Start by marking “The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 2: Political Scandal, Personal Struggle, and the Years That Defined Elizabeth II (1956-1977)” as Want to Read:

Can't get enough of The Crown? In this must-have exploration of the history behind seasons 2 and 3 of Peter Morgan's Emmy-winning Netflix drama, the show's historical consultant answers all your questions alongside beautifully reproduced archival photographs.

In this eye-opening companion to seasons 2 and 3 of Netflix's acclaimed series The Crown, renowned biographer
Published November 19th 2019 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crown

Start your review of The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 2: Political Scandal, Personal Struggle, and the Years That Defined Elizabeth II (1956-1977)
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This volume was just average. It shoved two seasons into one book and, that meant, it didn't go into the history as much. I wanted it to go deeper into the content and history behind the story, but it felt like a retelling of each episode rather than really showing me what happened. So, it was just fine.
Zosi
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. As interesting as book 1, but this volume felt a bit rushed. Its shorter than the first volume even though this one covers twice as many episodes, and it shows. The first volume was constructed with lots of pictures, notes on characters, and stills from the show-but this one doesnt have any apart from a couple pictures and the photo stills in the middle. Also a couple of copy errors-it makes the book feel rushed, and most of the most important parts of the episodes are either not ...more
Sage
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I still enjoyed this book, but I wish they hadnt jammed in 2 seasons to one book - I feel like theres so much more I wanted to know, and there wasnt time to get to it all. And I would have loved more behind the scenes photos and info as well, to mix with the (somewhat dry) history. Im a huge history nerd, and *I* was bored at certain points. I feel like I did learn a lot though who knew that Buzz Aldrin took communion on the moon?! That was super cool! Solid 3 stars, perhaps 3.5 if Im feeling ...more
Carolyn Harris
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
The Crown: The Official Companion Volume 2 provides some useful background information for Seasons 2 and 3 of The Crown series on Netflix but it is far less detailed than Volume 1, which is about the first season of the same series. Lacey quickly summarizes historical events such as the Suez crisis or the process of decolonization in the Commonwealth which deserve a more in depth treatment. Individual historical figures, such as Prince Philip, are discussed in more detail.
There is a defensive
Jessica
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, royalty, 2019
This was wonderful, as was the first volume! It is a solid background to each episode in seasons 2 and 3- obviously it won't give you the entire story behind a particular historical figure or event, but enough to help grasp the basics. I listened to the audiobook, and as I suspected, Alex Jennings was fantastic for round 2. Certainly worth a listen/read if you enjoy the Crown!
Caroline Bews
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love Alex Jennings as a narrator so enjoyed listening to this.
Sarah Messenger
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyed but not as good as volume 1
Lexie
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
3/5.

I didn't enjoy this as much as Volume 1. I thought it was a bit rushed and it didn't go into a lot of the history like the previous novel.
Lulu
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
Accessible, engaging history of Queen Elizabeth II's reign in the1950s-70s.
India
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
It didn't seem to have as much time to really dive into the history and the choices made in the show, BUT it still packs a punch and is a solidly enjoyable historical companion to the show.

The thing that appalled me the most. LBJ. Y'all. Be thankful Twitter didn't exist under his presidency!
Jessica
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, audio, nonfiction
This is only interesting if you read or listen to it as you watch the show or soon after. I haven't seen season 2 in awhile and the beginning of the book was quite boring. By the middle of season two, though, I liked the dive into backstory I'd forgotten.

As for the rest...it was interesting to walk around listening to it, but I'd already extensively googled and most of the articles I found breaking down real vs dramatized events from the show were more engaging.

Part of the pitch of the book is
Ian Warren
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A companion piece to the soap opera of The Crown.
Gabriella Rusk
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This book is for super fans of Netflixs hit series, The Crown which recently released its third season. It delves into each episode and breaks down the historical elements, sorting out fact from fiction. Ive loved watching this television show and have always wanted to learn more about the actual history of it all. Robert Lacey explains where the writers may have drawn inspiration for some of the dramatic elements in the series.

Heavily researched and intensely detailed, Lacey also points out
Lyn Ryan
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting companion to the Netflix series, that fills in the political landscape and clarifies the rumours from the facts. Much of the series is imagined, but based on detailed research. Some events are totally fictious, but, according to the authors, designed to reveal deeper truths.
I am very interested in the series. It is a remarkable achievement, beautifully acted and edited. I am interested in this idea that the monarch supposedly floats above politics like some guardian angel. This
Leslie Goddard
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I love the idea of a companion book to the popular series, and this book will undoubtedly thrill historians who want to delve deeper into the issues surrounding the monarchy in the years covered by the show. There is a good amount of political background, as well as broader historical context (e.g. the moon landing and Phillips fascination with it).

