Start by marking “The Silence of Bones” as Want to Read:
The Silence of Bones

The Silence of Bones

I have a mouth, but I mustn't speak;
Ears, but I mustn't hear;
Eyes, but I mustn't see.

1800, Joseon (Korea). Homesick and orphaned sixteen-year-old Seol is living out the ancient curse: “May you live in interesting times.” Indentured to the police bureau, she’s been tasked with assisting a well-respected young inspector with the investigation into the politi
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence of Bones

Untitled by Sarah J. MaasUntitled by Leigh BardugoOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsUntitled by Susan Dennard
YA Novels of 2020
668 books — 1,244 voters
All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana  UrbanThe Lucky Ones by Liz LawsonA Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown
YA Debuts 2020
110 books — 219 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Silence of Bones
June Hur
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
THE SILENCE OF BONES is, in part, my love letter to Korean history. I was born in South Korea, but I was raised in Canada, and spent all of my teenage years obsessing over British history, Jane Austen and BBC dramas. In short, I grew up knowing almost nothing about Korean history, except for the brief stories my parents shared with me, and the snippets I learned about whenever I managed to stay awake during Korean history class (back when I studied in South Korea).

Then everything changed for me
Amélie Zhao
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book, you guys. My heart just filled with ten thousand rivers of emotions and tears. Set in Korea in the 1800s, TEN THOUSAND RIVERS follows the journey of Seol, a girl indentured to the police bureau who becomes caught up in an investigation of a murder. She quickly becomes entangled with the dark secrets and political intrigue surrounding the case.

TEN THOUSAND RIVERS swept me away to ancient Korea, filled with misty mountains and hazy, foggy cities; paddy fields and oceans. Jun
♠️ TABI ♠️
Aug 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
GUYS I AM LIVING FOR THESE CULTURALLY-CORRECT AND STUNNING COVERS OKAY . . . and now I feel weird because I truly SAW this cover, okay!! It was on Goodreads and it was beautiful . . . and now it's gone??? I am confused and devastated.

a n y w a y s

considering I am learning the Korean language, culture, and basically as much as I can about that country . . . yes, this is calling my name very loudly.

yay we have a new cover . . . although I loved the first one better and I'm still super hyped/>yay
Elora   Cook
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the utmost pleasure of reading this a while back and adored every word. June's writing is breathtaking, her characters pull at your heart, and her mystery is both alluring and constantly leaves you guessing!
I am so excited that others will be able to read this beautiful book as well and that someone as deserving as June gets to have her words be out in the world.
Everyone, you are doing yourself a favour by adding this book to your TBR!
shri (sunandchai)
Full review on my blog!

I want to start off with a thank you to the publisher, Feiwel and Friends, for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Silence of Bones is one of my most anticipated releases of 2020, and I could not contain my excitement at the chance to read it. Seriously, I dropped my entire TBR just to dig into The Silence of Bones. And lads, it did not disappoint.

I went in expecting a dark and generally typical who-done-it murder mystery
Tanya
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this stunning debut novel and I'm left with so many feelings. When I started reading this, I really didn't have much knowledge about this period in Korean history. So the fact that I was immediately immersed in the atmosphere and the culture and its people is quite amazing. Part of its success has to do with Hur's exquisite prose, which makes it so easy to imagine the atmosphere, and feel as if you're standing right there with the characters. The other part is how the main charac ...more
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
The setting and the mystery have me really excited to learn more about this book. I am intrigued by the fact that the main character becomes a suspect as well. Seol sounds like a character that I would really enjoy.
Claire
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My excitement for this book knows no bounds!
Liz Lawson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished THE SILENCE OF BONES last night, late. This book is phenomenal. It's a well-paced, well-plotted mystery, but it's also so much more than that. It's an exploration on family, about what loyalty means, and is just gorgeously written. I felt like I was in 1800's Korea, traveling alongside Seol.

I could not recommend this book more highly -- I'm so excited for it to get into the world and for other people to have the opportunity to read it. An absolutely stunning debut.
Sasha Nanua
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic, twisty tale following a murder investigation in 1800s Korea. If I could pre-order it right now, I would. I am so excited for the world to read this book in 2020! Congrats, June!
Becca
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had time to gather my thoughts (and the pieces of my broken heart...) about June Hur's stunning debut TEN THOUSAND RIVERS which is the historical murder mystery of your D R E A M S.

so now it’s time for some screaming.

set in 1800's Korea, TEN THOUSAND RIVERS is told through the eyes of 16yo Seol, who is indentured to the local police (i'd die for her) this is genuinely one of the most immersive historical books I've read it ages. Every detail feels true. You're in another time e
rachel ☾
◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Fallon DeMornay
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
June has created a work of art with this breathtaking debut.

