Start by marking “The Oath” as Want to Read:
The Oath

The Oath

1955. The polished veneer of a boys boarding school in Northern England masks a cadre of wickedness.

Seniors viciously torment any junior they deem unfit. Jonathan Simon, in his first term is warned that there are three monsters in his dorm; seniors Flicker, Sleeth and Tunk, and that the code of conduct mandates no snitching. Simon befriends two other juniors; p
Published February 28th 2019 by The Book Guild UK

To ask other readers questions about The Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oath

Dash fan
4.5☆ Exciting, Dark, Thrilling, Page Turner!

The Oath is such an Exciting, Dark and Thrilling Read, once I started reading I was hooked.

I'm not going to go into any detail about the plot as the blurb gives an intriguing look into what The Oath is about.
It's so good i urge you to delve into the horror, chaos and underhanded, dangerous tactics of the bullying prefects.

I really liked how Lewis built up the dark and sinister atmosphere of Blackleigh Sch
Jessica Belmont
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Oath is a dark, gripping read that I was really excited about as soon as I read the blurb. This story takes you into a world of an all-boys school in the 1950s. Dark, raw and powerful, and a book boy young adults and adults can learn something from.

The boys we focus in on are under immense amount of stress as they are viciously tormented by bullies. An all too real issue that was difficult to read about. I find stories of bullying tragic, and this one in particular was difficult
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources and The Book Guild UK for this free copy.

Bullying, Violence, Suicide,
Loss, Grief

Gay

Honestly books like this make me think that all boarding schools in Europe
Donna Maguire

I thought that this was a really well written story that kept me on the edge of my seat.

I read the book over a couple of nights and I loved the twists and turns that the author added to the plot and I found myself becoming addicted by the storyline, he really brought what it would have been like back in the 1950s to life. This period was quite a bit before my time but he made it feel realistic and that really helped my enjoyment.

I thought that the pace for the bo
Naomi
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the first book I have read from Michael L Lewis.

The book is set in an English all-boys boarding school during the mid 1950s. The focus is Trafalgar - a house within the school were reputations are important and history is upheld without question. Members of Trafalgar do not buck the system, they do not snitch, and the House Captains and prefects hand out the discipline the younger lads ("juniors") to keep them in line. Some are downright vicious in their relentless tormenting.
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing read that covered a vast range of topics, some lighter and some darker in tone. Some of the darker topics may be uncomfortable for some, although I did find that these were well handled to give realism without making the read too wrenching.

The characters were il certainly interesting, and given the various topics covered the changing viewpoints made this book a well rounded story. Three friends make a blood pact to not be bullied again, and the story which cont
Ashley Gillan
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
So for those of us not raised in the traditional British upper-class (therefore, uh, most of us) the idea of an all-male boarding school is caged in secrecy and brings up images of raucous boy behavior and hazing - and The Oath is like all of those nightmares brought to life in a suspenseful drama that makes readers wonder if they could survive the onslaught.

There’s three main characters who are “juniors” at a prestigious school in Northern England - Arthur, Ian and Jonathan. They so
Sandra Harris
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about the issue of bullying, set in an English boarding school. There is a lot of genuinely interesting description in each scene. You get to know the backgrounds of the boys on both sides of the bullying that occurs, and the culture that allows it. In addition to it being a story you can get caught up in, parents or teachers who need to discuss bullying with their kids would find many discussion points. And young adults would find themselves somewhere in the group of boys, as som ...more
Maria Sinclair
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I find it difficult to put into words my feelings around The Oath. As I said at the start, it is a book that will take you so far out of your comfort zone that to say I enjoyed it seems to undermine the content of the book. The subject matter makes “enjoy” feel like the wrong word, but at the same time it was so utterly compelling that I found it increasingly hard to step away from. It was all-consuming and re-entering the real word for life’s essentials, such as food, felt quite jarring.
Charlotte Taft