Start by marking “Friday Night Wrestlefest” as Want to Read:
Friday Night Wrestlefest

Friday Night Wrestlefest

Hey kids! Are you ready to WRESTLE? Don't miss Friday Night Wrestlefest, writer J. F. Fox and illustrator Micah Player's bedtime book inspired by WWE professional wrestling that will wear kids out before they go to bed.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's Friday night, and these kids are ready to wrestle! Join Dangerous Daddoo as he dishes out some serious moves to get the kids read
Published February 18th 2020 by Roaring Brook Press (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Friday Night Wrestlefest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friday Night Wrestlefest

Start your review of Friday Night Wrestlefest
Melki
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
It's Friday night. The furniture's been moved out of the way, and the ring is piled high with pillows and blankets.
description
Grab the kids, and get ready to rumble!
description

This is a cute tale of an unusual family-togetherness activity. I'm not sure about the idea of getting the kids all riled up before bedtime, but this sure looks like a fun way to spend an evening.
Luann
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to enjoy Friday Night Wrestlefest as much as I did! It totally won me over. It BEGS to be read aloud, as others have said, in a booming wrestling announcer voice. I love how happy the family are together, and that they have clearly had a Friday Night Wrestlefest many times. But my favorite part was on the last two pages, after the kids have gone to bed. The artist pulls back from the house so that we see the parents and the dog looking out the window, with the words, "FRIDAY NIGH ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, picture-book, play
It's Friday night and everyone---Dangerous Daddoo, Peanut Brother, Jellyfish, and Big Bald Baby---is ready. They are in the ring and...it's on! It's time to wrestle!

You just can't help adding exclamation marks to every sentence when you write about this book! So much fun!
Ashley Marshall
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK EVER!
Colleen
This is a great book! I love the fun story about the typical "battle" for bedtime. Daddoo and Mommy & kiddos all make the Friday night wrestle for bedtime great fun. I can't wait to share this with my g'littles! Micah Player is a fantastic illustrator! (Full disclosure...he's a friend and a fantastic human being!)

I recommend this highly.....buy it for your little & enjoy the fun!
Theresa Grissom
Oh my goodness, this is awesome!! This book will have kids begging their parents to have a wrestlefest of their own. And the Big Bad Baby makes the book for me. Love it!!
Gabrielle Stoller
There are many great elements of the book

1.) Fathers playing with their children
2.) People of race

But honestly, I don't think this book works as a "bedtime story." It's too rowdy. Granted, it reflects the struggle of putting kids to bed. But I wouldn't read it at bedtime ;)
Barbara
This one is a 3.5 for me, and I was delighted with how well the story and illustrations captured the fun between two parents and their offspring. As most everyone knows, Fridays are the end of the typical work or school week and mark the start of some respite from all that labor. Most families have their own rituals for Fridays and weekends, but one family marks the end of the day with a wrestling match between a father and his twins. All of the wrestlers have funny names and costumes, and even ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Friday Night Wrestlefest by J.F. Fox, illustrated by Micah Player. PICTURE BOOK. Roaring Brook Press (Macmillan), 2020. $18. 9781250212405

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

It is Friday night and dad is wrestling the kids. Everyone makes their best move, but when the “Flying Mom Bomb” arrives, all bets are off. Will she fight on the side of the kids or on the side of the dad?

This was so much fun to read aloud. It had a lot of style and it was easy to sound like a wrestlin
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
What I Loved:
The imagination in Friday Night Wrestlefest was so fun! A bedtime story that centers around the family, but with a wrestling twist. I just loved the concept and really enjoyed the book!

How I Felt:
The Story is told as if an announcer for a wrestling match is the narrator. I’m not a wrestling fan, but I still really enjoyed the references. The dad is getting the kids ready for bed, but like many bed times the kids resist a bit. For this family, the resistance is in the form of a wrest
Baby Bookworm
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Friday Night Wrestlefest, written by J. F. Fox and illustrated by Micah Player, a hilarious account of one family’s unique weekly tradition.

Friday night, ladies and gents! School’s out, the pizza’s been eaten, and now it’s time for the main event: WRESTLEFEST – BATTLE TO THE BEDTIME! Tonight, It’s sibling duo the Tag Team Twins – Peanut Brother and Jellyfish – facing off against the Dangerous Daddoo! In their homemade wrestling regalia, the opponents enter a no-
Sandy Brehl
I enjoyed this wacky-wild depiction of a family routine that reminded me of my early childhood even more than I expected. In this case, after the ritual Friday pizza supper and preparing for WrestleFest with streamers and costumes, Daddooo challenges the dynamic twins.
With typical "LA-DIES and GEN-TLE-MEN" bravado, the text is brief but each word strikes a blow with humor and punch (pun intended). When Mom returns from work and enters the ring, be prepared for a serious surprise.
The humor cont
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two staff reviews

4 stars

Friday night, pizza and wrestling! That is a perfect Friday night. Dangerous Daddoo's (AKA Dad) idea of getting the kids to sleep and tire them out is by wrestling. When Flying Mom Bomb comes home from work, it is a different story? Are they in for a surprise or sent right to bed? This is a must-read for a few twists and turns along the way. Cute illustrations.

