Jump to ratings and reviews

InvestiGators #1

InvestiGators

MANGO and BRASH are the INVESTIGATORS:
sewer-loving agents of S.U.I.T.* and scourge of supervillains everywhere!

With their Very Exciting Spy Technology and their tried-and-true, toilet-based travel techniques, the InvestiGators are undercover and on the case! And on their first mission together, they have not one but two mysteries to solve! Can Mango and Brash uncover the clues, crack their cases, and corral the crooks—or will the criminals wriggle out of their grasp?

*Special Undercover Investigation Teams

208 pages, Hardcover

First published February 1, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

John Patrick Green

36 books209 followers
John Green grew up on Long Island and has worked in New York City ever since graduating from School of Visual Arts for Graphic Design in 1997. He was the comics consultant for Disney Adventures magazine, and in addition to Disney has written, illustrated, or otherwise worked on comics for Nickelodeon, Dreamworks, Scholastic, DC Comics, and First Second Books. When not drawing comics John creates artwork for video games, such as Emerald City Confidential, Puzzle Bots, and Nearly Departed. See more of John's work at www.johngreenart.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 259 reviews
Profile Image for Tina.
2,306 reviews1 follower
April 8, 2021
This is a middle grade comic. I volunteer at my daughter's school's library, so I love reading middle grade books to help decided want I think the kids will like. I really think the kids will love this book. It is funny, but it also as a story line that as different things going on that connects at the end. I also loved the pictures. My daughter as read this book since I read it, and she loved it as well. I won an ARC of this book for a goodreads giveaway, but this review is 100% my own opinion. (*)
Profile Image for Spencer Orey.
514 reviews111 followers
September 11, 2022
Uneven but when it worked, wow did it really make me laugh.

It’s mostly a generic cop story for kids. Dogman inspired. Two gators, one sillier than the other, investigate the disappearance of a baker. But there are some very fresh flourishes, wordplay, and unique wacky ideas mixed in. And I do mean unique.

My kid liked it, but I found it a LOT funnier than my kid did, for whatever that’s worth.
Profile Image for Darla.
3,152 reviews446 followers
April 19, 2021
Meet Mango and Brash. They use the sewer system to fight crime for S.U.I.T. (Special Undercover Investigation Teams). Things can get a little confusing if they need the toilet for normal purposes and for transport, but these two crime-fighters find a way. This zany new series is overflowing with fun and puns galore. Our savvy investigators find themselves undercover at a bakery when a very large customer in a raincoat asks for an even larger cake. The chain of events that follow will delight readers of all ages. I am not kidding. There is a triceratops named Houdino and a rogue agent named Daryl who attempt to bake himself into a very large crocodile-shaped saltine cracker (the Crackerdile).
See what I mean? Check it out for yourself. You will be hooked.
Profile Image for Scottsdale Public Library.
3,153 reviews193 followers
Read
January 5, 2022
Eight-year-old approved! I recently checked these out for my son and as soon as he finished the first one: he closed the book, laughed while shaking his head, and immediately picked up the second book in the series and started reading it. #ReadingGoals. These silly mystery books are filled with puns and travel-by-potty shenanigans. Fans of Dogman will enjoy these books. Also on our list is: Chicken Squad by Doreen Cronin, Inspector Fly Trap by Tom Angleberger, and Kung Pow Chicken by Cyndi Marko. – Alexis S.
Profile Image for Eric Mesa.
667 reviews17 followers
August 2, 2020
Read this to my four-year-olds and I found it to be a blast. Most of the word-play went over their heads. In fact, after finishing it with my four-year-olds, I recommended it to my 8-year-old. We'll see what she thinks. This is definitely one of those books you can read with the kids and, if you like Dad Jokes and Puns, you'll be enjoying it rather than wishing you were doing something else.
Profile Image for destiny ♡ howling libraries.
1,610 reviews5,009 followers
December 7, 2022
This was absolutely adorable. It's a middle-grade graphic novel featuring a couple of alligators who investigate mysteries and seem to work for their odd little version of the FBI, and there's a LOT going on, but it's very entertaining and full of puns that are amusing for kids as well as some easter eggs thrown in for adults. I read this with my 6 1/2 year old son and he giggled throughout SO much of the story and has already asked when we can read it again. I laughed out loud a few times and even my spouse was laughing across the room at a few of the dialogue bits because it was so cute. The only complaint I have is that there was a little too much going on with the plot at times, so I'd give this a 4.5, but I can't justify NOT rounding up, given how much we enjoyed this one!

