would have liked to see the Star Watch do even more terrible things in the name of
    faith ✨
    why is it that lately I have no idea how I feel about the books I read

3.5 stars // rtc

---

guess who has an arc!

I did an interview with Phil Stamper for this book on my blog, and you can check it out here!

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram | CuriousCat | Youtube | Spotify | Discord
    Benjamin (The Maniac)
    Jul 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
    For me, it sounds like everything we know about physics will be challenged by this book.
    ˗ˏˋ ellis ˎˊ˗
    Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4.5 stars!

First of all, thank you so much to Bloomsbury and Edelweiss for sending me an early copy of this book

Okay, I was so excited for this book and I can’t fully believe how much this exceeded my expectations. This book not only has an incredible m/m relationship but it also talks about so many interesting topics. This has drama and romance and politics and that annoying white dude everyone wants to punch in the face.

I have to be honest with y’all, some books when they get into stuff like
    Mary H
    Oct 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
    Eagerly awaiting Phil and Jeremy West's co-written YA sleuth series, but yeah. This'll work. I do love me some Teens in Space who are space adjacent! I love the increase of sci-fi books set in space, but I love that there's also been an increase of contemp books featuring characters who are interested in science and space.
    Caroline
    Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019
    I was lucky enough to read this manuscript and I cannot recommend it enough!! Queer kids and messy families and NASA and romance, this book checks so many boxes. I loved every minute of this one
    turniip
    “I want him to know how remarkable it is that, of the billions of people in the world, I am the one who’s sitting next to him, under stars and the champagne’s haze. I want him to know the improbability of two people meeting like this. This is astounding, no matter how inconsequential it is. Sure, strangers meet all the time. It’s the universe’s way to say we don’t matter. None of this matters.
    Our eyes meet. And it’s clear that, sometimes, the universe is just wrong.”

I have a really, really hard
    TJ
    Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Between NASA drama, gays, and that title, I knew I needed The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper in my life the second I heard about it. I expected a cute, light read — which Gravity totally is, in all the best ways — but it’s also so much more than just two boys falling in love with space stuff going on around them (which I would have been totally satisfied with anyways). Gravity of Us is about utilizing your voice for what’s important, and specifically doing it over social media. A book about a ...more
    Fabian
    Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Okay Phil Stamper... you really just did... THAT!

Full review to come closer to the release
    Iris
    May 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
    OMFG THIS IS THE ACTUAL CUTEST COVER
    Ben Jackson
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This took me back to my time studying in Florida - I lived about half an hour from Cape Canaveral and managed to experience 2 shuttle launches whilst I was there. The excitement is hard to explain, when you think about what it takes for one of these space craft to lift off. On one launch they were having issues and they kept having to pause the launch but they can only pause it so long otherwise they will miss the launch window and have to abandon the launch. They managed to sort the issue with ...more
    Adriana
    Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4.5 Stars

CWs : Brief descriptions of depression, anxiety, and general symptoms of mental health issues

This is one of the most deeply hopeful and empowering YA stories I've read in quite some time. With a smart, headstrong character like Cal facing down the powers of NASA, a massive social media following, and the stress of being thrust into a reality show nightmare, this book takes all the pressure, hopelessness, and cynicism that real teens face on a daily basis and makes it literal. The odds
    Sara
    Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019, queer, young-adult
    Phil Stamper's The Gravity of Us is such a sweet story about an ambitious teen Cal Jr. and how his life goes through an upheaval when his dad signs up and gets chosen to be the last astronaut for a new team heading to Mars. Cal and his parents have to move from Brooklyn to Houston, but also they have to sign up to be the stars of a reality show that follows the astronauts and their families through the prep work before the mission. Cal Jr. is an aspiring reporter and has his own FlashFame ...more
    Sanders Kennedy
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Is this book isn’t turned into a Netflix movie or even on the Silver Screen then I’m gonna be pissed. Being that I’m from Brooklyn and cover pop culture stories on my YouTube channel I felt a close connection to Cal. I have to admit a tear or two fell from my eyes but also laughed at some parts that were too relatable.

You don’t need to know a lot about NASA or love for that matter to enjoy this book, but you will differently walk way learning about both.

Can’t wait to see what Phil writes next.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Only Mostly Devastated
    • Reverie
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • The Lucky Ones
    • How to Be Remy Cameron
    • Tweet Cute
    • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
    • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
    • Woven in Moonlight
    • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
    • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
    • Yes No Maybe So
    • Foul Is Fair
    • We Are Lost and Found
    • Don't Read the Comments
    • Full Disclosure
    • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
    • The Last True Poets of the Sea
    Preorder THE GRAVITY OF US before 2/4/2020 and get a signed bookplate that's been to space! Details at philstamper.com/buy

Phil Stamper grew up in a rural village near Dayton, Ohio. He has a B.A. in Music and an M.A. in Publishing with Creative Writing. And, unsurprisingly, a lot of student debt. He works for a major book publisher in New York City and lives in Brooklyn with his husband and their