Start by marking “The Gravity of Us” as Want to Read:
The Gravity of Us

The Gravity of Us

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  5,810 ratings  ·  1,519 reviews
As a successful social media journalist with half a million followers, seventeen-year-old Cal is used to sharing his life online. But when his pilot father is selected for a highly publicized NASA mission to Mars, Cal and his family relocate from Brooklyn to Houston and are thrust into a media circus.

Amidst the chaos, Cal meets sensitive and mysterious Leon, another “Astro
Published February 4th 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about The Gravity of Us, please sign up.
Phil Stamper Thank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human mis…moreThank you for asking! The teens are actually NOT in space—they're on the ground, but it's a contemporary YA set in the drama of NASA's first human mission to mars. Two sons of astronauts fall in love while their parents vie for the same spot on the mission. <3(less)

·  5,810 ratings  ·  1,519 reviews

Start your review of The Gravity of Us
chai ♡
Ah yes, a book about all my favorite things: space and gay stuff
Phil Stamper
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
me: it's a little weird when authors 5-star their own books right?

also me: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

--UPDATE--
Anyone want to see a little teaser?

THE GRAVITY OF US
Shaun Hutchinson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You guys!!! YOU GUYS!!!!! This book is AMAZING!!!! 👬❤️🚀

Chloe
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars*
I really thought I was going to LOVE this but unfortunately I didn't love it (but I also didn't hate it). I never became super invested in the characters or the story, but I don't think there was anything I specifically didn't like about it? Idk this was a weird one for me.

Thank you so much to Bloomsbury for sending me an early copy!
Miranda Reads
description
Another Booktube video - this time all about the Top 10 Books of 2020 (so far) .

Now that you know this fabulous book made the list, check out the video to see the rest!
description

I'm interested in him purely from a journalistic standpoint.
Cal may only be seventeen but he's breaking barriers for year - his FlashFame account is pushing half a million flowers and people all over the world are tuning in to his reports.

If he plays his cards right, his career is going to skyrocket.

Until...his dad dr
Kai
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, queer
One small step for man, one giant leap for the gay agenda and their mission to conquer the universe.

The Gravity of Us was one of many upcoming queer releases that I was really looking forward to. It is an OwnVoices novel, it's queer, it has a beautiful cover - it ticks all the boxes. The main character is Cal, a teenage boy about to finish his last year of high school with ambitious plans: he wants to become a journalist. Already he has half a million followers on a platform where he regularly p
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Might be more of a 2.5 but I'm rounding up because while I didn't love this, I also didn't full on hate it? The writing style was just not really my favorite and honestly I was also not a huge fan of the main character. This was truly just like, the epitome of meh for me. Big womp :(
Larry H
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This was so beautiful and thought-provoking!!

Cal is a successful social media journalist with over half a million followers. But he doesn’t just make wry or cynical observations, or talk about the latest trends or restaurants in his Brooklyn neighborhood or in NYC. He really uses social media to make a difference, and played a huge part in getting younger people interested in the last presidential election. And people noticed—he landed an internship with BuzzFeed he can’t wait for.

But his whole
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

So, I actually ended up loving this book a lot because it does a lot of things that I would love to see more of in YA.

But more on that in a hot minute.

Cal is a popular video blogger who is becoming well known for his Refinery29-like exposes and journalism. He lives in Brooklyn and loves the fast-paced color of the city life. That's why, when his father makes a surprise announcement that not only has he been hired as an astronaut, but the
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
we always knew the space was gay
Toni
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cal Lewis is a seventeen year old aspiring journalist and news reporter. He has been working very hard on building his account and follower base on a social media site. Cal is passionate about his videos and news updates because he believes people do not just want gossip- they want facts and real information that can help them make choices. Cal is also a planner. He has a schedule for his news updates, he knows what he is going to do in summer (his internship), next year, and how he is going to ...more
Hollis
I wish I could say this was everything sweet and lovely and as interesting that I hoped it would be.. but it wasn't.

This is a story about a space mission, social media, and first love. But the space mission never really felt real until near the end, there was so much streaming or reality tv that I felt like shaking my fist and yelling at kids to get off my non-existent lawn, and the first love was hella insta-love-y and took off at the speed of light.

Additionally this ARC was brutally formatted
ellie
sounds gay, i'm in
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Sep 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
i was mistaken. i misread the maybe bordering on a possibly as a yes... (i don't know HOW i misread that but here we are)
sadness
but i will certainly try to get an audio file from penguin I'M READING THIS BOOK EARLY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
****************
i have just gotten word that i will in fact be getting an ARC

****************
Science + gays = perfection

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Alfredo (Fred)
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could do a Ted Talk about "The Gravity of Us". I listened to the audiobook, which has a full cast to do the voice of some special characters. My reading experience was definitely better because of this incredible production. It's now on Audible.

The main character, Cal, is a 17-year-old boy who updates his millions of followers with the latest news from the world. He has unresolved issues with his best friend and has just discovered that his father was chosen for NASA's new mission to explore M
Emma
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5 Stars

Full review HERE

The Gravity of Us tells such a contemporary story that you really cannot help but feel like it's something that could totally happen in a not-so-distant future.

