Start by marking “Go to Sleep (I Miss You): Cartoons from the Fog of New Parenthood” as Want to Read:
Go to Sleep (I Miss You): Cartoons from the Fog of New Parenthood

Go to Sleep (I Miss You): Cartoons from the Fog of New Parenthood

Lucy Knisley is one of the great memoirists of the graphic novel format. Following the completion of her pregnancy memoir KID GLOVES (and the birth of her baby), Lucy embarked on a new project: documenting new motherhood in short, spontaneous little cartoons, which she posted on her Instagram, and which quickly gained her a huge cult following among other moms.

The best of
Published February 25th 2020 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Go to Sleep (I Miss You), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to Sleep (I Miss You)

Start your review of Go to Sleep (I Miss You): Cartoons from the Fog of New Parenthood
David Schaafsma
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lucy Knisley is, book by book, especially in recent years, accomplishing a rather remarkable feat, as she catalogues her life, stage by stage. There was (among so many other books from her I have read) her part-advice, part-memoir wedding book, Something New; her similar making-a-baby book, Kid Gloves (followed by a couple kid picture books--unusual in that the bulk of her work is memoir) and now this book which is mostly cartoons with some writing about different areas in her experience of new ...more
Rod Brown
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Knisley offers up an amusing collection of one-page gags about mothering her infant son. Sure, she's not in groundbreaking territory as she jokes about baby poop and toddler mischief, but every page made me very happy. I think this fun book is a great companion to the more dramatic story of her pregnancy recounted in Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos.
Priscilla Basilio
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so sweet and funny. I just wish it had been longer.
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oof. Yes.
Gretchen
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel really weird reviewing this book because I don't think it's written for me. I do not want children, and the breathless shocking joy of motherhood is neither something I want nor can even imagine experiencing. That said, I do very much appreciate Knisley's devotion to telling her truth about motherhood, and I have always loved the way she captures the hilarity of the weird and awkward moments in life. I appreciate being given a lens into an experience I won't have, and am in awe of the ...more
Jennie
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This graphic novel can be read in less than 30 minutes. I have read everything that Lucy Knisley has written and this was my least favorite book, perhaps if I had a newborn I would have enjoyed it more.
Sheri
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely perfect. As a mother to 2 little ones, every page was like a written and illustrated comedic play by play of my life the past 2 years. :) I always enjoy Knisley's graphic novels. Her writing is pure with earnest honesty and her illustrations are perfect. Love love love it! And her. Can we be friends now? I'm only 3 hours south of Chi... ;)
Stephanie
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I love everything @lucyknisley publishes, and this one is no different. If youre a parent, youll love this. She captures the crazy-making feeling of the newborn days, all the exhaustion and love and bewilderment and struggle. One thing to know about this book is that its a collection of individual cartoons she drew when her son was a newborn - instead of the linear narrative and storytelling style of her other books, this one is more snapshot. But still I found myself laughing out loud and ...more
Samantha Mairson
A fun exposé on parenting. The illustrations and voice are amusing. Welcome to the modern reality of new parenting. Thanks for the enjoyable time-pass, Lucy.

My coworker and teen librarian passed this along to me.
Katelyn
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was delightful to read another book by my favorite graphic novelist.
Lauren Salisbury
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this book is perfect.
Andrea
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute little doodles. Relatable and a quick read
Melanie
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, memoirs, comics
Some of the comics are well done, and some are not. It was cute and a quick read.
Amy Pickett
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
The inimitable Lucy Knisley returns with her latest, chronicling her life as a new parent through a series of moments captured in her sketchbook. I love everything she draws and writes!
Claire
Mar 09, 2020 added it
Cute! Going to give a copy to a new parent friend of mine :)
Helen
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a very quick read that I enjoyed. It is a variety of comics that the author created as she was going through the first years of a bring a moth. I much preferred the other adult graphic novels that she written but I would recommend this one as well.
Amanda Milburn
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bloody loved this. So relatable!
Carin
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't have kids. But I am the oldest child, my youngest sibling, my half-brother, is 12 years younger than me, and he slept in my room until he was four. I got up in the middle of the night with him scores of time, and taught him how to climb out of his crib before he could walk. I also was a nanny in college for infant twins. I am very good with babies. So this lovely, sweet, occasionally distracted memoir in cartoons about being a brand-new mother still managed to speak to me despite my lack ...more
Shannon
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I've been a fan of Lucy Knisley for years. I first read French Milk back in 2009 and since then have read every book as she's published them. So I was a little disappointed at the lack narrative in this book. I'll confess I have not read Kid Gloves, so perhaps that will hold the narrative graphic memoir style that I've come to know, love and expect from Knisley.

If you're a fan of Knisley, this book is worth a quick read just because it will feel familiar.

