Start by marking “Orson (Paragon Society #1)” as Want to Read:
Orson (Paragon Society #1)

Orson

(Paragon Society #1)

Orson Reid: college freshman, gamer, and quite possibly the legendary boogeyman of the magical world. And you thought your life was weird.

It all started the night Orson kissed his best friend, Elyse, and she kissed him back. Yes, the kiss was life-changing, but in ways Orson never could have imagined. It seems he contracted a "virus" that is making him taller, faster, and
Audible Audio
Published February 19th 2019 by Tantor Audio (first published July 31st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Orson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orson

Start your review of Orson (Paragon Society #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Orson by David Delaney and narrated Matt Godfrey is not your average shifter book! Jordan is a teen that finds out he is a shifter in a very unique way! How he became a shifter is also very unusual! There is nothing normal about shifters in this book especially Orson! He is the monster of the monsters! But he really is a nice guy! It is a great book that is totally different and clever, sprinkled with humor, lots of fun fantasy, and great friendship!
The narration was performed perfectly!
Thomas Taylor
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started to feel like fan fiction

I found it to be an enjoyable read but it never stopped feeling like an attempt to mainstream Jan Stryvant's Valens Legacy. I mean to be fair of all the stories about a college kid being turned into a legendary breed of shapeshifter who can also do magic, falls in love with a cat shapeshifter, is hunted by killer mages and ends up starting a covert war against the forces that keep magic hidden from regular people this is the 2nd best, easily. I don't mean to sou
Kimberly L.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a GREAT BOOK!!!

I am in love with Orson and the other characters in this book! I was sooo hoping that the next book was already out but alas, NO!!! I just wanted this series to continue immediately, that's how good this book. I did however notice that apparently there is a novella that was written prior to Orson, called Singularity Barbeque, so I guess that was supposed to be read first? Although the Author did indicate at the end of Orson the the series would not be numbered as each book
John
This book was readable, It was a very short read and only took a few hours to complete. It had some flaws that bothered me slightly but not enough to throw it away. (view spoiler) ...more
Ashley
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great find and super fun read!!!

I stumbled upon this book while looking for a fun new read and boy did this certainly meet my expectations!! I love paranormal, urban fantasy stuff and this was a lot of fun. I appreciated the variation on the typical shifter and magical being social composition. Most of all I loved the snark, humor and the gaming + Harry Potter references while Orson was trying to make sense of the new paranormal society that was abruptly foisted upon him and wreaked havoc on h
Snowbvi
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book

At the end of the book the author wrote:
"Obviously, Orson (and the follow-up books) are not classical literature, but that's okay because I did not set out to write classical literature. My only goal is to tell a fun, exciting and engaging story and hopefully, you agree that I've succeeded in that endeavor."

This book was a one night read. I had just finished (stopped) a different book because it felt like I was reading it just to read.

I am thrilled
Curtis
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This is a beautifully paced story, written and edited well, with great characters. The dialogue is good, the action is good, and the plot nicely handled. What could have been a dull rendering of a common trope is instead a fresh, funny, and even heartfelt urban fantasy novel. I especially enjoyed all the little gestures and behaviors each character has, often defusing the action with a grin. Even so it’s not all humor and bad things do happen to good people, so the drama is also well d
Missie Burdick
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Twist?

I stumbled across this book by accident and decided to give it a try. I immediately began enjoying the book and originally thought, “same story, cool twist.” That would’ve been enough. It is so much more. I am excited to continue reading this series to see just how much more! The story is so well written, it was a joy to read. Sometimes you can have a great story, but the execution is so poor it is difficult to get through it. Not this time. Great story. Wonderful execution. I’m sold.
Bkwyrm
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somebody edit this - please

I could have enjoyed this book. I WOULD have enjoyed this book. I liked the plot, the characters, the pacing was good.....but the sheer number of errors just ruined it. Missing commas, extra commas, tense agreement problems, missing words, random paragraph beginnings and endings, etc. Don't people have editors any more? That's it for me and this series - if you can't be bothered to be sure your book's presentation is up to par, don't expect me to spend money on it.
Laurie Cook
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teen Super Fantasy (spoilers)

Remember when you were a teenager wishing you a witch with supernatural powers, a werewolf, could fly, read minds, etc? For Orson, that fantasy becomes a reality after finally kissing the girl he’s been crazy about for years. Turns out she’s not so normal herself! The changes that kiss initiates have some amazing benefits and devastating consequences for Orson. This novel has been an awesome start to a promising series. Can’t wait to continue reading!
Enzo
So Goodreads ate my review. hmm

Orson Reid the main character is a good guy who just started dating this great girl. Elyse, as it turns out, is a shape-shifter. This has an effect on Orson who after showing he has superpowers during an accident at Costco. Is told he has also become a shape-shifter. But not an ordinary one. He is the mythical one, one made not born. They even have a name for him, Ollfeist. Now Orson is running for his life at the same time he is learning about his new
Loulou
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eli
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It’s a fast, light-hearted read. The writing style flows well, although through the second half there were a lot of grammatical errors (words like ‘a’ and ‘the’ were missing in sentences and plurals were dropped).

The story is interesting and the attention to detail about Orson’s new powers were cool. I felt like the end of the story, with its open-ending, was a bit rushed though. Lots of action and jumping around, which left me feeling a little behind the curve at times. But it was fun and enjo
Tiera McMillian
2.5 stars. This book was unique. At the same time it felt incomplete, like there was no climax or resolution really. All of the many many many modern day nerd culture references were a little overkill but endearing at certain times. I really felt like the book was lacking depth of characters and feelings. Maybe a little lighthearted for what’s actually occurring in the story. Either way it wasn’t a bad read it was just missing some “muchness.”
Edgar Redes
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read ,good story and funny

It's exactly how I put into the summary up there , good story and fun read ,very fluid and it had a lot of funny parts , the characters are well thought up and the way it doesn't take itself to seriously is great , the author did a great job of making this book memorable and I for one found another series that I get to enjoy , so give it a chance and have fun reading this great book
Gary Clark
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, enjoyable read.

