Start by marking “Cobwebs” as Want to Read:
Cobwebs

Cobwebs

The pattern will change . . .
because I am here. A girl walks across the Brooklyn Bridge, a backpack full of knitting slung over her shoulder, a green fish kite in her hand.

A boy balances on the bridge's crisscross webbing, waiting for the girl to pass.

Are they angels? Spiders? In love? Or in danger? Once they connect, they'll start a chain of events that could stretch out
Published August 1st 2005 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2004)

Shazza Maddog
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Teenage Nancy lives in the city and is different - not because her parents live separately from each other, or because she's not that interested in boys, or because she doesn't shave her legs - but because she's not entirely human. Her father, Ned, is almost a direct descendent of Anansi, the spider god of Africa; her mother's family line comes from West Virginia and are weavers and potters, and her grandfather is Italian. They're all spider-like in their own way - weavers and climbers and potte ...more
Shannon Rammler
Very interesting storyline, indeed.
Emily G
Aug 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was just bad. The story line had no depth. Characters were introduced too fast which left the reader trying to decipher who was who. There were no transitions. One moment you're on the Brooklyn Bridge, the next you're in their apartment. You re-read to find out when they walked, or got on a train, or just moved period, but alas nothing about movement is written. The lack of transitions is totally confusing. Basically the whole book can be summed up as: Nancy's family has a secret. Some ...more
Bethany
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm convinced that the other people who left reviews for this book must have read a different book? Everything is pretty straightforward. It's not A+ writing, and some plot points I never really cared for, but the POV shifts once or twice (briefly) in the whole book, and the way characters are constantly referenced (like, in the first ~20 pages you know who everyone is) there's no confusion over who's who.

Seriously if you actually read the book it's not confusing. I would probably give it three
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
I read this in middle school. I stumbled upon it along with a few others books that I am very glad I found. It was not like anything I had read before, but that was part of the magic, I had no idea what to expect when I agreed to start this book, and was very pleased with the result! Beautiful, unique, and shows a perspective I had never really considered, the perspective of a spider!

For Full Review click Here
Shelley
Nov 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban, ya-fantasy-low
Ugh! This book made no sense! It would have been better written in verse since the author seeed to have trouble putting complete sentences together. The ever-changing POVs also drove me nuts. The conversations (or looks or character thoughts) always hinted at secrets between various characters that, for some reason, were never revealed to the reader.
It could have been a nice coming of age, intergenerational, romance story if not for the horrible writing. The author should have given her ideas t
Diana
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it
It is not hard to bring out the beauty in every, thing; living or otherwise. Yet to be able to blend a romance with the natural beauty of the arachnid, along with a myth and the turmoil that comes in handling the changes wrought upon by society, adolescence and family. It's not easy and there are times where the teenager is not so much of a teenager but it's still quite invoking of emotions on the readers behalf.
Ashley Jimenez
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
When I first tried reading this book, I put it down. I could not, for the life of me, get interested in it. Then I realized that some good books don't have that beginning that draws you in. I picked it back up a few months later and started over. I don't regret trying it for the second time. There's just so much going on and it all makes sense in the end. It's lovely.
Sarah Mottaghinejad
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book really captures the essence of adolescence, which is a hard effect to achieve as an adult. The whole spider thing is probably what made this book so interesting. When you read a lot, it's nice to see someone coming up with something you've never read before.
Regina Durst
For a book that looks as intriguing as it does, it definitely was a let-down. I thought that there was a lot more that could have been done with these creative characters and setup.
Next time, if I'm in the mood for Anansi, I'll go check out Neil Gaiman's book instead.
Megalion
A YA with a potentially interesting take on the supernatural. Except it just didn't do it for me.

I consider my reaction to be of simple personal bias thus make no recommendation for or against.
Bcpl
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy likers
Spiderpeople shouldn't shave their legs. Less fun and less adventure than Marvel Comics Spiderman...reminds of Neil Gaiman but less clever and not nearly as compelling. A coming of age fantasy for YAs. Not too racy for the tweens, but maybe boring...
Maureen
Sep 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A messy, sticky web of wonderfulness
Bez
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not very good
Kristina
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
It was intersting and not the best thing i read but not the worse.
Katrina Sutton
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-paranormal, own
To be honest, I really couldn't get into this book. That is all I have to say.
Kennedy
Oct 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm so glad I didn't buy this.
Annie
Jul 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007_books
What it's like to grow up part human/part magical spider in Brooklyn. Picked this up out of a basket while house sitting and really liked it.
Elizabeth
Dec 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
1 star.
Olivia
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiring
The writing style was really good, though the story became a bit predictable towards the third of the book. I haven't read other books like this much, so for now, I rated it a four star book. :)
Tessa
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
It was good. but i was confused through a good part of the book, though.
Breanna
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing it was different and had unexpected twists and turns.
Gabby
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This book did confuse me, but I thought it was cute as well. So overall I had fun reading it.
Sam
  • Pale Phoenix
  • The Perilous Journey of the Donner Party
  • Journey
  • It Happened One Night
  • The Dark Flight Down (Book of Dead Days, #2)
  • The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald, #1)
  • Secret Confessions of the Applewood PTA
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz
  • Shadowdance
  • The Thrall's Tale
  • Twilight Child
  • Falling Is Like This
  • Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles, #1 )
  • Fingers
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
“I sort of like you," she said. "God knows why. You're weird as anything, and I hate the creepy way you lurk around following me. You could just ask me to go somewhere, you know."

"Like you'd go." Dion said.

"Not if I didn't want to."

"Then I'd have to try."

"What?" She looked him sharply in the eye.

"To make you want to.”