Start by marking “Glitch Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Glitch Kingdom

Glitch Kingdom

The teenage daughter of an executioner and the traitorous prince she can't kill must reluctantly join forces to dethrone a paranoid queen after discovering they are trapped in a video game in Sheena Boekweg's fast-paced YA debut, Glitch Kingdom...

Ryo was the golden boy, the prankster prince, but with one stroke of a pen he has lost everything. Dagney and Grigfen were happy
Published February 18th 2020 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Glitch Kingdom, please sign up.
Sheena Boekweg Hello! Bluebird is not THE main character, but she is a main character and does have a POV. She is a Black nerd who loves Marvel, Doctor Who, and ship…moreHello! Bluebird is not THE main character, but she is a main character and does have a POV. She is a Black nerd who loves Marvel, Doctor Who, and ships Stormpilot. She has muscular dystrophy. SPOILERS AHEAD: She is not miraculously cured, she does not die, or risk her life to teach an abled hero a lesson. She is well loved by an adorable dork, and has a happy ending that again DOES NOT CURE HER. Thanks for asking a question!(less)
Sheena Boekweg There are two romantic relationships: a loathe to love, and an online friendship turned OTP.
There are several good kisses, but nothing further.…more
There are several good kisses, but nothing further.(less)

Start your review of Glitch Kingdom
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
After this book sitting in "currently reading purgatory" for the better part of a month, I think it's time to throw in the towel and DNF. So boring. :/

GR review to come, or read it early HERE.
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
This isn't a want. It's a need.

Me sees cover
description

When your publisher does you dirty with a cover

description
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
So, is this cover a mock-up for syfy tv shows? or is this a legit cover with no background story and it's just this bad? I need answers.....

Still excited for the book and some *hopefully* positive disability rep!
Chelsies Reading Escape
Oct 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
My sincerest condolences to the author for this terrible cover. I have no idea how a publisher okayed it.
Ashlee » Library In The Country
MY GAMER HEART NEEEEDS THIS.
Sheena Boekweg
May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Glitch Kingdom will press start (get it?) FEB 18, 2020!

Buy links
(Keep your receipts! A preorder campaign is coming!)

ARC links

Glitch Kingdom is a standalone. It's absolutely the book of my nerdy heart, and I can't wait to share it with you all.
April Clausen
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm very lucky to have read this book before its release. It is beautiful. The characters! They are so well written - you wish you could spend an afternoon hanging out with them. Each of the characters has their own battles, and you are cheering for each of them to find their own happily ever after. The world building is amazing, and I think I won't be the only one who wants to step into this virtual world. I cannot recommend this enough!
Mikki Helmer
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I was surprised by the beginning and delighted by the middle and thrilled by the ending. This is definitely another “don’t judge this book by the cover” reads! But now that I’m done I love the cover!

Rio is a charming guy but I am Team Dagne forever. I love seeing big girls get the job done without all the skinny girl fuss.

Can we just talk about the diversity? The author did her homework and these characters felt so real!

10/10 will read again.
Margaret Schoen
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished
I've just started and this is decent but oh MY that cover is SO, SO, BAD.

Like bad enough that I don't want to put the book in my currently reading poster I keep on my desk at my library, or even post on Goodreads that I'm reading this book.

This is a review of an ARC from Edelweiss.

Update: OK, done. A group of players are testing out a new, totally immersive role-playing game. In fact, it's so immersive some of them don't even realize they're playing a game, instead believing they're princes, m
Alechia
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HOLY ADVENTURE BATMAN. Dagney is so badass, and I love, LOVED, the positive body rep. Also Grigfen. He's adorable. This book will definitely resonate with readers, especially gamers and anyone who loves the idea of The Witcher meets Jumanji. It's really fun and engaging, and I can't wait to read more from this author!!
John Clark
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ever been on the wrong side of an in-joke? Ever wanted a do-over with someone you screwed up with? Ever been in a dream that made you feel trapped? Welcome to the Glitch Kingdom. Imagine a computer game so big and vivid you can feel like you're really there, then imagine that actually happening. This is the situation a bunch of teens find themselves in. Most were selected following a worldwide competition, but there's one who was snuck in for a different reason and that inclusion came with conse ...more
Sarah ➖Goddess of Mischief➖
Wait--you mean to tell me that this book is about A GROUP OF GAMERS WHO GET SUCKED INTO AN RPG?!

Update: THIS SOUNDS LIKE SAO!

*Flashback to when I was in fourth grade and my friends and I wrote a short story about some kids who got sucked into Minecraft*

UPDATE: Oy, that is one cringe cover, but the author says there's a gonna be a disabled black Whovian so I'll stick it out
Dax
This was legitimately badass! I appreciate the nerd culture head nods, the diverse cast, and the high stakes that gave me tummy aches forcing me to keep reading long into the night.
Brittney
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, fantasy, ya, 2020-reads
So to be perfectly honest, I almost put this book down after the first bit. I didn’t *get* and it just kinda throws you into a story I wasn’t prepared for.

But I’m so glad I stayed with it. The characters were all so believable and diverse. It had a great ending too. And I’m always a fan of a plus size girl loving herself, and being loved by others.

It does remind me of other works I’ve seen, and it even has a call out to Sword Art Online which is very similar...though I hated that anime. And end
Amber
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, but I hope the authors publisher looks at her goodreads. You did this author dirty by giving her this book cover. I almost didn’t read it, even though I love the concept and enjoyed the book. What on earth are you doing over there, Macmillan? This cover is awful
Stacey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early edition of this fantastically creative novel. It was AMAZING. There were so many plot twists and mysteries... I sped through the story because I just HAD TO KNOW what was going to happen.