I've found myself reading a good of this type of book lately. This author seems to have found the right balance of action and humor, (and even a somewhat chaste romance.) Mr Delaney seems to get that page after page about how magic works, (spell casting, use of power etc) is not terribly interesting and sticks to what is needed to advance the plot. I quite enjoyed meeting Orson and will follow his adventures.
John Stratford
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new twist on old myths

This was my first read of David Delaney's work. I am hooked! A great story interwoven with a new twist on old myths.
Most of us who read the reviews on books read a lot. There is nothing better than a book that is a joy to read for story and content and writing. It makes the book too short no matter how big it is. I am now a fan and got the rest of the Paragon Society novels by David Delaney before I finished so I did not have to wait.
Jason
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great pulp fantasy read. Entertaining and fast moving story line. Loved the banter between the two main characters. The storyline was entertaining and action packed from beginning to end with some nice snarky moments as well. Looking forward to reading more about the Paragon society and the main characters!
Thomas Salapa
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unable to put it down

I am not the fastest reader, but I finished Orson in a few hours. The story was fast paced keeping the reader fully engaged in the story. The characters were well thought out and their actions totally believable. I love Urban Fantasy and I loved this book. I am downloading the next one after I complete this review.
Michael  w Hall
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orson is just plain awesome

I loved this story and the characters. The author makes the unbelievable, believable by putting supernatural abilities to everyday people. Orson is a everyday Cali kid that falls way In over his head. Go e this a chance and I'm certain you will fall in lo e with his story.
Chris Hillman
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chance not wasted

Saw this as one of those "you may be interested" pop ups and took a sample. I was left wanting more so got the full book and to say I was hooked would be an understatement. I was loathed that i had to put the book down and do real life stuff. Totally recommended.
Steven Whitfield
Bit of fun Teen Urban Fantasy

Had a hard time not getting Mega with this book but his wordsmith work is sound.
The unveiling of the Supernatural would in real life be much like the author has written.
MC kept wanting a Supernatural 101 YouTube channel just so he could know "That's a Thing!!!!"
James Learman
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i wish i could do half stars on here it would be a 4 and a half well written good characters and a nice plot. it has a good feel for an old story of a young man with new powers. his supporting cast has people die and good people make bad decisions. a well put together book im already started on the next one. first book i havent been able to put down since the nate temple series
Lisa D. Watts
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice beginning

I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book because the MC is a teenager; but Orson turns out to be pretty cool. I like his conversations with "himself" and he seems to be pretty quick on the uptake. I'm looking forward to discovering more about him throughout this series.
Pamela Cunningham
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Paragon Society Novel

This was a great start to a new urban /legend /young adult paranormal series I really liked the plot of this book along with the main and character so much happened to Orson in this one book I'm looking forward too seeing how this all play's out .
Char Lynerd
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story telling.

I enjoyed this first book in the Paragon Society and continuing with reading the next book. The characters are great and many are introduced so you look forward to reading their stories.
Lisa Phillips
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The finest of tales. A master work of the storytellers art.

Believable characters, a realistic world, a full compass story arch, what more could you want? I’m ready for the next book. Wow time well spent. Thank you to the author for sharing his craft.
Stephen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a read

The story was fun, light paced and easy to finish in a day. Pretty entertaining overall, I don’t know how I feel with each book being a different POV but I’ll give book 2 a shot and see if I like it for sure.
Dark Ape
Reminds me a bit of Bill the Vampire, but liked this a bit more since he has more control and owns up to his beast.
Lewis Clymore
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

A gem in the coal bin! What a pleasant surprise to stumble across this book. Good story line, humble protagonist, clever wit with hints of Dresden and Deadpool. Loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Shadowstrut-A Night Warden Novel
  • Shadow Magic (Darkling Mage, #1)
  • Swing Shift
  • Dragon Slayer (Dragon Slayer #1)
  • Head Down (The Valens Legacy, #4)
  • Vegas Rules (The Valens Legacy, #7)
  • Over Our Heads (The Valens Legacy, #3)
  • Black Friday (The Valens Legacy, #1)
  • Demon Divine (Demon Accords, #14)
  • Stand On It (The Valens Legacy, #6)
  • Perfect Strangers (The Valens Legacy, #2)
  • When It Falls (The Valens Legacy, #5)
  • The Lost Ranger (Alex Rogers Adventure #1)
  • Arcane Transmogrification (Pentacle, #2)
  • Supermage (Rise to Omniscience, #1)
  • Godless (Feathers and Fire, #7)
  • Breaking Ground (Halcyon Rising #1)
  • Ascension (Nate Temple Chronicles #13)
David Delaney has been telling stories since he was a little kid. Of course, many of those early stories were told to get him out of whatever trouble he had gotten himself into. (But if his mom is reading this, he never lied – honest.)

As an adult, David continued telling stories, but a specialized kind of story called - The Television Promo (basically the TV show version of a movie tra

Paragon Society (3 books)
  • Gypsy Witch (Paragon Society #2)
  • Lucy (Paragon Society #3)
“I wasted a lot of time, and the only thing I learned was that people seldom, if ever, change their minds.” 0 likes
“And that's the concept I want you to grasp and understand — choices always have consequences. That is an absolute universal truth.” 0 likes