Start by marking “Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)

Havenfall

(Havenfall #1)

A safe haven between four realms and the girl sworn to protect it—at any cost.

Hidden deep in the mountains of Colorado lies the Inn at Havenfall, a sanctuary that connects ancient worlds—each with its own magic. For generations, the inn has protected all who seek refuge within its walls, and any who disrupt the peace can never return.

For Maddie Morrow, summers at the inn a
Published March 3rd 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about Havenfall, please sign up.
Maya Ma I don't think its worse than Harry Potter, but there are some swearing going on. I think the action parts are also a bit more violent than Harry Potte…moreI don't think its worse than Harry Potter, but there are some swearing going on. I think the action parts are also a bit more violent than Harry Potter, but not a lot difference. (less)

Start your review of Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
jessica
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
im not a fan of novellas, so no one is more surprised than me when i say this would be better as a novella and serve as a .5 prequel to a main series. and heres why i think that:
- while the plot and world-building is definitely unique, i dont feel the high-stakes intensity that should accompany some of the more ‘life altering’ situations that occur in this. i do think that will come later on in the series, now that an introduction has been made to how the world works, why it is what it is, and t
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ p.55

This was kind of intolerable and read like self-insertion fic. Maddie was such a Mary Sue. When I was a teenager, it was really popular on Quizilla for people to write about characters who had these totally messed up home lives who were then spirited away to this alternate world or dimension where they were the chosen one and (of course) there was a really hot guy.

Well, this book has all of that. Maddie's uncle is the owner o
C.G. Drews
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of those fun, light fantasies that are so good to devour over a lazy weekend. I'm noticing a lot of portal fantasy cropping up recently and I'm here for it. This also had such cozy feelings of home and family...plus, you know, monsters and multiverses threatening to break and magical conspiracy theories. All the good stuff.

things to look forward to in this book
➢ magical inn that's the intersection of 4 worlds
➢ Maddie is queer! (Maybe bi?) and three other pivotal characters are gay to
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I love the cover, this one and the author's Everless duo. Reading this book, one thing stuck out was the constant reminder of Maddie's unhappiness that resulted from what happened with her brother. She seems to have a lack of confidence, at Havenfall and even less at home in Sterling. The love was pre-existing so there wasn't any flirts or banters. I don't enjoy following Maddie's thoughts so much so I feel the narrative was lengthy. With these characteristics to start the story out, I become le ...more
Ari
Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Amazon | B&N

Thank you NetGalley and Bloomsbury YA for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

Havenfall combines two of my guiltiest reading pleasures, fantasy and mystery, to deliver the story about a girl tasked with the job of overlooking a safe house between magical worlds during a time of strife.

In theory, the story could be exciting: humans and two of the fantastical worlds that have an alliance come together once a year to celebrate and discuss matters o
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
I said once long ago whilst reading the sampler that if the hot motorbike girl Taya wasn't the love interest, I would be politely demanding answers because there were strong sapphic vibes.

So it is with great delight I can confirm that yes, she is totally a love interest (along with some handsome guy; okay, there might be a love triangle in future but you cannot deny that the heroine harbours some major crush on her and later books have a high possibility of f/f.)

In addition, YES, the heroine is
Lucy Langford
1.5**

This book had a really interesting set up and the first 50 pages I was kind of intrigued...but I found the rest just didn’t deliver. There wasn’t much world building and it was difficult to empathise with the characters. There was a romance which I don’t think added anything to the plot. As well as a MC who was frustrating and naive / made stupid choices consistently.

Overall I just didn’t enjoy this one with most things making me eye roll.
sarah xoxo
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
"to everyone who's ever felt like they don't have a place"

the summary
Havenfall follows Maddie Morrow, a teenage girl who helps her uncle at an inn every summer. The inn, Havenfall, is a meeting point for people from four different realms to congregate.

"The centre of everything, the heart. A home for people from all the worlds."

The inn is Maddie's safe space, away from her troubles at home, and she hopes to one day take over from her uncle as innkeeper. But one day, a door to a previously sealed
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
BEAUTIFULLY CRAFTED FANTASY WORLD

Rating this book took me a while, because there were things I liked and things I disliked and I couldn't figure out which weighed the most for me. So, in the end, I settled for a 3 star rating.

