Start by marking “Brown Baby Lullaby” as Want to Read:
Brown Baby Lullaby

Brown Baby Lullaby

From sunset to bedtime, two brown-skinned parents lovingly care for their beautiful brown baby: first, they play outside, then it is time for dinner and a bath, and finally a warm snuggle before bed.

With Spanish words sprinkled throughout and featuring warm art by New York Times-bestselling and NAACP-Award-winning illustrator AG Ford, Brown Baby Lullaby is the perfect new
Published January 14th 2020 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Brown Baby Lullaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brown Baby Lullaby

Start your review of Brown Baby Lullaby
Bookishrealm
This was a really cute book! I loved that it featured Afro-Latinx family which I haven't seen a lot of in picture books! It made my heart sing. The text was easy to follow and I really enjoyed the illustrations. This books doesn't necessarily have a plot, but it does capture the love that is shared between to parents and their baby. It celebrates brown skin and Afro-Latinx roots. In my opinion, it is the best part of this book. The illustrations are done will with rich colors. I loved the ...more
Leslie
In the soft glow of both the sunset and the yellow-washed pages following, a brown baby is being put to bed. Their lullaby begins earlier than most representations of the nighttime ritual. It begins in the kitchen in the preparation of the evening meal. Actually, earlier, as they gather up to return to the indoors from a picnic. It’s as if its building a memory of a perfect day.

A constant from the beginning, besides the rhythms of a lullaby, is how the baby boy is kept in the company of his
Donna Earnhardt Earnhardt
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last week, I was given the chance to read an ARC of this beautiful book. The words and illustrations worked in tandem, tugging at my heartstrings from the very first page. My mind drifted back to the days when my teens were babies and... Oh! My heart! Suddenly, my eyes were wet (I'm not crying -- you are!) and I had to pull myself together before I could turn the page. Over the next half of the book, my heart continued to melt in response to the tender and beautiful interactions between the ...more
Jared White
Well, I was reading this book as I was working on the Youth Services desk at our public library and as soon as I was done a little girl took it out of my hands and is thoroughly looking at at each picture. I think one reason she was drawn to it is because the characters actually look like her!

A cute book with fun pictures and text to go along with them. Having a few Spanish words mixed in is also neat.
Alesha
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brown Baby Lullaby follows a toddler and his parents throughout their daily routine - playtime, meals, bath time, and finally, bedtime. The life-like illustrations capture the family perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised to simple Spanish vocabulary sprinkled throughout this book. It's just enough to celebrate language without being intimidating to non-Spanish speakers. This is definitely one to add to the repertoire!
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Preschool
Identity: Afro Latinx
Identity, Author: African American
Identity, Illustrator: African American

A joyful, loving family go through a common nighttime routine once the sun starts to set.

This illustrator is on fire. I adore all of his books including Under the Same Sun, Littles, and Goal.
Sandy
Such a sweet story about two parents singing a heartwarming lullaby to their beautiful brown baby. I was pleasantly surprised to see some Spanish sprinkled in the lullaby. Illustrations are gorgeous and accompany the text perfectly. Would 100% recommend for personal and public library collections ...more
Brittany Thurman
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not only does this book show a brown baby, it also
shows two bilingual parents, who are also brown- which is so important!!! This book is perfect for a Baby storytime, and I would say for young toddlers, too. The text is rhythmic, and the images are playful. Such a sweet and needed story.
Jenn Adams
Cute book that follows a baby and its parents through the day leading up to bedtime. Afro-latinx representation, with some very simple Spanish mixed in ("vamos" "agua"), which you don't see very often.
Cindy Dobrez
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm thankful that books like Brown's exist to help make bedtime reading a universal act.
Mary
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book, with lovely illustrations! I love that there is Spanish sprinkled throughout without a translation. As I heard somewhere before, it's unapologetically Spanish!
Syntha Green
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
As perfect as a picture book can be
Aya Khalil
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book so beautiful. The rhymes are wonderful and I love the Spanish phrases in the text. Lovely illustrations as well. Kids and adults will love this perfect bedtime story.
Peter
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love this celebration of an Afro-Latinx family. BEAUTIFULLY illustrated and a wonderful poem celebrating babyhood and a family of color.
Jeri  Goins
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very sweet book. I don't always love the sweet sing-songy books, but sometimes I really do! This is one of them. I liked the seamless flow of English words to some Spanish phrases.
Shifa Safadi
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved this book! It is adorable and so sweet, and I love the faith in it ...more
Librarian

• Big Papa and the Time Machine
  • The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver
  • The Perfectly Perfect Wish
  • Emergency Kittens!
Children's book author. Montessori mom. Idris Elba enthusiast.