I’m so excited this story is going to be out in the world soon and I can wait to read the final version!
Mary H
May 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
Hi, yes, I need this immediately.
Rachel
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

Mostly, I found this book entertaining, filled with gamer and nerdy references that made my nerd heart happy, likable characters that come alive on the page, and positive representation of atypical heroines (AKA a curvy girl who has been bullied but is totally BA and fiery and a Black disabled girl who refuses to let her disability keep her from living her life).

I did love these positive aspects. Plus, all in all, I look f
Aoife
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A medieval fantasy given a unique new twist...it's all just a game. But the consequences are deadly real.

A dethroned prince, a feisty noble woman, the prince's best friend, and a quest to reclaim lost treasures to keep the kingdom safe. So far, so normal, right? But this is anything but normal. The characters are players in a hugely immersive new game. A glitch in the software means they're trapped until they win the game, and if they die, they really die. And one player, who must kill all the o
Bookishlor
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-scifi, arcs
3/5 stars

I thought this YA fantasy gamer story was fun, action packed with a side of teen romance.

Even though the story started off well, I did get a bit confused. I didn't understand that the characters didn't know yet that they were really humans trapped in the game. After a few chapters, I realized what was going on and the story was better. The overall pacing was a bit slow and there were multiple player points of view throughout the story. I really enjoyed when the characters came across co
Library Queen
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The cover on this almost made me skip it, it's atrocious. But the description won me over and I decided to read it.

I am soooooo glad I did.

Guys, this is so much better than that other takes place in a video game book (Ready Player One. Obviously.).

This has got heart, and great characters that pretty much never get to be heroes. I mean, when's the last time you read about - a girl with muscular dystrophy, a girl who says she's fat and doesn't care, and a theater geek girl - and they get to be th
Shannon Takaoka
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roaring20sdebut, ya
GLITCH KINGDOM is a wild ride. This RPG-inspired YA debut includes multiple layers of rich world-building, deploying a breakneck story-within-a-story structure that will keep you on the edge of your seat to the very end. Sheena Boekweg has conjured up a fantastic premise, but ultimately what hooked me the most were the characters: Dagney, gutsy and resourceful; Ryo, a flirt with hidden depths; sweet, loyal Grigfen; Bluebird/Zoe, the most adorable nerd-girl who also happens to kick ass. I was roo ...more
Rebecca McLaughlin
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GLITCH KINGDOM is such a fun read! It is filled to the brim with nerd culture references, while simultaneously tackling diversity in the form of having a badass black disabled girl (muscular dystrophy) who goes by Bluebird and happens to be the best at what she loves; an Asian-American boy (Ryo) who must deal with the loss he has suffered in his real life which makes the virtual reality all the more painful yet tempting to stay in; and a proud and strong girl, who has suffered bullying due to he ...more
CR
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This one didn't have a cover when I grabbed and now that it does..............Well I am kind of disappointed. The story though was one that was very unique. I am kind of torn between really loving it and well really hating it. It is one of those stories that although I liked parts of it others just didn't do it for me. This one though was one where kids are put into this VR game and its so real that some of them don't even remember that they are in a game. It really gave me vibes of Ready Player ...more
Samantha Hastings
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Author Boekweg is a master mage story-crafter and her words had me under a spell.

Real teens get stuck in an immersive RPG (Role Playing Game) and if they die in the game, they die in real life. The only way to live is to win. The only problem? Not all the teens know they’re in a game, or that when they kill others really die.

The cast is diverse and dynamic! I loved how Dagney was body positive even after being bullied. Ryo’s stories weaved together for the perfect world-building game. Grig and
Bookish Fiend
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you edelweiss for the chance to read and review this free copy.

I enjoyed this book! The four star rating isn't because I found anything majorly wrong with it, but it's because I sort of forgot about the book for a while after reading. It didn't latch itself in my mind, like the book I rate 5 stars do. But I enjoyed the positive fat rep and the overall nerdiness of this book quite a lot! It just didn't feel super innovative to me.
Karin Biggs
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yes, the cover could be better....but this is a great book, guys! I'm not a gamer and I really enjoyed it - there's romance, epic battles, magic, pretty much everything you could hope for from this genre! Plus, the writing is spot on and the character development is super engaging. (Dagney is my hero!) So, please don't let the cover stop you from picking up this gem - it's well worth a read!
Kendra Lusty
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So I really love this book. I thought it was fun and fast paced.

I love the RPG tropes, but more than that, I love the characters geeking out over the the RPG tropes. They're adorably gleeful over the terrain and challenges, and with good reason. The dungeons, landscapes and castles are so beautiful and imaginative.

And holy cow that kiss.
Bev Kodak
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Ready Player One for women. Y'all, this book is so good. It has it all- epic battles, fierce loyalties, friendships, romance, video game and pop culture references. It is so good. The only two things I didn't LOVE are the title (Glitch Kingdom is a bit lame), and the cover (could've been so much more epic). Read this book. You will not be disappointed.

• The Sound of Stars
  • What I Like About You
  • A Song Below Water (A Song Below Water, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • Star Daughter
  • The Grace Year
  • When We Were Magic
  • The Silence of Bones
  • Reverie
  • Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)
  • A Taste of Sage
  • Clean My Space: The Secret to Cleaning Better, Faster--And Loving Your Home Every Day
  • In the Closed Room
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers #1)
Sheena Boekweg grew up reading books with tree branches peeking over her shoulder. Her novels Glitch Kingdom and A Sisterhood of Secret Ambitions, both with Feiwel and Friends/Macmillan, feature fat positive girls with ambitions, love stories, and sometimes battle axes. She's a contributor to Every Body Shines, a fat-positive anthology publishing May 2021 with Bloomsbury, and is an alumni of the 2 ...more