👍 WHAT I LIKED 👍

Universe: Havenfall is the neutral passageway between the different world, where Earth is one of them. I really liked this concept, this idea, and I felt like it was well crafted and thought out world with a rich history, that I look forward to getting into
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
“We all want to believe the best of intentions in others... But it's not always the truth.”

representation: bisexual MC, lesbian side character, m/m side relationship.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

✧·゚: ✧·゚: 4 s t a r s :·゚✧:·゚✧

YOOOO THIS WAS SO GOOD. I did not expect the bi, lesbian & gay rep and it was so nice to see! I loved everything about this, except for the fact that it was super predictable, but it was still so much fun! I also high
rachel ☾
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
i swear all the characters shared a single brain cell

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
greta ⛈️
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
wow what a ride. i definitely recommend this book for fantasy lovers. specially for those who love reading about different worlds, different abilities and magic. it wasn't like, the best fantasy book ever written but it's definitely worth to pick up. i connected with all the characters in this book, felt Maddie's fear, rage, love, faith —literally everything and after reading this i feel so damn proud of her, developing herself into amazing inkeeper 😭 the romance in this book is slight enough to ...more
alana ♡
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
"You're strong enough to make hard choices in service of the greater good."

Sara Holland is back with another beautifully written world that combines a lot of fantasy and mystery elements together. I would be 100% lying if I said I didn't fly through this and read it in two sittings. And despite the fact that I did give it a three star rating there is a lot in here that I think readers will fall in love with. Plus, can we all just agree that the over of this is STUNNING, like, totally gorgeou
Ashlee » Library In The Country
There is a lot that worked for me in this book, but more that didnt or just not enough. Full thoughts to come.
Lilith Black Bee
2 chapters sample provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am completely hooked! These 2 chapters made me want to read this book so so much! I have no words, though I feel like I am full of them! It passed such a long time since I got this fast involved in a book! I am 90% sure that this one will be my top 10 for 2020! March, please come faster!

You can follow my TWITTER

If you want to support me, you can check my WHISHLIST
Mel (Epic Reading)
Surrounded by dozens of capable adults our teen leading gal ends up running a whole inn that houses three different species (including humans) from three different worlds (including Earth). If you’re thinking; wow this girl is a special snowflake isn’t she? You’d be bang on. She’s also dumb as a post. Sara Holland brings up an interesting set-up and story; but unfortunately it is plagued by teen tropes, a clueless heroine, and a really skewed view of mental health.

Dumbest Girl Ever
I don’t even
Eliza ☽
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
How many times will I give authors who have disappointed me second chances before I just go ahead and call myself a masochist?
Michelle
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Havenfall is the first book in the young adult fantasy series by the same name from author Sara Holland. I loved Havenfall. I think it has such a unique premise, and it was that setup that had me dying to read Havenfall. And I have to say, Sara Holland did a fantastic job with this world. Reading Havenfall completely lived up to it's initial premise, and I am super excited to read the next book in the series.

In Havenfall we meet our main character Maddie. The highlight of Maddie's year is the s
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
⠀⠀✧ • ° . ◦ *⠀┊ three and a half stars.

⠀for me, there is no question this book is 3.5 stars. to my understanding this will be a series and i will most likely continue with it. ( * i feel as if the majority of my gripes will not continue in the second book based on what has happened in this book). with that said, i rolled my eyes far too many times and swore this book wouldn’t receive a rating higher than 3 stars for 75% of the novel. the last fourth of the book really saved it for me.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀
NAT.orious reads ☾
Jan 28, 2020 marked it as to-read-home-shelf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bc-january-2021
At this point, I severely regret not choosing a career in private investigation. Yet again I am bold enough to proclaim I might know something you don't know.

Vee
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish

This was one of two books I read at the same time, that I found difficult to finish because I was just so incredibly bored (the other one was Girl, Serpent, Thorn). Originally I thought that this may because we've just hit the Coronavirus epidemic, but after finishing the books I realised that they both have major issues that affected my reading.