If you're not yet a fan, I highly
Denise
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
So so delightful, in classic Lucy Knisley style. I loved all of these cartoons as Lucy shared them on Instagram, and was always sending them to my sister who was a new mom at the time. These little tidbits are just so real, at times unflattering, but always heartfelt. I laughed out loud a bunch and audibly aww-ed many times. A great companion to Lucys long-form memoir Kid Gloves, and a book Im sure to revisit when I become a parent. Would make a wonderful gift for any new parent looking for ...more
Nicole Sperry
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: motherhood
As soon as I saw the title of this book, I knew it was for me. Being a new mother myself, I'm familiar with how desperate you feel when your baby doesn't sleep, and also how much you remember your baby when she finally does sleep. This book made me laugh out loud. Just about every page reminded me of something I have experienced on my journey through motherhood. I appreciate Lucy Knisley's honesty, her sense of humor, and, of course, her art. If you're a mom, read this. If you know someone who ...more
Elise
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hilarious, heartwarming, tender, relatable (even though I don't have kids yet!), honest, and sweet. Even though I have only read two of her books Lucy Knisely is becoming a fast favorite. Parents with little babies and parents whose babies are all grown up will both appreciate this collection of cartoons Lucy drew in the early stages of her son's life. I look forward to revisiting this once I have survived what she calls "the fog of new parenthood".
Elizabeth A
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Knisley is a graphic memoirist, and unlike her other books, this is a collection of illustrated snapshots of her first year of being a new mom. While there were moments that made me smile and wince in sympathy, overall I missed having a narrative to pull me along. I follow the author's Instagram, and this book collects some of that work into book format. It's a quick read that's cute and fun, but not one that will stick with me.
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Despite not being a mother or even a caregiver myself, I still found this book immensely enjoyable. I love reading Lucy Knisley's updates on Instagram and was pleased to see the style held up when translated to a solid page.

There is little to say about this book beyond any parents (especially new parents) will appreciate her succinct ability to capture tough moments and also the humor of new babydom.
Christina
I don't have children, and maybe I'd have a different view of this book if I did. But I wanted to read this because I feel like I've gone through more than a few major life events with Knisley via her graphic memoirs, despite not having those same experiences (i.e. getting married, being pregnant, living in France, accompanying grandparents on a cruise). Except, without a cohesive narrative, looking at this collection of cartoons felt like following Knisley's Instagram - quick, sometimes funny ...more
Ellen Scheid
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love books that can make me laugh. This one had me cracking up! My son is going on two now, so my reading time is limited. Graphic novels and comics are easy for me to follow, and they are even better when I can relate to them.
This collection of cartoons really hit home for me. Teething, constant crying, clothing not fitting correctly, lack of sleep and so much more. Im glad I picked it up, and I will be sure to point other new parents in its direction.
Jessica
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, memoir
I started following Lucy Knisley after reading Something New, which was right after Pal was born so I remember many of these comics well. While I don't have children myself, my mother and I have followed Pal on Insta since he was a baby so it was fun to see those days again.

I do also have a new niece which helped me in some comics I might have passed by originally (gripe water).
Erin
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A style different than Knisleys earlier publications, this book is more of a collection of new parent / new baby moments, as opposed her usual linear narratives. The vignettes of daily life with a baby and the challenges / rewards presented in adjusting to life as a parent are funny and relatable. Knisley never disappoints! ...more
Samantha
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for any mom!

As a mom of a toddler, I guffawed, cried and then said "yep" over and over again while reading this book. I have the kindle version, but just bought a hard copy to give to a friend who is having her baby's 1st birthday party this weekend as a "congratulations, you've made it thus far" gift.
Annemarie Plenert
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet book! I really enjoyed it, like I love all of Lucy Knisley's things. It's individual comics rather than an ongoing story and it does a great job of capturing all the tangled-up feelings of early parenthood.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Olive, Again
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • In the Dream House
  • Almost American Girl
  • Snapdragon
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Between the World and Me
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Cream of the Crop (Hudson Valley, #2)
  • Beautiful Boss (Beautiful Bastard, #4.5)
  • Buns (Hudson Valley, #3)
  • Night After Night (Seductive Nights, #1)
  • Trouble on Tap (Sweet Salvation Brewery, #3)
  • Hollywood on Tap (Sweet Salvation Brewery, #2)
  • They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us
  • The Regrets
  • Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life
Beginning with an love for Archie comics and Calvin and Hobbes, Lucy Knisley (pronounced "nigh-zlee") has always thought of cartooning as the only profession she is suited for. A New York City kid raised by a family of foodies, Lucy is a graduate of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago currently pursuing an MFA at the Center for Cartoon Studies. While completing her BFA at the School of the ...more