I always appreciate it when authors manage to include in their books the use of social media in a good and positive way, since it's such a big and important part of our everyday life and also our current cultur
Janice
Aug 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I guess I am supposed to believe that a teenager from NY both got his dad into a national astronaut program AND saved that program from shutting down when things went awry. OK, if I set aside my skepticism and concentrate on the characters' arcs, I am still left with... nothing.

The main character, Cal, has planned out his life as a journalist, but then NASA calls and his family is swept away to Houston practically overnight. Suddenly, Cal's plans have changed and he falls in love just as quickl
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as I should. I didn't pick it up with inhuman high hopes and anticipation but it just didn't work for me. I love the plot, I love the various characters but the plot wasn't executed well and the characters lack development. The writing style irked me the most. Everything was way too convenient. The romance parts seem like they were coming from an adult chicklit. The adult characters came out really weak considering the plot showcased NASA and astronauts and social ...more
Vitor Martins
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020, lgbtq
Sam
May 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
1.5\5

I have never been so crushed about disliking a book.

I was SO excited to read this. It sounded incredibly promising. A queer romance against the backdrop of a NASA mission? Space + gays= exactly what I want. But oh how easily hopes can be squashed.

There were plenty of reasons I disliked this. Most of them have to do with our main character Cal. But I will get into HIS character later. For now, let’s talk about everything else that I wasn’t a fan of.

Firstly, the social media aspect of this
Lala BooksandLala
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Read this during a space-themed reading vlog https://youtu.be/pk5jDe-0MBA ...more
;3
Jun 15, 2019 added it
dnf 😔✋
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
UPDATE:

That moment when the author comments on your post about their book. Like didn’t think that would happen!

———————————————————————————

Science Fiction isn’t my genre of choice BUT I’ll give this a shot.
Feb 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I picked up a copy of this book because I thought it had an interesting premise and because it had great reviews. Unfortunately, after reading it, I have to say that it's a major disappointment.

This book suffers from a wide range of issues, most prominently: (1) an unlikable main character, (2) a lack of romantic tension, and (3) an inconsistent and jumbled plot.

(1) Cal, our main character, is extremely unlikable. In fact, he is a giant dick. No, I don't mean that he has a giant dick (this is YA
Nataliya
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
3/5

This was a quick, easy and overall pleasant read - the kind that’s a bit fluffy and feel-good and light. Entertaining, but also not the kind that will stick in my brain for any foreseeable future. But hey, there’s nothing wrong with that.
Drewthereader20
This was so cute! It took me a while to read it but I really enjoyed it!! My first contemporary in a while!(:
E.
The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper // Or, You Can’t Fix It All And It’s Okay
★★★★☆ | An exploration of human relationships, chasing your dreams and existing is public and private spaces

“I’m leaving. On Monday. Dad’s a fucking astronaut.”

➽ SUMMARY

🚀 m/m
🚀 f&m friendship
🚀 social media
🚀 family
🚀 NASA

Cal had it all planned out. A Buzzfeed internship. Covering the best stories for his FlashFeed channel. Moving in with his best and only friend. A careful patch to the perfect career in journ
Dahlia
In five words: lovely and bighearted space nerdery <3

I can't decide if this makes for a great pairing with THE WEIGHT OF THE STARS by K. Ancrum or if I just wanna see a conversation between the authors in which they talk about writing space-nerd queer YA but either way I like that they exist in the same universe that is my bookshelf.
Jason
Feb 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
A tale about the whiny entitlement and self-obsessed privilege of a social media influencer, who gets to have his inflated sense of Importance completely validated.
The Nerd Daily
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Mimi Koehler

The Gravity of Us was one of my most anticipated reads of 2020 and with a gorgeous cover, an OwnVoices queer romance, and a promising new author, this ticked all of my boxes.

The Gravity of Us follows young Calvin, a promising journalist who is just about to finish high school when his father, a pilot, gets picked to fill the remaining spot for an upcoming NASA mission to Mars that takes Cal’s plans for the future and turns them upsid
Stuck Between the...: Themed BOTM ~ June 2020 4 18 Jun 07, 2020 10:05AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper - Starting June 1st, 2020 45 19 Jun 05, 2020 01:53PM
Just Book It Book...: Chapter 9-18 2 7 Mar 28, 2020 09:18AM

• The Shadows Between Us
  • She's the Worst
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • Love, Creekwood (Simonverse, #3.5)
  • Camp
  • Felix Ever After
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Dear Sweet Pea (Dumplin' 2.5)
  • The Best at It
  • The Music of What Happens
  • Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)
Phil Stamper grew up in a rural village near Dayton, Ohio. He has a B.A. in Music and an M.A. in Publishing with Creative Writing. And, unsurprisingly, a lot of student debt. He works for a major book publisher in New York City and lives in Brooklyn with his husband and their dog.

THE GRAVITY OF US is his first novel, but he’s no stranger to writing. His self-insert Legend of Zelda fanfiction came

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at scout...
“Don't aim to fix people. Fixing seems so permanent, so absolute. Like there's no room for error. Aim to make things better.” 10 likes
“People aren’t broken, and therapists couldn’t fix them if they were. But maybe someone can make things a little better, or help them be a little happier.” 9 likes