** review to come **
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
GIVE IT TO ME NOW! KOREAN AND CANADIAN AUTHOR?! HERE! FOR! IT!
Tasya Dita
I'm not really interested on the murder mystery, I think it's too convoluted and has too many players. But the setting is just perfect and the two familial storylines that were happening really tugged at my heartstrings!

Full review to come.
☾ h a d e e r ☽
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
i am so goddamn excited for this book why is it SO FAR AWAY
Shaylin Fox
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book goes well beyond lovely, to the point that I can only describe it with words like "innovative", "brilliant" and "haunting".

The setting and writing are atmospheric, and as a Western reader, I felt utterly transported to a world that, while fresh and unfamiliar, felt tangibly intimate when seen through the eyes of the main character, Seol. I could smell the mists of dynasty-era Korea, and as the story moves gracefully through the twists and turns of the murder mystery at its
Roselle
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful, historical mystery rich with details. I love Hur's writing style and how evocative and attentive she is to the era. She kept me guessing from beginning to end. After I finished, I was satisfied with how she developed the overall mystery and subplots and how everything came together well.

I highly recommend this to mystery and historical fiction lovers.
Chloe
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Spoiler free, 4.75 stars*

I had seen this one around quite a lot online and it looked pretty interesting. I knew I wanted to give it a shot at some point, but I wasn't sure when I was going to get to. It didn't seem like a book I would normally read, so I put it off. But, I recently had the urge to give it a try, so I did. And I am very, very glad I did. Trigger warnings: torture, abuse, suicide, death, gore

I've never really found a historical fiction books that I really love. T
Adiba Jaigirdar
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a unique and stunning book. I feel like I haven't read a book quite like this before. The mystery had so many layers, and it's rare to read a mystery that is so well composed. When I reached the end, I was both shocked and satisfied, because all the answers completely lined up, but I would have never guessed it. Though the heart of this book is the mystery and police investigation of a murder, The Silence Of Bones uses this mystery to delve into a period of history that I knew nothing a ...more
Kat Cho
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
June Hur paints a beautiful picture of Joseon Korea in her gripping historical mystery novel. An intriguing tale that touches on class, honor, the value of one's beliefs, and the lengths one is willing to go for loyalty and family. Hur presents such a vivid portrayal of the Joseon Era that it's like stepping back in time. With its breathtaking prose and complex characters, this mystery novel is sure to keep you guessing until the very end!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Sounds intriguing....
Maria Dong
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just. Wow.

This book is so amazing. It's a high-stakes twisty mystery, where almost everybody could be the killer, and every loyalty could get you killed. It's a historical with a lush and well-realized setting, in an incredibly interesting time and place. The characters are amazing, the prose is beautiful, and the emotional impact of the plot and the ENDING jeez!

I'm so glad I got a chance to read this book early, and I can't wait for the next thing by this author!
KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books
You didn't have me at historical murder mystery

BUT

You did have me at 1800s Korea. Bring it on.
Amy
Many thanks to EdelweissPlus and the publisher for providing me with a DRC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

When I read the blurb that stated this book was perfect for fans of Renee Ahdieh and Kerri Manascalco, I was hooked. I love both of those authors and so this was an obvious request for me. Sadly, I was a bit disappointed. The story line started off strong with a murder discovery and a "who-dun-it" type of premise. But, after about half way it began to drag. It
Leonard Romano
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Wow. When you finish reading a book and the first words that you utter are “wow”, it’s a self-confirmation that you read something truly special. This was an amazing murder-mystery set during a time period piece/masterpiece. I was enthusiastically being educated of early 19th century Joseon Korea during a time of religious persecution, while contemporaneously reading a fictional who dunnit. Historical characters interact with fictional character as Seol, an indentured servant, is assisting the p ...more
Rachel  Kellis
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come, as soon as I scrape all of my emotions back together.
Kat
#Edelweiss
#TheSilenceofBones
A intriguing and well plotted debut that will appeal to older teens and adults. A well written political mystery/thriller for young adults and new adult readers.
Shaylin Gandhi
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a hauntingly beautiful mystery set in feudal Korea; it gets under your skin and doesn't leave. A must read!
Evan Clark
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review to come

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Rebelwing (Rebelwing, #1)
  • The Lucky Ones
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Jade Fire Gold
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Star Daughter
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Reverie
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
June Hur was born in South Korea and raised in Canada, except for the time when she moved back to Korea and attended high school there. Most of her work is inspired by her journey through life as an individual, a dreamer, and a Christian, with all its confusions, doubts, absurdities and magnificence. She studied History and Literature at the University of Toronto. When she's not writing, she works ...more