Start by marking “In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)

In the Shadow of the Sun

(In the Shadow of the Sun #1)

It’s 1661 in Paris, and magicians thrill nobles with enchanting illusions. Exiled in France, 17-year-old Henriette of England wishes she could use her magic to gain entry at court. Instead, her plan is to hide her magical talents, and accept an arranged marriage to the French king’s younger brother.

Henriette soon realizes her fiancé prefers the company of young men to
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of the Sun, please sign up.
EM Castellan Thanks for your question!
Thanks for your question!
The suggested age range from the publisher is 12-18. IN THE SHADOW OF THE SUN is quite clean in terms of the romance between the characters, with more innuendo of attraction between men/women and men/men, as befits the time and setting of the book, than anything more explicit. Of course, everyone has a different threshold, so if you are concerned about whether it is appropriate for a specific younger reader, one option would be to read it first-- or together.(less)

Start your review of In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
Sarah Glenn Marsh
An utterly enchanting story of intrigue and romance that seamlessly blends magic into history. IN THE SHADOW OF THE SUN casts a spell that makes the past come alive in breathtaking new ways.

In short, I loved it!
Kat
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm one of Eve's critique partners and I can't properly put into words just how magical, romantic, epic, and beautiful this book is, because it's that and more (and has an amazing polyamorous relationship to boot!). Do yourselves a favor and add this to your TBR. I read it in a single day and it's stuck with me ever since, and now it has a gorgeous cover to match its gorgeous insides!
Jennifer Gruenke
This book is an upended bottle of glitter. Stardust raining from the sky. An obscenely expensive highlighter at Sephora. I loved the magic system and all the gorgeous imagery. Historical fantasy fans, you’re going to want to add this one to your list!
Leta Patton
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This! Book!

As someone who is utterly obsessed with well done historical fiction books, this one left me mesmerized. Not only was the histroical detail woven in FLAWLESSLY throughout, it was done in such a way that entranced me and really made me feel like I was there. The descriptions were wonderful, the details were impeccable, and I was left in awe.

The story itself was also wonderful to read. I loved the spin on magic and how it was formed, and thought the way everything was thought up was
Kalyn Josephson
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This debut is the perfect blend of history, magic, and court intrigue.

Mystery and magic combine to create a tense, interesting story filled with characters you'll root for to the end. I never knew quite who to trust, not just because anyone could be the killer, but because anyone could turn against Henriette at any time. Her place at court is precarious, her magic dangerous, and her friendships tenuous.

Throw in a super cool magic system, and this book is full of slow-burn tension and adventure.
MS Zame
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UGGGHHHH I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS
Rachel O'Laughlin
In the Shadow of the Sun is stunning. Not only well-researched, but gorgeously crafted. Not a sentence is wasted. Not a character is forgettable. The magic system might sound familiar, but it had quite a fresh shine when channeled through the protagonist, whose first person voice is so honest and intimate that my curiosity held until I was immersed in her world full of complex relationships, frustrating physical limits, and a desperate cause. Ah, the friendships…the more than/less than ...more
Lissa Hawley
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was an intriguing magical reimagining of Louis XIV's court.
I really enjoyed Henriette's perspective and the descriptions of the glittering court, yet it didn't fall into the trap of many historicals where they over describe every outfit and every end table.

This seems to be a standalone, which is a rarity these days and I enjoyed having a complete story.

Only quibble, there is a weird verbal tic where the author uses the word "sat" incorrectly multiple times, but this was an ARC
Erin Bledsoe.
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Henriette’s journey, the beautiful descriptions, and the historical setting. I feel like this was honestly a breath of fresh air and I rarely find myself captivated enough to read a book in one sitting! I loved it!
♠ TABI ♠
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
there's been a lot of French magic books coming around lately
Jessica Rubinkowski
I loved Henriette! She was such a fun protag to follow and I loved diving into the world of French Court intrigue!
Samantha (The Biblophage)
added it
Sep 09, 2018
Kunya Ng
Sep 15, 2018

• Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • House of Dragons (House of Dragons, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Iron Will of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #2)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Internment
  • Jane Against the World: Roe v. Wade and the Fight for Reproductive Rights
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • If These Wings Could Fly
  • What Kind of Girl
  • Heart Talk: Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life
  • Woven in Moonlight
EM Castellan is a writer of YA Historical Fantasy novels. She grew up in France, but she now lives in London. A lover of all things historical, she has a particular fondness for 17th Century France and Ancient Rome. Her stories on Wattpad have been featured twice and read over 350,000 times, with THE BRIGHT AND THE LOST the winner of the 2017 Wattpad Awards (Wattys) in the Newcomers category. Her ...more

In the Shadow of the Sun (2 books)
  • Untitled (In the Shadow of the Sun #2)