Content warnings for:

———
twitter | booktok | bookstagram | blog
Profile Image for Colleen Earle.
801 reviews59 followers
May 3, 2021
This was so much fun
I love how there are so many layers to the story.
Will continue in the series
Profile Image for Mid-Continent Public Library.
577 reviews171 followers
Read
April 22, 2021
See what I mean? Check it out for yourself. You will be hooked.
April 15, 2020
I'm 9 years old and I loved this book. Its so funny and entertaining. Theres so much going on which makes it a little confusing but over all I loved it. Whenever I can't sleep I read it and I can never get enough of it.
Profile Image for Nancy.
1,365 reviews34 followers
February 22, 2020
In the first installment of what promises to be a wildly successful graphic novel series, Green (“Kitten Construction Company”) once again shows off his knack for pun-filled animal tales. Alligators Mango and Brash are friends and secret agents for S.U.I.T. (Special Undercover Investigator Teams), tasked with solving their first case: finding Chef Mustachio, who went missing just before he was about to unveil his latest concoction. These masters of disguise are off and running. But when there’s an explosion at the Science Factory, the duo are asked to look into that mystery, too. No matter where they go, Mango and Brash blend in seamlessly with humans who somehow never notice that they are interacting with alligators who sport vests outfitted with gadgets. Jokes, especially visual puns (“Badges?” “We’re not badgers, we’re alligators!”) and toilet humor, come fast and furious, and the clean, simple cartoon art and paneled layout are easy to follow. Kids who are tickled by Green’s irreverent humor will appreciate the drawing tips that conclude the book.

Verdict: Like the heroes of Dav Pilkey’s “Dog Man” or “Captain Underpants,” the Investigators are bound to resonate with kids.

I reviewed this graphic novel for the School Library Journal and the review can be found here: https://www.slj.com/?reviewDetail=inv...
Profile Image for Julesy.
270 reviews20 followers
December 11, 2022
This book is so silly.
It is so silly, it just makes you shake your head, roll your eyes and laugh.
How can you not love 2 gators who wear vests and are In-vest-i-gators?
234 reviews12 followers
December 5, 2020
What a fun book that is sure to be a hit in my classroom! Do I even dare to say that I liked it more than (whispers.... Dogman). Really puny, some sewer humor, two great characters and a mystery to solve. This was pure fun. #LitReviewCrew
Profile Image for Michael.
630 reviews17 followers
March 23, 2021
Good for 6, or 10, or adult. A lot of depth, a lot to enjoy, plenty to entertain in later rereads. Some things you wont get the first time so you find it on the next go. A very clever book that promises a great future series. I highly recommend this book, it's fun and has many story lines. Already bought the second one.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
2,248 reviews18 followers
April 3, 2020
First off, I am an adult, so I know I am not the target audience for this book, but I did rather enjoy Green's "Kitten Construction Company" so I was thrilled to get an ARC of this one.

The Cover: Awesome and eye-catching and sure to float right into hands.

The illustrations: Also awesome. Great appeal and funny visuals.

The text: Here's where it lost me to be honest. There was far too much puns, quips, etc. that it just seems a bit chaotic. This will not be a series that I will continue reading by any means.

That being said, I am passing this into the hands of a kid to get a youth perspective. I'm looking forward to his thoughts on whether this is something a child will actually enjoy (and I'm sure that it will be a hit for him).

UPDATE: The kid I had read this absolutely LOVED IT! He has insisted we have it in the library and we certainly shall!
Profile Image for Jodie (GeauxGetLit).
528 reviews66 followers
January 2, 2022
I have a 9yo autistic son and reading isn’t his strength. I have purchased numerous books to spark his interest.
Not only did he LOVE them he even talked to me for over an hour telling me all about the characters and every time he got to a funny part he would dash out of his room and share it with me. This is such a cute mystery series appropriate for middle grade that has tons of funny characters that hooks any child’s imagination. Plus the comics were impeccably drawn out. This series made a mom cry tears of joy because I finally found books my son enjoys!