If I told you that this was an Agatha Christie style murder mystery at a magical inn with guests from different worl
Nicole
Havenfall

An Inn hidden on a mountain with spectacular surroundings and view. Who doesn't want to stay there. I definitely would. I sounds like a magical place to be.🌲

"A home for everyone who needs it, with her doors wide open."
Fantasybooksrus
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Special thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing for sending me the set of arcs as well as a finished copy of Havenfall for my review.

When I received my finished copy of Havenfall from Bloomsbury Publishing a week and a half ago I knew it was a sign that I absolutely needed to start this amazing new series as soon as possible which I’m very glad I did.

Havenfall is set amongst the mountainous ranges of Colorado where the inn at Haven holds a special secret. For years Haven has served as a neutral point
Bethany
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Seriously this might be my favorite cover of 2020! It's just stunning. And the book is fun and a very quick read, but readers should know what they are getting.

Havenfall is a contemporary YA fantasy set in the mountains of Colorado. It would make a fantastic CW show and definitely feels targeted at teens (as opposed to more of a crossover story for a mixed audience). It's very fast-paced and surprising number of plot threads are pulled together in this relatively short book. There is teen angst
anna ✩
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
WOW - 4 out of 5 stars.

I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this. Havenfall is a safe haven between four realms, one of which has been sealed closed in order to protect all the other 3 and maintain peace amongst them. Maddie is the niece of the current Haven Inn Innkeeper, the human responsible for ensuring peace between the realms and stability at Havenfall. Maddie aspires to be the Innkeeper - and this summer, she gets to.
This is one of those fantasy novels that’s just easy and fun to read. I ma
Candace Robinson
This is the second book I’ve tried by the author and I couldn’t connect to this one either. The writing is very good but I just didn’t love the MC as much as I wanted to.
Amybibliophile
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
I was provided with an ARC and finished copy of Havenfall, and to be a part of Bloomsbury's blog tour for this exciting new title! However this has in no way influenced my thoughts, my review is my own.

Sara Holland's first duology Everless was my absolute favourites when I read it last year, so I could waste no time when it came to having Havenfall in my hands - I started this book with immense expectations.... and it was exactly what I wanted it to be!

Maddie wants to become Innkeeper at the Inn
Jenny Baker
Mar 22, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: fantasy, 2020, young-adult
It took me three days to read 58 pages. I've been off work those three days, so I should have been able to finish this book in one day. The premise sounds interesting and it could have been a fun read, but the storytelling is so damn boring. I just can't continue. Sorry.

I really enjoyed Everless and Evermore, but this book does nothing for me. In those 58 pages, nothing happens. It's mostly worldbuilding with some info dumping and a few scenes with boring dialogue. If I had finished the book an
micolreads
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the Inn between worlds, Havenfall, where creatures and people gather all together.

The strong point of this book is definitely the world building, beautifully crafted, in wich you want to dive since the beginning. The first 3 chapters are a bit boring; you just learn a lot about the worlds and the Inn’s work; and after them you just jump into the story and you can’t stop reading till the very end. It’s short, it may have been longer, but at the same time I appreciate that the author di
Natalie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a sample copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

The sample copy of this book is great! The beginning gives a small amount if information as a build up to setting the scene for the story and I enjoyed what I read and will definitely read the rest of the book when I can get my hands on it.

• Crossroads and the Dominion of Four
  • Found (House of Night Other World, #4)
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Hawk
  • Supernatural Academy: Year Two (Supernatural Academy, #2)
  • Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (The Twilight Saga)
  • Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Lab Partners
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Wolf Gone Wild  (Stay a Spell, #1)
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • This Lovely City
  • I Hope You Get This Message
Sara Holland is the New York Times-bestselling author of EVERLESS and HAVENFALL. She grew up in small-town Minnesota among hundreds of books. She worked in a tea shop, a dentist’s office, and a state capitol building before heading to New York to work in publishing. These days, she can be found exploring the city’s bookstores or finding new ways to put caffeine in her bloodstream.

Havenfall (2 books)
  • Phoenix Flame

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at...
“You have more happy memories than scary ones, don't you? Why give the scary ones so much space in your head?” 6 likes
“Hij denkt, weet ik veel, dat ik de risico's van hier zijn niet begrijp... Maar dat doe ik wel. Het begrijpen, bedoel ik. En het maakt me niets uit.” 0 likes