As a fan of the show, however, I found it curious that they did not devote any time here to going behind the scenes. You get no insight into casting
hpboy13
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As The Crown becomes more episodic after its stellar first season, so too does this book. There isnt much sense of a throughline here, so I think it holds up less well as an independent read. However, it proves to be a terrific companion when watching the show I read it concurrently with watching Season 3 of the show, and found it very enjoyable, and preferable to the usual googling I did whenever the credits rolled.

On some topics, this book is a gem, fleshing things out and providing welcome
Tam
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the companion book for series one of The Crown and having finished this one, I can say they add hugely to my enjoyment of the show. I love history and it is important to me to know what information I see on the show is fact and what are the wonderful screenplays of Peter Morgan. Care is taken to dig into the historical events that character stories are woven around. It's just getting additional information about something that I already love. Great book!
Erin
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: royals, non-fiction
I both liked and disliked this book in comparison to Volume 1. In some ways, it was quicker and to the point. The context of history versus the drama was always at the forefront. The first volume had many asides into characters and events that left it disjointed. Volume 2 keeps the historical background in terms of the episode. However, the book isn't as in-depth as Volume 1 probably due to combining 2 seasons into one. You're left wanting more footnotes or insights.
Taylor
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked the first volume better because I felt like it gave more historical background that was relevant to the series. This one is more historical background and occasionally it relates to the series, but not as much as it could. Nice insights into the show and writing. I like knowing what is fact and what is fiction.
Mike Glaser
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Not a bad book if you are looking for the history behind the series. It is also very good in pointing out all of the fictional aspects of the series (i.e. all of the juicy bits that everyone is talking about). In other words, this series would never have been made without the made-up bits that are the focus of the producers.
Emerald Dodge
While Lacey is obviously passionate about his subject, the book often veered to the dry side. There were also typos ("instructioin") and historical accuracies (he refers to Henry VIII as the Merry Monarch in one instance--that was Charles II). He also didn't examine certain plot lines closely, such as the background of Roddy, Billy Graham's long friendship with Elizabeth II, etc.
Gregg
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Engaging, entertaining, and educational read about The Crown and the real British royal family. This book separates fact and fiction while also explaining the meaning of many parts of the series' story lines.
Niamh
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting companion to The Crown - especially its deeper analysis of the events in Series 3. I did really appreciate that the author intertwined both how Morgan (the creator and writer) used dramatic intent alongside historical fact.
Meredith
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy the second volume nearly as much as the first. Not clear whether it was because the events are closer to this time or because there was less discussion of how the stories were crafted and differed from historical evidence. Too bad.
Kathy Cooley
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Another good historical overview of the actual events that inspired The Crown. I find it interesting how much looser with the historical facts the writers were in seasons 2 and 3.
Pcox
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
really helpful if you want more context
Heather
I really enjoyed this season of the crown and I love Olivia Coleman. I appreciate these books because it tells you exactly what parts of the show deviate from the actual events.
Piper Winchester
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good add on to The Crown.
Well researched and splitting fact from fiction.
Cheryl Sinclair
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Gives a good background to the fictionalized TV series.
Isla Jones
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting, digestible accompaniment to the Netflix series. Read in audiobook form - good narration.

• The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe
  • From Scratch: A Memoir of Love, Sicily, and Finding Home
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Disney's Land: Walt Disney and the Invention of the Amusement Park That Changed the World
  • The Christmas Holiday
  • Queen Meryl: The Iconic Roles, Heroic Deeds, and Legendary Life of Meryl Streep
  • The Warehouse
  • The Secret Scripture
  • Who Am I, Again?
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • Eat Up: Food, Appetite and Eating What You Want
  • Rhett & Link's Book of Mythicality: A Field Guide to Curiosity, Creativity, and Tomfoolery
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • Wild Bird
Robert Lacey is a British historian noted for his original research, which gets him close to - and often living alongside - his subjects. He is the author of numerous international bestsellers.

After writing his first works of historical biography, Robert, Earl of Essex and Sir Walter Ralegh, Robert wrote Majesty, his pioneering biography of Queen Elizabeth II. Published in 1977, Majesty remains