- Miss Jenny

5 stars

This picture book was AMAZING!!! It was a very fun and unique take on a parent's bedtime rout
Beverly
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Possible contender for Mock Caldecott awards. I'm going to have to confess that when I saw the name of the book I was convinced I wouldn't like it...I don't know why I thought parents would be trying to put their kids to bed by reading about wrestling. So much to my surprise, I loved it. Cute, cute, cute. The illustrations are bold, bright beautiful colors. The story is actually about an entire family, all with great wrestling names, being glad that it's Friday night and time for their family to ...more
Katie
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book, as I'm not a fan of wrestling. But I was surprised.
The kiddos and their father have a 'wrestle fest' over bedtime on Friday, which is more them jumping on him, him tickling and kissing them. Mom and the baby join the fun in their own ways, then bedtimes become more traditional with bathroom routines, bedtime stories, and tuck-ins. The whole story has fun rhymes, and alliteration just like an announcer at a wrestling match, and it is a fun read, with energy
Mike Mac
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My daugher and I love this book.
What a great way to spend Friday night-or any night-at bedtime! What stood out for me is the writing: J.F. Fox knows how to write clever stories that both parents and children to enjoy. Very smart and funny. The illustrations complement the great energy and heart that this book has; it moves swiftly with twists and turns that keep you laughing. It really captures the fun of Friday night at home with the kids. Heartily recommend. Looking forward to her next book.
Abby Johnson
A perfect bedtime story for young wrestling fans and families who want to share their passion for wrestling with the next generation. Read it in a wrestling announcer voice and this one is super fun. Each member of the family has their own wrestling persona and the match is full of the clever moves and twists and turns that make wrestling so much fun. Pair with Nino Vs. The World for a fun wrestling themed storytime.
Elizabeth
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This a loud book. It is an excellent read aloud book and has a lot current references. Parents and children all having fun wrestling before bedtime. Playing up the announcer voice will make this even better. A lot of fun.

For writers: the illustrations tell a lot of the story here. Art notes were abundant and my guess is the author explained the concept before someone said let's publish this.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preschool-2nd grade
Friday night is here and it is time for the weekly tradition of body slams, tickle grips, and gross sloppy dad kisses. An absolute delight to read-aloud in your best LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLE voice. An instant favorite for my 4-year-old.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Erin
Adorable. To be paired with Lucia the Luchadora for increased onomatopoeic flair, or followed by another bedtime book to actually calm everyone down in a preparation for sleep. ...more
Eileen Winfrey
A Friday night routine that puts me to shame. So energetic! The illustrations especially draw the reader into the action packed evening. If reading aloud, eat your wheaties, this one will take alllll your best energy to really be successful.
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
With every batch of library books we get, there's always a standout. This one received more reading time from my kids (ages 3 to 9) than any of the others. To be sure, it's not like a "literary" quality picture book with profound meanings. It's fun, though, and isn't that what matters?! ...more
Andrew Dittmar
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm an only child and my mom never engaged, but this was actually quite emotional to read because it reminded me so much of my dad. We didn't do "Wrestlefest", we did "Champion!", but this felt so similar, if not in details, in the overall feeling. ...more
Becky Schnell
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is sooo cute and funny, a must have especially if you have children!
Matthew Metzdorf
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best picture book in sports entertainment history it even had a heel turn
Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute wrestling themed bedtime fun!
Tracie
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A family wrestling celebration
Kirsti Call
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and punny. Perfect read aloud!
Annese
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
SO FUN! I can't wait to try this for storytime. ...more
Grab
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
laughed aloud through the whole thing. heartwarming, clever, and charming
« previous 1 3 next »

• Swim Swim Sink
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • A Polar Bear in the Snow
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • Fire Truck vs. Dragon
  • The Paper Kingdom
  • Ball & Balloon
  • I Talk Like a River
  • I Am the Storm
As a writer, my passion is creating children's books with a funny, slightly nerdy bent. I love introverts, underdogs, and antiheros, as well as stories for boys that speak to their interests without ignoring their emotions. I also enjoy working with the book committee at my sons' school to support our school library, organize author visits, and just get more books into kids' hands. I was born and ...more

News & Interviews