Start by marking “Grumpy Monkey Party Time!” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Monkey Party Time!

Grumpy Monkey Party Time!

(Grumpy Monkey #2)

Everyone's favorite New York Times bestselling Grumpy Monkey is back in this hilarious sequel about managing social anxiety and listening to your needs!

Have you ever been a little anxious about going to a party? Jim Panzee feels that. Porcupine is having a big party, and according to Jim's best friend Norman, there will be--gulp--dancing. Jim can DEFINITELY not dance. When
Published October 15th 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Grumpy Monkey Party Time!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grumpy Monkey Party Time!

Start your review of Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
Niki (nikilovestoread)
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Grumpy Monkey is one of our favorite picture books. Unfortunately, Grumpy Monkey Party Time! just didn't quite live up to its predecessor. It's still a cute one, but there's just something missing that I can't put my finger on. I do like the message about social pressure and how it's okay to be different and how you may just help others who are struggling as well by being your true self.
Mahlon
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honestly, this was my most anticipated picture book of 2019 and I am disappointed. The art is still beautiful, but the story was unsatisfying? Where is the depth of theme from the original Grumpy Monkey?
Lara Samuels
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Be ready to laugh out loud and have great conversations with kids. Must purchase!
Chris Hays
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book is still my favorite. However, I love the plot in this book. Often, monkey's attitude towards expressing oneself in activity such as dance matches mine closely. This is a great book to use with students reluctant to participate and who want an alternative.
Rachel
The first one was hilarious, this one not as much. Recommended for ages 4-8, 3 stars.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
FINALLY! A book with a character who doesn't like dancing and isn't ultimately "saved" by his pushy friends showing him how great dancing is. Jim Panzee doesn't like to dance. His friends try to make him like dancing, but he just doesn't. After making it clear to his friends that he doesn't like to dance, other animals reveal that they also aren't fond of dancing, but felt social pressure to pretend to enjoy it, each of them thinking that they were the only one. So nobody has to dance! Those who ...more
Melanie
Grumpy Monkey is back! He's been invited to Porcupine's party. Problem is he doesn't know how to dance. So the other animals take it upon themselves to teach him. Jim the Monkey is a quick learner. When everyone gets to the party there is much dancing. Jim is not enjoying himself. He finds that he doesn't like dancing. When he announces this other animals speak up as well, stating they don't like dancing either. They just went along because everyone else was dancing.

A fantastic book about
Kelsey
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Age: Older Preschool-2nd grade

In the vast world of children's literature there are plenty of books that celebrate the joys of dancing. This is not one of them. Jim Panzee is nervous about an upcoming party--especially because he doesn't know how to dance. After advice, tutorials, and putting it into action at the party, Jim still doesn't like to dance. When he voices his true opinion, Jim finds out that there are other fun things to do at the party like eating and playing games.

Children will
Diane
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jim Panzee gets invited to Porcupine’s party where there will be dancing. When he tells his friends he can’t dance, they try to teach him. And once that is done, they head to the party. But the dancing is nonstop, and Jim isn’t really enjoying himself. And he’s not the only one. There are others that don’t feel like dancing either. They are about to leave when Porcupine shows them the food. “Wait. There is food at this party?” And games, too. Not that’s a party!
Anthony
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Grumpy Monkey AKA Jim Panzee receives an invitation to Porcupine's party. He doesn't want to attend because he can't dance. All of his jungle friends give him tips on how to dance, but when he arrives at the party, he's still not comfortable about being there until he discovers that there is more to this party than just dancing.
Anne Lutomia
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grumpy Monkey does not know how to dance and is therefore afraid of going to a party. Other animals offer to teach him but he still does not like to dance. At the party he realizes that there are other animals like him - who do not like dancing. Together they enjoy the food, chat, play games while those who enjoy dancing have their fun. Great book about choices and preferences.
eHawk
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020q1, picture-book
Very cute, I love the expressiveness of the animals here, and it's a great reminder that not everyone has to do the same things to have fun, be social, etc. It's also maybe an interesting look at social obligations and great wild animal list.
Jannah
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Grumpy Monkey has been invited to a party, but he can't/doesn't want to dance. What will he do?

Also there's a character named Oxpecker. Which I had to look up, but it IS actually the name of a real bird...aren't there tons of other jungle birds with less awkward names to choose from?
Pam
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The book's message and brightly colored artwork boost this to my 3-stars. The writing is flatter than I expected. The point to speak up and share what you like and don't like to do is an important one but gets lost in the text.
Ruby
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
It was cute and made us giggle but not as cute as the first one.
PWRL
Jan 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
A
nevrstopsmilin
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i seriously *love love love* the original grumpy monkey book but this one is so cute! well done!
Alicia
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I appreciated the message that it’s okay to be different—we don’t all have to be the same. And as someone who does not enjoy dancing, that particular point resonated with me! Charming book.
Danica Midlil
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are lots of ways to "party"
Jaime
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This monkey is a hoot. He had me cracking up and will crack kids up too. This grump definitely changed my mood for the better.
Andrea Labonte
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reminds me of my son
Valerie Doherty
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the character- delightful and fun.
Jackson Lago
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Not as good as Grumpy Monkey.
Ellen

• Bruce's Big Storm
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows
  • Bad Dog
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Bear Came Along
  • Everybody Says Meow
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • This Is Not That Kind of Book