Author Q&A

Q. Will there be a fourth book? If so, what can we expect next from the Investigators?

A. There will! It’s called “Ants in Our P.A.N.T.S.”, and in it the InvestiGators face some new and old foes as they try on a new crime-solving technique called P.A.N.T.S. It will be their biggest adventure yet!
Profile Image for Josephine Sorrell.
1,474 reviews27 followers
December 4, 2020
This is Saturday night live for Kids.
Silly and inventive fast-paced fun, dumb but clever humor.

Our “InvestiGators” are two alligators who work for an organization that sets out to right the wrongs of the world. They have V.E.S.T.s (Very Exciting Spy Technology) and S.U.I.T.s (Special Undercover Investigator Teams). Their mission takes them to a famous bakery, The Batter Down not to be confused with The Batter Up, where the renowned and famous baker has gone missing along with his secret recipes. Then there’s an explosion at the Science Factory—where a giant cake has just been delivered. Makes you wonder how good these InvestiGators really are. They remind me of The Three Stooges.

Readers are going to enjoy the abundance of puns, obvious jokes and toilet humor (literally as they travel the city by flushing themselves through toilets).

There are multiple mysteries to be solved and there is resolution, come the end. The first is our cracked… I mean crack, Investigators, Mango and Brash must find a missing chef. The other is who stole the scientists Thingamabob? Are they connected? Who is the person ordering a cake large enough to hide a dinosaur in (and wears a raincoat on a sunny day)?

Aimed at ages 7 to 10, a younger reader will find the book funny even if they don’t get the jokes.

But for now, I’m going to flip back through the book and smile/laugh at the humor all over again.

There is even a cartoon drawing lesson at the end if you are so inclined.
Profile Image for Steph.
882 reviews65 followers
July 27, 2020
I love that graphic novels tell stories in such a visual way that you can get totally immersed in the story! InvestiGators is a whole load of fun. Jam packed with baking puns, I certainly chucked a few times! This graphic novel will go down great in Year 2/3. A pair of alligators who are on a mission to save the world and capture all the supervillains! Gorgeously illustrated too!!
Profile Image for Kris.
687 reviews8 followers
March 28, 2020
The plot was ok but the jokes were excellent. This graphic novel is going to please many young readers.
Profile Image for Jake.
286 reviews13 followers
December 17, 2020
I cackled through this entire book. A book filled with puns is a book for me. This is a modern day Captain Underpants just JAM PACKED with food jokes. It features 2 Alligator Detectives, Mango and Brash, who are just a delight. Everyone in this world is a bit dim, but in the best way possible. The story jumps around A LOT and can be a bit confusing at moments, but honestly the plot isn’t the most important part here, and it resolves nicely at the end.

Will definitely read more in this series. Perfect for anyone needing graphic novels for 8-12 year olds.
Profile Image for Serenity.
704 reviews28 followers
December 10, 2022
I love that the author put stuff in the book that the parents would find funny.
78 reviews27 followers
December 28, 2022
Hilarious.

Lots of puns. Breaking the fourth wall. Just absolute ridiculousness.

I'll be continuing the series!
Profile Image for Hamster.
Author 1 book37 followers
January 1, 2020
I got this free—not in exchange for a review, but because the author is a nice guy and my wife and I are friends with his brother & sister-in-law.

Honestly I was disappointed when I started this book. I'd loved his Kitten Construction books, and this newest book seemed more like a Pilkey graphic novel. I could never get into those Captain Underwear and Dogman books—they were too low brow for me to find funny.

But as I read, I realized Green's story and dialogue were a lot more clever, and I found my self laughing out loud every few pages. Although there were still plenty of puns and potty humor to make parents roll their eyes, there were some genuinely hilarious moments. (Like the brain surgery! HA!)
Read this all in one morning and I HIGHLY recommend it to all fans of Dav Pilkey. (And not just because the author gave me a free book....although I am grateful... keep up the good work, Johnny.)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 259 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.